Mayweather VS McGregor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

So apparently this is a thing that's happening. Floyd Mayweather and Connor McGregor will meet for a bout of Boxing, in what seems more like publicity stunt than an attempt to actually put on a good show of Boxing.

Mayweather says the Irish UFC fighter is the only one who can make him come back out of retirement, ignoring other possible adversaries, which is somewhat understandable, since he doesn't really have anyone left to defeat... I can only think of Amir Khan, who just recently lost to Canelo Alvarez. At the same time though, it's not like McGregor is a better Boxer than any of the ones currently fighting at Welterweight.

As for McGregor... I'm not sure what he's thinking. Would he have even the slightest chance of beating Mayweather in a ring? I have to say I doubt it. If this were an MMA fight then I'd be arguing the other way and saying that Mayweather doesn't stand a chance, but nope, McGregor is going full apeshit with his publicity stunts and is gonna try to fight Floyd Mayweather in a ring... in Boxing... Also from what I've heard, he'll be getting paid about a tenth of what Mayweather would rake in from this fight. Can anyone say ez 50-0?

This might be fun, or it might just be one of the more stupid events to happen in Boxing history. Thoughts?

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 0

#2 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I wish, if they were going to do it, that they'd at least make it a kickboxing match so Connor can use his legs. Mayweather would probably still win, but I think a kickboxing match would at least be somewhat competitive.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

no.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Is this confirmed? If so, I don't think McGregor has much of a chance.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Catalli  Moderator

@GamerForca said:

I wish, if they were going to do it, that they'd at least make it a kickboxing match so Connor can use his legs. Mayweather would probably still win, but I think a kickboxing match would at least be somewhat competitive.

You think Mayweather would still win in a kickboxing match? I dunno, I guess it would depend on the type of kickboxing, but if we're talking K1, I say McGregor would rek Mayweather.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#6  Edited By GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@ianhh6: I'm not sure. McGregor's kicks are good, but he's never knocked anybody out with one, or really even hurt anybody with one in any of the fights I've seen, as most of his damage comes from his fists. While it would be a tough adjustment for Mayweather, it wouldn't be nearly as difficult as adjusting to takedowns and grappling in an MMA style fight, in which he would get pulverized.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@GamerForca: true, but that's why I specified the type of kickboxing... I wasn't thinking so much of the kicks as the elbows and knees. That's something McGregor could implement and completely take a boxer by surprise. Boxers shouldn't be acostumed to hard blows like those from an elbow, whereas any MMA Fighter has to have received one at some point... Then the mere fact that Mayweather might not have a clue how to string a combo, while McGregor would, even if it never reached the floor....

I dunno, I'm just speculating, but I think it's interesting to compare these martial arts. I'd be interested in watching to see the outcome.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

Mayweather would win only because of his style hard to hit counter puncher.