What's the appeal of Nascar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

First off, I'm not trying to troll any Nascar fans (some of my friends are) or stock-car racing in itself. I'm trying to understand what's so appealing about it.

See, I'm a motoring enthusiast, I like magazines like Top Gear or Evo, I like it when I see a M5, a 911 Turbo or even an Evo X or an R32 in the street, I appreciate it. I play a lot of Forza 4 and GT5. I'm also a Formula 1 fan.

There are many things working against NASCAR : The tracks are all basically oval, and that nullifies a lot of driving skills a driver could have, the races are way too long, the scoring system seems overly complicated, the cars themselves aren't even stock cars, which makes the name itself sounds like a big lie (like World Series or NBA World Champions, and I'm a HUGE NBA fan). Seriously, have you ever seen a stock Camry equipped with a 850-hp V8 at your local dealership?

Are there any fans out there who would like to explain why the thing is so freaking popular? I can watch whole F1 races without blinking, but I can't watch 3 minutes of NASCAR without going completely mad and/or bored. Maybe there's something I'm not getting right. Am I missing something?

EDIT : And please don't take it personally. I mean, I wouldn't care if you told me you thought F1 was stupid and basketball/tennis/soccer were for sissies or something, I can honestly see why each would get dissed and disliked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

crashes

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
The skill of the drivers. Yes the tracks are oval, but they are driving 175 mph 6 inches from each other for 150+ laps, thats intense. The strategy, when to pit, who to pit with, how much gas to take, how many tires to change, does the car need a wedge tweak so on and so forth. The fact you never know whats going to happen, every turn is as dangerous as the last. Lastly the fact the rubbing isn't frowned at. Nothing like seeing a good fight for position. It's the only racing event I know of that lets people hit each other legally. Maybe it's because I was raised around the sport, but I love it.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20504 Posts
I don't know, but I always find myself watching some of it.
Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacen22
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

Just apply a fresh dip of Vagisil and just turn to the left. :P

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BaraChat

The skill of the drivers. Yes the tracks are oval, but they are driving 175 mph 6 inches from each other for 150+ laps, thats intense. The strategy, when to pit, who to pit with, how much gas to take, how many tires to change, does the car need a wedge tweak so on and so forth. The fact you never know whats going to happen, every turn is as dangerous as the last. Lastly the fact the rubbing isn't frowned at. Nothing like seeing a good fight for position. It's the only racing event I know of that lets people hit each other legally. Maybe it's because I was raised around the sport, but I love it.i5750at4Ghz

I'm glad to hear (well, read) a reasonable explanation. But wouldn't they be showing more driving skills (because I'm pretty sure those guys can do more than "turn left FAST") by constantly accelerating and decelerating on various corners at different angles, with straights and hairpin turns?

As for the strategy and not knowing what can happen at any turn, I can understand, since we have it in F1 as well.

But I can't wrap my head around the fact it's still called stock car racing. That's a blatant lie. To me it's like saying Slam Ball is "good ol' basketball" or that professional wrestling is 100% genuine.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
The strategy I suppose. I think it is stupid, but I could see the appeal.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]The skill of the drivers. Yes the tracks are oval, but they are driving 175 mph 6 inches from each other for 150+ laps, thats intense. The strategy, when to pit, who to pit with, how much gas to take, how many tires to change, does the car need a wedge tweak so on and so forth. The fact you never know whats going to happen, every turn is as dangerous as the last. Lastly the fact the rubbing isn't frowned at. Nothing like seeing a good fight for position. It's the only racing event I know of that lets people hit each other legally. Maybe it's because I was raised around the sport, but I love it.BaraChat

I'm glad to hear (well, read) a reasonable explanation. But wouldn't they be showing more driving skills (because I'm pretty sure those guys can do more than "turn left FAST") by constantly accelerating and decelerating on various corners at different angles, with straights and hairpin turns?

As for the strategy and not knowing what can happen at any turn, I can understand, since we have it in F1 as well.

But I can't wrap my head around the fact it's still called stock car racing. That's a blatant lie. To me it's like saying Slam Ball is "good ol' basketball" or that professional wrestling is 100% genuine.

It being called stock car racing is a generational thing, it's simply a named passed down. When "stock" car racing first started the cars were in fact stock cars. They simply never changed the name once they started to allow modifications.

Nascar has road courses, but imo the super speedways require more skill. It's all about the speed and how close the cars are to one another. Watch a few laps of the two events and I dare anyone to say a road course requires more skill.

The teamwork aspect is often overlooked as well. But belive it or not Nascar is a huge team sport. You can't do a damn thing alone on that track, it's always at least a dual effort.

Perfect example of the teamwork and skill involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4nyYCiM98&hd=1

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I don't get it... The last 10 laps can be exciting. I will watch that. But hundreds of laps of that is very boring IMO
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

What driver skill? You race on a track that's wide enough for 5 cars to get next to each other. They stop racing when it rains. It's not like they run on winding tracks were sometime you pass or get passed by someone when there seems hardly any room for both cars. They don't have to decide between hard, soft or wet tyres.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i5750at4Ghz

What driver skill? You race on a track that's wide enough for 5 cars to get next to each other. They stop racing when it rains. It's not like they run on winding tracks were sometime you pass or get passed by someone when there seems hardly any room for both cars. They don't have to decide between hard, soft or wet tyres.

CADMAN_3

Do you even watch the races?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon
Racing... Athletic ability or learned skill??? What say you people?
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Racing... Athletic ability or learned skill??? What say you people?

Learned skill no doubt. Yeah you need good reflexes and what not, but I would hardly call someone sitting on there ass for 200 laps athletic.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsavon
We agree. Golfers and drivers are not 'athletes' IMO (that is not the same as saying no athletes do those things). Both of those are learned skills
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
Ive been watching Nascar since I was kid and I gotta say the cars, speed, and crashes. The skill set that is displayed along with the point system keeps things a bit more interesting as the season goes on.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]We agree. Golfers and drivers are not 'athletes' IMO (that is not the same as saying no athletes do those things). Both of those are learned skills

NASCAR is a sport of strength, skill, and endurance so one can look at the drivers and the teams as being athletic. These debate has been going on forever and has increased since Nascar numbers are increasing and the popular opinion is that its not a sport and the drivers arent athletes. I think they are.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

CADMAN_3

Jimmie Johnson's won the cup 5 years in a row (I think), that's not just dumb luck. It definitely takes some skill.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
I look at it like this... If I could work my ass off at it/train everyday and make it to the minor leagues of that 'sport', then it is a skill...not a sport to me -a sport being something that requires athletic ability + training Like I could practice everyday from the time I was 12 and make the PGA or Nike tour...I would never be great, but I could make it. The same goes with driving. But I could never make the NBA of NFL no matter how hard I tried. My biggest argument/support against both Golf and Driving being a sport is the age of past champions. If you can compete at the top level at age 60, then it is not a sport...it is a skill
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Me neither, and why does it have like 40 races??? Every other circuit has about 20 or less, who do they think they are? Sounds like milkage to me. The races are insanely long and hardly any road courses................and how do you choose a driver? In sports you root for your hometown team or bandwagon a good one, so what do you do? Bandwagon Dale Jr.? Jeff Gordon cause he's from Cali, at least i think he's from Cali..........? Just got into F1 this year even if it's the same guy winning, they go all over the world, they have a guy i can root for (Perez the Mexican) and there aren't that many races. They have that DRS thingymabob and pitting with soft or hard tires, then the announcers are pretty cool as well. I've been into MotoGP for a while, even if we do get jipped on Speed Channel coverage. Only 20 laps or so, they will race in the rain, all over the world and there are 3 Americans i can root for, only about 10 staple riders so you get to know their personalities n such. If you need more to get your fix you can also check out the 125CC and 600CC races.
criminalscum87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 criminalscum87
Member since 2011 • 288 Posts

I'm a fan but I couldn't tell you...:lol:

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Racing... Athletic ability or learned skill??? What say you people?

A bit of both I say. I'm not sure about NASCAR, but being able to drive an F1 car for 2 hours requires quite a lot of endurance.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 monkeytoes61
[QUOTE="kingdre"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Racing... Athletic ability or learned skill??? What say you people?

A bit of both I say. I'm not sure about NASCAR, but being able to drive an F1 car for 2 hours requires quite a lot of endurance.

Yeah, and it takes a lot of endurance for a women to give birth to a child. Endurance =/= athletic ability.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdre"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Racing... Athletic ability or learned skill??? What say you people?monkeytoes61

Yeah, and it takes a lot of endurance for a women to give birth to a child. Endurance =/= athletic ability.

hey you never know.... what if they need to "drain the pipes" during the 3 hour race? takes ALOT of heart to pull that off.......

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 X360PS3AMD05
More like concentration, you guys should talk about the mental aspects of drivers and you'd probably have a better shot convincing people they are athletes, they are the best in the world at actually doing it.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BaraChat

I don't doubt the mental aspect of the race, since it's very, very long (too long?) and to stay focused during a few hours while sitting down but going at 150-200 MPH is something else.

As for the physical aspect, endurance is key, but the toll taken on your body is not as hard as it is in Formula 1, where G-Force is sometimes twice as strong and it's more constant, since the accelerate and decelerate a lot and there are (obviously) many more turns on a F1 track.

Although, I was playing GT5 and trying NASCAR stuff for the first time (No appeal to me at first), and it is harder than I thought to make a decent turn at 150+mph, so it does require some skill (it's a game, I know, but it's a simulation nonetheless).

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rawsavon
endurance requirement =/= athletic ability or an athlete IMO ...I don't count endurance runners as athletes
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

endurance requirement =/= athletic ability or an athlete IMO ...I don't count endurance runners as athletesrawsavon

How are endurance runners not athletes?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]endurance requirement =/= athletic ability or an athlete IMO ...I don't count endurance runners as athleteshkhatir

How are endurance runners not athletes?

being able to run for a long time is not my idea of what an athlete is. athletic ability IMO is not something you can practice/learn...it is something you have (you can hone it, but not create it)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 X360PS3AMD05
The Iditarod peeps are athletes too...............that's it i think i've crossed over to the dark side. It's a load of bollocks my friend, you HAVE To practice, they all do, after 10,000 hours of doing something you will be good at it is what i've heard. All these athletes have been doing it since they were kids, they don't just wake up and say "i'll go play in the super bowl today" they have to lift weights to get strong and you can lift weights for endurance as well. I think it's silly to call only one guy an athlete.......ok yah my 180 is complete. I just have to go out and try that Nascar experience at California speedway to see how hard it is. Do we start to nitpick and say "it's just the special ones who were born with that special something" Ok so the starters on the super bowl are athletes but the 3rd stringer who only played in 5 plays is not? The 3rd string kicker is still an athlete, he does it better than a ton of peeps out there. Where do you put the bar? Whoever is as good as Jordan is an athlete? Everyone else is not? Then we can get into the whole debate that they weren't born with a special gene at all, they just worked harder than most people at it. None of it even matters as sport is defined by "things done for leisure or to pass the time" so hell even darts count.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rawsavon
I am not questioning the amount of practice they put in. What I am saying is that if I could do it with enough practice, then it is not a sport to me. No matter how much I practiced, I am not making the NFL or NBA. But I could practice everyday and make the PGA or Nike Tours (not be great, but make it). To me that makes it a skill...not a sport.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
NASCAR does not appeal to me at all really, I like street racing and that's about it.
RexHoles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 RexHoles
Member since 2009 • 271 Posts

Rally car > Nascar

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BaraChat
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I am not questioning the amount of practice they put in. What I am saying is that if I could do it with enough practice, then it is not a sport to me. No matter how much I practiced, I am not making the NFL or NBA. But I could practice everyday and make the PGA or Nike Tours (not be great, but make it). To me that makes it a skill...not a sport.

That's kinda weird. I agree with you that driving is more a skill than a sport, but I don't get your point about those other sports. How do you think then people make the NBA/NFL then? They practice and play a whole damn lot. That's basically the "secret" of any sport, just practice and play a lot.

Rally car > Nascar

RexHoles
Yeah, but we don't get much televised Rally racing here in Canada, even on specialized TV channels.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rawsavon
[QUOTE="BaraChat"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]I am not questioning the amount of practice they put in. What I am saying is that if I could do it with enough practice, then it is not a sport to me. No matter how much I practiced, I am not making the NFL or NBA. But I could practice everyday and make the PGA or Nike Tours (not be great, but make it). To me that makes it a skill...not a sport.

That's kinda weird. I agree with you that driving is more a skill than a sport, but I don't get your point about those other sports. How do you think then people make the NBA/NFL then? They practice and play a whole damn lot. That's basically the "secret" of any sport, just practice and play a lot.

You are missing (at least part of) my point. -nowhere did I say those in the NBA or NFL don't practice/work their ass off to get there. It requires BOTH skill (honed over time) and athletic ability (genetics). -I could make the Nike golf tour through skill alone (practice hours every day) and not being very athletic...that makes it not a sport to me. -no matter how much I practiced, I am never making the NFL or NBA b/c of the part of the 'job' that requires athletic ability. NOWHERE did I say that that 'job' does not require skill. I said it requires athletic ability in addition to skill (where Golf just requires skill...see Tom Watson or John Daly)
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

It is the easiest sport to follow while drunk. Also, it helps my dad sleep.

Thats all I got

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

To me, NASCAR and F1 racing is more of a competition than a sport. We all have "raced" our friends here and there in our lifetimes. I know it must be hard to sit in a car for 5 hours, going 150 mph or whatever, and race strategizing. And you have to be in good shape to handle that...haven't there been drivers that have done back flips? Not in the car.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
It would be cool to see them race in city streets or long distance across the country, but that's just not possible...Plus like others said, it can be fun to see just how skilled they are at driving, with most of them being mere inches from one another while going over 100mph.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BaraChat

You are missing (at least part of) my point.

-nowhere did I say those in the NBA or NFL don't practice/work their ass off to get there. It requires BOTH skill (honed over time) and athletic ability (genetics).

-I could make the Nike golf tour through skill alone (practice hours every day) and not being very athletic...that makes it not a sport to me.

-no matter how much I practiced, I am never making the NFL or NBA b/c of the part of the 'job' that requires athletic ability. NOWHERE did I say that that 'job' does not require skill. I said it requires athletic ability in addition to skill (where Golf just requires skill...see Tom Watson or John Daly)rawsavon

Oh, now I understand where you're going. I still think it's possible to become a professional athlete even if you're not born with crazy genetics, but it's about 72x harder. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Who needs sleeping meds when you have Nascar?

PunkAntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PunkAntiHero
Member since 2011 • 628 Posts
Crashes for the most part and I guess the thrill of fast cars.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Crashes for the most part and I guess the thrill of fast cars.PunkAntiHero
It kind of makes me sick to think people enjoy cars crashing. Drivers often get injured and sometimes killed.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Who needs sleeping meds when you have Nascar?

sherman-tank1
It is funny when you see car race fans pass out during races
BryanaButlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BryanaButlar
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Since I was a kid, I love watching Nascar. The cars, their speeds and those ruthless crashes, I enjoyed them all. But I've never watch any game through the point of view of a critique, so couldn't add much here. Still I'm a big fan of this game.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monkeytoes61
After how close the championship was this year, I see the appeal a little better. I still think racing is dumb, but it was awesome that it all came down to that last race, with a little friendly trash talk leading up to it.