My rant on pathetically weak schedules for college powerhouses...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
The first weekend of the college football season has come and gone and we already have much to talk about: Oregon's Blount and his out-of-control behavior, BYU edging out #3 Oklahoma with the help of an injured Sam Bradford and a slew of great match-ups between Top25 teams. This years is already shaping up to have everything a fan wants. But there is one thing that comes to bother me each and every year: the lack of tough schedules for the supposed elite teams. The most glaring offender, our defending national champion, Florida Gators. Not only do they have only FOUR road games (yeah, that's right FOUR) this season, they opened the season with the epitome of a cupcake game against an FCS team (at home, mind you), Charleson-Southern. They might-as-well have played a Division II team. The Gators also get the luxury of starting off the season with 3 straight home games. Their next oponent is Troy, a team that is a member of the laughable Sun-Belt conference. The only test they have this years is on October 10th when they have to make the treck to Louisiana to play the overrated (IMO) Tigers. If the Gators sweep this season and go undeafeted, they will of course be in the BCS title game, which is atracious. What if Texas, USC and Florida all go undefeated? USC will have earned a right to play for that title if that happens (just look at thier schedule; it's not an easy ride save the opener against SJSU). Texas will have the right as well (thier schedule is no joke either). So what's going to happen? An elite team is going to get left out because of past merits and the blatant favoritism the AP, ESPN and the rest of the world has toward the SEC. I feel if a team is rated in the top 10 then they should have a top 10 toughest schedule. No more of these easy rides to the BCS bowl games, no "tune-up" games, and for God's sake, NO MORE SCHEDULING FCS TEAMS! My point being made I would like to know how the rest of GS's college football fan's feel about this. What say you? Agree/disagree? *As a footnote I would like to state that I'm a Southern Cal. fan that is angry at how much people putdown the PAC-10.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

I agree with what you are saying. I don't think teams should have to have a schedule packed full with great teams but they should at least have 4 games that are going to really test them. It is kind of hard to do this though since the schedules are made a few years in advance but they could still figure something out. I'm a BYU fan so believe me, I understand how annoying it is for a powerhouse to play next to no one and still get a spot in the big game. Florida probably will have to go up against 'Bama though in the SEC Championship game and that will be a tough one! After their first game 'Bama is looking really good! And I do need to point out that BYU was doing a really good job against OU even when Bradford was in. I'm not going to say what would have happened either way if he had stayed in but I'm sure it would have still been close.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

How about Pen State? Sheez, talk about a tough schedule... :roll:

fudger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 fudger2
Member since 2004 • 2315 Posts

If these teams are powerhouses, then they should play good teams. I say only 1 tune up game against some scrubs but definitely not at home.

sixringz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sixringz1
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts

Welcome to the BCS. it's been like this for YEARS. There will always be issues, and until a playoff is instituted there will always be debates. Should you get rewarded for playing a hard schedule and winning all your games? yes. Should a proven team be penalized for not having as strong of a schedule? probably not. But it doesn't matter. Florida is the defending champs with basically the same roster, so they could play no ranked teams all year and they'd still get their respect. Simple solution - PLAYOFF

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

Playoffs.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
I see you mentioned Troy, and they are a quality team for their position. They have great athletes and can win some games. They've beaten Oklahoma St. (that was a couple years ago, and it was a beat down), and Mississippi St. also, they blew a huge lead last year at LSU
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 22Toothpicks

Playoffs.

Espurs117
I don't think we'll ever see a traditional playoff system-that would mean abolishing the current bowl system. To much money is revenued from the bowl games for that to happen...but yeah, something has got to give.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Scheduling is always going to be this way, mostly because of money. There isn't a single athletic director in America who wouldn't schedule 12 home games if he or she could, and that's because home games generate a hell of a lot more money for the athletic department than road games do -- at least for the power programs (for the San Jose States of the world, it's the opposite as they have to travel to places like USC and pick up a seven-figure paycheck for going there in order to stay afloat). For a lot of programs, football is the breadwinner for the entire athletic department, and the AD is going to schedule to make the most money that he can.

As an example, I follow Ohio State. They make over 5 million dollars revenue per home game. They have 36 varsity sports; if that's not the biggest in the country, then it's close. Football and donations pay for the bulk of those sports, and it's up to Ohio State's AD to make sure the football schedule is set up to pay the bills. Therefore, the standard template for Ohio State out-of-conference is to set up one marquee opponent every year that is a home-and-home series, with three lesser home opponents (they have a neutral site game this year with Toledo, but that is a rarity). It's rare for OSU and programs like them to head out on the road and play a one-game series because they're not making as much money if they could if they stayed home. They're not going to leave a several million dollar payday on the table if they can help it.

So you're generally not going to see big-time teams accept those deals unless there's a home-and-home series, and when they do go on the road, they're going to want to get something out of it. Ohio State in recent years has had home-and-homes with Texas and USC and in years to come has Miami (Fla.), Cal, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee -- all schools that are going to be able to give them a nice paycheck for coming out there and all games that are going to grab national attention, and if you notice the trend among the teams I've listed, they are generally schools that are located in recruiting hotbeds, which is an extra bonus -- it gets the team exposure in those areas. There's really not much incentive for Ohio State or a program of that stature to schedule a road game against someone like Boise State or Utah or BYU as they're probably not going to get the paycheck or attention that they would elsewhere.

These games are also scheduled years in advance. Ohio State has their home-and-homes set up through 2019 and the other games are usually locked in by contract a few years in advance. It costs a lot of money to break that contract. So it's not realistic for a team to look at next year's schedule and say "Hey, our schedule sucks this year, we should add someone else" because someone big isn't going to be available and it's going to cost a team a chunk to open up a spot.

In the instance of a team like Florida, I don't think they should feel the need to do anything else. They have a tough enough schedule in-conference every year and have a home-and-home with Florida State and have to go through the SEC championship game to get to where they want to go. That's enough, imo. Some years the chips fall in a team's favor and they get a favorable schedule.

We have a flawed system that is stupid, and it's the system's fault, not the fault of scheduling. Things just need to be fixed to make it more fair (we can clamor for a playoff all we want, but that's not going to happen because too many people in power don't want it to). I do think for starters that the Mountain West should be given a spot in the BCS; they've earned it, in my mind. But I'm not sure the powers that be are interested in fairness, they're interested in a payday.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 22Toothpicks
I see you mentioned Troy, and they are a quality team for their position. They have great athletes and can win some games. They've beaten Oklahoma St. (that was a couple years ago, and it was a beat down), and Mississippi St. also, they blew a huge lead last year at LSUgeaux321
So Troy is not as weak as I thought. But that still doesn't excuse having 7 home games in an 11 game season. Seriously, what the hell is up with that? Eidt: It seems my question has been answered in a previous post-it comes down to making money. If we had a playoff system, I wouldn't give a rats ass about weak regular season schedules...bah the whole system is caca.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Playoffs.

Espurs117
This.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

It is annoying when you see teams like Eastern Kentucky Institute of Technology playing USC...but if the powerhouse teams are paying these smaller programs to literally destroy them then so be it. But hey, look at Appalachian State or whatever upsetting Michigan last year?

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Espurs117

[QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Playoffs.

22Toothpicks

I don't think we'll ever see a traditional playoff system-that would mean abolishing the current bowl system. To much money is revenued from the bowl games for that to happen...but yeah, something has got to give.

I think we will see them eventually. You know by the time our grandchildren can enjoy it.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Playoffs.

Espurs117

I think we will see them eventually. You know by the time our grandchildren can enjoy it.

No joke! Each year there is more and more reason to have a playoff (with last year having HUGE REASONS) and yet we still don't seem to be moving towards that at all... It's all about the money sadly...
Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Hihatrider87
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

yes, weak schedules are annoying, and doubly yes, i hate that there is no playoff in college football.

on your comment about favoritism towards the sec: the sec has participated in 5 of the last 10 nat. champ games and won every single one of them. when was the last time an sec team has lost the nat. championship? really, i don't know. the sec east is weak right now with Florida being the obvious exception, but the west is full of difficult teams. Florida will have to play Ole Miss, LSU (both on the road), and likely Alabama in the sec champ game (keep in mind i'm an auburn fan so thats not bias speaking believe me). so yes, the rest of the schedule isn't that impressive, but they do have testers in their.

besides, as an auburn, i know that an sec team doesn't always get respect for an undefeated season.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#16 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
A USC fan complaining about media bias towards the SEC? Pot calling the kettle black? You'll always have Mark May to kiss your team's ass. And USC's in-conference schedule doesn't really merit a nod over Florida or Texas for the NTG.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
deactivated-5c47d700b56ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
Member since 2003 • 8038 Posts
[QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Playoffs.

22Toothpicks

yep this is right. too much money involved with sponsors and the such. strength of schedule doesnt really annoy me though. fcs teams and weak fbs teams play harder and bigger teams to make a name for themselves. plus the get money and some nation attention. remember when appalachian state beat michigan? that was a BIG game for AP. michigan payed them to come to ann arbor for an "easy" game and lost.
zephyr_paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zephyr_paladin
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I've always said that Florida was spoon-fed. Now I know that I'm not the only one who thinks so. For the record, I am a die-hard OU fan, and to see Bradford get hurt, I died a little inside (hyperbole). I'm amazed at how quickly OU can get crippled. It's mind-boggling! That isn't to say that BYU didn't play a good game. They exploited OU's lackluster and relatively pathetic OL, and because of that, Sam is out for roughly a month. Jermaine was out, too, so that didn't help. Throw in Franks's HORRIBLE pass defense (#1 defensive player MY ASS!), countless penalties and turnovers, a red-shirt freshman QB (Landry's got a gun, he just doesn't know how to utilize it yet), and inability to go 2 FREAKING YARDS FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PLAYS, and what do you get? OU getting beat by BYU. That game pissed me off so bad... But I seriously think that the higher-ranked teams should get harder schedules, that way we know who the good teams REALLY are.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Boycott college football.
Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hihatrider87
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

i would love it if the ncaa added 2 nonconference games to the regular season that was based loosely on the previous years rankings or some system that had teams like Alabama and USC playing each other fairly regularly. if not a playoff system, that would be one way to deal with the whole 'most teams in x conference suck" arguement and the TC wouldn't have to defend the PAC 10 or call out the SEC. in essence we would have a better sample of games between conferences....

or we could just ignore it cause pro is finally starting this week.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Boycott college football.X360PS3AMD05

NO WAY!

zephyr_paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zephyr_paladin
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I like how Navy (that's right, Navy) almost whooped them some Ohio State...and to think they used to be champions. Pitiful, absolutely pitiful. Just for that, I hope Army wins the National Championship, 'cause if our armed forces are that good at the game, then we all better watch out. I predict many an upset this year.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
I like how Navy (that's right, Navy) almost whooped them some Ohio State...and to think they used to be champions. Pitiful, absolutely pitiful. Just for that, I hope Army wins the National Championship, 'cause if our armed forces are that good at the game, then we all better watch out. I predict many an upset this year.zephyr_paladin
Navy isn't a terrible football program...
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I believe Navy was ranked last year and they go to a bowl game every year. Not a scrub team, but yes Ohio State should have put them away early.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Oh man, Texas is coming here to Wyoming tomorrow... :lol:
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Holy ****, UW is competing with Texas! :o
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Espurs117

Holy ****, UW is competing with Texas! :orockguy92

They are playing horrible on offense. Nice drive before the half tho.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

I've always said that Florida was spoon-fed. Now I know that I'm not the only one who thinks so. For the record, I am a die-hard OU fanzephyr_paladin

Was Florida spoonfed last year too?

Won 51-21 over #4 LSU
Won 49-10 over #6 Georgia
Won 56-6 over #25 South Carolina
Won 45-15 over #20 FSU
Won 31-20 over #1 Alabama
Won 24-14 over #1 Oklahoma

I believe the Gators schedule was rated the toughest out of every team in college football last year.

Also to the thread creator. If Florida does go undefeated they still will have to beat a likely top 5 team in Alabama in the SEC Championship game, so their schedule is tougher than it seems. It's not the toughest in the nation this year but #11 LSU, #21 Georgia, likely top 5 Alabama (if both make the SEC Champ game), and a possibly ranked FSU isn't that weak.

Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

[QUOTE="zephyr_paladin"]I've always said that Florida was spoon-fed. Now I know that I'm not the only one who thinks so. For the record, I am a die-hard OU fanOrlando_Magic

Was Florida spoonfed last year too?

Won 51-21 over #4 LSU
Won 49-10 over #6 Georgia
Won 56-6 over #25 South Carolina
Won 45-15 over #20 FSU
Won 31-20 over #1 Alabama
Won 24-14 over #1 Oklahoma

I believe the Gators schedule was rated the toughest out of every team in college football last year.

Also to the thread creator. If Florida does go undefeated they still will have to beat a likely top 5 team in Alabama in the SEC Championship game, so their schedule is tougher than it seems. It's not the toughest in the nation this year but #11 LSU, #21 Georgia, likely top 5 Alabama (if both make the SEC Champ game), and a possibly ranked FSU isn't that weak.

I'm a USC fan and I personally agree with this, Florida has deserved its acclaim from the media, they are the premier program right now.

However I want to see a playoff, college football needs it. There are just to many "what if's" at the end of each college football season.