will alex smith replace ryan leaf as the biggest bust ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gtap00ner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gtap00ner
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts

hmm close but not sure as leaf. similar numbers but smith 6 more tds...

honestly 49ers wanted leinart that yr but he broke their hearts, should had traded pick..hopefully in 2 yrs we can draft mark sanchez but depends how he turns out in usc. sanchez could b the next carson or leinart in usc...

also, fact vince young has similar qb numbers as smith! and no one saying he'll b a bust, but heading towards it

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

1) Smith is not a bust yet. He's had 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years and his 2nd year was okay. He's only 24, so he's not a bust yet.

2) Noone can replace Leaf. Smith if he becomes a bust, is just your run of the mill bust, like Leftwich or Akili Smith. Leaf was a locker room poison who went beyond a bust. He alienated his teammates so much and the Chargers gave so much for him that picking him set the Chargers back 5 years. Beyond that, if the 49ers didn't pick Smith, there is no franchise QBs in the first round that year so far. Chargers on the other hand was dealt Leaf b/c he blew off a meeting with the Colts who were interested in him. After Leaf blew him off, the Colts picked Peyton and the rest is bust history.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Nah, Ryan Leaf is probably the biggest bust in NFL history. Its so weird to think people actually debated him and Peyton once...
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheSystemLord1

I just read his wiki, man, this guy was an idiot. He refused wrist surgery that could have saved his career, I mean I don't know all the details but whenever a doctor tells me I need surgery I get it. No questions asked.

He's the quarterbacks coach at west texas A&M though, so good for him.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Smith has already surpassed Leaf's career achievements. Leaf - 14 TD, 3600 yards, and 50 QB Rating. Smith - 19, 4600, and 63.5. Smith comes from a draft class that so far has proven thin at QB with Derek Anderson being the only Pro Bowler. Leaf came from the same class as 3 Pro Bowl quarterbacks - Peyton Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, and Brian Griese.

There's no possible chance of Smith becoming a bigger bust than Leaf.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheSystemLord1

To be honest, Smith needs to request a trade. David Carr waited far too long and look how he's ended up. Same with Joey Harrington.

However, Smith came from a smaller college, as did Carr. There is definitely a pattern. They can't all be gems. Gotta wonder how much of a quarterback's success at the collegiate level is due to competition. I mean it shouldn't matter, but theres a reason Quarterback is harder to make a successful NFL career in from a small school.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

lol man do all of your threads have to be revolved around calling Alex Smith a bust? :lol:

Anyway, I know he's been dissapointing but he's at least not the headcase that Ryan Leaf was. Hell, if Martz can work his magic maybe Alex will finally start to become a decent qb afterall.

gtap00ner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gtap00ner

lol man do all of your threads have to be revolved around calling Alex Smith a bust? :lol:

Anyway, I know he's been dissapointing but he's at least not the headcase that Ryan Leaf was. Hell, if Martz can work his magic maybe Alex will finally start to become a decent qb afterall.

Renegade_Fury
im a 49ers fan. smith knew the pressure would b high because he has to follow foot steps of montana and young, its a shame he had that much pressure...as a #1 pick u have to have special talent and specially qb, you just have to be real good to be #1 pick...we dont like to lose and specially poor qb after having golden days with montana, young, and some with garcia.i mean niners needs to have a better OL and weapons for him and maybe all of his critics can shut up. they should draft a great wr this yr or OL. but we should not trade up unless theirs no good wr at the 29 spot. james hardy? i never heard of him...either draft jackson or manningham. if not trade up or draft again a ol. but if they do we dont want another team having our top 10 pick for next yrs draft. trade this yrs 1st rd and 3rd, and next yrs 2nd to buffalo for their 1st pick...49ers should had fired nolan and gotten a offensice coach likemartz. and i wont b suprise if he leaves next yr like all other o.c.but only time will tell...
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSystemLord1

james hardy? i never heard of him...gtap00ner

I played against James Hardy last year. He's like 6'5, runs easily sub 4.4-4.5 and catches anything in reach. He has the seperation burst needed in the NFL as well.

Jerry Rice came from Southern Mississippi Valley State if I remember correctly, don't underestimate the little guy.

EDIT: He's 6'7 and has that speed on the field, not running on some track like Vernon Davis did.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Martz is their new coach? Well there goes being a Niners fan this season :lol: Dammit they said LA would have a team by 09! I don't know about you guys, but i would at least get a second opinion before i had surgery :P
atlflcns7_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 atlflcns7_2004
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts
Give Smith another year or two and you won't be comparing him to Ryan Leaf.
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#12 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Leaf is/was in a league of his own, not only did he play like junk, he was a jerk.
fws831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fws831
Member since 2003 • 848 Posts
i think in about 2 years the 49ers will give up on smith and he will go somewhere else and wind up being a good solid qb for the rest of his career
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts

Smith isn't even that bad. He was solid two seasons ago.

Joey Harrington is a bigger bust than Alex Smith.

gatorforlife07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 gatorforlife07
Member since 2007 • 1098 Posts
Give Smith some time
wornstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wornstar
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

There's no comparison to Leaf. Alex Smith has had a good work ethic and attitude until rumor/speculation about the prognosis of his shoulder injury was made public by coach Nolan. If my memory serves correct Leaf was a pain even before he was drafted. Are there high expectations of a #1 overall pick, yes, but unfair to blame Smith for. It was Nolan who picked him. Besides there were no other QB's that Nolan was willing or had enough confidence in to be the face/puppet of the organization. And no one thought Derek Andersen or Jason Campbell would be competent enough to take the field in their first year otherwise they would have. Personally, I would've picked Aaron Rodgers, (purely for ticket sales). I hated seeing so many fans of visiting teams at the 'stick making all kinds of noise they have the past few years. Still, inconsistency in offensive schemes and personnel year to year can't be easy and Smith has never publicy made a fuss over it. He's worked through it. I still believe he wouldv'e been better off EARNING the starting role rather than being thrown into the fire. (But there's no way that the York's pay a guy that much to watch him sit.) I'm a firm believer that competition makes you better and now that Shaun Hill was resigned and is being given a chance to win the position, let's give him a couple of years before we bestow that dubious title on him. Although it is in the back of my mind, I'll give him the opportunity to prove it wrong.

guitarman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guitarman89
Member since 2007 • 1485 Posts

No way, Leaf is and probably always will be in a class of his own. First of all, Smith has already surpassed Leaf's career numbers, and he is still only 24. And He has the chance to become much better in the next couple of seasons. Remember when everyone was ready to throw Drew Brees into the dumpster because he wasn't successful in his first few years in the league?

Second of all, Smith is not and won't be the clubhouse cancer and nutcase that Leaf was from the very start.

Smith may very well be a bust, but I don't believe he can be accurately compared to Ryan Leaf.

cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts

1) Smith is not a bust yet. He's had 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years and his 2nd year was okay. He's only 24, so he's not a bust yet.

2) Noone can replace Leaf. Smith if he becomes a bust, is just your run of the mill bust, like Leftwich or Akili Smith. Leaf was a locker room poison who went beyond a bust. He alienated his teammates so much and the Chargers gave so much for him that picking him set the Chargers back 5 years. Beyond that, if the 49ers didn't pick Smith, there is no franchise QBs in the first round that year so far. Chargers on the other hand was dealt Leaf b/c he blew off a meeting with the Colts who were interested in him. After Leaf blew him off, the Colts picked Peyton and the rest is bust history.

manningbowl135

MB is QFT as usual :)

cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts

manningbowl135

MB is QFT as usual :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Leaf wasn't the biggest bust of all, not by a long shot.
guitarman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 guitarman89
Member since 2007 • 1485 Posts

Leaf wasn't the biggest bust of all, not by a long shot.Jaysonguy

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are, then who was the biggest bust ever?

gtap00ner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gtap00ner

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Leaf wasn't the biggest bust of all, not by a long shot.guitarman89

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are, then who was the biggest bust ever?

leaf..but dont forget about the penn state rb's...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Leaf wasn't the biggest bust of all, not by a long shot.guitarman89

Just in the NFL?

Well at the QB position Dave Klingler (pick 6) makes a solid argument. He was supposed to be the fireplug that the Bengals needed that Boomer couldn't give them anymore. They let Boomer go and they drafted Klinger out of Houston where he just finished throwing 54 TD's. Instead he was a major bust and only threw 16 touchdowns in his carrer, Boomer had that many in his first SEASON with his new team.

The winner at the QB position has to be Andre Ware (pick 7) though. At Houston (wow trend anyone?) he tossed 44 TD's and 4700 yards winning the Heisman. He was seen as the perfect fit to team with their new running back (one Mr Sanders) and start a solid core for winning. Instead Ware only managed 4TD passes in his career and was dumped. From there he was picked up by the Raiders for insurance but after a few weeks into the season he was cut.

He tried to go into the CFL and make a name for himself to get back to the NFL but even then he couldn't crack the starting spot and spent time as a backup.

His last chance came from NFL Europe until he decided to retire

Lymetime69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lymetime69
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
theres a movie about him somewhere.........
Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts
No, Ryan Leaf as an overhyped headcase. Id take Smith over leaf anyday of the week)
Avatar image for gamecubedave000
gamecubedave000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#26 gamecubedave000
Member since 2005 • 5967 Posts
Shaun King will be the starter this upcomming season. I respect Smith though.
wornstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wornstar

Shaun King will be the starter this upcomming season. I respect Smith though. gamecubedave000

I think you mean Shaun Hill. I believe they did have King on the roster last for a second but cut him. But I'd have to check that to make sure.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oleg_Huzwog

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are, then who was the biggest bust ever?guitarman89

The Boz

wornstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wornstar

[QUOTE="guitarman89"]I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are, then who was the biggest bust ever?Oleg_Huzwog

The Boz

But he wasn't even drafted. Sure he brought high expectations with his flashy high profile but can you really call a player a "bust" if his career is ended/shortenend by injuries?

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#30 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

[QUOTE="gamecubedave000"]Shaun King will be the starter this upcomming season. I respect Smith though. wornstar

I think you mean Shaun Hill. I believe they did have King on the roster last for a second but cut him. But I'd have to check that to make sure.

Shaun King was the QB for the Bucs years ago, currently works for ESPN I believe.

raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raghavan
Member since 2003 • 3416 Posts

Alex Smith is a dissapointment, but don't forget that for every year he has been with the 49ers, he has had..

- 3 different offensive coordinators

- 3 different starting left tackles

- 3 different #1 Wide Receivers

Not to mention a line that is average at pass protection. How do you expect a young project QB to be good when surrounded by all kinds of inconsistency?

Regardless, this year is his last chance. I hope he makes the best of it.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Oleg_Huzwog

But he wasn't even drafted. Sure he brought high expectations with his flashy high profile but can you really call a player a "bust" if his career is ended/shortenend by injuries?wornstar

The guy was given the largest contract in Seahawks history. Yeah, we can call him a bust.