Final Fantasy Fans: Are we internally divided?

Avatar image for Yamibakeru-sama
Yamibakeru-sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yamibakeru-sama
Member since 2005 • 802 Posts

Do you think we are? Allow me to present my postulation. it may or may not be accurate, Just a reflection of what I've seen on the 12 boards and the 7 tech demo board.

I feel the Final Fantasy Fans and rather analogous to communists. We have hardliners and reformists. Hardliners feel the any Final Fantasy, in general, after VI was crap except IX, and that IX is the most underrated FF, and is the best, while VII and VIII are overrated. This group likes the medieval feel to Final Fantasy, when the long ranged character was an Archer, and guns never existed. These hardliners feel that the true heyday of Final Fantasy was in IV, V and VI. Generally, these are veterans.

Then you have the reformists. This group can't stand the SNES era FFs, much less the NES era, as the graphics suck compared to VII and anything above it. They feel that IX was a flop, and that VII or VIII is the best FF, and deserves to be exhalted in all greatness. They like FFVII and VIII's feel of being high-tech and all mechanized, and are generally newcomers and graphics whore (though the latter may be an exaggeration.

What is your view? Do you agree with the notion? Or is it retardedly shallow and naive? Myself? I stand on the borderline. I feel that every FF was special and fun in it's own way, as all are different.

softcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 softcloud
Member since 2003 • 275 Posts
I think you are right in everything you have mentioned. I too have noticed a trend of people leaning either or way. Those who prefer pre-FF7 games and those who praise FF7 and post FF7 games. Myself I'd have to agree with you again with being borderline, although I'd prefer calling it "the Neutral line". I grew up playing FF1 and the other pre-FF7 games. Although FF7 is my favorite, and FFX was epic as well, and to me FF1 still offers the most replay value, my reasoning is not behind the tech/mechanical aspect of the game, but rather it's overall feel, given the gameplay, story, etc. Every installment in the series deserves it's own praise for achieving new grounds in video games. Each installment is unique and the characters weapons fit each storyline and environment perfectly. All in all, if the Final Fantasy Community is "truly" divided, you need to include a third category that is those who love Final Fantasy for each games unique features, such as I.
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
Honestly, I think I'm a combination of the two. I loved the SNES and NES Final Fantasies, but then again, I also liked all of the newer FFs (except for FFXI). Then of course, I don't really think that FFIX is the most underrated game, it just isn't the best. so, That leaves me in the middle. Now, on to the question, yes, Final Fantasy Fans are divided because 1) not everyone started the FF series back on the NES or SNES so they're most used to the newer "look" of the PS1 and up games. Also, there are always people that compare FFs and say that one is better then teh other and then get flamed and bashed for it. We, as FF Fans, take our stand very stubbornly and once set, we refuse to budge for other people and their ideas.
Dark_Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Dark_Kain
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
Hmmm... I guess I'm a "hardliner/veteran." To summarize, I do think FF1-6 are generally superior to the new ones. I don't hate FFVII, I just don't think its that good. Whether I like FFVIII is based on my mood at the time. FFIX is special to me because it harkens back to the oldschool FFs, though FFIX was the last FF that I was to play/beat. FFX is absolute garbage. Awful RPG. Yep, guess you summed me up relatively well in that I do find the old ones superior, but I don't hate VII-IX. Only hate X, my hatred for that game can never be quenched.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
I guess you could call me a reformist then, however I do think FFVI is one of the best FF games to come out.  I'm not going to say FF 9 was rated fairly because I was disappointed with the game and I don't think its as good as FF6, FF7, or FF8. 
SladeMcGowan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SladeMcGowan
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

I can say that without a doubt in my mind, I'm old school.  I have always preferred the NES/SNES generation Final Fantasies, but I think that it all has to do with how early you got in on the series.  Most people that I know that started with the newer titles only like the newer titles.  On the flip side, however, some people's favorite title is the first title they ever played (for me it was VI).  I am I guess what you would call a veteran.  I tend to swing to the N-Generation of Final Fantasies as opposed to the S-Generation.  There is nothing wrong with either end of the spectrum, but there needs to be more unity and equality where the series is concerned.  Final Fantasy is undoubtedly the most popular RPG series out there and all games in the series need to be given the same spotlight.

Cheers!

Jessica

ffsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ffsage
Member since 2005 • 2028 Posts
I love all Final Fantasy. However, I do feel that FF VII and FF VIII, although I love both games, are overrated. I also feel that the earlier FFs are underated. I don't really have a favorite FF or favorites, because I enjoyed playing all of them and I though all of them were just great games.
GreatMno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GreatMno
Member since 2004 • 2601 Posts
I think that this would mostly be due to experience and age. Most of people who prefer the old-school feel are older and have seen the evolution of the series (I am one notable exception. I prefer the first 6 slightly more, but have never played them on the SNES). Since this group has seen the progression of the improvements, they are less opinionated (hopefully) and hold things to a higher standard. Please note that I am not against the games after FFVI. I am very pleased whenever I play them. Oh, and yes, FF fans will always be divided.
GMAN32X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GMAN32X
Member since 2004 • 1815 Posts
Even though I remember the old school FF's (1-6), I would probably consider myself a reformist. My taste just happens to favor the newer FF's over the older ones. That being said, I have a lot of respect for the older FF's as they were the pioneers that made a debate like this possible. It is unfortunate, however, that the FF community is so divided and partisan when it comes to the actual content and substance of the games. While I did not jump out my seat when I heard FF III was finally being re-made and ported to the DS, I respect the fact that it was (and still is) a great game that everyone should at least give half a chance. Blind loyalty to one group of FF's over another only hurts the user as your robbing yourself of a great gameplay experience.
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts

I think that you are right.

But there are still some of us, including me, that like the old FF's and the new FF's.

cloudrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cloudrules
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
I agree mostly, but i personally like all the Final Fantasy. I think that Final Fantasy IX was not as good as the other two on the playstation, even though it was a great game.
LightThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LightThief
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts
Ok I do think 9 was highly underated. And I also agree that 7 and 8 are overated. And yes the first 6 games are amazing. But I'm not gonna lie I really enjoyed 7 and 8, although there is a lot that could've been done better.
Such as in 7, every character is pretty much the same other then looks, story and limit. But the overall game was so great that i didn't care. In 8 I just found the magic system really stupid. Oh and the only thing I liked about 10 was the leveling system and tidus' sword. Everything else wasn't very appealing... I miss world maps. But I still find the games to be more satisfying then most of the other RPG's out there.

Thus I agree with your view that all the games are special and unique.
As for your initial question I do believe that we are divided and that you are not being naive. People who really enjoy final fantasy should understand where these newer styled games have originated from and take the time to see what they are missing.

Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

It saddens me to no end on how much FF fans underrate FFXI =

I've played it since the beginning of JP release (i've stopped playing for RL reasons for a year and a half, and becuase of wow =P, but then i stopped playing that becuase of RL stuff again). My experince with FFXI has been great and in my opinion call it a FF game. The Story, music, battles were very FFXI like (tho very different). Everyone likes to look at the negtives of that game and never see the great stuff in that game. Its just sad really =

worldwarz157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 worldwarz157
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts

Your right...but people don't say that entirely.

GoPhins123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GoPhins123
Member since 2005 • 3655 Posts

But there are still some of us, including me, that like the old FF's and the new FF's.

ff7cloudking
I'm with you on that.
mikoyasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mikoyasha
Member since 2004 • 1564 Posts
[QUOTE="ff7cloudking"]

But there are still some of us, including me, that like the old FF's and the new FF's.

GoPhins123
I'm with you on that.

same here. it shouldn't matter if the game is feudal or futuristic in nature, it should be respected no matter what.
demonik_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 demonik_one
Member since 2006 • 127 Posts

i love both... nes all the way to ps3 i'll follow them til the end.

besides--the new is and always will be influenced by the old''

*youkohiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 *youkohiei
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
I think I'd be between the 2 groups. Because the coolest parts in any ficticious story are when you see a contrast between past and future, like ancient temples in a machine city, all in the right propotions.
---
"Truly, if there's evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind"
                                                                              - Edward Morrison
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
     Honestly I fall in the veteran category. I really can't stand FFVII, FFVIII was alright, but when I think of Final Fantasy I think of a certain Dark Knight turned Paladin and sometimes I see a crazy Clown bent on pretty much killing everything. Honestly, I can't even play FFVII. The hype around this game sickens me. FFX was good, and I hope XII is good too.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#21 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about. I see if differently though. those young ones who had started to play FF7 when FF7 came out. and then the ones who played FF since the beging. now here are my two cents. kids these days grew up with great graphics and more than 2 buttons. If they picked up a Viacom controller or Atari system they would throw it out the window because it "sucked". the only thing they know about old school is mario. its not there fault....there kids. so anything pre FF7 is out the window because they are bias. Now the veterans. these guys played clasic games with great storylines and enjoyed hte game to its fullest. that is until FF for the PS came around and squaresoft wanted to open more eyes than the regular RPG players. changeing gameplay, and all the rest of things they hate, almost forgeting about the story. where do I stand. same place as you buddy. to me FF7 was the best because it was the first RPG game I ever played and it opened a door i was happy going threw. but i'm not young kid either. i was from the NES era and i decided to go back in time and found out about classics. and no i didn't finsh any of the games, but they got over 20 hours of gameplay at least. point being. I like FF period. the only game i didn't like was FF 11 because i hate mmorpg or whatever. I'm not gonna stop playing untill square-enix does.

Do you think we are? Allow me to present my postulation. it may or may not be accurate, Just a reflection of what I've seen on the 12 boards and the 7 tech demo board.

I feel the Final Fantasy Fans and rather analogous to communists. We have hardliners and reformists. Hardliners feel the any Final Fantasy, in general, after VI was crap except IX, and that IX is the most underrated FF, and is the best, while VII and VIII are overrated. This group likes the medieval feel to Final Fantasy, when the long ranged character was an Archer, and guns never existed. These hardliners feel that the true heyday of Final Fantasy was in IV, V and VI. Generally, these are veterans.

Then you have the reformists. This group can't stand the SNES era FFs, much less the NES era, as the graphics suck compared to VII and anything above it. They feel that IX was a flop, and that VII or VIII is the best FF, and deserves to be exhalted in all greatness. They like FFVII and VIII's feel of being high-tech and all mechanized, and are generally newcomers and graphics whore (though the latter may be an exaggeration.

What is your view? Do you agree with the notion? Or is it retardedly shallow and naive? Myself? I stand on the borderline. I feel that every FF was special and fun in it's own way, as all are different.

Yamibakeru-sama
Revan84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Revan84
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts

I would consider my-self to be more of a Reformer (New School). Tetesuya Nomura is my hero, and Final Fantasy VII and VIII are my favorite games of all time (ffviii being #1 and ffvii being #2). I never got into ffix ( I have been looking for it, so I can try it again. FFX is another good game. Didn't care for FFX-2, although I did like the story. I am also looking forward to FFXII this october.

Avatar image for Yamibakeru-sama
Yamibakeru-sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yamibakeru-sama
Member since 2005 • 802 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I was actually quite shocked that the thread went on to three pages... I was kinda expecting the whole thing to be buried among millions of new threads and vanish off into nothingness. Yups. I still have a freind who can't stand I-IV's graphics. I'm still tying to persuade him to try them out, but he'll only do so if they get a graphical makeover, which isn't happening anytime soon, so yeah, Quod Erat Demonstradum.
droge085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 droge085
Member since 2006 • 192 Posts
    Yeah we are divided. There are those who like old school, those who like new scool, those who like the entire series, and those who want to ass ram Cloud. personally, I would rather get together with Rinoa. I am The kind of person who likes the entire series for what the individual games are worth. I like the old school for the nice stereotypical (in a good way) RPG storylins and settings. The new school games are awsome because of the new developements like juctioning magic and the spheregrid. I wish that people wouldn't just play FFVII and say "To Hell with the rest of it!". I really wish we as FF fans wouldn't be so diverse, and yet there it is. Have fun ass ramming Cloud.
Syicrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 Syicrone
Member since 2005 • 86 Posts
Honestly I fall in the veteran category. I really can't stand FFVII, FFVIII was alright, but when I think of Final Fantasy I think of a certain Dark Knight turned Paladin and sometimes I see a crazy Clown bent on pretty much killing everything. Honestly, I can't even play FFVII. The hype around this game sickens me. FFX was good, and I hope XII is good too.
Headbanger88
I agree FFVII has too much hype. Too many people focus on one game, instead of us all fighting over which FF game is the greatest we should be working together fighting for the FF series against other games. FF in my opinion is the greatest series ever made!
holywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 holywin
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts
look,if you are really a final fantasy fan,you can`t say:"ff(1 to 6)sucks",i played ff1 for the NES(in my country,family game)and this game mad me.Man im not from old school(im 15)but if you have final fantasy spirit inside,you cant say ff1 sucks.an example:you cant say:metal gear solid sucks,i love metal gear:subsistance.Because you lose a very important part of the history.The magic has begun in ff1,the crystal´s histories begun in ff1.I SAY AGAIN:YOU AREN´T A FF FAN,IF YOU SAY FF1-6 SUCKS
Avatar image for Ted_Zanarukando
Ted_Zanarukando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ted_Zanarukando
Member since 2006 • 426 Posts
The mixed reactions concerning Final Fantasy X and X-2 emphasize the most that the Final Fantasy fanbase is divided. I feel that Final Fantasy X and X-2 are both underrated, especially X-2. Final Fantasy X is usually despised by what Yamibakeru-sama calls hardliners and dismissed as "flashy garbage", but it is well praised by what Yamibakeru-sama calls reformists. Hardliners often oppose the idea of enhanced remakes, while reformists often support the idea.

There are also liberal and conservative Final Fantasy fans. Final Fantasy X-2 is despised by conservative Final Fantasy fans, but praised by liberal ones.

There are also diehards, which are those who love all Final Fantasy, and do not care about negative criticism. I am a diehard myself. I love all Final Fantasy, and I love the series as a whole. Final Fantasy IIj is my least favorite Final Fantasy, but it is far from being my least favorite game. Like Yamibakeru-sama, I feel that every Final Fantasy game is special and fun in its own way, and are all different.

Hardliners prefer old school Final Fantasy (which includes Final Fantasy I-VI and IX). Final Fantasy IX is distinctly old school in gameplay style. Reformists prefer new school Final Fantasy (which includes Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X and later). Diehards love all Final Fantasy games.
raiden300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 raiden300
Member since 2005 • 1454 Posts

i am somewhere in the middle . 7 was my first final fantasy game so i can only really comment on games since then but i have nothing against the snes and nes versions. i have played VI on emulators since and enjoyed it and generally dont believe the nonsense that a 16-bit looking game is no fun. plus i dont see a thing wrong with FFIX

manhunt1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 manhunt1001
Member since 2004 • 2431 Posts
You are right it is shallow and naive this whole split in the FF community. The people who judge FF-FFVI are people who have never played them(or at least only for about an hour) and therefore dont know how to appreciate the games beyond there graphics.

I believe to be open to any of the original FF games(sequel's and spin-off's just havn't worked) and think of myself as critical towards each. FFV was my least favourite and FFVII was my favourite...does that mean i fall under the second category? No. I generally just love FFVII for numerous reasons and i felt like FFV lacked lots of what made other FF games so great.

This board has been effected by this divide as the larger percent of them fall under the second category. They just go around saying "Sephiroth is god LOLZOR" and that "FFVII is the best because Cloud is so kool and like yeah Sephiroths sword is so long and pointy omg and yeah aeries died i like cryed".

There is nothing that can be done...too many people are just ignorant.
TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheStatusQuo
Member since 2004 • 4994 Posts

I do believe that I'm separable from certain final fantasy titles.

As much as i love Final Fantasy, I choose not to exaggerate by dressing up in Cosplay, or place FF7 wall papers of Tifa Lockhart.  Instead, I like looking at hot chicks dress up the Final Fantasy characters.  Still, I can't deny that at one point I was crazily in love with certain Final Fantasy games. Over time I love interest especial for the music of FF. That will always be fresh.

Warslasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Warslasher
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

Yamibakeru-sama
i agree and i think square enix should have 2 dev teams 1 to make old school style rpgs and 1 for new school style to appeal to both audiences because i personally would buy both. i love the new school graphics but my main following of ff is because of the storyline they could make 1 of each type old and new school and i would buy both.
Avatar image for sephirothrulez9
sephirothrulez9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 sephirothrulez9
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
    i always felt that way, but i never really brought it to attention...i love FFVII everything about it was the best...i luv IX i think thats the second best FF ever.  cant wait for FFXII.  I'd love to try the NES versions just dont got that platform. i think FFVIII was the crappiest FF ever , along with FFX-2 because there was a mission- based feeling while i played....so what you catagorize me ?? =) :twisted:
Avatar image for sephirothrulez9
sephirothrulez9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 sephirothrulez9
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
They just go around saying "Sephiroth is god LOLZOR" and that "FFVII is the best because Cloud is so kool and like yeah Sephiroths sword is so long and pointy omg and yeah aeries died i like cryed".

There is nothing that can be done...too many people are just ignorant.
manhunt1001
i really thing that sephiroth is GOD but i really apperieciated the game in its entirety, the storyline, the enviorment, the characters, it was all top notch...thats why it was "...quite possibly the greatest game ever made." -GameFan magazine (back of the FVII cover)
gamemaker08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamemaker08
Member since 2003 • 109 Posts

Here's what I have to say. I was born around the NES era, so therefore I never got a chance to play an FF until FF7, While I do like FF7, I agree that it is EXTREMELY overrated. My personal favorite is FF9, and I enjoy the FF's 1-6 very much, now that i've gotten to play them. FF10 was cool, but a bit annoying and a little bit too easy. I think i'm really gonna like FF12, but who knows. I really enjoyed FF4 the most besides FF9. The storyline for these two games are great and they are just a lot of fun to play. ( I also agree that FF9 is very underrated,)

Prophet01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Prophet01
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT EVERY GAME THAT HAS ADORNED THE NAME FINAL FANTASY AND HAS A NUMBER ATTACHED TO IT 1-12 AND FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, HAVE ALL BEEN WONDERFUL IN THEIR OWN SPECIAL WAYS. EVERY FINAL FANTASY DESERVES CREDIT BUT I MUST SAY AFTER ALOT OF THINKING MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IN ANY FINAL FANTASY GAME EVER WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE SEPHIROTH. BUT TWO OF MY FAVORITE FINAL FANTASIES ARE 5 AND 6. TACTICS I COMPLETELY LOVED ALSO, BUT EIGHT IS MY FAVORITE BECAUSE OF THE STORYLINE. THE WHOLE MERCENARY ASPECT JUST DOES WONDERS. OVER ALL I APPRECIATE EACH AND EVERY FINAL FANTASY CREATION!!!:wink:
Ssouljah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ssouljah
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts
If we're divided then once again I choose independent... I have been playing FF since its begining and I played the legends loved it all... But, to say FFVII and VIII are overated is a completely insane statement. It reintrodused the world to FF if it wasn't for FFVII this union wouldn't be half as populatied and Square-Enix would have never existed... Squaresoft would be going under having only there poorly made anime titles and Maybe all of the "new" FF fans would be praising Xenogears instead of FFVII. Now I can't say I agree with the "reformed" ppl becouse of the fact that FFIX was a great game and I loved the fact that they went back to an older stye of play. But, to say that everything FF has done in the past 10 years is crap except IX that makes no sense... The way I see it is FF is FF the most popular RPG titles of all time. Now I think both sides need to kiss and make up... Think about it we could all be gay ass trekies or star wars geeks fighting over which is cooler, well atleast that what you sound like... Now lets all get along "reformed" sde go back put in a Zeppelin album or a public enemy casette Play FFV and find out wha your missing... And you old school freaks turn on the radio turn to either your local "HOT" station or listen to some girlie emo rock and play FFXII tomorrow and see how the new guys get down... As for me I'm gonna go make money in the real world...
Mr_Saturn26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mr_Saturn26
Member since 2006 • 1135 Posts

Most of the FF games are good, but i have to say, FF7 was one of the best and influencial. Many people say FF7 is overrated but truly id think so, its really good. ive played seveal FFs, and there are some really good ones, but the worst one ive played so far was FF8, dont get me wrong, the story, graphics, and music was great, but i hated how the gameplay went with the sommons, skills, magic and the other crap. I hope FF12, and 13 will be better than previous FFs, expecially FF8. The original FF was Really good, FF2, was great, but i havent got to play FF3, 4,5, and 6 yet, i will soon, but they are pretty good.

were-woman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 were-woman
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts
I don't know about this 'division' stuff and I love all FF games no matter how old they are or what they look like. (except ffxi...i can't play it - i'm not allowed the internet...*mumble*)