Why do people say John Wall is overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

When he plays for one of the worst teams in the NBA, yet he puts up 15 points and 9 assists a night. And had a triple double already. :/

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

When he plays for one of the worst teams in the NBA, yet he puts up 15 points and 9 assists a night. And had a triple double already. :/

Snakemaster9

Because of 3 reasons, none of which I believe are valid.

1. He won't be Rookie of the year (That's only be because Blake Griffin is having the best Rookie season I have personally ever seen)

2. He came into the NBA with unreal, franchise changing talent yet the Wizards still suck (He has the talent and franchise changing ability, but he's a point guard which by default means he won't be able to single-handedly change a franchise without surrounding pieces)

3. They don't watch him play.

Those are the only 3 reasons they I could come up with. Correct me if I forgot something.

Historically, his Rookie year stats are similar to CP3's, D-Rose, etc. and better then D-William's. He really has to learn how to limit his TOs. Magic averaged 4 TOs a game his rookie year, and CP3 averaged a high amount as well, both learned to limit their TOs. Currently, John Wall's Assist/TO ration is about 2:1, that's fine for a rookie PG, but you can not be thought of as Elite with that. Elite Point Guards manage a 3:1 or in CP3's case 4:1 Assist:TO ratio.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

I'm also pissed at the lack of recognition Wall gets for his rookie season. I've done a little research and he's only the second rookie to average 15, 8 and 1.5 steals in his first season (Phil Ford was the only other one). He doesn't have great shooting percentages and he turns the ball a few times, so that works against him, but his team is so crappy I can't put all the blame on him.

I don't think he's overrated, if anything he's getting underrated because of Blake Griffin, and he plays a much, much tougher position (PG) than Blake (PF).

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Foreal.

I mean, 1 game he got that triple double, with 6 steals and only 1 TO.

Hes the only rookie besides Magic Johnson to do that in the first 6 games. He got a triple double , 6 games into his NBA career.....

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
he's been a nice piece for my fantasy basketball team and he's having a solid rookie season he needs to work on a couple things though 1. Needs to improve his jumper. His FG % is really low when he shoots mid range shots but I'm sure it'll get better over time 2. Control the ball better. He's been a turnover machine, Again that can also get better over time he definitely has a bright future, anyone who says he's a bust probably doesn't follow basketball
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 No_Hablo_Ingles
I think the Wizards are going to be a playoff team in the East next year if they get a top 3 pick in the draft this year. The Kid out of Ohio State or the guy from Baylor would make great additions IMO.
Avatar image for IntenseGamingAZ
IntenseGamingAZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IntenseGamingAZ
Member since 2006 • 469 Posts

He's a horrendous defender and one dimensional offensively.

Also, his team is insignificant.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's because out of the 3 major sports in the US basketball is a game that can be won with only one good player. In the NFL and MLB you can't do that, there's too many positions that need to be at least adequate. In the NBA take a bunch of scrubs and add a premier player and you have a playoff team (especially in the East)

The point guard is the most important position in the sport right now and Wall was amazing in college and it sets up high expectations.

It's fair to call him overrated because he is, he hasn't made that team his and that's what any top tier rookie should do.

On the other hand it's not like he's terribly overrated, he should be doing better. He shouldn't be turning the ball over so much and he should be able to close out games better then he's been doing by being the focal point of offense and defense in the 4th quarter.

I expect him to be better because he's shown that he can do all that he needs to at various points of the season, the reason he's overrated is because he hasn't been able to put it all together for long stretches of the season

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 No_Hablo_Ingles

It's fair to call him overrated because he is, he hasn't made that team his and that's what any top tier rookie should do.

On the other hand it's not like he's terribly overrated, he should be doing better. He shouldn't be turning the ball over so much and he should be able to close out games better then he's been doing by being the focal point of offense and defense in the 4th quarter.Jaysonguy

You have good points but... his stats are similar if not better then D-Rose and Chris Paul their Rookie year. Asking for a Rookie point guard to more is... not really fair IMO.

Point Guards aren't like Shooting Guards or Forwards, they can't really single-handedly win a game night in and night out without surrounding pieces that support them. Most Rookie point guards have Turn over problems, as I stated earlier Magic averaged 4 per game, and CP3 (who now averages like 1) averaged about the same. Point Guards rarely come in an dominate like a Forward does (think LeBron and Griffin) because their main job is to run the entire offense, something that is difficult for most rookies. His defense isn't very good though :/

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]It's fair to call him overrated because he is, he hasn't made that team his and that's what any top tier rookie should do.

On the other hand it's not like he's terribly overrated, he should be doing better. He shouldn't be turning the ball over so much and he should be able to close out games better then he's been doing by being the focal point of offense and defense in the 4th quarter.No_Hablo_Ingles

You have good points but... his stats are similar if not better then D-Rose and Chris Paul their Rookie year. Asking for a Rookie point guard to more is... not really fair IMO.

Point Guards aren't like Shooting Guards or Forwards, they can't really single-handedly win a game night in and night out without surrounding pieces that support them. Most Rookie point guards have Turn over problems, as I stated earlier Magic averaged 4 per game, and CP3 (who now averages like 1) averaged about the same. Point Guards rarely come in an dominate like a Forward does (think LeBron and Griffin) because their main job is to run the entire offense, something that is difficult for most rookies. His defense isn't very good though :/

I know what you mean, Wall can make the passes and then literally the ball is out of his hands and whatever happens happens.

I think where I see Wall not "living up" in some areas is because we've seen flashes at various points of the season yet it's never been consistent. He CAN defend but for whatever reason it's not able to click for an entire game or even a half, that's the sort of thing that brings in criticism.

With the turnovers I could forgive that if the defense was better. If you give the other team another possession but you also take a possession away with your D you're fine in my book as a young player and if you're not going all out on D then you can gather yourself and make smarter plays on offense.

I really think that he's on schedule to be a very good player, it's just that he has turnovers PLUS no D that draws the most criticism, if he had just one of those I think no one would give him any flak

CJ45_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CJ45_
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
John Wall is a punk.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Firstly, this thread is sounding more like "why is John Wall underrated" more than why he's overrated. He's overrated because you have people already putting the guy on a pedestal and mentioning him with the best in the league. Yes, he's off to a good start but no one was saying D-Will or CP3 or even Derrick Rose for that matter, were the best players at their position during their rookie season. I do think he's overrated. That doesn't mean I think he sucks or doesn't have the potential but seriously, he hasn't proven anything yet. And it's not his fault, he's a rookie for god's sake. But I'm just sick of hearing folks talk the guy up. The Wizards suck, they're actually on pace to be WORSE than they were last year. His shooting has been spotty and he's been turning the ball over way too frequently. He'll be great one day, he needs time to develop. He's not among the elite right NOW though and that's where the overrated stuff starts being thrown around.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 No_Hablo_Ingles
If people think he's a top 10 PG at this point in his career then he is over rated.... I just don't see that many people who rated him that high.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts
He looked very good against the Nets on Sunday and came up huge down the stretch to single handedly win the game. I think he has a punk attitude... but you can tell he's going to be top tier/all star caliber player.
louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

[QUOTE="Snakemaster9"]

No_Hablo_Ingles

1. He won't be Rookie of the year (That's only be because Blake Griffin is having the best Rookie season I have personally ever seen)

2. He came into the NBA with unreal, franchise changing talent yet the Wizards still suck (He has the talent and franchise changing ability, but he's a point guard which by default means he won't be able to single-handedly change a franchise without surrounding pieces)

Those are the only 3 reasons they I could come up with. Correct me if I forgot something.

Historically, his Rookie year stats are similar to CP3's, D-Rose, etc. and better then D-William's. He really has to learn how to limit his TOs. Magic averaged 4 TOs a game his rookie year, and CP3 averaged a high amount as well, both learned to limit their TOs. Currently, John Wall's Assist/TO ration is about 2:1, that's fine for a rookie PG, but you can not be thought of as Elite with that. Elite Point Guards manage a 3:1 or in CP3's case 4:1 Assist:TO ratio.

Blake griffin didnt have the best rookie season every Allen iverson had the best rookie season he **** on mj on his rookie season

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 No_Hablo_Ingles

Blake griffin didnt have the best rookie season every Allen iverson had the best rookie season he **** on mj on his rookie season

louisfoxton

Look at how I phrased it. I said "Blake Griffin is having the best Rookie season I have personally ever seen."

Seeing as Iverson was drafted when I was... 4 maybe 3, I never got to see his Rookie year thus he is not included and my statement stands.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
He'll be fine. PG is the hardest position to play in basketball and it's not like the Wizards had any good talent to put around him at all. He'll be fine. Give him time, D-Will was hardly a world beater in his first season
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]

[QUOTE="Snakemaster9"]

louisfoxton

Allen Iverson Rookie Stats: 23.5 PPG 4.1 RPG 7.5 APG .416 FG% 2.1 SPG 4.43 TOPG Blake Griffin Rookie Stats 22.3 PPG 12.0 RPG 3.6 APG .500 FG% 2.7 TOPG I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say Griffin is having a better rookie season. In any case, neither of them had or are having the best rookie seasons ever. Wilt Chamberlain came in and averaged 37.0 PPG and 27.0 RPG. Michael Jordan came in and netted 28.2 PPG in his rookie season. And let's not forget Oscar Robertson who almost averaged a triple double with 30.5 PPG, 10.1 RPG and 9.7 APG.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Wall's looking like a beast. 15 points and 8 assists is great for a rookie, and PG isn't exactly easy to play. He needs to watch his turnovers, and improve his defense but he has a bright future.
EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Blake Griffin is stealing ALL the spotlight right now. Also, John Wall had some injury issues in the beginning of the season that sort of hurt him a bit. He was getting attention but he was out a lot of games. Oh, and did I mention Blake Griffin? I think Wall will be another Rose, or has the potential to be that kind of player. He just needs a better supporting cast.