The Official NBA 2011-2012 Playoffs!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The Basketball season starts on Christmas Day, what are your thoughts for this season and lockout?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/A-reminder-that-the-players-lost-the-lockout-qui;_ylt=Ap2KrnD4eVTm34fdMJMP.De8vLYF?urn=nba-wp11008

http://z6mag.com/sports/nba-lockout-news-nba-season-is-not-cancelled-players-fans-are-both-happy-163304.html

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
The owners didn't get any of the hardline stuff they were fapping over since july. I don't see how they won this lockout
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
^I think the owners won but they didn't win as much as they were hoping to. They still get 6-7% more of the Basketball-Related Income than they had last year...the players surely didn't win.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Owners didn't win, NBA going downhill when only big city teams keep winning. No hard salary cap like NFL, no revenue sharing like baseball. Players just go to big cities and that it's.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Halftime-
Owners didn't win, NBA going downhill when only big city teams keep winning. No hard salary cap like NFL, no revenue sharing like baseball. Players just go to big cities and that it's. Master_Live
Ignoring the fact that Miami, New York, the Clippers, The Bulls the Celtics, the Knicks have all in the recent past been abysmal.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#6 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Owners didn't win, NBA going downhill when only big city teams keep winning. No hard salary cap like NFL, no revenue sharing like baseball. Players just go to big cities and that it's. -Halftime-
Ignoring the fact that Miami, New York, the Clippers, The Bulls the Celtics, the Knicks have all in the recent past been abysmal.

I wouldn't say Miami has been abysmal, unless you're looking way into the past. But for about five years in a row Miami did make it to the Playoffs and they did win the championship in 2006.

But Boston, Clippers, Bulls and NY were all pretty bad for a long time until basically recently, except the Clippers. They're still pretty bad.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Owners didn't win, NBA going downhill when only big city teams keep winning. No hard salary cap like NFL, no revenue sharing like baseball. Players just go to big cities and that it's. Master_Live
Nobody won, fact. Clippers need to move or be removed as a franchise.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Halftime-

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]Owners didn't win, NBA going downhill when only big city teams keep winning. No hard salary cap like NFL, no revenue sharing like baseball. Players just go to big cities and that it's. NeonNinja

I wouldn't say Miami has been abysmal, unless you're looking way into the past. But for about five years in a row Miami did make it to the Playoffs and they did win the championship in 2006.

But Boston, Clippers, Bulls and NY were all pretty bad for a long time until basically recently, except the Clippers. They're still pretty bad.

A couple seasons ago the Heat were terrible. They had two abysmal years in a row. Market has the same effect in basketball as it does in football or baseball. Players would rather play in LA or Miami than a place like Milwaukee. But small market teams can and will win if the owners draft well and spend their money wisely. The Spurs didn't win 4 titles by luck. They drafted well, spent their money when they needed to, and kept the team on top. There is absolutely no reason why other small market teams can't do the same. Other than the fact they they are cheap, sign bad players to bad deals, and can't draft worth a damn.
fudger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 fudger2
Member since 2004 • 2315 Posts

Tayshaun Prince... PLEASE COME TO SAN ANTONIO

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"] Ignoring the fact that Miami, New York, the Clippers, The Bulls the Celtics, the Knicks have all in the recent past been abysmal.-Halftime-

A couple seasons ago the Heat were terrible. They had two abysmal years in a row. Market has the same effect in basketball as it does in football or baseball. Players would rather play in LA or Miami than a place like Milwaukee. But small market teams can and will win if the owners draft well and spend their money wisely. The Spurs didn't win 4 titles by luck. They drafted well, spent their money when they needed to, and kept the team on top. There is absolutely no reason why other small market teams can't do the same. Other than the fact they they are cheap, sign bad players to bad deals, and can't draft worth a damn.

I agree with Halftime on this one; both on how the owners are the ones failing and that the Heat were at one point terrible. :lol:

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

fudger2
I think he's coming to chicago where they could possibly play Deng at SG
Stuffed_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stuffed_Monkey
Member since 2007 • 1436 Posts
[QUOTE="fudger2"]

PSP107

Going to the Clippers is another possibility. They are really in need of a SF and one that has post season experience as well.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="fudger2"]

Stuffed_Monkey

Going to the Clippers is another possibility. They are really in need of a SF and one that has post season experience as well.

I want the PIstons to do a sign and trade with Prince for Chris Kaman. Probably too idealistic though lol.
fudger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 fudger2
Member since 2004 • 2315 Posts
[QUOTE="GodofBigMacs"][QUOTE="Stuffed_Monkey"][QUOTE="PSP107"] I think he's coming to chicago where they could possibly play Deng at SG

I want the PIstons to do a sign and trade with Prince for Chris Kaman. Probably too idealistic though lol.

I don't think Prince is a money guy, I think he'd want to go to a winner. So Chicago seems more likely.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
But the fact remains that the Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Rays, etc. have made the WS. When have we seen the Kings, Bucks, Hornets make the finals?
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
But the fact remains that the Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Rays, etc. have made the WS. When have we seen the Kings, Bucks, Hornets make the finals? X360PS3AMD05
That's due to bad moves. The Rays sucked for the longest, but then they started making moves that worked out/smart
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Halftime-

But the fact remains that the Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Rays, etc. have made the WS. When have we seen the Kings, Bucks, Hornets make the finals? X360PS3AMD05
Some of the smallest markets in the league are constantly in the conference finals and going deep in the playoffs. Let's not act like Sacramento, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Portland, Detroit, Oklahoma City, Orlando, etc, havent all played deep in the playoffs in the last ten seasons, some of them for many years in a row. Hell, Salt Lake City and Portland were two of the most consistent teams in the league relatively recently. Orlando was in the Finals a few years ago, and Detroit won a title. The Bucks were in the Eastern Conference Finals ten seasons ago. So were the Kings. Indiana was great every year for a long time. Memphis has the most promising team in the league not named OKC and they knocked off a one seed last year. Minneapolis was an annual playoff contender till they started doing stupid things. New Orleans had the best record in the west 3 seasons ago. It's not about market. It's about decisions.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]But the fact remains that the Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Rays, etc. have made the WS. When have we seen the Kings, Bucks, Hornets make the finals? -Halftime-

Some of the smallest markets in the league are constantly in the conference finals and going deep in the playoffs. Let's not act like Sacramento, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Portland, Detroit, Oklahoma City, Orlando, etc, havent all played deep in the playoffs in the last ten seasons, some of them for many years in a row. Hell, Salt Lake City and Portland were two of the most consistent teams in the league relatively recently. Orlando was in the Finals a few years ago, and Detroit won a title. The Bucks were in the Eastern Conference Finals ten seasons ago. So were the Kings. Indiana was great every year for a long time. Memphis has the most promising team in the league not named OKC and they knocked off a one seed last year. Minneapolis was an annual playoff contender till they started doing stupid things. New Orleans had the best record in the west 3 seasons ago. It's not about market. It's about decisions.

People say the regular season in the nba the doesnt matter. funny because i think thats more true in baseball/football considering wildcard teams end up winning it all. The NBA teams that have a good season all year long end up winning it while if you get hot at the end of the season of baseball and football, you could win it all.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JML897

When's the last time we've seen the Royals, Orioles, Brewers, or Athletics make the World Series? I think it's been decades or never for all of them.

Yeah the Brewers were really close this year..but the Hornets have been a solid team and the Kings probably should have been in the finals at least once semi-recently.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSP107

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]But the fact remains that the Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Rays, etc. have made the WS. When have we seen the Kings, Bucks, Hornets make the finals? JML897

When's the last time we've seen the Royals, Orioles, Brewers, or Athletics make the World Series? I think it's been decades or never for all of them.

Yeah the Brewers were really close this year..but the Hornets have been a solid team and the Kings probably should have been in the finals at least once semi-recently.

Bucks went to Game 7 in the Eastern conference finals in 2001 while The Kings went to the Western Conference finals in 2002
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FireEmblem_Man

Bulls vs Lakers better not be at the same time as Bears vs Packers :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/chi/schedule?view=calendar&season=2011&m=12

The schedule is subject to change

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JML897

^Judging by the time it looks like Bulls/Lakers would be ending just as Bears/Packers is getting ready for kickoff.

It'll be an awesome day to be a Chicago sports fan (or an awful day I guess if they lose both games).

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107

Bulls vs Lakers better not be at the same time as Bears vs Packers :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/chi/schedule?view=calendar&season=2011&m=12

The schedule is subject to change

FireEmblem_Man

what a double whammy. I just hope bears are playing a meaningless game which means they secured the 5th seeded wildcard spot. So may not be a point of watching the bears vs packers unless chicago fans care about pakers going 16-0

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Go Pacers!
sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
YESSS SO EXCITED.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

With Dwight Howard being one of my favorite players... I really wish he doesn't pull a Shaq and stays in Orlando. He could try to get someone(Paul or WIlliams) to come to him instead of him having to go somewhere else.

sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
I really hate how all the superstars are trying to form "Super Teams" now. Thanks Lebron, Wade, and Bosh :|
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 No_Hablo_Ingles
I really hate how all the superstars are trying to form "Super Teams" now. Thanks Allen, Garrnett, and Pierce :|sergemyster8
edited.
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Metta World Peace...Ok. A little strange, but I like the message.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_Live
Super teams will kill the NBA.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 No_Hablo_Ingles
Super teams will kill the NBA. Master_Live
Yeah, because ratings haven't been going up since Boston, Knicks, etc. became relevant again.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Major_Snake

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Super teams will kill the NBA. No_Hablo_Ingles
Yeah, because ratings haven't been going up since Boston, Knicks, etc. became relevant again.

Still pretty bad for the small market teams like Toronto, Minnesota, maybe Denver since they don't have star power.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jagged3dge

I don't get it. There are always like 4 or 5 teams that completely dominate the league.

Throughout history most championships have gone to either the Lakers, Celtics or Bulls. Underdog teams are almost none existent since in a 7-game series the better team always pulls through.

I could see why you would get mad if Danny Granger was leaving your Pacers to go actually play for a championship, but some guys are that competitive, they aren't satisfied with just the salary.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]Super teams will kill the NBA. Major_Snake

Still pretty bad for the small market teams like Toronto, Minnesota, maybe Denver since they don't have star power.

Speaking of Denver, has everyone here seen how screwed they are this year?

Here's a list of players who are stuck overseas this year. Basically they signed contracts that didn't have any opt-out clauses so they have to stay there. The list is mostly bench players but the Nuggets lost Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, and Kenyon Martin. Aaron Brooks is stuck too. The Chinese season ends in March but by then the Nuggets might be in too big of a hole.

If you're a player as good as Wilson Chandler how do you not make sure there's an opt-out clause? :?

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jagged3dge

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] Yeah, because ratings haven't been going up since Boston, Knicks, etc. became relevant again.JML897

Speaking of Denver, has everyone here seen how screwed they are this year?

Here's a list of players who are stuck overseas this year. Basically they signed contracts that didn't have any opt-out clauses so they have to stay there. The list is mostly bench players but the Nuggets lost Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, and Kenyon Martin. Aaron Brooks is stuck too. The Chinese season ends in March but by then the Nuggets might be in too big of a hole.

If you're a player as good as Wilson Chandler how do you not make sure there's an opt-out clause? :?

Guess they saw no hope :lol:

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 No_Hablo_Ingles
They (the Chinese) didn't allow an opt-out clause. If you signed to play in China, you MUST play for the year. In return, the Chinese pay for a majority of your living expenses. They can not leave and play Basketball in the states till their season is over. If they leave, you will not see them in the NBA till the Chinese season ends anyway, and possibly ever. Also Wilson Chandler is KILLING it in China. Last I checked he is averaging 50 points a game.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]Super teams will kill the NBA. Major_Snake

Yeah, because we all loved to see HOFers waste their careers away in wastelands like Minnesota (See Kevin Garnett).

Honestly, LeBron could have stayed in Cleveland for his entire career, and wanna know what would have happened? He would have been mentioned with: Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley on the list of greatest players ever without a ring.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Major_Snake

Yeah but at least they were competitive... nowadays it's a sure thing that either LA, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, or Miami will win the NBA title this next year, the year after that and the year after that. Everybody else is just a stepping stone.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 No_Hablo_Ingles
You know Dallas use to suck? I believe their first ring ever they got last year... And I believe the THUNDER will have something to say about those teams with the only shot.
mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mont13
Member since 2006 • 1468 Posts

"The Basketball season starts on Christmas Day, what are your thoughts for this season and lockout?"

For me it's all about how much Kobe has left and how long he can continue to hang with the young stars. Also what direction Mike Brown will take the Lakers, can he get them to play defense and ultimately compete for another title, will D. Fisher give it up or accept a lesser role...etc.

Also interested in what the Heat, Knicks, Bulls and Thunder will do (ok, home town Pacers too), the Chris Paul and D. Howard situations and the season in general.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Master_Live
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Super teams will kill the NBA. No_Hablo_Ingles

NBA has always been top heavy but never like this. Small markets team will continue to lose money and with no true revenue sharing the only option is contraction.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
And let's get this stickied for the new season. I'm just intrigued about Boston and Rondo.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JML897

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Master_Live"]Super teams will kill the NBA. Master_Live

NBA has always been top heavy but never like this. Small markets team will continue to lose money and with no true revenue sharing the only option is contraction.

Sucks for fans in those markets but personally I wouldn't mind getting rid of a couple teams. gg Bobcats

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 No_Hablo_Ingles
The Rockets do fine without any major stars. If we ever get a center that is taller than 6'6 or injury prone, WATCH OUT NBA! :P
Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Conscrumptured
Member since 2010 • 796 Posts

I'm just excited to see Metta World Peace play. I've never seen this player in action before and I've heard very good things. :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireEmblem_Man

And let's get this stickied for the new season. I'm just intrigued about Boston and Rondo.Yagr_Zero

Thank you sir for your support :)

Hopefully the Bulls can go all the way this year.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] Yeah, because ratings haven't been going up since Boston, Knicks, etc. became relevant again.No_Hablo_Ingles

Yeah, because we all loved to see HOFers waste their careers away in wastelands like Minnesota (See Kevin Garnett).

Honestly, LeBron could have stayed in Cleveland for his entire career, and wanna know what would have happened? He would have been mentioned with: Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley on the list of greatest players ever without a ring.

Or he could have not quit and actually finished out the Boston series, which the Cavs easily could have won. If a player quits, then I can't really seeing him fit this scenario.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
THe Knicks are relevant? When did this happen?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JML897
They made the playoffs last year, have two stars, and will probably be getting Chris Paul soon. That's more relevant than they've been in a long time...with Paul they'd be a contender in the east.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
THe Knicks are relevant? When did this happen?X360PS3AMD05
I know, it's shocking. After going through a number of years of being the league's circus, they finally got their **** together. It does help to have Stoudemire and Anthony on your team.