I popped in NFL 2K5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

Three years later, I popped in 2K5 and even today it is still a blast to play.  I played Madden 06 and 07 the last two years but still had much more fun with the outdated 2K5.  Why?  Gameplay people... I played a couple of games and forgot just how much was packed in 2K5.  

What 2K5 has that Madden doesn't 

RBs jumps over the pile at the goaline for TDs just like the pros.

RBs stiff arm defenders without losing speed, different animations for RBs when they break tackles (RBs almost going down, keeping their balance to gain more yards).

Countless number of animations for a pass reception is crazy.  WR jumped up to grab a pass, got hit and spun around on his way down.  WRs catch sideline passes just before going out of bounds.

Animation for WRs being jammed after release.

More player animations, period.

Penalties-Defensive holding, ineligible receivers down field, neutral zone infractions, etc

Gang tackling

Emotion-players get excited for the big play or shows frustration or pain when they lose

Wider range of choices on Challenges

Better punt return opportunities

What Madden has the 2K anything doesn't

More sales

More money, enough to buy out the NFL and monopolize football video gaming

Deeper franchise mode

Commentary-although it is recycled, it's better

This is not to start a Madden/2K war.  This is only to find out if anyone else is playing 2K5 game. 

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
man its funny because I was playing NFL 2k5 yesterday too because my cousin still has his ps2, we played like 3 games and even today its still better then the madden games out.  The gameplay is above and beyond, I really like how the RBs just dont completely stop behind a lineman if hes stuck, he'll put out his arm on the Offensive lineman and keep driving his feet. its those small details that made the game great along with what you already listed
Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Eagles931
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
man its funny because I was playing NFL 2k5 yesterday too because my cousin still has his ps2, we played like 3 games and even today its still better then the madden games out.  The gameplay is above and beyond, I really like how the RBs just dont completely stop behind a lineman if hes stuck, he'll put out his arm on the Offensive lineman and keep driving his feet. its those small details that made the game great along with what you already listed andyboiii
Man I agree with you guys but when all pro football 2k8 comes out we have a little wiggle room when we want to buy a football game
rtehrani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rtehrani
Member since 2003 • 1485 Posts
nfl 2k5 is football gaming bliss. im so excited to hear that the 2k series will be coming back.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
Okay, I have to say that half of the stuff you said was only in NFL 2K5 is wrong. Madden has most of that stuff and they do a better job! Plus, I have always felt that Madden has had the better gameplay year after year even on PS2 and Xbox. Obviously this is my opinion but that list you made isn't correct. You can dive over the pile at the goal line in Madden, there are WAY more animations in Madden (which is a fact if you look at the #'s), and I have had plenty of success returning punts. I actually like how it takes a touch of skill because most games give you huge holes and let you walk to the endzone! You can still get good returns a lot though on Madden.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
At least in Madden, Torry Holt doesn't drop wide open passes...
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

At least in Madden, Torry Holt doesn't drop wide open passes...dkhw

lol, yep

only Terrell Owens does that 

StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Overall I have more fun in Madden 07 because of it's Superstar mode and Deep Franchise but while actuly playing the football in the game i think 2k5 is better. But because of SS mode and the good Franchise mode i like Madden overall.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mazing87

I have yet to see a ball carrier dive over a pile.  If it's not the dive button that gets the ball carrier to jump over the pile, please explain which buttons would I press to see this.  Your claim of Madden having more animations is way off!  I have played six full seasons in franchise mode and have not seen half the player animations that are in 2K5.  Receivers in Madden fail to make routine catches from the sideline (You all know what I'm talking about).  The pass is always incomplete because the receiver doesn't keep two feet inbounds (Happens about 97% of the time).  Receivers in 2K5 makes sideline catches and even back of the endzone catches.  I find myself using the instant replay a lot in 2K5 just to see the sheer amount of player animations a receiver has when he catches a pass.  Nothing unrealistic, just similar to how the pros do it.  RBs in Madden that attempt to stiff arm or bull rush through a defender, always slows down to complete the move (This is ok, but it's done every single time).  RBs in 2K5 performs their moves with fluidity with very little slowdown.  Bottomline, please post the buttons that get the ball carrier to jump over piles in Madden in goalines and short yardage situations. I will pop Madden back in my PS2 to play it.  If successful, I will follow up here and admit that I was wrong. 

Okay, I have to say that half of the stuff you said was only in NFL 2K5 is wrong. Madden has most of that stuff and they do a better job! Plus, I have always felt that Madden has had the better gameplay year after year even on PS2 and Xbox. Obviously this is my opinion but that list you made isn't correct. You can dive over the pile at the goal line in Madden, there are WAY more animations in Madden (which is a fact if you look at the #'s), and I have had plenty of success returning punts. I actually like how it takes a touch of skill because most games give you huge holes and let you walk to the endzone! You can still get good returns a lot though on Madden.nickdastick

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mazing87

That's why I said Madden has the deeper franchise mode and, with superstar mode, although not implemented too well, is a plus.  I played six full seasons with Madden.  But, with just three games played in 2K5, I had a much better experience.  I said to myself, "This is a detailed football game". 

Overall I have more fun in Madden 07 because of it's Superstar mode and Deep Franchise but while actuly playing the football in the game i think 2k5 is better. But because of SS mode and the good Franchise mode i like Madden overall.

StarFoxCOM
fuman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fuman3
Member since 2003 • 602 Posts
My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition.  That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives.
VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts

My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition. That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives. fuman3

Sorry that Take-Two couldn't pony the cash for exclusive rights to the NFL and therefore cutting down these crap threads that clog up the Sports Game board. I like that the Take-Two fanboys (not necessarily you, fuman) immediately assume that if Take-Two had bought exclusivity, that football games would be leaps and bounds better than the current crop...HIGHLY UNLIKELY

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 andyboiii

[QUOTE="fuman3"]My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition. That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives. VERS1ON

Sorry that Take-Two couldn't pony the cash for exclusive rights to the NFL and therefore cutting down these crap threads that clog up the Sports Game board. I like that the Take-Two fanboys (not necessarily you, fuman) immediately assume that if Take-Two had bought exclusivity, that football games would be leaps and bounds better than the current crop...HIGHLY UNLIKELY

lol I guess that makes all the guys at gamespot who review the nfl 2k games fanboys too then right, fact is they put out quality football games every year since day one and I think the fans of the game appreciate that, the madden series isn't terrible but I find these last two years have been medicore 

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dkhw
[QUOTE="VERS1ON"]

[QUOTE="fuman3"]My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition. That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives. andyboiii

lol I guess that makes all the guys at gamespot who review the nfl 2k games fanboys too then right, fact is they put out quality football games every year since day one and I think the fans of the game appreciate that, the madden series isn't terrible but I find these last two years have been medicore

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

2k series is better than Madden in gameplay while Madden outdoes 2k in game modes, but 2k passing game is screwed up... 

KoFoNiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 KoFoNiO
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
If I wanted to play Madden 08, I could just pop in Madden 03, because it's been the same recycled trash since then.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nickdastick

I have yet to see a ball carrier dive over a pile.  If it's not the dive button that gets the ball carrier to jump over the pile, please explain which buttons would I press to see this.  Your claim of Madden having more animations is way off!  I have played six full seasons in franchise mode and have not seen half the player animations that are in 2K5.  Receivers in Madden fail to make routine catches from the sideline (You all know what I'm talking about).  The pass is always incomplete because the receiver doesn't keep two feet inbounds (Happens about 97% of the time).  Receivers in 2K5 makes sideline catches and even back of the endzone catches.  I find myself using the instant replay a lot in 2K5 just to see the sheer amount of player animations a receiver has when he catches a pass.  Nothing unrealistic, just similar to how the pros do it.  RBs in Madden that attempt to stiff arm or bull rush through a defender, always slows down to complete the move (This is ok, but it's done every single time).  RBs in 2K5 performs their moves with fluidity with very little slowdown.  Bottomline, please post the buttons that get the ball carrier to jump over piles in Madden in goalines and short yardage situations. I will pop Madden back in my PS2 to play it.  If successful, I will follow up here and admit that I was wrong. 

[QUOTE="nickdastick"]Okay, I have to say that half of the stuff you said was only in NFL 2K5 is wrong. Madden has most of that stuff and they do a better job! Plus, I have always felt that Madden has had the better gameplay year after year even on PS2 and Xbox. Obviously this is my opinion but that list you made isn't correct. You can dive over the pile at the goal line in Madden, there are WAY more animations in Madden (which is a fact if you look at the #'s), and I have had plenty of success returning punts. I actually like how it takes a touch of skill because most games give you huge holes and let you walk to the endzone! You can still get good returns a lot though on Madden.mrvic87

Well I have a 360 and on 06 they jumped over the pile by hitting X and on 07 they do the same. Now, I said Madden has more animations because it does, I am talking about 360 though. I don't know how many they have on the Xbox nor do I care. You didn't specify what console and I was talking about 360 so everything I said was true. That's why I don't deal with last gen stuff because the 360 is TEN times better.

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VERS1ON
[QUOTE="VERS1ON"]

[QUOTE="fuman3"]My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition. That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives. andyboiii

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

LOL Now you're trying to put words in my mouth...I'm talking about the 3,000 threads a year that still pop up that are still trying to compare NFL 2k5 to Madden 07...the last fair comparison that you can make is NFL 2k5 vs. Madden 2005. I'm not saying that either one is better, I've been a Madden guy, so that's my preference. I'm not even saying that the last two Maddens have been great, but at least they're trying. These people say that EA is putting out the same crap are discounting any sort of effort on EA's part. Plus, the poster who said that Madden 08 will just be like 2003 is the kind person that bothers me. Playmaker Control...ever heard of it? Didn't come in til Madden 2004. It was NOT the same game from Madden 2003 - 2004. Hit Stick, QB Vision, lead blocking (I've even come to appreciate the smaller things, such as Player Roles in Franchise (PS2/Xbox) that add important little things to the experience.) I'm not saying that anything has been as revolutionary as Playmaker Control since its inception, but it's not for the lack of trying.

I'm just bothered by the 2k fanboys who are like "Madden has ruined football gaming, blah blah blah...", as if it is a foregone conclusion that 2k's continued existence in NFL videogames for the last two years would have us all laughing that Madden was ever popular. I'm not going to lie, there are some ridiculous Madden fanboys who aren't open to facts, either. 

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 andyboiii
[QUOTE="andyboiii"][QUOTE="VERS1ON"]

[QUOTE="fuman3"]My opinion, 2k5 was the best football game this decade. Im so fustrated with madden , i havent bought madden since 2002. its the same garbage every year. with ea buying out the exclusive rights thye have no fear of competition. That why im glad the NHL and NBA didnt go with exclusives. VERS1ON

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

LOL Now you're trying to put words in my mouth...I'm talking about the 3,000 threads a year that still pop up that are still trying to compare NFL 2k5 to Madden 07...the last fair comparison that you can make is NFL 2k5 vs. Madden 2005. I'm not saying that either one is better, I've been a Madden guy, so that's my preference. I'm not even saying that the last two Maddens have been great, but at least they're trying. These people say that EA is putting out the same crap are discounting any sort of effort on EA's part. Plus, the poster who said that Madden 08 will just be like 2003 is the kind person that bothers me. Playmaker Control...ever heard of it? Didn't come in til Madden 2004. It was NOT the same game from Madden 2003 - 2004. Hit Stick, QB Vision, lead blocking (I've even come to appreciate the smaller things, such as Player Roles in Franchise (PS2/Xbox) that add important little things to the experience.) I'm not saying that anything has been as revolutionary as Playmaker Control since its inception, but it's not for the lack of trying.

I'm just bothered by the 2k fanboys who are like "Madden has ruined football gaming, blah blah blah...", as if it is a foregone conclusion that 2k's continued existence in NFL videogames for the last two years would have us all laughing that Madden was ever popular. I'm not going to lie, there are some ridiculous Madden fanboys who aren't open to facts, either.

well now that you clarified that I can understand why you said that in your first post and I understand madden is still progressing I expect a much better game this year from them, as for me I dont mind madden I played both 2k football and madden but I still prefer 2k football. I would like that choice when going to ther store and im choosing which game to buy. I want to see madden and the NFL 2k games next to eachother so we have that competition that brought the best in the two games, thats what bothers me the most is only seeing one NFL game on the shelf

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mazing87

Interesting.  I have never read any posts that mentioned had 2K sports bought the NFL rights, they would have progressed at a faster pace.  Honestly, I never favored either company attempting to buy exclusive rights (I call it monopoly).  I only want the most realistic sim available.  Adding bells and whistles (features) to the game won't reflect the realism of an NFL game.  I have played Madden since 1996.  Since that time, Madden has grown to become the most popular franchise today.  Madden is Goliath and all other football games are David.  I remembered when 989 sports put out GameDay , it showcased the great looking graphics using polygonal players back in 2001.  They weren't successful as Madden followed suit the following year, and had a much better overall football game.  I never looked at any other football title until NFL 2K5.  I didn't care for the ESPN license or unnecessary features such as the crib.  I played 2K5 and it provided the best gaming experience close to the pros.  I had much more fun with 2K5 than Madden 05, 06, and 07.  And it wasn't just my opinion, but everyone else agreed that 2K5 was the real David ready to slay the mighty Goliath in Madden.  Of course, Madden has a huge fan base, approval of NFL players, and more than enough money (they have been around since 88 or 89) to get the exclusive NFL rights, which I thought was a weak move from a gamer's standpoint.  EA literally stripped the gamers' option to choose.  I played Madden 06 and 07 because they were the only NFL titles available.  I appreciated the new features such as the SS mode, roles, hit/truck stick and QB vision in the last two Madden installments.  But did these new additions truly reflect the realism of the game (maybe the roles)?  2K5 has tons of in-game player animations that I have not seen in any Madden.  2K5 wasn't perfect, as it had it's fair share of flaws with inaccurate stat tracking, at times a frustrating passing game, and player progressions.  Routine plays such as the sideline catch is executed in 2K5 while in Madden, receivers can never get that second foot inbounds.  I could go on with all of the little things that 2K5 have but won't.  Call me technical but I just prefer the most detailed football game with great in-game features, with NFL teams or not. 

[QUOTE="andyboiii"][QUOTE="VERS1ON"]

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts

I havent played 2k5 in awhile, but I remember the passing game being frustrating. Also If I recall correctly the pass deflection button was the same as the int button, which was also frustrating

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mazing87

For PS2, the L1 button was the pass deflection button and the R1 button was the interception button.  The triangle button was used for both, giving the controlled player the best choice at that given situation.  I am not certain with the xbox version.  Doesn't the xbox controller have fewer buttons than the PS2 controller?  I agree with you regarding the frustrated passing game.  There were a few times when the receiver wouldn't adjust to the pass correctly and the pass would end up being an incompletion. 

I havent played 2k5 in awhile, but I remember the passing game being frustrating. Also If I recall correctly the pass deflection button was the same as the int button, which was also frustrating

Joelo8112002
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mazing87

The interesting thing is that Madden scores were far lower, even dipped down to the lower 8's.  I hope it bounces back with a 9 this coming August. 

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 andyboiii

Zero-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zero-Pirate
Member since 2003 • 2156 Posts

The interesting thing is that Madden scores were far lower, even dipped down to the lower 8's. I hope it bounces back with a 9 this coming August.

[QUOTE="andyboiii"]

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 mrvic87

I'm not sure where you guys got your ratings from.  The ratings listed here for the 2k games are slightly off from what I can find on the site.  Although the difference is very minimal.

Anyways, Madden has only dropped to the low 8s for the last 2 games.  Before that it was always quite close to the 2k games. 

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
NFL 2K5 is a much more fun game to play and a bit more realistic. Madden has been going downhill as of late and the NBA Live series had gone even further downhill. Not sure what EA is doing, but I think they are thinking more about their pockets then the actual game. The only EA sports game I still play regularly is Tiger Woods and MVP Baseball. Everything else has been pretty crappy the last 3 years.
VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VERS1ON

NFL 2K5 is a much more fun game to play and a bit more realistic. Madden has been going downhill as of late and the NBA Live series had gone even further downhill. Not sure what EA is doing, but I think they are thinking more about their pockets then the actual game. The only EA sports game I still play regularly is Tiger Woods and MVP Baseball. Everything else has been pretty crappy the last 3 years.blackace

It depends on if you're a fan of boxing, obviously, but if you are, play Fight Night Round 3. That game doesn't disappoint.

Plus, it's not easy for a company to have several studios, some studios with more than one project on at one time, to be continually successful.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mazing87

I had fight night round 3.  I sold it two weeks later.  It wasn't a deep game.  I liked their idea of using the right analog stick for punches.  But I lost interest quickly.  I didn't play MVP baseball 05 but it looks like a great game judging from the videos I have seen. 

[QUOTE="blackace"]NFL 2K5 is a much more fun game to play and a bit more realistic. Madden has been going downhill as of late and the NBA Live series had gone even further downhill. Not sure what EA is doing, but I think they are thinking more about their pockets then the actual game. The only EA sports game I still play regularly is Tiger Woods and MVP Baseball. Everything else has been pretty crappy the last 3 years.VERS1ON

It depends on if you're a fan of boxing, obviously, but if you are, play Fight Night Round 3. That game doesn't disappoint.

Plus, it's not easy for a company to have several studios, some studios with more than one project on at one time, to be continually successful.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dkhw

I had fight night round 3. I sold it two weeks later. It wasn't a deep game. I liked their idea of using the right analog stick for punches. But I lost interest quickly. I didn't play MVP baseball 05 but it looks like a great game judging from the videos I have seen.

mrvic87

Fight Night is only game that EA makes that is worth your time. I agree it's not the deepest, but it's one of the most fun sports game out there.  

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 andyboiii
[QUOTE="mrvic87"]

I had fight night round 3. I sold it two weeks later. It wasn't a deep game. I liked their idea of using the right analog stick for punches. But I lost interest quickly. I didn't play MVP baseball 05 but it looks like a great game judging from the videos I have seen.

dkhw

Fight Night is only game that EA makes that is worth your time. I agree it's not the deepest, but it's one of the most fun sports game out there.

Definitely, best EA sports game out IMO

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mazing87

I had high expectations for FNR3.  That was the fastest I had ever sold a sports title.  It was a bit too easy to advance through the ranks. 

[QUOTE="mrvic87"]

dkhw

d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts

Three years later, I popped in 2K5 and even today it is still a blast to play. I played Madden 06 and 07 the last two years but still had much more fun with the outdated 2K5. Why? Gameplay people... I played a couple of games and forgot just how much was packed in 2K5.

RBs stiff arm defenders without losing speed, different animations for RBs when they break tackles (RBs almost going down, keeping their balance to gain more yards).

Countless number of animations for a pass reception is crazy. WR jumped up to grab a pass, got hit and spun around on his way down. WRs catch sideline passes just before going out of bounds.

Animation for WRs being jammed after release.

Penalties-Defensive holding, ineligible receivers down field, neutral zone infractions, etc

Gang tackling

Emotion-players get excited for the big play or shows frustration or pain when they lose

More sales

Deeper franchise mode

This is not to start a Madden/2K war. This is only to find out if anyone else is playing 2K5 game.

mrvic87

Great post. I've always been a big fan of the 2k series and feel Madden became a household name through marketing, rather than great gameplay. Such a shame when EA gets to trick the public through massive flooding of advertising and exclusive rights. EA knew they couldn't beat NFL2k with their pathetic Madden series, especially when 2k dropped the price. So they go do what any mega corporation does against smaller companies, outspend them into submission. 

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mazing87
Good analysis...  We'll see what happens this August! 
[QUOTE="mrvic87"]

Three years later, I popped in 2K5 and even today it is still a blast to play. I played Madden 06 and 07 the last two years but still had much more fun with the outdated 2K5. Why? Gameplay people... I played a couple of games and forgot just how much was packed in 2K5.

RBs stiff arm defenders without losing speed, different animations for RBs when they break tackles (RBs almost going down, keeping their balance to gain more yards).

Countless number of animations for a pass reception is crazy. WR jumped up to grab a pass, got hit and spun around on his way down. WRs catch sideline passes just before going out of bounds.

Animation for WRs being jammed after release.

Gang tackling

More sales

Deeper franchise mode

This is not to start a Madden/2K war. This is only to find out if anyone else is playing 2K5 game.

d12malu

Great post. I've always been a big fan of the 2k series and feel Madden became a household name through marketing, rather than great gameplay. Such a shame when EA gets to trick the public through massive flooding of advertising and exclusive rights. EA knew they couldn't beat NFL2k with their pathetic Madden series, especially when 2k dropped the price. So they go do what any mega corporation does against smaller companies, outspend them into submission. 

stewart24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 stewart24
Member since 2004 • 660 Posts

hey the only problem I had with NFL 2k5 is how easy it is to complete passes, that really needed to get fixed but other then that the game was great.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nickdastick

The interesting thing is that Madden scores were far lower, even dipped down to the lower 8's.  I hope it bounces back with a 9 this coming August. 

[QUOTE="andyboiii"]

NFL 2k - 9.9

NFL 2k1 - 9.9

NFL 2k2 - 9.3

NFL 2k3 - 9.6

NFL 2k4 - 9.3

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 

NFL 2k5 - 9.1 mrvic87

I do have to say that Madden has always been graded harder than any other football game just because of the fact that is so popular. I LOVED NFL 2K when it came out for Dreamcast but I felt it went downhill which even the guys that rate the games seemed to have felt as well. It all boils down to personal preference, obviously, so I hope that 2K's football game is a solid one for all you guys that like them and I hope that Madden keeps on adding cool gameplay features like lead blocker that are much needed in football games. By the way, I read a preview for NCAA 08 on IGN and from what was added, the game sounds CRAZY cool! I can't wait for that game either!
DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts
 What I couldn't understand about 2K5 was, they implemented ESPN in the product, yet ESPN spent more time plugging Madden then the game with the network name and presentation on it. I also think that if 2K5 could have put actual NFL commentaters and would have stopped repeating the same phrases over and over again, it would have vastly improved the better NFL game...
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mazing87

Can you explain this?  I had no trouble passing but I didn't think it was a walk in the park either...

hey the only problem I had with NFL 2k5 is how easy it is to complete passes, that really needed to get fixed but other then that the game was great.

stewart24
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts

stewart24

For some reason, I always had a difficult time passing the ball in every 2k game.  I am a beast at running the ball though but my passing is lackluster compared to my running game.
strongbow540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 strongbow540
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts
EA Sports do more detail in most of the sports games they make whereas other companies make the gameplay a little better, easier? and more fun.
Avatar image for double-taketake
double-taketake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 double-taketake
Member since 2006 • 278 Posts

I bought Madden 07 soon after it came out, my last Madden game being 03. You should have seen my reaction. I was like "lol, it's the same game..."

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mazing87

We will see what Madden 08 has to offer.... I really hope they deliver this year! 

I bought Madden 07 soon after it came out, my last Madden game being 03. You should have seen my reaction. I was like "lol, it's the same game..."

double-taketake