If you had to choose 1 Square-Enix game...

Avatar image for XIIAxelCrossIIX
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 XIIAxelCrossIIX
Member since 2005 • 1115 Posts
 If you had to pick one Square-Enix game, just one, what game would that be? It can be any game from either company, Enix, Squaresoft, or Square-Enix. It doesn't matter if it was before or after the merge of the two... What game would you chose? Now remember, this is the only Square-Enix game you'll be playing for the rest of your life, don't just pick your favorite game. You have to look at all the different aspects of each one of your favorites. Longevity, replay value, fun factor, etc.

It was a hard choice...I've actually been sitting here for the past 5 minutes comtemplating it, but I've made a choice. I'd definitely have to pick...Final Fantasy VIII. For those of you who know me well on this site, that may give you a heart attack for a breif moment, considering it's near the bottom of my list in Squenix games.

My choice comes from numerous things. First, there is so much you can do in that game, and I never ever get bored with the side quests and just walking around in it listening to the beautiful soundtrack. The replay value for it, for me at least, is extremely high. In this case, replay value is extremely important. Next, the story never gets boring to me, I always love seeing the little love triangle go on between Seifer, Zell, and Squall (yes...that was a joke). And lastly (well...the last major reason..there are others..but these are the three main reasons) the game's battle system and customization system lets you keep on playing even after you've actually beaten "the final boss" (for those of you who haven't beaten this game yet). The way the game lets the monsters level up next to you is sheer genius. Many, many people hated this system and still do. I on the other hand, don't think of it as "Oh, no matter how much I level up, the monsters will still be catching up to me". I think of it as adding to the challenge, along with giving you an easier chance to level up, which is good for those of us, including myself, who like to get to that level 99.

Well...that was a lot... What are your thoughts on your pick?
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Toucanbird
Member since 2004 • 6440 Posts

Well, I would be doing a personal battle for either FFVII, FFX, or FF Tactics.

I really wouldn't be able to choose between those three. They are by far my favorite three Square-Enix games. I think I would just barely go with FFVII. But barely.

I really like everything about these three games, so it makes it just too difficult to decide.

Avatar image for Playstationgeek
Playstationgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Playstationgeek
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

Final fantasy 8 of course!! :P lol

jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts

probably vii and x.

one of them.

mr_bob978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mr_bob978
Member since 2004 • 754 Posts
FFVII or VIII.
BiggsWedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BiggsWedge
Member since 2005 • 2916 Posts
fore me it would be FFVII why i have beaten that game so many times it won't get borred to me.
SoulSEEKER707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 SoulSEEKER707
Member since 2006 • 5011 Posts
Final Fantasy VII or X.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
I would pick Kingdom Heart simply because it will have KH characters and FF characters. I will have the best of both worlds picking KH.
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XIIAxelCrossIIX
Nice choices, guys. Seems like the popular vote here is VII, heh. I probably would have chosen that one, also, had it not been for the atmosphere VIII gives off, and the sheer nostalgia.
ruckinnumber2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 ruckinnumber2
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts
Final Fantasy VI without a doubt.  I could keep playing that game forever and never tire of beating Kefka.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts
7 or 10
Dark_Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark_Kain
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
FF VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, but if I could only choose one game I think I would go with Chrono Cross. Worthy sequel to Trigger with plenty of characters, multiple endings, and replay value up the wazoo. Though I'm tempted about Breath of Fire 1 for nostalgia's sake. Wasn't made by square, but they did publish the US release.
Avatar image for italianstalianb
italianstalianb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 italianstalianb
Member since 2004 • 552 Posts
Definatly FFVII
gman56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gman56
Member since 2004 • 6542 Posts
Final Fantasy X, that game is fun over and over.
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XIIAxelCrossIIX
[QUOTE="Gorman7147"]FF VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, but if I could only choose one game I think I would go with Chrono Cross. Worthy sequel to Trigger with plenty of characters, multiple endings, and replay value up the wazoo. Though I'm tempted about Breath of Fire 1 for nostalgia's sake. Wasn't made by square, but they did publish the US release.

Hmm..shame on me. I forgot about that little classic. Chrono Cross was most definitely the most enjoyable game I've played. Man...the replay value, too... Definitely a game I'd like to have if it was the only one. I'm still sticking with VIII just because I can play it over and over without getting bored of the story. *goes to play VIII*
kingdom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingdom09
Member since 2005 • 53071 Posts

I would pick Kingdom Heart simply because it will have KH characters and FF characters. I will have the best of both worlds picking KH.Soulja_West

I agree, KH is one of my favorite games and is my favorite game from the Square-Eniz aresenol.

FullMetalCraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FullMetalCraze
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
Final Fantasy VII or X I really can't decide.  The replay is awsome and they are good games in general. 
DabLeaonhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DabLeaonhart
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

Well i would definately choose 8. and im extremely happy there are a few more on this site that agree with me. everyone of my friends fight with me hours upon hours that 7 is better. now i know that u could go both ways but i feel 8 just had a better storyline and more realistic characters which appealed to me.

its a tough decision between chrono cross and final fantasy 7 for 2nd place. i might have to go with chrono cross, but just barely.

10 brings up the rear because of blitzball pissing me off beyond belief.

TwistedSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TwistedSeven
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII... the best one 8)
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XIIAxelCrossIIX

Well i would definately choose 8. and im extremely happy there are a few more on this site that agree with me. everyone of my friends fight with me hours upon hours that 7 is better. now i know that u could go both ways but i feel 8 just had a better storyline and more realistic characters which appealed to me.

its a tough decision between chrono cross and final fantasy 7 for 2nd place. i might have to go with chrono cross, but just barely.

10 brings up the rear because of blitzball pissing me off beyond belief.

DabLeaonhart

Heh, indeed. I think VIII does have a more developed story and a better wealth of information on it's characters. As for the X comment on blitzball, I don't think it's hard, I just never got into it as much as others.
doreenw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 doreenw
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Well I seem to be alone on this but my 1st choice would be IX with VIII +X tied for 2nd.  I love the card game in IX. I could and have played it for hours.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Final Fantasy XI

Because all the games mentioned have an end, while that one does not. I could spend the next couple of years amassing a fortune, leveling every job to 75, getting the best gear for every job, completing every storyline and lots more. Having clocked more than 2500 hours of real-time gameplay over less than 18 months I know that if I ever had to play one Square-enix game forever it would be that... not to mention the fact that with continued support and expansions packs I would never be bored.

With one special condition which will remain secret of course. 

mjhacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 mjhacker
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

Final Fantasy XI

Because all the games mentioned have an end, while that one does not. I could spend the next couple of years amassing a fortune, leveling every job to 75, getting the best gear for every job, completing every storyline and lots more. Having clocked more than 2500 hours of real-time gameplay over less than 18 months I know that if I ever had to play one Square-enix game forever it would be that... not to mention the fact that with continued support and expansions packs I would never be bored.

With one special condition which will remain secret of course.

Arath_1

Wow... I was going to say the exact same thing.  Yeah, I could play FFVII until doomsday, but once I maxed out everyone's levels and beat all the Weapons, where would I go from there?

Yeah, if I had only one SE game to play from now on, it'd probably be FFXI.
phoenixboyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 phoenixboyz
Member since 2005 • 428 Posts

FF7 is my first choice

maybe FFX would be my second

OGEpisodes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OGEpisodes
Member since 2003 • 2543 Posts
Well, FFVI is my favourite but if I could only pick one it would probably be FFVIII since it has the best extras/side quests in the series.
DabLeaonhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DabLeaonhart
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

Well I seem to be alone on this but my 1st choice would be IX with VIII +X tied for 2nd.  I love the card game in IX. I could and have played it for hours. doreenw

9 was a little too childish for me and way too easy. plus it went back to having to level your character up for hours to finish the game. i liked 8 and 10 because it got away from that.

also i thought the card game was pointless in 9.... never really enjoyed it.

and to the comment about blitzball... it wasnt hard for me either, i just found it extremely annoying trying to get the item to completely level up wakka's ultimate weapon. i mean i had add about 5-10 hours just to get it. and to the fact that it wasnt hard.... i never lost one blitzball match.... including the first one.... that was the hardest and most fun blitzball game i played... the little trophy scene was kinda cool too all though i think they could of made a secret FMV sequence for it. with him accepting the trophy or something. would have been cool.

MaChaorules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 MaChaorules
Member since 2005 • 4951 Posts
Final Fantasy VII easily
kingdom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kingdom09
Member since 2005 • 53071 Posts

Well, FFVI is my favourite but if I could only pick one it would probably be FFVIII since it has the best extras/side quests in the series.Somegamer

I don't get why you don't pick FFVI if it is your fav then?  I mean, I would choose my fav if I had to choose.

XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XIIAxelCrossIIX

[QUOTE="Somegamer"]Well, FFVI is my favourite but if I could only pick one it would probably be FFVIII since it has the best extras/side quests in the series.kingdom09

I don't get why you don't pick FFVI if it is your fav then? I mean, I would choose my fav if I had to choose.

Well, like I said earlier, this will be the only SE game you'll be playing for the rest of your life. And as he said, Final Fantasy VI and VII are my favorites, but I still chose VIII just because of some certain other aspects of the game that VI and VII don't offer me. Such as the abundant amount of side quests it gives you. I mean, the only real reason VI and VII are my favorties are because of the nostalgia, the story, and the sheer amount of emotion in those games. I mean the battle systems aren't the best. With the exception of VI, I think that had the most inovative system to ever grace this planet. The use of Espers and Magicite is amazing in combonation with magic.

Anyway... I'm getting off topic. You have to look at the games in the long run. As someone else said, XI is pretty much the perfect choice, but I've played that game in and out so I grew tired of it after 2 years of non-stop action. Also, since this is supposed to be semi-realistic, I wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee for the rest of my life.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Well, like I said earlier, this will be the only SE game you'll be playing for the rest of your life. And as he said, Final Fantasy VI and VII are my favorites, but I still chose VIII just because of some certain other aspects of the game that VI and VII don't offer me. Such as the abundant amount of side quests it gives you. I mean, the only real reason VI and VII are my favorties are because of the nostalgia, the story, and the sheer amount of emotion in those games. I mean the battle systems aren't the best. With the exception of VI, I think that had the most inovative system to ever grace this planet. The use of Espers and Magicite is amazing in combonation with magic.

Anyway... I'm getting off topic. You have to look at the games in the long run. As someone else said, XI is pretty much the perfect choice, but I've played that game in and out so I grew tired of it after 2 years of non-stop action. Also, since this is supposed to be semi-realistic, I wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee for the rest of my life.
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Too many people are choosing their favourite title as opposed to one that would last them the rest of their life. Which is fair enough, but take into consideration that if you had nothing else to play except one title, you would finish, beat it and max it out in less than a couple of months (thats pushing it).

A monthly fee of 12.95 a month is not very much at all and for as much gameplay as it offers is a reasonable price I think. Besides semi-realistic and only one game for the rest of your life shouldnt be in the same sentence. Even XI would grow stale after a while, but it would be a considerably longer while than any other title mentioned.

Final Fantasy X for example one of the biggest games with the most to offer is 100% completable in under 250 hours. Once you've done that there is nothing left to do except play the same game over again. Even playing it 10 times maxing everything out (I am talking the PAL version here including Dark Aeons) and under the assumption that every time takes 250 hours to complete you would not have a game that would last you as long as XI.