NBA: Sources say Yao Ming Has Decided To Retire from NBA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Apparently he hasn't been able to fully recover from numerous injuries and surgeries, and has notified league offices he has decided to retire.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30521353

Pretty much confirmed I think. Sad news, so much potential but injuries runed his career obviously.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
well, cant say ill miss him. He was cool at first but kept getting injured and when he was healthy, was getting schooled by guys in the NBA ,when I did see him play.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Good, Justin Morneau should take a hint.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

He was a pretty damn good offensive post player and with just his size alone was a... defensive presence if you will. Real shame. OHWELL

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
God damn it!
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 No_Hablo_Ingles
well, cant say ill miss him. He was cool at first but kept getting injured and when he was healthy, was getting schooled by guys in the NBA ,when I did see him play. Fuhgeddabouditt
He was getting schooled? What Rocket games were you watching?
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Damn. He was a great player.
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fuhgeddabouditt
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]well, cant say ill miss him. He was cool at first but kept getting injured and when he was healthy, was getting schooled by guys in the NBA ,when I did see him play. No_Hablo_Ingles

not many.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
That's a damn shame. Yao was good for the league and was always a skilled player.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]well, cant say ill miss him. He was cool at first but kept getting injured and when he was healthy, was getting schooled by guys in the NBA ,when I did see him play. Fuhgeddabouditt

not many.

In Yao's career the only "schooling" done to him were the occasional dunk on him by NBA superstars (happens to the best of them) and one block (more like a foul) by Nate Robinson. At his best, he was the most versatile offensive center in the game. Whether it be nailing an 18 foot jump shot from the top of the key, shooting a great percentage from the FT line, or setting himself up with an amazing amount of post moves (good luck stopping his 7'6 hook shot). As far as Yao's defense goes... with him the Rockets were a top 5 defense. Without him this year... the Rockets were a Goldenstate like team (will score 120+ points in 4 quarters and still lose).
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fuhgeddabouditt
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] He was getting schooled? What Rocket games were you watching?

not many.

In Yao's career the only "schooling" done to him were the occasional dunk on him by NBA superstars (happens to the best of them) and one block (more like a foul) by Nate Robinson. At his best, he was the most versatile offensive center in the game. Whether it be nailing an 18 foot jump shot from the top of the key, shooting a great percentage from the FT line, or setting himself up with an amazing amount of post moves (good luck stopping his 7'6 hook shot). As far as Yao's defense goes... with him the Rockets were a top 5 defense. Without him this year... the Rockets were a Goldenstate like team (will score 120+ points in 4 quarters and still lose).

well thats cool but like I said, the games that I do remember seeing him play, he wasnt all that and add to the fact I watched little Rockets games. He was also injured to the point it feels like the last time he played was in 6th grade for me to really feel sorry for him retiring. He was exciting at first but quickly became irrelevant that at times I forgot he was even in the league.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 No_Hablo_Ingles
yeah, I understand that. 5 games in 2 years....
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
He had potential too be a great player, good rebounder and improving all around. He just couldn't stay healthy which made it impossible for him to truly reach his full potential. He made the right move, Greg Oden will follow when his contract is up.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 No_Hablo_Ingles
Has Yao confirmed this yet? I was kind of hoping he would continue healing while the year long lockout occurs... and then come back
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Can't stay healthy for a whole season so might as well call it a career while he can still walk right. Was a great Center when he was healthy, but that didn't happen too often. Will think back on him fondly and all the time he spent on the bench in a three piece and tie.
jambyvedar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jambyvedar
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If it is true, then we have not seen the true potential of Yao, who was always hit by injuries.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts
Has Yao confirmed this yet? I was kind of hoping he would continue healing while the year long lockout occurs... and then come backNo_Hablo_Ingles
Yao has called a press conference on July 20th to discuss his plans. No confirmation from him yet and his agent said he can't say anything about it.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]Has Yao confirmed this yet? I was kind of hoping he would continue healing while the year long lockout occurs... and then come backJohnBean42
Yao has called a press conference on July 20th to discuss his plans. No confirmation from him yet and his agent said he can't say anything about it.

OK, thanks...
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
:cry: man this sucks. yao would easily be the best center in the league if he was healthy right now. the funny thing is that for the first 4 years he was the most durable center in the league. there was just too much mileage on him with the grueling nba season and then playing for china in the summer. he never got to rest which made him get hurt. he had the biggest impact in the league since jordan(as far as bringing in fans to the game) and a big reason why the NBA is a hit internationally
Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] He was getting schooled? What Rocket games were you watching?

not many.

well that's more cuz we start freaking chuck hayes, fire MOREY
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="Microsoft1234"] well that's more cuz we start freaking chuck hayes, fire MOREY

It was either the chuck wagon or Brad Miller... I agree about orey
AreYouFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AreYouFried
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts
It is rare that you have a 7ft+ center that can shoot a jumper. He was also one of the only Chinese basketball players. It's hard to carry an entire basketball team on your back so I gotta give him his credit. Other than that he should've ended his career right after he got blocked/fouled by Nate Robinson.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
If Yao and T-Mac both stayed healthy when they were together, lord knows how legendary both would have come out.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
that sux,
wornstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 wornstar
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

Gona miss the big guy. He was great player and great for the league. Will never get my wish of seeing him in a 'dubz uni. Oh well.