Omg what has Square Enix done? FFXII's English voice acting...

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
...sounds terrible :(

Sounds like a bad Shakespearean movie adaptation.

I'm really disappointed.

Here, form your own opinion:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lgbYLYqyzLU&search=final%20fantasy%20xii%20english
ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 ffxjunky06
Member since 2006 • 8351 Posts
I see what you mean. Terrible Voice Acting Indeed. Well from what i could see, the game look Brilliant and the Battle System actually works so im all for the game. As long as the Voice Acting doesnt Spoil it too much them i guess it will be ok. 
GreatMno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 GreatMno
Member since 2004 • 2601 Posts
I don't know that much about voice acting and I don't really care all that much about it. If nothing else I'll just tune them out and read the subtitles.
ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ffxjunky06
[QUOTE="GreatMno"] I don't know that much about voice acting and I don't really care all that much about it. If nothing else I'll just tune them out and read the subtitles.

Exactly. The Voice Acting isnt the Heart of the Game, it is the Story, Gameplay, Characters and other Great Elements that make a Game what it is. Not the Voice Acting.
diablos_slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 diablos_slayer
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts
it would be cool if you could go to options and turn off the voice acting and play like the classics..i kind of like it more when i can read the dialog myself.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts

it would be cool if you could go to options and turn off the voice acting and play like the classics..i kind of like it more when i can read the dialog myself. diablos_slayer

I would never do that :P.

I think a game has to have good voice acting or everything just sounds weird lol

I have no sound on this computer, so i just watched the video not the voice acting :P.

AsianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 AsianGamer
Member since 2005 • 1052 Posts
its bad, but some of it good
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
I personally think it's brilliant! And i'm serious. I prefer it to X. It reminds me of Krull.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spurs_Fan
You prefer the voice acting to FFX? I thoguht the FFX voice acting was great :?
ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ffxjunky06
You prefer the voice acting to FFX? I thoguht the FFX voice acting was great :?Spurs_Fan
Please Stick to the topic. We dont want to go Off-Topic here.

We IMO the Voice Acting is Pretty Aweful and if i could turn it off then i would.
SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
I love the voice acting! I had my doubts that Square would take the risk of actually having the voice acting match the world of Ivalice, that is a more historical European world. The names of the characters, their clothing and the lifestyles that some of them seem to live from what I've seen on YouTube all point to a post-modern European feel, definetely influenced by Germany and Holland, so why should the voice acting not do so aswell? Personally, I was scared that Square would employ the same type of voice acting found in FFX, and that probably would have thrown the entire feel of the game out to lunch. I like it a lot, good work Square! I seriously can't wait for this game!
Dark_Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark_Kain
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed the voice acting. Like Sky Castle said, it definitely fits the setting that they are trying to display. And almost every voice acted game beats the pants off of FFX's voice acting, so I guess this game did not have much to follow.
ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ffxjunky06
I am Surprised that a lot of you liked the Voice Acting. Well we are not al the same and we have different opinions. Well lets hope i enjoy the Voice Acting when i buy the game.
OGEpisodes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 OGEpisodes
Member since 2003 • 2543 Posts
I think the voice acting sounds great, it's very nice to see some European voice actors in the game. So far so good, but of course I'll have to make my final judgement when the game is actually released.
hellsingfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hellsingfan666
Member since 2004 • 602 Posts
voice acting sounds fine to me better then some other games i've played anyway
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="ffxjunky06"]I am Surprised that a lot of you liked the Voice Acting. Well we are not al the same and we have different opinions. Well lets hope i enjoy the Voice Acting when i buy the game.

IMO, the Japanese voice acting sounds great.

Too bad it's on a regular dvd and won't include the Japanese dialogue.

If this was a PS3 game, and it were on a blu-ray disc that included both English and Japanese, I'd just turn off the English and read subtitles w/ the Japanese voice acting.
FinalxRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FinalxRain
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

its kind of good... i think it fits with the whole feel of the game

but... im disappointed with Frans VA. I pictured it more like Lulu from FFX or something like that.

is there a link to a video with better quality/audio?!

ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ffxjunky06
I think the voice acting sounds great, it's very nice to see some European voice actors in the game. So far so good, but of course I'll have to make my final judgement when the game is actually released.Somegamer
Exactly. We are only getting a few Voice Acting Parts to Final Fantasy XII in that Clip and so we cant really Judge the Voice Acting through that Clip. One that Note, i think the game is going to be a Great Final Fantasy game and a Good Addition to the Series.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Spurs_Fan

Yeah when i first saw pictures and clips of this game, i thought it didn't look that good. My thoughts on it now are completely the opposite. I think it looks amazing, i can't wait. Maybe i will change my mind about my thoughts on FFXIII :)

Anyway back on topic :D

ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ffxjunky06
Well even now no-one knows if the game is good or bad. We will have to wait. Dont get your hopes up until you play the game.
GSZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GSZX
Member since 2004 • 7845 Posts
You prefer the voice acting to FFX? I thoguht the FFX voice acting was great :?Spurs_Fan

I thought it kinda flip-flopped throughout the game. But back on topic I think that FF12's VO sounds worse than that  movie adaption of the Odyssey that had parts of the Illiod.
255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 255Loner
Member since 2005 • 1781 Posts
[This section moderated by 255Loner]It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spurs_Fan

[This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.255Loner

I wouldn't call everybody idiots, and FFX is my favourite game of all times aswell but i didn't think it had bad voice acting :P

255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 255Loner

[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.Spurs_Fan

I wouldn't call everybody idiots, and FFX is my favourite game of all times aswell but i didn't think it had bad voice acting

First of all, if you don't like what I did, you can always edit my post (you have that power) and edit out the first sentence. That would be your responsibility to moderate your fellow board-goers. Secondly, almost all voices and lip movements were off by at least half a second throughout the entire game. I actually saw how the game could have had better-than-decent lip-synchronization if they made the lips act at least half a second faster.
the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 the_unbroken
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
GOD, that voice acting sucked, I've seen better voice acting in Dynasty Warriors game's, And thats bad.
255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 255Loner
GOD, that voice acting sucked, I've seen better voice acting in Dynasty Warriors game's, And thats bad.the_unbroken
Psh. Have you seen my link? una avis non ver facit
the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_unbroken

[QUOTE="the_unbroken"]GOD, that voice acting sucked, I've seen better voice acting in Dynasty Warriors game's, And thats bad.255Loner
Psh. Have you seen my link? una avis non ver facit

I just watched it, And I see what you mean, its better in your version, I retract my statement

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="Spurs_Fan"]

[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.255Loner

I wouldn't call everybody idiots, and FFX is my favourite game of all times aswell but i didn't think it had bad voice acting

First of all, if you don't like what I did, you can always edit my post (you have that power) and edit out the first sentence. That would be your responsibility to moderate your fellow board-goers. Secondly, almost all voices and lip movements were off by at least half a second throughout the entire game. I actually saw how the game could have had better-than-decent lip-synchronization if they made the lips act at least half a second faster.

You are pretty pushy aren't you? As an Officer you shouldn't resort to flaming the people here for not having heard a decent version. Please refrain from doing that in the future.

the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_unbroken
[QUOTE="255Loner"][QUOTE="Spurs_Fan"]

[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.AzelKosMos

You are pretty pushy aren't you? As an Officer you shouldn't resort to flaming the people here for not having heard a decent version. Please refrain from doing that in the future.

Yes, I agree, you, We are officers, And we are ment to set an example, And you cant call people names just because they have a diffirent opinion, Or saw the wrong version of something (god, that is a stupid reason to get mad). so be an officer, And stop being childish

GSZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GSZX
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 255Loner
[QUOTE="GSZX"] I'll admit it's better. I still hate it.
[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.

You're the idiot for watching G4.

It's not my video. XD
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Please everybody stay on-topic or this will be locked and deleted no questions asked, we dont need flamewars here.

Personally I was really impressed when I watched the trailer, despite its poor audio and video quality the voice acting seemed more than solid. It gave me the impression of very real and tangible characters with a story too them. The voices seemed to represent the people very well and I really look forward to hearing more. Not to mention I thought the accents were spot on and its nice to hear some different flavoures concerning the type of voices we get in video games these days (it didnt seem over the top either).

255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 255Loner
I wouldn't call everybody idiots, and FFX is my favourite game of all times aswell but i didn't think it had bad voice acting :PSpurs_Fan
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]You are pretty pushy aren't you? As an Officer you shouldn't resort to flaming the people here for not having heard a decent version. Please refrain from doing that in the future.the_unbroken
Yes, I agree, you, We are officers, And we are ment to set an example, And you cant call people names just because they have a diffirent opinion, Or saw the wrong version of something (god, that is a stupid reason to get mad). so be an officer, And stop being childish

Fixed. I apologise.
GSZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GSZX
[QUOTE="255Loner"][QUOTE="GSZX"] I'll admit it's better. I still hate it.
[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner] It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.

You're the idiot for watching G4.

It's not my video. XD

Oh. My apologies then.
sazimamajoko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sazimamajoko
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
Personally i like it, sounds perfectly fine to me.
255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 255Loner
[QUOTE="255Loner"][QUOTE="GSZX"]You're the idiot for watching G4.GSZX
It's not my video. XD

Oh. My apologies then.

I also wasn't the one who moderated you. >_>
-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts
Okay everyone!  We need to stay on topic or this will be closed.
255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 255Loner
d(^_~d) Personally, I loved the voice-acting. It is a major improvement over Final Fantasy X, and that's big to me, since Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game. Although I'm rather miffed about the comprimise of FMV quality due to most of their CGI resources were appropriated towards the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Chidren movie, but it's not that bad, but still worse than X. >_>
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
Alright, I feel that most people that have read this thread haven't actually seen what G4 or youtube said about the trailer (no offense). This isn't the "official" english trailer. It is the trailer shown at E3, but until Square-Enix actually releases the official trailer of FFXII, we can only get some idea of voice acting from the semi-poor audio quality of this trailer.
gamerrgurrl9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamerrgurrl9
Member since 2005 • 1982 Posts
The voice acting sounds fine to me.I would've changed a few of the voices though.
djnickz06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 djnickz06
Member since 2006 • 276 Posts

I think the voice acting is great. I give it 9/10. I think Square-Enix went to the right direction of getting the right actors to the right character in the right environment of the game. In an environment that looks like StarWars Episode 1, the voice to each character pretty much going good.

Playing the Japanese version and comparing it to the English version, I can't say much yet. But for Square-Enix US, I have great hopes!

maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 maa4208
Member since 2004 • 14543 Posts
From what FFXII looks like (kind of "old", but w/ airships :P) I think the voice acting fits well. It sets the tone and the setting well, IMO. You wouldn't want some all high-pitched squeaky voice for a medieval character, would you? :P
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="255Loner"][This section moderated by 255Loner]It's because he provided the crappy-quality version of the trailer. Here's the high-quality one from G4's X-Play that'll make you ALL love the voice-acting:http://youtube.com/watch?v=evB76a6jV_4 And furthermore, though Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game I own, even I am mature enough to admit that it had crappy voice acting, though I commend Square-Enix for doing an okay job for their very first game with voice-acting in it.

This version sounds much better.

But the one scene with the close-up of Penelo...the Japanese voice actor's line still expressed much more genuine emotion.

Am I being too picky here? :?
cloudstrife145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#44 cloudstrife145
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts
It's okay. Not that amazing or bad but more in the middle.
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#45 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts
the thing i hate about it is the awfully heavy english accents. i always thought it was a cheesy accent.
ff-leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ff-leader
Member since 2006 • 2400 Posts
I think the voice acting is great and disapointed that officers cant work together:(
the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_unbroken

I think the voice acting is great and disapointed that officers cant work together:(ff-leader

I feel this is a closed subject. So dont bring it up again, The confrontation is over, so dont mention it

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AzelKosMos

the thing i hate about it is the awfully heavy english accents. i always thought it was a cheesy accent.jordina

I am English. Thank you for saying my people are "cheesy"

I liked the medieval feel of the voices. It suits the style of the game perfectly.

the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_unbroken

[QUOTE="jordina"]the thing i hate about it is the awfully heavy english accents. i always thought it was a cheesy accent.AzelKosMos

I am English. Thank you for saying my people are "cheesy"

I liked the medieval feel of the voices. It suits the style of the game perfectly.

Yes it does suit it, But their accents seem to be corny, Well not so much the accents as the words.