Do you think Chrono Trigger DS is a Ripoff?

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I've really been battling with whether or not I should throw some cash to buy it. I've always wanted to play Chrono Trigger, but I find it unacceptable that SE is charging full price for what is essentially a straight port with an extra dungeon.

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts
play it-its one of SE's best games and im super happy the graphics are unchanged-and I believe it has the anime scenes from the PS1 version. just-play it.
MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MonkeyStew
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
Hmmm, well I gotta say if it has the same cut-scenes as the PS1 version, I say go ahead and buy FF Chronicles, since it comes with FFIV. The only thing that might change (other than the extra dungeon) is the loading times- but they don't bother me on the PS1, so I guess it's all preference. And then again, I prefer a game like Chrono Trigger on a console anyways, as opposed to a handheld.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
Hell to the no. There are still a lot of people out there who haven't played Chrono Trigger. The SNES version can get quite pricy, and the PS1 port was horrific. Plus having one of my favorite games on the go is way too awesome to pass up.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

I have never played Chrono Trigger so Im very excited that they are releasing it on the DS. Should it be $40...ehh I dont know. They arent doing much to the look and such, which is good because I dont think the same 3D graphics as the Final Fantasy games would work as well as the original. They are adding touch screen use and brand new translation...

Square Enix knows they got me hooked on their games so whats $5 more if I know Im getting a quality game?

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts
For all JRPG fans, if you haven't played Chrono Trigger till now quit complaining and get your wallet ready for CT DS no matter how costly it is. It is the single JRPG experience that you will never forget. Period.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pikastar

For all JRPG fans, if you haven't played Chrono Trigger till now quit complaining and get your wallet ready for CT DS no matter how costly it is. It is the single JRPG experience that you will never forget. Period.lightwarrior179

I aient complaining :P I expect SE games to be $40 so it wasnt any shock to me. Still going to get it :D

Schulzygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Schulzygrl
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
While I love Chrono Trigger, I don't think that I can drop $40 for an extra dungeon. If you want to play the original it is possible to find an SNES emulator and a Chrono Trigger ROM, I mean that is what I have and I'm more than happy with it.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Well it not that big of a deal to me, since I haven't play it before(through I probably not going to get it), but the Fryz near me has a few copies of the PS1 port(with FFIV), so if I want to get it, I go with that one.

However Square Enix should put this on VC.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
I don't know if it is a rip-off for DS owners or not, but one thing I am sure about it... It is the best RPG to ever grace the DS... Definitely one of the best in history.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrAwesomeMD

I don't know if it is a rip-off for DS owners or not, but one thing I am sure about it... It is the best RPG to ever grace the DS... Definitely one of the best in history.Fantasy_Gamer

I completely agree.

ramonl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ramonl2
Member since 2007 • 476 Posts

well it would be great to have it on the go And my 1st time to own it since I alway borrow the PS1 port from my friend so anyways

it would be a good thing to have 1 of the greatest Games in history on a portable so you can play it anywhere and another thing

you get to play the original game with 2d not some remake that'll leave you confused

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lionheart08
I decided I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I know there's the FF4/Chrono Trigger PS1 port on Amazon, but I rather own them both for the DS (especially since FF4 is fully remade.)
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts

it's great - final answer - lol.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fantasy_Gamer
Yup, yup, yup! CT... my 2nd fave RPG of all time (together with FFT. FF7 is my first. Don't ask me why there aare 2 in my 2nd place. :P)
Slightly_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Slightly_Emo
Member since 2007 • 797 Posts
It's a great game for anyone who hasn't played it but I already have so I probably won't be getting it.
Unabomber256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Unabomber256
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

I don't think it's a ripoff. They (SE) can port what ever they want and if it people want it then they will buy it. The price isn't a issue since as with any game you can wait a few months and buy a used copy for a big discount.

Here is what I think is a ripoff, why when SE is porting all these great old games aren't other companies doing the same thing with games that are inaccessible to the US gamer? Why not port some of the hundreds of great Japanese games from the last fifteen to twenty years? My prime example here is Mother 3 (Earthbound). Yes I know it's not an SE game but I'm gonna talk about it anyway. I was very excited when I learned they were making this game two years ago. I went out and bought a GBA just to play it! I was so mad when they didn't port it to the US. It makes no sense! If SE can make money porting old games to the PS1 AND to two generations of Nintendo handhelds why can't a company like Nintendo do the same with Mother 3!? And even SE has a catalogue of games that would be great for DS. How about perennial emulator classics Bahamut Lagoon or Seiken Densetsu 3? What SE fan wouldn't jump at the chance to play Secret of Mana 2 with bonus content. These are games we should have been playing 10 years ago anyway!

OK, end of rant.

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cronaroth

I don't think it's a ripoff. They (SE) can port what ever they want and if it people want it then they will buy it. The price isn't a issue since as with any game you can wait a few months and buy a used copy for a big discount.

Here is what I think is a ripoff, why when SE is porting all these great old games aren't other companies doing the same thing with games that are inaccessible to the US gamer? Why not port some of the hundreds of great Japanese games from the last fifteen to twenty years? My prime example here is Mother 3 (Earthbound). Yes I know it's not an SE game but I'm gonna talk about it anyway. I was very excited when I learned they were making this game two years ago. I went out and bought a GBA just to play it! I was so mad when they didn't port it to the US. It makes no sense! If SE can make money porting old games to the PS1 AND to two generations of Nintendo handhelds why can't a company like Nintendo do the same with Mother 3!? And even SE has a catalogue of games that would be great for DS. How about perennial emulator classics Bahamut Lagoon or Seiken Densetsu 3? What SE fan wouldn't jump at the chance to play Secret of Mana 2 with bonus content. These are games we should have been playing 10 years ago anyway!

OK, end of rant.

Unabomber256

I fully agree 100%...and Mother 3 desperately NEEDS a US release.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#19 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Yes. I think it's just a sign of SE getting incredibly lazy. Playing older classics is all the rage now. But they are usually put on downlaod services for about $10. There's no reason to be charging $40 for a port of a super nintendo title
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cronaroth

Yes. I think it's just a sign of SE getting incredibly lazy. Playing older classics is all the rage now. But they are usually put on downlaod services for about $10. There's no reason to be charging $40 for a port of a super nintendo titleBuryMe

It's still cheaper than tracking down the SNES version. and the PSone version is trash IMO.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fantasy_Gamer
But i read someone said they replaced "drinknig sake" into "drinking soup" in the new translation. SE loves to mess up with the translation we all loved, justl ike what they did with War of the Lions.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#22 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]Yes. I think it's just a sign of SE getting incredibly lazy. Playing older classics is all the rage now. But they are usually put on downlaod services for about $10. There's no reason to be charging $40 for a port of a super nintendo titleCronaroth

It's still cheaper than tracking down the SNES version. and the PSone version is trash IMO.

True. But they should have follewed every one else's lead and made it a downloadable game for $10
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cronaroth
Oh well-I think they shouldve done both.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrAwesomeMD

But i read someone said they replaced "drinknig sake" into "drinking soup" in the new translation. SE loves to mess up with the translation we all loved, justl ike what they did with War of the Lions.Fantasy_Gamer

I actually liked WotL's translation better than the original. :|

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fantasy_Gamer
^ Well, I did not. You know that feeling... "Hey! I'm a master of this game, but now I feel I'm totally noob just because of the new translation!" I've played the original FFT like 8 times and I somehow (used to) master it, at least the names of persons, palces, skills, spells, etc. Now, a friend who played WotL used to text me whenever he get stucked in a hard battle and whenever I give him tips, we cannot understand each other 'coz the skills he says to me are not at all familiar to me. Likes Ramza's "guts" skills, they renamed it with a totally differnet name.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrAwesomeMD

^ Well, I did not. You know that feeling... "Hey! I'm a master of this game, but now I feel I'm totally noob just because of the new translation!" I've played the original FFT like 8 times and I somehow (used to) master it, at least the names of persons, palces, skills, spells, etc. Now, a friend who played WotL used to text me whenever he get stucked in a hard battle and whenever I give him tips, we cannot understand each other 'coz the skills he says to me are not at all familiar to me. Likes Ramza's "guts" skills, they renamed it with a totally differnet name.Fantasy_Gamer

Yeah, that was kind of annoying. I was mostly refering to the dialogue though.

Avatar image for Fenian_lostsoul
Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fenian_lostsoul
Member since 2005 • 5500 Posts
I have around 5 hours into the game and it's awesome, this is my first time playing so for me at least it's not a rip-off, as IGN said this is the ultimate version of the game, let me know when some of you get the game so we can try the arena.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pikastar

I have around 5 hours into the game and it's awesome, this is my first time playing so for me at least it's not a rip-off, as IGN said this is the ultimate version of the game, let me know when some of you get the game so we can try the arena.Fenian_lostsoul

ugh you are making me want to go pick it up so bad...must resist...:lol:

Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fenian_lostsoul

[QUOTE="Fenian_lostsoul"]I have around 5 hours into the game and it's awesome, this is my first time playing so for me at least it's not a rip-off, as IGN said this is the ultimate version of the game, let me know when some of you get the game so we can try the arena.pikastar

:twisted:  the amazing soundtrack and other extra stuff is available at menu screen, seriously though I am glad I picked this game otherwise I would have miss one of the bext RPGs ever made, and one of the finest SE titles, after I finish I think I'll try to get my hands on a copy of Chrono Cross, I read SE added an extra ending to link better with that game.

pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pikastar
[QUOTE="pikastar"]

[QUOTE="Fenian_lostsoul"]I have around 5 hours into the game and it's awesome, this is my first time playing so for me at least it's not a rip-off, as IGN said this is the ultimate version of the game, let me know when some of you get the game so we can try the arena.Fenian_lostsoul

:twisted:  the amazing soundtrack and other extra stuff is available at menu screen, seriously though I am glad I picked this game otherwise I would have miss one of the bext RPGs ever made, and one of the finest SE titles, after I finish I think I'll try to get my hands on a copy of Chrono Cross, I read SE added an extra ending to link better with that game.

Ive never played Chrono Trigger either :D Its just I dont really have the money at the moment...not to mention I have way too many games in my 'to play' pile.... *feels the tug of Gamestop and a whispered 'You know you want to come spend money' in my ear* :?

So do the characters and story have a lot of depth?

Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fenian_lostsoul
[QUOTE="Fenian_lostsoul"][QUOTE="pikastar"]

[QUOTE="Fenian_lostsoul"]I have around 5 hours into the game and it's awesome, this is my first time playing so for me at least it's not a rip-off, as IGN said this is the ultimate version of the game, let me know when some of you get the game so we can try the arena.pikastar

Ive never played Chrono Trigger either :D Its just I dont really have the money at the moment...not to mention I have way too many games in my 'to play' pile.... *feels the tug of Gamestop and a whispered 'You know you want to come spend money' in my ear* :?

So do the characters and story have a lot of depth?

Yeah, the characters are quite charming even the expresions their sprites make are funny to look at, and the story is awesome, at first due to the design what I saw of other works by the development team, like Blue Dragon, I thought the story would be childish but it can get quite deep and the combat is great, specially regarding the boss fights.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrAwesomeMD
Ugh, I have to wait until Christmas. :cry:
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lionheart08
Well, I picked it up on launch date. Got to say, I can see why everyone loves it so much. :D
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pikastar
I caved and picked this up today. Time to see what all the fuss is about :P
Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fenian_lostsoul

I caved and picked this up today. Time to see what all the fuss is about :Ppikastar

I think you won't be disappointed. 

Syicrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 Syicrone
Member since 2005 • 86 Posts
Definitely not. Chrono Trigger is one of the GREATEST games ever created. And it's been several years since the release of it in Final Fantasy Chronicles. I think it gives everyone who hasn't the opportunity to play it. I always wanted a remake for the PS3 though. Could you just image how amazing that would be!?!? Final Fantasy VI too :)
youngsexynerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 youngsexynerd
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts
awsome game, i bought it the day it came out, but honestly yeah i think it shoulda came out 10 dollars cheaper, $30 yea that sounds about right, but so what awsome game,period
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
sadly, my DS has been neglected a LOT lately... i have a strange sneaking suspicion that i will need it soon though; planning a road trip for next year ^__^ soooooo..... i WILL be getting this game i'm sure - nostalgia FTW! :)
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrAwesomeMD

I caved and picked this up today. Time to see what all the fuss is about :Ppikastar

I hope you enjoy it. :)