NFL: Eagles = Superbowl Contender/Pretender?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AreYouFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AreYouFried
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

With the addition of Nnamdi Asomugha, the Eagles defense is looking top-notch. I can't think of a QB/WR combo that can avoid Samuel, Cromartie & Asomugha. I personally think Michael Vick will be in top 5 QB's this season . Any thoughts?

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I sure hope so. We'll have to see if Vick can stay healthy, though I like VY as a backup. They should be favorites to win the East and definitely project to be one of the better teams in the NFC, but stuff on paper doesn't mean anything.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Eagles have never won the Super Bowl, therefor they suck and never will win.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts

They already were. And they're that much more so now.

deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deuce4eva
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Ok first off Samuel is likely to get traded i dont think we can afford 3 pro bowl CBs that pay big money. We stil need Desean Jackson which most people are ignoring that he is on a holdout. We have been contenders pretty much every year of the decade. Even if we didn't sign asomugha which i was really hope we got we are still contenders.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

Possibly. But lets remember that they usually fail in the playoffs. What was it 5 NFC championship game and only one trip the to the superbowl? Anything is possible though.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Sure they're a contender, but there are a lot of Superbowl contenders right now. The NFL season's always full of surprises.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

contender 8) they have made good moves so far :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

Eagles have never won the Super Bowl, therefor they suck and never will win. Master_Live

can't see any holes in that statement

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
i dont have faith in vick...there i said it
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
i dont have faith in vick...there i said itmems_1224
I'm not sold yet either. It was only one year. However, if he can stay healthy and repeat what he did last year, contenders for sure.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

No, I don't think they're contenders (well ok, there is a chance, just not a big one IMO), and here's why.

Let's start with Vick. He really hasn't proved anything yet other than he'll be getting older and more injury prone. It's obvious he won't change how he plays, and that's understandable since he's always played that way and has basically been praised for it. Once he gets hurt he really reverts back to his old ways of looking for one receiver (in this case DJ) and if he isn't open Vick'll try to run. His amount of fumbled balls is rather high and he started racking up the overturns towards the end of last season. Plus, when he gets hurt this season (face it, he probably will) we have Vince Young to look forward to, so make of that what you will. I'm not going to sit here and say Kolb was the answer, but I don't see Vick as that person either. Ok, there's my thoughts on Vick.

As for receivers my only real worry is them all staying healthy. Their two main receivers are pretty small so it would be nice to have a bigger receiver able to come in here and there as a relief player just as a way to try and prevent injuries. DJ needs to stop returning punts, which the Eagles probably know since they were saying today how some of the guys they picked up also have experience returning punts. Really, as long as the Eagles can pick up a few extra receivers in case of injury then there's really not much to worry about in this department.

Idk how they're doing picking up guys on the O-line and D-line so I can't comment, but I do believe they got someone to add to the D-line so that's good. Speaking of defense, I'm hoping this new defensive coordinator doesn't end up a major disappointment. The Eagles can get the best players, but without a proper coach who knows how it'll turn out.

It is nice to see they have basically the top corners in the NFL, but that doesn't mean the team will be amazing. Granted, being a life time Eagles fan I hope everything works for them (and I imagine the season will be rather good for them), but until I see results I'll still be skeptical. The big thing now is will the offense do a better job against defenses than last year. Once the Eagles played the Bears every team basically caught on to Vick and since then he wasn't able to be very productive (just look at their performance against the Vikings and Joe Webb).

Here's to hoping the Eagles can surprise me this year.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

Ok first off Samuel is likely to get traded i dont think we can afford 3 pro bowl CBs that pay big money. We stil need Desean Jackson which most people are ignoring that he is on a holdout. We have been contenders pretty much every year of the decade. Even if we didn't sign asomugha which i was really hope we got we are still contenders.

deuce4eva
DRC makes like 1 mill this season.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 No_Hablo_Ingles
I can not see how the Eagles can be pretenders... not this year. The Eagles offense.... is amazing. With DeSean Jackson they are nearly unstoppable with enough protection (redskins game). Whether Vick reverts back to Vick 1.0 or not (probably not) is irrelevant. Vick 1.0 was a 3 time probowler who got a terrible ATL team who's best offensive player after him was Alge Crumpler or Warrick Dunn to the NFC championship. Vick makes average offenses good; good offenses great; and great offenses unbelievably great. Do people realize that if Vick played all 16 games last year he would of had over 4,800 total yards and 40 touchdowns? Do people realize that a team that created the "blue print" to beating him (Giants) lost to the Eagles both times? If Vick plays like he did last year, and Howard Mudd (Peyton's old O-line coach) gets him protection, every defensive coordinator will develop insomnia when playing a Vick lead Eagles team. There have been reports of Asante getting traded.... I hope that isn't the case. ASO and Asante is more dangerous then Revis and ASO. ASO is the closest thing we have to a true shut down corner. Asante is the second best ball hawk in the NFL right now (Ed Reed is #1). When your top 2 options are throwing to a receiver who is going against a DB who has allowed 1 TD in the last two years, and gives up the fewest amount of YAC for the last 3 years and throwing to a corner that has the most pick-6's in the last couple years.... you might want to look at your third option, oh wait, he's covered by a Pro bowl CB as well (if they keep Asante). Oh and the Eagles aren't like the Jets, they can get sacks without blitzing. Trent Cole is a beast and adding Babin with the best D-line coach in the NFL... scary. Linebackers are underwhelming... and so is their FS and SS... and I have no clue wtf the D-cor is going to do. Now, I'm not saying that the Eagles should buy their tickets to Indy, but to call them pretenders when they went head to head with the eventual SB champs in the first round is insane. Ask Packer fans who they are most worried about in the NFC and I doubt any would say "the bears," "the Falcons," etc.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
lol Egals pretenders as always, i still don't buy Vick either.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

its simple. Vick has to stay healthy and they need to keep Jackson happy. If they can then yes. Also most likely Samuel is going bye bye. And yes, Samuel does matter.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts

They were contenders last year so I don't see why they wouldn't be considered contenders this year.

However, I think people really exaggerate the significance of adding a player to a team.

And as mentioned above, Samuel will be gone.

Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darth_Revan_666

They were contenders last year so I don't see why they wouldn't be considered contenders this year.

However, I think people really exaggerate the significance of adding a player to a team.

Chutebox

They're not simply adding ''a player''. Its the best shutdown corner in the league. It opens a lot of additionnal blitzing opportunities when you have Asomugha on your team. And Rodgers-Cromartie can be left on an island too. Especially if you consider he'll only have to deal with the 2nd best WR on the opposing team. Which wasnt the case for him in Arizona.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
ASO and Asante is more dangerous then Revis and ASO. .No_Hablo_Ingles
I couldnt help it, I had to disagree here :( . Asante is more of a gambler than anything else and occasionally gets burned because hes trying to pick the ball. So how does that make this combo better than what could of been with the JETS? Revis and Aso > Aso and Asante. And the JETS had more sacks not blitzing than blitzing last year. Also, I thought you were a Patriots fan, so now you are both or did I miss something?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Darth_Revan_666

They're not simply adding ''a player''. Its the best shutdown corner in the league. It opens a lot of additionnal blitzing opportunities when you have Asomugha on your team. And Rodgers-Cromartie can be left on an island too. Especially if you consider he'll only have to deal with the 2nd best WR on the opposing team. Which wasnt the case for him in Arizona.

There is more to the field than just where they are playing. Spread offense would work well with teams that have enough receivers to play. It's a big addition, no doubt, but I know that it won't make that much of a difference as offenses will find ways around it.
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darth_Revan_666

LOL I guess having a secondary is not important then. Just ask the Falcons.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox

Darth_Revan_666
Good thing I didn't say that....
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 No_Hablo_Ingles

Also, I thought you were a Patriots fan, so now you are both or did I miss something?Fuhgeddabouditt
well, more then just now for the last years actually... but yeah.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] ASO and Asante is more dangerous then Revis and ASO. .Fuhgeddabouditt
I couldnt help it, I had to disagree here :( . Asante is more of a gambler than anything else and occasionally gets burned because hes trying to pick the ball. So how does that make this combo better than what could of been with the JETS? Revis and Aso > Aso and Asante.

That's what makes Asante more dangerous. He baits QBs into throwing to him, and bring it back for 6 (NFL record for pick 6's in the playoffs). Both Revis and ASO are shut down corners, no doubt, but they aren't threatening. They just don't let your guy get the ball, period. ASO and Samuel on the other hand are two different corners. ASO doesn't allow his guy to catch the ball and if they do, he is a sure tackler. Samuel is a threat to jump the route and bring it back (Revis not so much). One guy that is a shut down corner and the other who is a ball hawk is more dangerous (not better, simply more dangerous) then two shut down corners.
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darth_Revan_666

[QUOTE="Darth_Revan_666"]

Chutebox

Good thing I didn't say that....

Great CB duo's has made great football. Like the Raiders with Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes.http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d811aa3f4&template=with-video-with-comments

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I remember last season, the Cowboys were supposed to be Super Bowl bound and look how that turned out.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 No_Hablo_Ingles
I remember last season, the Cowboys were supposed to be Super Bowl bound and look how that turned out.Lostboy1224
comparing apples to mac trucks.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I think they could get to the SB, but I don't think they'd win it. I still think AFC teams like the Steelers and Patriots are better.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Well the Eagles have been regularly amongst the NFL best teams for over a decade, but could never get over that hump, a bit like the Mavericks in the NBA until last season (although I always hated the Mavs and I'm a big Eagles fan). This year might very well be theirs.

Mr-Espresso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr-Espresso
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

As a life long Eagles fan I will be saying Contender, but even with that the amount of contenders this year is pretty spread out. Even the Detroit Lions this year look good and I can see other teams making some big moves and suprises. Also as much as it pains me to say it, the Cowboys will be much better this year than last.

Avatar image for PiTPenguins2787
PiTPenguins2787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PiTPenguins2787
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts

I am going to have to say pretender...i feel that the Packers could beat the Eagles everyday of the week.

Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darth_Revan_666

I am going to have to say pretender...i feel that the Packers could beat the Eagles everyday of the week.

PiTPenguins2787

They only lost by 1 score against the Packers in the playoffs. They were already close. And they've now vastly improved their defense. Taking BTW the Packers best D-Linemen. So how in the world are they not contenders??????????????????

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Assuming Vick doesn't regress from his inexplicable transformation into a competent passer, then of course they're contenders.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Nowadays, any team that makes the playoffs is a contender. With the Eagles now a clear favorite to win the division, they are obviously a contender.
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts
i dont have faith in vick...there i said itmems_1224
well i do.......so my money is on philly
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
Eagles will easily win the NFC east. I was at the Eagles/Packers game and Asomugha alone would have been the difference between winning and losing for Eagles. They played the Packers the closest of all teams during their championship run.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I sure hope they fail. The eagles fans have become ridiculously annoying. And what's with them comparing themselves to the heat? Last I checked, the heat just lost in the finals. Why would you compare your team to another team that lost?
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 No_Hablo_Ingles
I sure hope they fail. The eagles fans have become ridiculously annoying. And what's with them comparing themselves to the heat? Last I checked, the heat just lost in the finals. Why would you compare your team to another team that lost? TonyDanzaFan
No Eagles fan I know are comparing themselves to the Heat. Neither here, ESPN or BR.
criegz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 criegz
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

I sure hope they fail. The eagles fans have become ridiculously annoying. And what's with them comparing themselves to the heat? Last I checked, the heat just lost in the finals. Why would you compare your team to another team that lost? TonyDanzaFan

Jason Babin tweeted that unfortunately, something along the lines of feeling like the Miami Heat, except they're going to win it all. Just a confidence booster for the Eagles! Shame VY's "dream team" comment is being blown up by the media..