Pau Gasol for Kevin Love+. good deal/bad deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mont13
Member since 2006 • 1468 Posts

It may not happen but this rumor was discussed on PTI today...Pau Gasol to Minnesota for Kevin Love and the 2nd draft pick in 2012, possibly getting Derrick Williams. Darko M. was mentioned also in the deal.

As the Laker GM would any of you pull the trigger on this deal?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20184

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

lol no.

David Kahn on the otherhand............wouldnt put it past him.

mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mont13

I meant to ask (and added) "As the Lakers GM" would you make the deal? I would ...in a split second! Mike Wilbon agreed, Tony Kornheoser wasn't so sure.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

ide pull it, love goes hard every night.....gasol, meh......but im bias for players who play more of a physical no flash type of game...but if i was la ide do it

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Wait... why would Minnesota have to send a draft pick in addition to Love? Shouldn't it be Los Angeles sending a draft pick along with Gasol?

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

Kevin Love (22) AND Derrick Williams (20) for Gasol (30) defiantly, especially with Gasol's last playoff performance.

mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mont13

Wait... why would Minnesota have to send a draft pick in addition to Love? Shouldn't it be Los Angeles sending a draft pick along with Gasol?

Oleg_Huzwog

Agreed, I'd do it straight up. Would even throw in a couple of L.A. bench riders and a large fry!

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
No. Kevin Love is one of the worst defenders in the league and has absolutely no post game. This would be an overreaction by the Lakers of gettng beat in the playoffs. Gasol is 30, not 36 for Christ's sake.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18837 Posts
Its a good deal for lakers if their thinking about the future. Bad dead for minnesota is aging. The wolves could build around Rubio and Love.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Halftime-
I can't believe this is even being discussed. Kevin Love can't defend Stephen Hawking
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I think it's a bad trade for both teams. Love's stats are inflated since he plays with a crappy team and even if the T-Wolves get Gasol they're not going anywhere with him.
juggernaut1526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 juggernaut1526
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I agree that Kevin Love is a good player but he is a liability on defense and having played on a team with no shot of making the playoffs I feel that he became more interested in boosting his own stats rather than trying to win games (clearly bc the wolves were so bad that winning wasnt likely) Pau Gasol is a perfect complimentary player to Kobe Bryant and if they can develop andrew bynum further then they definately wont need Love...he has a bright future though and hopefully he can go to another team with a better suporting cast (PACERS MAYBE?!) i can only hope haha
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
This would be a great deal for LA in the longterm. Gasol's still not too old, but he's getting there while Love's much younger and has a lot of room for improvement. Add in the draft pick as a bonus, and it's pretty nice for an aging Lakers team.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts
No. Kevin Love is one of the worst defenders in the league and has absolutely no post game. This would be an overreaction by the Lakers of gettng beat in the playoffs. Gasol is 30, not 36 for Christ's sake.-Halftime-
This, Gasol has been less than impressive this past season, but Kevin Love is badly overrated. He can rebound well, that's obvious, but he wouldn't have so many touches on the offensive end with any decent team. In other words : stats are inflated on horrible teams and don't mean ****. Put Dwight Howard with the Wolves and he'd get 35-20 a night.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"]Its a good deal for lakers if their thinking about the future. Bad dead for minnesota is aging.

I can see Minnesota wanting to get Gasol in there for Rubio as the two were teammates on the Spanish national team and maybe Gasol would be a good NBA mentor.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
A physical guy over Gasofty? Sure where do we sign?
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

A physical guy over Gasofty? Sure where do we sign?X360PS3AMD05
a guy who plays no defense and will probably never be a force in the playoffs over a guy who has a better offensive game, better defense and has proven himself in the playoffs. where do I veto?

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Gasol is far better than Love. It would take Love, two first round picks, and then some.

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
Lol why do any of you think this is a good deal??? Gasol beats out Love in every category expect 3pt shooting lol ! Rebounding - Gasol, passing - Gasol, post up game - Gasol by a lot, defense - gasol by a lot, face up game - Love because he's a knockdown 3pt shooter. DAMN I WANT THIS DEAL TO HAPPEN !!!
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X360PS3AMD05
What they should be doing is looking at trades for Kobe, it's all downhill from here. Do they want to suffer just to have a guy retire wearing your jersey?
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TaCoDuDe

What they should be doing is looking at trades for Kobe, it's all downhill from here. Do they want to suffer just to have a guy retire wearing your jersey?X360PS3AMD05

It's not like he's a liability...not even close.

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 M_1_A_M_I
What they should be doing is looking at trades for Kobe, it's all downhill from here. Do they want to suffer just to have a guy retire wearing your jersey?X360PS3AMD05
They're still title contenders so idk why you want them to take apart the whole team.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
Kobe's the heart of the Lakers, without him their entire chemistry would fall apart.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18837 Posts
I think it's a bad trade for both teams. Love's stats are inflated since he plays with a crappy team and even if the T-Wolves get Gasol they're not going anywhere with him. JML897
Thats a unfair statement. Its not he's only one available when his team shoots bricks.
mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mont13

Ok, you guys are starting to convince me to not be so quick to trade Pau for Love. Haven't really seen enough of Love's defense and post game (or lack thereof) and really didn't consider those aspects(slippin in my old age:D). I'm still disgusted with Pau's hissy fit (or whatever it was) in the playoffs that I'm too anxious to get rid of him for someone who does seem to play with heart and hustle much more often, as I've said before, that goes along way with me, especially in a big man.

However, just for laughs and giggles I'll try to go out with my guns blazing.

Yes, I agree Love's stats are probably inflated being on a bad team, but his stats, this season (except for blks), are comparable and significantly better in rbs to any season Pau had when he was on a bad team... his first 7 years in Memphis. During that time Pau's best ppg was 20.8, Love's this season is 20.2. Pau's highest rbs avg was 9.8 in Memphis, Love's this season is 15.2. Love can and does shoot the 3pt'er, taking 211 and hitting 41.7% of them, Pau has never taken more than 16 in any season and shoots 22.4% for his career on 3pt'ers. I know, who cares if a big man can shoot 3's? I only mention this because even though Love takes more 3pt'ers he still gets more offensive rbs than Pau does now, or did in Memphis...hustle?? Love is the better free throw shooter also.

Defense? Pau gets more blocks for sure, but I definitely don't view him as a defensive player. The blocks count for something for sure, but Love's greater ability to block out and get the rb does too. Is Pau really that much better than Love on total defense? If so, Love must be as horrible as some have said.

Post-up game? Pau's is better period. Maybe Love will develope in that area, but isn't Love better at getting the ball back up and finishing around the basket in a crowd with his more physical play?

Ok, I tried. .....Yeah, overall I agree that Pau is too seasoned and polished at this point to trade for Love but if Pau pulls another stunt like in this past seasons playoffs, I'm done with him....I'll take K. Love.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Halftime-
Yes, Pau really is that much better defensively than Kevin Love. Kevin Love is one of the ten worst defensive players in basketball....
mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mont13

Yes, Pau really is that much better defensively than Kevin Love. Kevin Love is one of the ten worst defensive players in basketball....-Halftime-

Ok, if Love makes Pau look decent on D he must be horrible:lol:

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 M_1_A_M_I
Yes, Pau really is that much better defensively than Kevin Love. Kevin Love is one of the ten worst defensive players in basketball....-Halftime-
Yea blocks per game don't make a good defender. If bpg and spg make good defenders Javelle Mcgee and Monta Ellis would all NBA first team defense members.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
that would make absolutely no sense. Kobe was not problem this year with the Lakers. The problem is at the PG position where Derek Fisher is. The guy although great for us in past years has just simply ran out of gas now. The bench for the Lakers as well was pretty pathetic. Gasol will bounce back this year and I think the Lakers still have 2 more years left with Kobe as title contenders
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 X360PS3AMD05
Well i'm someone who doesn't buy "heart" or "chemistry" just talent, and a guy with that mileage will be deteriorating soon, as they say you trade a guy too soon to get a big return instead of too late and get squat. If there's a hard cap the Lakers won't be able to spend their way back to the top.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Funny, for all the junk said about Love in this thread; advance statistics say he ain't that crappy.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Halftime-
Funny, for all the junk said about Love in this thread; advance statistics say he ain't that crappy. Master_Live
He's anything but crappy. But let's not ignore the facts that he's an abysmal defensive player and has absolutely no post game. And people talk about the Lakers doing this to make them more athletic? Have you guys seen Kevin Love play? Pau is so much more athletic and runs the floor way better than Love does.
mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mont13

[QUOTE...... The problem is at the PG position where Derek Fisher is. The guy although great for us in past years has just simply ran out of gas now. The bench for the Lakers as well was pretty pathetic. Gasol will bounce back this year and I think the Lakers still have 2 more years left with Kobe as title contenders

This, Pau, and this person's reasons http://romeoigromo.blogspot.com/2011/05/real-reasons-why-lakers-didnt-threepeat.html pretty much sum up for me why the Lakers lost.

pokefan_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 pokefan_10
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts

It's good if you're a Lakers fan. Can't say the same for Minnesota. If the T-Wolves are focused on winning then they shouldn't go for it.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I don't understand the people who dismiss Love's production just because he's on a crappy team. 15 rebounds is 15 rebounds. Other than Love, how many guys in the last 30 years have averaged 15 rebounds over a season? Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, and... I dunno... is that it? 2 Hall of Famers and a 4 time Defensive Player of the Year? That's not something you can just go "pfft, whatever".

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TaCoDuDe

It's good if you're a Lakers fan. Can't say the same for Minnesota. If the T-Wolves are focused on winning then they shouldn't go for it.

pokefan_10

How is this a good trade for the Lakers?

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BaraChat

Advance statistics don't mean **** if your team doesn't win in the end. LeBron James has led the league in PER for 4 straight seasons now, yet he went to the Finals once and played s***** when it mattered the most. Do you think a guy who has no playoffs experience can be better than arguably the best player on last year's championship team, (Pau played better than Kobe most of the series last season) a player who was actually second to LeBron in win shares (advanced stats :o just for you, Master_Live) last season, a guy who made 4 All-Stars and 3 All-NBA teams?

Stop kidding yourself with "advanced statistics", there's just no way in hell Kevin Love is worth even half of Pau Gasol.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

a player who was actually second to LeBron in win shares last season, a guy who made 4 All-Stars and 3 All-NBA teams?

Stop kidding yourself with "advanced statistics", there's just no way in hell Kevin Love is worth even half of Pau Gasol.

BaraChat

Gotta love the irony, says advance statistics "don't mean ****" but uses them to argue in his favor saying "a player who was actually second to LeBron in win shares last season". Win shares is an advance statistic you genius. Shut up, and get out.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BaraChat

[QUOTE="BaraChat"]

a player who was actually second to LeBron in win shares last season, a guy who made 4 All-Stars and 3 All-NBA teams?

Master_Live

Gotta love the irony, says advance statistics "don't mean ****" but uses them to argue in his favor saying "a player who was actually second to LeBron in win shares last season". Win shares is an advance statistic you genius. Shut up, and get out.

Well weren't you the one advocating advanced stats and now you're mad because I used them to further prove my point? :lol: Irony he said...

And I proved my point with AND without advanced stats, so there.