NLDS: Atlanta Braves vs. Los Angeles Dodgers. Kershaw to start on 3 days rest.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/which-sport-reigns-supreme-in-each-major-league-city/ Which sport reigns supreme in each city?Master_Live

Chicago is football > basketball > hockey > baseball

Even if the Cubs were good?

Well, for the past 5 years what I said is definitely right. There's a ton of excitement in the city for the Blackhawks right now.
If you were to ask me in 2003 when Kerry Wood/Mark Prior were doing their thing I'd probably say football > baseball > basketball > hockey. That was also a time when the Bulls were still going through their post-Jordan terribleness and the Blackhawks were owned by Bill Wirtz which made excitement for hockey hard since the Blackhawks were never on TV.

The Bears will always be #1 though

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Boston: Baseball>Football>Basketball>Hockey

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Toronto: Hockey>>>>>>Baseball>Basketball>CFL Football

Baseball has seen a large increase in support here over the past couple of years though, with the likes of Lawrie (Canadian) and Bautista, and only expected to get more popular now. 

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, that sucks. We need Grandy healthy right away.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

One Brewer, probably because we traded so many of our prospects.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Master_Live

Suddenly DH's don't seem like such a bad idea, huh?

Even if the Cubs were good? Master_Live

Don't even get me started on that.  This city can go straight to hell when it comes to baseball.  The Sox make a run at the division and don't let go of first place until the last month of the season, they're lucky to get half the stadium full.  The Cubs are the worst team in the league and they still pull in decent gate numbers, smfh.  Baseball in this town is basically a bunch of yuppy northsiders getting drunk at Wrigley.  I guess Soldier isn't all that different, but the Bears are at least halfway decent most years and there's not a second team that's way more competitive than them.

As to what JML said, hockey and basketball usually compete for number two.  Hockey was big back when we won the cup, but we've hit a bump since then and the Bulls have been good in the meantime.  I think there's a little less interest in basketball now that Rose is injured and seeing as how we can never seem to get a second superstar that can let us compete with Miami in the playoffs.  Hockey has actually seemed a bit down to me this year, which is surprising given our start (but then again the strike might have something to do with that), but I haven't been back to the city since the season started so perhaps I'm wrong.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#57 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]

theone86

Am I missing something here? DH for an outfielder?

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Cubs fans make me forever hate that team. "WAHHHH WAHHH WE SUCK CRY CRY CRY WAHHHH WAHHH WAHH" Almost as bad as Red Sox fans pre 2004. Obnoxious.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Master_Live
Baseball Prospectus Top 100 prospect list Profar is consensus #1
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]

Namgis

Am I missing something here? DH for an outfielder?

I was spazzing that day, disregard.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Just in case anyone is interested in having yet another reason to call Alex Rodriguez a giant douche, there's a report circulating that his charity organization, the "A-Rod Family Foundation", has only distributed 1% of proceeds.  The IRS has also stripped the organization of its tax-exempt status.

Link

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#62 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Just in case anyone is interested in having yet another reason to call Alex Rodriguez a giant douche, there's a report circulating that his charity organization, the "A-Rod Family Foundation", has only distributed 1% of proceeds.  The IRS has also stripped the organization of its tax-exempt status.

Link

Oleg_Huzwog

There are a list of necessary things a Seattle sports fan must do at some point. One was to boo Josh Brown when he came to Seattle every year with the Rams (I have done this). The other is throwing Monopoly money at A-Rod when he comes to Seattle. I have yet to accomplish this.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Worst moves of the offseason? http://mlb.sbnation.com/2013/2/27/4034016/10-worst-moves-of-the-offseason Prince Fielder is in mid-season bat flip form http://www.mlbgifs.com/2013/02/prince-fielder-brutalized-brandon-morrow-yesterday-and-is-in-mid-season-bat-flip-form/ Don't worry the sausage has been found! http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8995605/milwaukee-brewers-missing-italian-sausage-costume-found
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Master_Live
WBC is so full of BS. Cuba sooooo should be playing here but because they won't allow it. With Cuba/PR/DR/Venezuela this place would explode.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Master_Live

As for the winner I will go with Puerto Rico...not but really, I will go with 2 time champ Japan.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 X360PS3AMD05
Kinda weird, why not put Korea and Taipei in Pool A, put Cuba in Pool C taking out Spain and putting them in pool B, put Brazil in Pool D taking out Italy and putting them in B...............no?
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Master_Live
Because it is much easier to defect on Puerto Rico than in Japan.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Oleg_Huzwog

Mariners have won 10 in a row.  I don't care that it's Spring Training.  Shut up.  Let me enjoy this.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Master_Live
Teixeira out 8-10 weeks *inhales peace, exhales anxiety, inhales peace, exhales anxiety*
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Namgis

Teixeira out 8-10 weeks *inhales peace, exhales anxiety, inhales peace, exhales anxiety*Master_Live

Isn't the normal time frame for Tex to start a season anyways? He doesn't get hot for a good long while. Yuk's going to earn his keep early. Just hope Tex is smokin' down the stretch.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Teixeira out 8-10 weeks *inhales peace, exhales anxiety, inhales peace, exhales anxiety*

Jays play 10 games vs NY with no ARod, Tex or Granderson. Important to take advantage of it. Lawrie out of the WBC with a mild strain. miss 2-3 weeks, maybe less.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Master_Live
Nice play by Scutaro, but Dominicana is killing Anibal Sanchez early. Cano better not get injured.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Namgis

Cano better not get injured. Master_Live

I hope you knocked on wood. Don't need to jinx them any more. Playing without 8 of their top 10 HR hitters is bad enough.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Master_Live

Tickets to World Baseball Classic PR vs Venezuela.

Got two ticket for tomorrow's game between PR and Venezuela. Bleachers, 13 bucks each. Lets see if I can get under Miguel Cabrera's skin :D

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Namgis

Got two ticket for tomorrow's game between PR and Venezuela. Bleachers, 13 bucks each. Lets see if I can get under Miguel Cabrera's skin :D

Master_Live

Nice score!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiigggeeeeeee!

tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

What a pathetic performance by Team USA so far.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

Actually i'm not sure what's more sad.  Team USA's performance on the field or their support in the stands.  I know Phoenix is a huge hotbed for immigrants and first-generation Americans, but there's no excuse for what we're seeing tonight

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 X360PS3AMD05
For shame for shame...........Is Mexico the first team to do something like this at the WBC? I see this macho crap firsthand around here and i hate to see it end up in the WBC, and in Arizona of all places!! The place where they are already tired of Mexicans. I'm surprised the Canadian hitter didn't take a whack at the catcher after he pushed him him. This all happens because parents don't know how to raise their kids right, with all the classless crap that happens at soccer games in Mexico i can't say i'm surprised. I wonder where A-Gon and Cochito were in that scrum :lol:
I'm gonna be looking for Master_Live in the stands :P
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Actually i'm not sure what's more sad.  Team USA's performance on the field or their support in the stands.  I know Phoenix is a huge hotbed for immigrants and first-generation Americans, but there's no excuse for what we're seeing tonight

Boston_Boyy
The excuse is that American fans are more interested in their actual teams instead of some World Cup wannabe that doesn't even involve the best players
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 -Halftime-
That brawl was shameful, but what is even more shameful is the blatant racism I'm seeing on the ESPN comments about the game, from all sides. Absolutely disgusting and childish behavior.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Master_Live

Awesome game tonight, lots of energy in the stands :D

I'm gonna be looking for Master_Live in the stands :PX360PS3AMD05

Hehe, I got a great spot, practically looking straight at the plate. Haven't seem the Mexico/Canada video yet, sounds crazy.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Master_Live

Well I saw what happened. Canada bunted for a hit with a 6 run lead on the ninth because of the run differential rules in place and Mexico wasn't having any of it. Rules are rules, Canada was doing what they must to advance and until the rules are changed Mexico needs to keep their emotion in check.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

That brawl was shameful, but what is even more shameful is the blatant racism I'm seeing on the ESPN comments about the game, from all sides. Absolutely disgusting and childish behavior.-Halftime-

:lol: You must have never entered any of the soccer articles on there. They are pretty pathetic. I read them for laughs, would never post on espn. Most racist sport site ive seen, people are dumb.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Put_in_Kitna

Personally think Canadians should be banned from any sport not named Hockey. 

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 X360PS3AMD05
So it turns out Luis Cruz not only told the pitcher to throw at the guy but he was the first one to throw a punch *facepalm* Thank goodness Larry Walker had enough sense to pull A-Gon away from there. Then afterword they take to the twitter and pretend like it was nothing, with no punishments i guess it is nothing?? Nice one WBC I just found this about a 2001 comeback by the Indians losing 14-2 http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/34817 See this game doesn't have a clock, + with run differentials coming into play there's definitely nobody trying to "show you up". As has been said if you have a problem with it then play better, don't bean somebody. Heck the score wasn't even that bad compared to some of the other games called by the mercy rule...I heard some announcers and radio people have actually been defending it and said "The WBC needs to change the tie breaking process" :roll: A bean for a bean i can understand but a bunt? Then you should get more mad over a guy hitting a HR when they have a big lead, that's more embarrassing than a silly bunt, which sometimes they don't even make anything out of the inning with those stupid bunts :lol: Good thing David Wright was batting where he was otherwise it would have more bunting gone wrong..........and that was the case for Cuba, their coach is a total clown i'm glad they got bounced.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Oleg_Huzwog

The Yankees have been talking with Derrek Lee, Scott Rolen, and Chipper Jones... all of whom are retired.  You mean to tell me they have zero  prospects worthy of a roster spot for a few months while regular starters are healing?  They'd rather try to sign a retiree?  Is their farm system really that bad?

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 JohnBean42

The Yankees have been talking with Derrek Lee, Scott Rolen, and Chipper Jones... all of whom are retired.  You mean to tell me they have zero  prospects worthy of a roster spot for a few months while regular starters are healing?  They'd rather try to sign a retiree?  Is their farm system really that bad?

Oleg_Huzwog
Either that bad or just not close at all to making any kind of impact. DBacks want to trade John MacDonald...I expect the Yankees will be interested in him. They know a lot about him after facing him when he was a Jay.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Master_Live

The Chipper thing was a joke...literally.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Master_Live
Ortiz won't be read for Opening DayGreinke has inflammation on his elbow.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Master_Live
I swear, Braun's bat has to be one of the longest in the majors.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Oleg_Huzwog

It doesn't bother me that people want us to spend more money.  It's not their money.  This is a private company, even though it's got a public flair to it.  If they want to write a check for 10 million bucks, they can give me a call.Astros owner Jim Crane

He essentially told Houston fans to go f*** themselves.

Link

Even if they're trying to do things the right way (restock the farm, build from within), you're not supposed to make statements like that.  That's the kind of quote that needlessly alienates the people who buy your tickets and merchandise.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Master_Live

[quote="Astros owner Jim Crane"]It doesn't bother me that people want us to spend more money.  It's not their money.  This is a private company, even though it's got a public flair to it.  If they want to write a check for 10 million bucks, they can give me a call.Oleg_Huzwog

Link

Even if they're trying to do things the right way (restock the farm, build from within), you're not supposed to make statements like that.  That's the kind of quote that needlessly alienates the people who buy your tickets and merchandise.

Completely agree. They are building the right way and the quote is totally unnecessary. I see an "apology" to the fans coming soon.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 -Halftime-

[quote="Astros owner Jim Crane"]It doesn't bother me that people want us to spend more money.  It's not their money.  This is a private company, even though it's got a public flair to it.  If they want to write a check for 10 million bucks, they can give me a call.Oleg_Huzwog

Link

What a moron
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Master_Live
Nice win by PR, I could see us beating Netherlands.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 X360PS3AMD05
3 things: Erick BLEEPING Aybar! Why is old man J-Roll trying to steal bases? Freakin Umpire calls out Adam Jones on a ball out of the zone for the second straight game! Eres Perro!
I swear, Braun's bat has to be one of the longest in the majors. Master_Live
I hear it's 35'' and i'm sure a nice bit of weight to it, he makes it seem like a toothpick in his hands
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Put_in_Kitna

Nice win by PR, I could see us beating Netherlands. Master_Live

Where you born in Puerto Rico?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Master_Live
PR is facing Japan not the Netherlands, that will be tough.

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Nice win by PR, I could see us beating Netherlands. Put_in_Kitna

Where you born in Puerto Rico?

Yes.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Master_Live
Congrats to the Dominicans on their win, 3-0 against PR, so no point in arguing. Proud of my squad, and now lets get ready for the MLB season to start.