Playoff System Yes Or No.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Big_O2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Big_O2006
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
Now that I think about it, college football is exciting and more important when every game matters and with a playoff system, it kind of would ruin the game and just be like the NFL...all college football is missing is a little something at the end of the season.
Avatar image for deactivated-614fa247a87ab
deactivated-614fa247a87ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
Member since 2003 • 1858 Posts
I hope they never get a playoff system. There's too many teams. And for a team that did good all season and maybe had an 11-1 record to go into a playoff and lose to a 7-5 team and then be completely eliminated, that would make all of those wins during the regular season worthless.
cobb45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 cobb45
Member since 2004 • 1179 Posts

...all college football is missing is a little something at the end of the season.Big_O2006

That would be a Playoff System....IMO

Imagine if they had the BCS in the NFL, The Patriots and Cowboys end up with the best record in their conference so they automatically play for the superbowl. Does that sound right? What about previous seasons does the best team with the best record win the super bowl..no. The rest of the teams who finish with great records are left out. No wild card teams, and no division winners can have a shot to prove they can win the super bowl. You would ever have had the broncos, steelers or raiders as super bowl champions as they where wild cards and so on.

Division II has playoff why can't Division I have one.

Start with a 8 team playoff format, play 1 game in December and 1st week in January and a week or 2 weeks later the National Championship game. Some might feel a 16 team would be more fair but I think to start off with 8 team would be fair, You use the same formula like the bcs or come up with a new one to figure the best 8 teams to be in the playoffs.You keep the bowl system the way it is let the lesser teams have their bowls the way it yes today. You could have for example the insight.com or tire bowl be the sight of #8 seed vs #1.Try and keep the higher seed teams play in bowls close to their location for less travel they way they do in the NCAA basketball tournament. Or just let the 1st round games be played at the home stadium of the higher seeds.

In every sport, they use playoff format, why doesn't Division I football?The argument a playoff would ruin the tradition of bowls is not a good one, the bcs already has done that. No longer does the big ten and pac ten winner automatically meet in the rose bowl or the big 12(then eight) play in the orange bowl. Lets just move on get a playoff system in place.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#4 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
At most the top 4 teams in a playoff system.
Petshopboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Petshopboy
Member since 2003 • 1181 Posts
I think an 8-team playoff would be good. The reason I don't really watch college football (other than the bowls) is because I think the system sucks. This year being an exception somewhat with all the upsets, you can usually pick who is going to play in the BCS Bowl and be right. How often can you do that in the NFL? I think it's dumb that a computer decides who will play in the championship when there are over 100 teams. Come on now, give the other guys that may have had one more loss or a slightly smaller point total a shot.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#6 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I agree to an extent. Should be a 4 team playoff. #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3. Winners play for the title.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
I love tournaments and play offs, personally I would love to see a 16 team playoff between the top 16 teams in the country. However, if a playoff ever occurs? I gotta say an 8 team tournament probably.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts

Now that I think about it, college football is exciting and more important when every game matters and with a playoff system, it kind of would ruin the game and just be like the NFL...all college football is missing is a little something at the end of the season.Big_O2006

I say yes for a playoff system, the current system is very flawed.

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#9 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts

I agree to an extent. Should be a 4 team playoff. #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3. Winners play for the title.

GamerForca
sounds like a good idea
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
Yes, a tournament or a playoff system will be nice.
GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 GP1mil
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts
They should just do like they do with college basketball but only with football I don't like the BCS ranking system at all especially since last year Boise St. was undefeated and hardley got any spot light because of OSU and Florida
Avatar image for deactivated-614fa247a87ab
deactivated-614fa247a87ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
Member since 2003 • 1858 Posts
Is it just me or do I see the whole college football season as one big playoff tournament itself? That's why I don't feel the need for playoffs when the season itself is that. Each and every game means so much when it comes to the hunt for a title. In the NFL, you can lose five weeks in a row and still have a shot at the Super Bowl. I like the NFL and really enjoy their playoff season, cause that's when each game really counts. But I love NCAAF because it's the playoffs every Saturday.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
BCS people just want to make money, they could just have the winner of the 4 bowl games play each other, that's 2 extra games. Or they can get rid of 2 and have the winner of say the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl meet for the national title, 1 extra game. ^ Yes it's exciting all season, but the other sports have taught us the "best" team sometimes isn't. You have an underdog come in like the Rockies and whoop everyone when it matters. Who knows, Boise State could have been national champs or someone else that will be shunned from the BCS title game.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

BCS people just want to make money, they could just have the winner of the 4 bowl games play each other, that's 2 extra games. Or they can get rid of 2 and have the winner of say the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl meet for the national title, 1 extra game. ^ Yes it's exciting all season, but the other sports have taught us the "best" team sometimes isn't. You have an underdog come in like the Rockies and whoop everyone when it matters. Who knows, Boise State could have been national champs or someone else that will be shunned from the BCS title game. X360PS3AMD05

That's true. I still remember the Cardinals, far from the best team in 2006.

N15PCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N15PCA
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts

I would love a playoff system in college Football. This is how it should go. 32 team field. First place teams in each conf. get in automatically and then the rest of the team get in on RPI like they do in College Basketball. You have two number one seeds. A west and east bracket. The games start week after Thanksgiving and all the games are played at all the bowl games so that way all the bowl games well mean something. Double the BCS bowl games so that way all the quarter final, Semi final and Champiship games well happen in Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowl. You could play the first round game on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That would be four games a day. Then you have the second round games on Friday and Saturday. The third round games will be on Friday and Saturday. Fourth round would happen on Saturday. Then you have two week off in till the final game on Saturday and it can happen around middle of January.

You think college Football is king of sports here in United States now. Just do this and it well be king of sports in the good old U S of A. A network would make so much money off of this it's not even funny.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
No, that's insane, these are 20 yr. old kids they're not going to play an additional 32 team tournament.
N15PCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N15PCA

What's insane X360PS3AMD05 is that we have a system that doesn't work in college Football and when it dose work it only works once every three years i.e. like USC VS Texas. I tired of always saying Ohio State VS. Florida were in the Championship game but what about Boise state. As I recall they were the only team that didn't lose last year and don't give me their were in a week conf. either. Having a prefect record is having prefect record period end of story.

The players can play another 5 games also. Just get rid of all the stupid Big 12, Sec, MWC Championship type game at the end of the year. Which by the way destroyed more team chances to play the National Championship than it help and they do it for money anyways. So why not like make money on playoff system. At least that way well know who the real Champ is that end of the year. Another added bonus to this is that more team in regular season might take more chances and play teams that might lose to because one lost won't cost them the season.

27 post season winners in College Football the way it is now!!! What the heck is this preschool garage. College Football should be like it is in every other sport in the United State. One winner and hole bunch of losers.

If that had the stupid system in College Basketball my favorite team wouldn't even won it only National Championship in 97. That team being the Arizona Wildcats. Their were the four seed that year.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

Now that I think about it, college football is exciting and more important when every game matters and with a playoff system, it kind of would ruin the game and just be like the NFL...all college football is missing is a little something at the end of the season.Big_O2006
I agree. None of these regular season games would even matter with a playoff. They are much more exciting right now. No playoff system, but they should also get rid of the BCS. It should go back to the way it was for the first 100 years. Play the bowl games, then everybody votes on a NC. Controversial? Yes. But much better and more exciting for everyone than only 2 teams playing games that matter at the end of the year.

Also, why no poll?

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
I'm more for a plus 1 game. So a team like Boise could win it, but that in itself is flawed. They play a lower level of competition than anyone else, sure it's easy to show up for one game, but to have to go through the rigourous schedule of playing tough teams 8 weeks in a season (just look at LSU's past three weeks, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, Boise coudn't handle that, heck I don't think they could handle OSU's ending schedule).
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 geaux321

What's insane X360PS3AMD05 is that we have a system that doesn't work in college Football and when it dose work it only works once every three years i.e. like USC VS Texas. I tired of always saying Ohio State VS. Florida were in the Championship game but what about Boise state. As I recall they were the only team that didn't lose last year and don't give me their were in a week conf. either. Having a prefect record is having prefect record period end of story.

The players can play another 5 games also. Just get rid of all the stupid Big 12, Sec, MWC Championship type game at the end of the year. Which by the way destroyed more team chances to play the National Championship than it help and they do it for money anyways. So why not like make money on playoff system. At least that way well know who the real Champ is that end of the year. Another added bonus to this is that more team in regular season might take more chances and play teams that might lose to because one lost won't cost them the season.

N15PCA

I'm going to use the weak conference schedule, come on. Florida and Ohio St. would easily go undefeated with that schedule. Boise would have had at least 5 loses if they played Florida's schedule last year (and I'm being generous).

As for the fact of getting rid of the conference championship games, you have to be crazy. I can't stand those conferences that don't have them (get to 12 teams and add one). You don't know who's the best in the conference, just look at Iowa this year, what if they went undefeated in Big 10 play, they don't have to play Ohio St. or Michigan, and you want me to believe they are the best from the Big 10, no way. Having the conference championship game just solidifies how good a team you really are.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 murlow12

As for the fact of getting rid of the conference championship games, you have to be crazy. I can't stand those conferences that don't have them (get to 12 teams and add one). You don't know who's the best in the conference, just look at Iowa this year, what if they went undefeated in Big 10 play, they don't have to play Ohio St. or Michigan, and you want me to believe they are the best from the Big 10, no way. Having the conference championship game just solidifies how good a team you really are.
geaux321

Therein lies the problem. Those crazy conferences like the Big Ten that actually have more than 10 teams need a championship game b/c they don't play everyone in the conference. However, the PAC 10 actually has 10 teams like the name suggests (imagine that), so EVERY team plays EVERY OTHER TEAM. USC plays Cal, Oregon, ASU, and UCLA. There is no question who the best in the conference is when they all play each other. There is no problem as long as it is a true round robin schedule.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 geaux321

[QUOTE="geaux321"]As for the fact of getting rid of the conference championship games, you have to be crazy. I can't stand those conferences that don't have them (get to 12 teams and add one). You don't know who's the best in the conference, just look at Iowa this year, what if they went undefeated in Big 10 play, they don't have to play Ohio St. or Michigan, and you want me to believe they are the best from the Big 10, no way. Having the conference championship game just solidifies how good a team you really are.
murlow12

Therein lies the problem. Those crazy conferences like the Big Ten that actually have more than 10 teams need a championship game b/c they don't play everyone in the conference. However, the PAC 10 actually has 10 teams like the name suggests (imagine that), so EVERY team plays EVERY OTHER TEAM. USC plays Cal, Oregon, ASU, and UCLA. There is no question who the best in the conference is when they all play each other. There is no problem as long as it is a true round robin schedule.

This is true, so my problem is just with the Big 10, it's just one more team.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Yeah they need a playoff. Not having a playoff is why I don't pay much attention except to the conference my team plays in. It's a lot of yaking about who is the best and really nobody has a clue.
d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts
Yes, with so much parity today you almost have to. Times are diferent. Teams, schedules, schools, everything. I will not watch if Ohio St. plays in the National Championship again w/ their patty-cake schedule and frail Big 10.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 murlow12
Yes, with so much parity today you almost have to. Times are diferent. Teams, schedules, schools, everything. I will not watch if Ohio St. plays in the National Championship again w/ their patty-cake schedule and frail Big 10.d12malu
I appreciate your convictions, but the ratings won't suffer much. Nobody who plays, it's still the National Championship and America will watch.
N15PCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N15PCA

That's why you should play everyone in your conf. We do that in the Pac-10 and if your conf.dosen't need a championship game at the end of the conf. season. so if your conf. is to big then I don't what to tell you. We also don't know if Boise State wouldn't have prefect record in the Sec, big 12, Big 10 last year. Just because their in a smaller conf. doesn't mean that can't play. Ask OU about Boise State.

The plus one game is ok idea, but the end the powers that be in college Football are inching very so close to a playoff. Their just doing it ever so slowly.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 geaux321

We also don't know if Boise State wouldn't have prefect record in the Sec, big 12, Big 10 last year. Just because their in a smaller conf. doesn't mean that can't play. Ask OU about Boise State.

N15PCA

Like I said before, it's easy to show up for one game and win (ask Stanford or Appalachain State). But to go up against 3 or 4 teams like Oklahoma and it starts to wear on you and suddenly those easy games, turn into much harder ones. Boise didn't even play one ranked team all season until they played Oklahoma, I still don't think they deserved that spot in the Fiesta Bowl.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
A playoff system would be nice, but it won't happen any time soon. I like the idea of rank 1 vs. rank 4 and rank 2 vs rank 3 to determinte who plays in the National Championship.
fudger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 fudger2
Member since 2004 • 2315 Posts
I know it sounds dumb but i want there to be like a tournament or something between all the conference champs. Im tired of people sayin sec is the best even though it probably is.
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
No I don't think that would be a good idea.