Start your Rookie QB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

I have to disagree with the whole "give them time to learn the offense" knowing the offense on paper means nothing on the field if you can't execute. Bill Parcels was desperate last year with Bledsoe and put in Tony Romo after saying earlier in the year he didn't feel confident in him. What my point is these Qb's best time to play football is by playing, sitting Jamarcus Russel and Brady Quin is Idiotic. If you don't have a solid QB and drafted a Rookie QB start him and go game to game. Ben Rothlisberger lead his team to the Playoffs his first 2 years in the league. If Jamarcus and Brady are your future you need to start them in week 1 cause next year don't hold your breath cause they still have to learn to avoid a Pass Rush and throw inbetween windows, something they won't learn this year.

Why take 2 years to do something you can do in 1? Oaklands not making the playoffs Even though Clevlands doing good whos to say if they started Brady in week 1 they might have been a better team. Look what Rothlisberger did when Maddox got injured in his first year.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#2 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Rather have a rookie QB sit and learn. McNair did that years ago with the Titans(might been Oilers when he came in I forget)and was a good QB for them for that. Some are good enough mentally and physically(increased games from college with stronger opposition)to handle it, most are not. Rather see a QB watch for a year, with some can come in midway to end of season to get the reps. Russells time should be now. Quinns time is not as Anderson is doing a fine job as the starter.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

It's not just the offense, which is a valid point. Execution is the most important part, but you can't even get to that if you don't even know how to run each play. As a rookie, it takes you a lot longer to learn a NFL playbook than a vet, so they sit for awhile until they have it down.

After that is the part where you throw him out there too soon. The guy is out of College, most times playing in a good team, so not used to a pass rush. He comes in and if you throw him to the wolves, he'll get hit 10 times harder and 10 times more than he did in college. He'll have 1/10th the time he had in college. All that contributes to a young guy losing confidence. He'll get flustered in the pocket easily in his career, throw off his back foot, throw it too soon. Stuff like that. That's what happened to Carr and Couch.

This approach worked well with Palmer and Pennington. For some QBs, it does, for some it doesn't. There's no right way and there's no what if b/c you only get one shot. That's why QBs are the riskiest position in football. There's just as many if not more 1st round QB busts as there are booms.

PS: Also when you start a rookie from day 1, you're effectively telling the vets that you've given up on the season before it even began. You simply can't run a team that way.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 peacebringer
Rather have a rookie QB sit and learn. McNair did that years ago with the Titans(might been Oilers when he came in I forget)and was a good QB for them for that. Some are good enough mentally and physically(increased games from college with stronger opposition)to handle it, most are not. Rather see a QB watch for a year, with some can come in midway to end of season to get the reps. Russells time should be now. Quinns time is not as Anderson is doing a fine job as the starter.mrgab
I agree that Anderson should keep playing thats for sure, i am saying they should have just started Quin in day one because he needs more reps to learn thats a fact. It doesn't take the whole season to learn from the sideline around week 8 a rookies set but by then the starters too deep into the season for a switch. I'm just saying they need to stop holding these guys, just throw them to the fire and i think there be better QB's,
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peacebringer

It's not just the offense, which is a valid point. Execution is the most important part, but you can't even get to that if you don't even know how to run each play. As a rookie, it takes you a lot longer to learn a NFL playbook than a vet, so they sit for awhile until they have it down.

After that is the part where you throw him out there too soon. The guy is out of College, most times playing in a good team, so not used to a pass rush. He comes in and if you throw him to the wolves, he'll get hit 10 times harder and 10 times more than he did in college. He'll have 1/10th the time he had in college. All that contributes to a young guy losing confidence. He'll get flustered in the pocket easily in his career, throw off his back foot, throw it too soon. Stuff like that. That's what happened to Carr and Couch.

This approach worked well with Palmer and Pennington. For some QBs, it does, for some it doesn't. There's no right way and there's no what if b/c you only get one shot. That's why QBs are the riskiest position in football. There's just as many if not more 1st round QB busts as there are booms.

PS: Also when you start a rookie from day 1, you're effectively telling the vets that you've given up on the season before it even began. You simply can't run a team that way.

manningbowl135
thats not true about vets thinking seasons over when a rookie comes in. Rothlisberger Playoffs year 1 Suber bowl year 2. A QB who didn't start his first year and plays his first game in year 2 will still get flustered in the pocket easily in his career, throw off his back foot, throw it too soon. These are all things they would learn if they play games siting on the sideline does nothing to help there Mechanics, Ask a rookie QB what he thinks is best for him and majority of the time he'll say play because he knows the only way he's gonna get good is with real time practice. These so many losy Qb's in the NFl and most them had to sit there first year. Peyton Played his first year he played like crap but trust me had they sat him all season it would have took him longer to develope. I Think more coaches need to realize not playing is hurting there rookie QB's.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 manningbowl135
[QUOTE="manningbowl135"]

peacebringer

thats not true about vets thinking seasons over when a rookie comes in. Rothlisberger Playoffs year 1 Suber bowl year 2. A QB who didn't start his first year and plays his first game in year 2 will still get flustered in the pocket easily in his career, throw off his back foot, throw it too soon. These are all things they would learn if they play games siting on the sideline does nothing to help there Mechanics, Ask a rookie QB what he thinks is best for him and majority of the time he'll say play because he knows the only way he's gonna get good is with real time practice. These so many losy Qb's in the NFl and most them had to sit there first year. Peyton Played his first year he played like crap but trust me had they sat him all season it would have took him longer to develope. I Think more coaches need to realize not playing is hurting there rookie QB's.

1) Roethlisberger is an anamoly. Most starting QBs are horrible in their rookie season. Starting them usually means you're giving up on the season and focusing on the future.

What I'm saying is there's no right way to tell what's the better way. You just said starting Peyton was the best way to develop him. I can't argue that b/c well..look how he turned out and I don't know how he would turn out if he sat. But you can look at it from the other side. Palmer, he sat and later became one of the best QBs in the league. If the Bengals had to do it again, would they start Palmer immediately? Should they? The sitting method resulted in the complete turnaround of their franchise and just like the Peyton situation, you can't say starting him would've been better b/c you don't know.

My point: Both methods have success and failure stories. There's no way to tell which one is the best way for a QB.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"]

manningbowl135

1) Roethlisberger is an anamoly. Most starting QBs are horrible in their rookie season. Starting them usually means you're giving up on the season and focusing on the future.

What I'm saying is there's no right way to tell what's the better way. You just said starting Peyton was the best way to develop him. I can't argue that b/c well..look how he turned out and I don't know how he would turn out if he sat. But you can look at it from the other side. Palmer, he sat and later became one of the best QBs in the league. If the Bengals had to do it again, would they start Palmer immediately? Should they? The sitting method resulted in the complete turnaround of their franchise and just like the Peyton situation, you can't say starting him would've been better b/c you don't know.

My point: Both methods have success and failure stories. There's no way to tell which one is the best way for a QB.

Sorry your wrong Palmer is pure potential he's not there yet, had they started him earlier maybe he would be more developed he did have to miss alot of games do to injury and thats another thing what if in year 2 they get hurt, it will be till year 3 that they actually get playing time and thats not enough, some of the best QB's surprise people when they come in. Had i drafted Jamarcus or Brady they would be playing already and maybe would be much better for it next year, Clevelands or Oaklands not winning anything this year so why not?
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 manningbowl135
[QUOTE="manningbowl135"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"]

peacebringer

Sorry your wrong Palmer is pure potential he's not there yet, had they started him earlier maybe he would be more developed he did have to miss alot of games do to injury and thats another thing what if in year 2 they get hurt, it will be till year 3 that they actually get playing time and thats not enough, some of the best QB's surprise people when they come in. Had i drafted Jamarcus or Brady they would be playing already and maybe would be much better for it next year, Clevelands or Oaklands not winning anything this year so why not?

You're not making any valid arguements at all.

Just speculation. Maybe Palmer would be more developed. Maybe Manning would have 5 SB if he sat.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

Rather have a rookie QB sit and learn. McNair did that years ago with the Titans(might been Oilers when he came in I forget)and was a good QB for them for that. Some are good enough mentally and physically(increased games from college with stronger opposition)to handle it, most are not. Rather see a QB watch for a year, with some can come in midway to end of season to get the reps. Russells time should be now. Quinns time is not as Anderson is doing a fine job as the starter.mrgab

Totally agree. There are rare cases where a guy can handle it but usually it's too tough right off the bat. Now, if your QB is doing very bad for a few games or more in a row, then I totally think you should throw in your rookie QB because you have nothing to lose (example: Miami with John Beck). But if your QB is doing well there is no reason to put in the rookie, it's as simple as that.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"]

manningbowl135

You're not making any valid arguements at all.

Just speculation. Maybe Palmer would be more developed. Maybe Manning would have 5 SB if he sat.

Manningbowl is right. And the thing with Big Ben is that he started because Maddux got injured! He wasn't even going to start yet! Sure he did a great job but the Steelers didn't put him in because they felt that Maddux gave them the best chance to win and wanted Big Ben to learn more. It's a toss up no matter what you do though which is what Manningbowl said and he's right.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Two words: Alex Smith

/thread

twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
It's not good to start a rookie/young quarterback right away. They need some time. But I think if Josh McCown has one more bad game Jamarcus should get the start even though Josh played well a couple games.
Dreski83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 Dreski83
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts

really good topic peacebringer ;)

coaches have their reasons and to avoid sounding rude, I'll stick to that PC perspective.All bs aside, why would you draft a player, even if he was the punter, and not actually give him play time?! :? not only is it mighty moronic, but it sends a strange message to a young star who is dying to prove their worth and instead spends a majority of time on the bench.

Maybe these young stars pulled a Lienhart and had to be taught a lesson...

digiram79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 digiram79
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts
I agree. Why the hell would you draft a first round QB, let alone a top 10 that you feel is not ready to play yet??? That's just dumb. I don't get it.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 manningbowl135

I agree. Why the hell would you draft a first round QB, let alone a top 10 that you feel is not ready to play yet??? That's just dumb. I don't get it. digiram79

Because you think even if he's not ready now, he'll be great later. That's why 18 and 19 year olds are regularly drafted in the top 5 in the NBA. Potential. T-Mac toiled on the bench for a few years after coming out of high school as a 13th overall pick. Look at him now.