How to change Baseball and make it a better game

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sonwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sonwhy
Member since 2009 • 1032 Posts

I have come up with the solution on how to make Baseball a better game for more teams and the entire league including the fan base. Its a very simple strategy and it will work. Let the Yankees win the world series for the next 10 years or so and have all the other teams throw in the towel when they play the Yankees. This way the Yankees will get tired of winning and realize that they are ruining baseball with what they are doing by having 75% of their team be an all star team. Its not right having their team being paid 2 or 3 times as much as other teams. And in some cases I have head that specific players on the Yankees make more money than other mlb teams.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Rebuttal: there's no such thing as a poor owner.

The problem isn't that the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, etc. spend a lot. The real problem is that the Pirates, Marlins, etc. spend so little.

Fun fact: the franchise with the highest income in 2008 was the Florida Marlins. Others cracking the top 10 include low spending Nationals, Rays, Twins, and Athletics. The Yankees were second to last.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

The problem isn't that the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, etc. spend a lot. The real problem is that the Pirates, Marlins, etc. spend so little.

Fun fact: the franchise with the highest income in 2008 was the Florida Marlins. Others cracking the top 10 include low spending Nationals, Rays, Twins, and Athletics. The Yankees were second to last.

Oleg_Huzwog
Is that purely based on income directly from attendance? I can't find any details but that is almost what it looks like.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog

Here are the 2007 income numbers. Top earners include the Nationals, Marlins, Rays, Indians, Rockies, Twins, and Padres. Yankees are last on the list.

...and here's 2006. Top earners include the Marlins, Pirates, Indians, Rockies, and Brewers. Yankees are again last on the list.

Sonwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sonwhy

Yankees operating income is in the negative becuz they pay their players so much that they can't make that money back off ticket sales and all the other things that bring in profit at ball games. As for the Detroit Tigers really being in the negative should come as no surprise seeing as their isn't a worse place to be in the US economy than Detroit.

Sonwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sonwhy

Oleg_Huzwog

That may very well be true that there is no such thing as a poor owner but that doesn't mean the amounts of money that these owner possess is similar. In other words Yankees owner is a billionaire and most other teams just have owners with a couple million. Therefore the less money you possess the less likely you are to spend without any worries.

The Yankees have the kind of owner where money is no object but that doesn't mean that becuz he possesses that much money that it reflects his intellect.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oleg_Huzwog

Yankees operating income is in the negative becuz they pay their players so much...Sonwhy

Well, yeah. That's the point. Their ownership says **** the price, let's win. EVERY team has owners who can afford to do the exact same thing.

Sonwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sonwhy

[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]Yankees operating income is in the negative becuz they pay their players so much...Oleg_Huzwog

Well, yeah. That's the point. Their ownership says **** the price, let's win. EVERY team has owners who can afford to do the exact same thing.

Do you know that for a fact (in other words how much money ever owner has)? And even if the owners do have that kind of money it doesn't mean that they care that much to the point that they are willing to run a business that doesn't make money so that away their team can win.

Most of these owners run a business to make money. I happen to think that the Yankees owner is by far one of the wealthiest owners in the entire MLB, if you can prove that he isn't than I would be that much more likely to agree with what your saying.

Zamboni0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zamboni0721
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

That is simply operating income, which is total income from day-to-day operations (i.e., ticket sales, concessions). To view the top earners of the year, you're going to want to click on revenues, which tallies everything including sponsorship deals and other non-daily revenues as well. This list will more accurately reflect the status of the league. The Yankees' payroll in 2009 was 201,449,189 according to MLBcontracts. This is more than almost 80% of the other teams in the MLB earned.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]Yankees operating income is in the negative becuz they pay their players so much...Sonwhy

Do you know that for a fact (in other words how much money ever owner has)? And even if the owners do have that kind of money it doesn't mean that they care that much to the point that they are willing to run a business that doesn't make money so that away their team can win.

Most of these owners run a business to make money. I happen to think that the Yankees owner is by far one of the wealthiest owners in the entire MLB, if you can prove that he isn't than I would be that much more likely to agree with what your saying.

From this, you don't get a complete list. But at the very least, you'd have to acknowledge that no, the Yankees are not head and shoulders above the rest in terms of owner wealth.

Lerner - Nationals - $3.2 billion
Malone - Braves - $1.5 billion
McLane - Astros - $1.4 billion
Illitch - Tigers - $1.4 billion
Steinbrenner - Yankees - $1.3 billion
Zell - Cubs - $3.0 billion
Hicks - Rangers - $1.0 billion
Lindner - Reds - $1.4 billion
Fisher - Athletics - $1.2 billion
Henry - Red Sox - $1.1 billion

And this list doesn't even mention the Pohlads - the most infamous pennypinchers in all of sports.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog

That is simply operating income, which is total income from day-to-day operations (i.e., ticket sales, concessions). To view the top earners of the year, you're going to want to click on revenues, which tallies everything including sponsorship deals and other non-daily revenues as well. This list will more accurately reflect the status of the league. The Yankees' payroll in 2009 was 201,449,189 according to MLBcontracts. This is more than almost 80% of the other teams in the MLB earned.

Zamboni0721

No, I purposefully chose income to highlight how much more money clubs like Florida could be spending. The Marlins could double payroll and still be turning a profit. While this obviously wouldn't put them at the same payroll level as the Yankees, Red Sox, etc... it would put them in the company of teams like the Giants and Cardinals.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

this is some new concept?

The Yankees have been dominating since the 1920s - baseball has expanded several times and they are still on top most of the time.

like everyone else has for the last 90 seasons.:

Just keep hoping that your fave team wins in the years that the Damn Yankess don't.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Thats operating income.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog

Thats operating income.MoonMarvel

Yes, and...?

Did I not state 'income', rather than 'revenue'?

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
make it quicker and a salary cap.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Thats operating income.Oleg_Huzwog

Yes, and...?

You do know what operating income is dont you?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Thats operating income.MoonMarvel

Yes, and...?

Operating revenue minus operating expenses, before tax.

Still not following the point you're trying to make.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Yes, and...?

You're missing something.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts
The small market teams get a lot of money from the big market teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers etc... BUT many of the small market teams don't spend the money to put a competitive team on the field. It is getting ridiculous how much the Yankees spend.... but it's also a problem how the small market owners are playing it CHEAP and just pocketing the $$$ they get from the Big Market teams. The only answer is the Salary Cap. It's made every other sport an even playing field where having the most money isn't the reason a team wins like in MLB.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]You do know what operating income is dont you?MoonMarvel

Apparently I am. Enlighten me.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

http://www.investorwords.com/3460/operating_income.html

You tell me.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]You're missing something.MoonMarvel

http://www.investorwords.com/3460/operating_income.html

You tell me.

Okay, I'm missing interest. Which then brings us back to me still not following the point you are trying to make. Are you implying teams like Florida pay absurdly large sums of interest that negate their ability to dip into their ample profits? Or was this exchange over nothing but semantics?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Salary cap i think is what you're getting at.
make it quicker and a salary cap.Tjeremiah1988
Players should not be allowed to step out of the box after every stinkin pitch!
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts

The MLBPA would fight tooth and nail against a salary cap, even setting up strikes, so you can forget that idea. The problem is that there are too man owners who aren't putting enough effort in to win and are focusing on making money. Yes, the MLB is a business as much as a sport, but these penny pinching owners make their teams essentially meaningless for the most part, providing a poorer experience for the fans and hurting the sport. Example A being the Marlins, a team that competes fiercely considering their $40,000,000 pay roll. If they had $80,000,000 they would be serious contenders for the NL title, even against the Phillies.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DA_B0MB
And if there was a salary cap, let's say $100 million, that's still a huge difference between a lot of teams and only makes competition more even for those who had money in the first place.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iowastate

Salary cap i think is what you're getting at. [QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]make it quicker and a salary cap.X360PS3AMD05

Whatever gives you that notion...and even so...

How are you gonna stop them?

Until I got tired of it the last couple seasons I umpired Little League and Pony League for 20 years.

(just to indicate I know the rules of the game)

I have had more parents than I can count yell at me to call a strike on a kid that steps out of the box.

There was never a rule against that anymore than "stepping in the bucket" or "holding the bat cross-handed" is against the rules.

It was not the kids that got to me it was the cursing obnoxious parents that gave me a pain. Also some of the managers-coaches are abusive. If they are that way to the officials how much fun can the children on their team be having? Besides I no longer have any players to coach or watch - the youngest I am related to at all is off to college in another year except for a girl who plays with dolls instead of balls. So I am not going through the abuse for someone elses children.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Get rid of the DH, make the pitcher hit. That's what I'd change.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X360PS3AMD05
Fine then, for the crybabies a minimum cap at about 50K and the max at about 130K. ^ I second getting rid of the DH.

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Salary cap i think is what you're getting at. [QUOTE="Tjeremiah1988"]make it quicker and a salary cap.iowastate

Whatever gives you that notion...and even so...

How are you gonna stop them?

Until I got tired of it the last couple seasons I umpired Little League and Pony League for 20 years.

(just to indicate I know the rules of the game)

I have had more parents than I can count yell at me to call a strike on a kid that steps out of the box.

There was never a rule against that anymore than "stepping in the bucket" or "holding the bat cross-handed" is against the rules.

It was not the kids that got to me it was the cursing obnoxious parents that gave me a pain. Also some of the managers-coaches are abusive. If they are that way to the officials how much fun can the children on their team be having? Besides I no longer have any players to coach or watch - the youngest I am related to at all is off to college in another year except for a girl who plays with dolls instead of balls. So I am not going through the abuse for someone elses children.

Giving them a strike if they take too long sounds like a good idea, there is a league setup that i heard about where they play antique baseball, old uniforms, can't step out of the box in an at-bat, no talking back to the ump, forgot what it's called. I heard back in the old days a game would take about 1.5-2 hours.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

If you're gonna intentionally walk a batter, just have him automatically go to first base instead of wasting my timehaving the pitcher lob the ball to the catcher 4 times.And also, forcebatters to stay in the box instead of taking long walks to adjust themselves. :)

ExpiredGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ExpiredGhost
Member since 2010 • 528 Posts
I think that the Yankees are the problem, they just had a good team this year.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts

I only have one silly suggestion to make it higher scoring. But this is only for that reason. This will not make the game better. (Just probably more appealing to those who like scoring in sports) If players are left on base after their half of the inning is over. The next inning they return to the base they were left on and start the 0 outs from their. Pitchers Am Cry.

To add on to this sillyness. If their's 2 outs and their is a possibility of a double or triple play, succession of a double/triple play will carry outs onto the next inning.

:lol:

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 waynehead895

If you're gonna intentionally walk a batter, just have him automatically go to first base instead of wasting my timehaving the pitcher lob the ball to the catcher 4 times.And also, forcebatters to stay in the box instead of taking long walks to adjust themselves. :)

feryl06
Although Rare... you take away the slim possibility of this http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20060622_FLA@BAL
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 duxup

[QUOTE="Zamboni0721"]

Oleg_Huzwog

No, I purposefully chose income to highlight how much more money clubs like Florida could be spending. The Marlins could double payroll and still be turning a profit. While this obviously wouldn't put them at the same payroll level as the Yankees, Red Sox, etc... it would put them in the company of teams like the Giants and Cardinals.

So you just chose a set of numbers that fit your argument :P

I recall Steinbrenner saying himself that their TV network makes more money from televising Yankee's games than they do day to day operations at the ballpark.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 duxup
Get rid of the DH, make the pitcher hit. That's what I'd change. CleanPlayer
I would agree with that. The DH is pure garbage.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X360PS3AMD05

feryl06
I'd agree, but sometimes on IW the pitcher can throw a wild pitch and advance a runner :lol:
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I also don't like the DH. Half ballplayers, seriously. Besides that, Baseball is great.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DA_B0MB

Screw pitchers batting. Most of them can't even hit a beach ball. Allowing the auto out in the American League would be a terrible idea, not to mention make it less exciting.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

I have come up with the solution on how to make Baseball a better game for more teams and the entire league including the fan base. Its a very simple strategy and it will work. Let the Yankees win the world series for the next 10 years or so and have all the other teams throw in the towel when they play the Yankees. This way the Yankees will get tired of winning and realize that they are ruining baseball with what they are doing by having 75% of their team be an all star team. Its not right having their team being paid 2 or 3 times as much as other teams. And in some cases I have head that specific players on the Yankees make more money than other mlb teams.

Sonwhy
That certainly would be an excellent way to destroy a sport. You also do realize that the playoffs are almost 100% luck right? So even the Yankees only have around a 15% chance of winning the World Series each year.
Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blkthorne
Member since 2002 • 877 Posts

Salary Cap, but we will never see this happen in our lifetime unless people stop going to games and TV ratings go in the toilet.

DH or pitchers hit, wish MLB would choose one or the other.

No hitters stepping out of the box or pitchers stepping off the mound during play unless injury TO, umps maybe call ball or strike depending on what happens.

All Star game no longer affecting anything for world series, it's just an exhibition game that means nothing.

Reduce the number of games in a season or start earlier so the play-offs/world series aren't postponed due to snowstorms.:P

Reduce the amount of commercial breaks in a game by no break in-between innings.

No intentional walks, catcher will not be allowed out of the catching position during play, no standing up before the pitch is even made.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 metswonin69

Salary Cap, but we will never see this happen in our lifetime unless people stop going to games and TV ratings go in the toilet.

No hitters stepping out of the box or pitchers stepping off the mound during play unless injury TO, umps maybe call ball or strike depending on what happens.

All Star game no longer affecting anything for world series, it's just an exhibition game that means nothing.

Reduce the number of games in a season or start earlier so the play-offs/world series aren't postponed due to snowstorms.:P

Reduce the amount of commercial breaks in a game by no break in-between innings.

No intentional walks, catcher will not be allowed out of the catching position during play, no standing up before the pitch is even made.

Blkthorne
Well the MLB already has the luxury tax AKA "Screw the Yankees tax" which essentially puts a salary cap on teams. Commercials help give teams their revenues, the Mets and Yankees especially would be screwed if there were no commercial breaks. And what fun is it watching the pitcher make 20-25 warm up tosses on TV? And a no intentional walk rule would be impossible to regulate because they could just "intentionally" walk the batter but keep the pitches near the strike zone. Also what do you have against catchers standing up before a pitch-out?
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Get rid of the DH, make the pitcher hit. That's what I'd change. duxup

I agree, DH is a disgrace! There is no need for it, it limits some players to only being a single tool which is hitting...and that depresses me
Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blkthorne
Member since 2002 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="Blkthorne"]

metswonin69

Well the MLB already has the luxury tax AKA "Screw the Yankees tax" which essentially puts a salary cap on teams. Commercials help give teams their revenues, the Mets and Yankees especially would be screwed if there were no commercial breaks. And what fun is it watching the pitcher make 20-25 warm up tosses on TV? And a no intentional walk rule would be impossible to regulate because they could just "intentionally" walk the batter but keep the pitches near the strike zone. Also what do you have against catchers standing up before a pitch-out?

NFL has revenue sharing and salary cap both can't see why MLB couldn't do it too. Not saying get rid of commercials completely, just cut 2-3 minutes off for each inning and you save 18-27 minutes a game, teams could make up for the loss of money with merchandise/ticket prices/higher commercial fees, can't tell me there is no way to offset the lose, they already have $50 hotdogs what is $1 more? Do pitchers really need 20-25 warm-up pitches between innings?? Thought managers were always worried about pitch counts, no wonder pitchers blow out their arms so much. Finally for the intentional walk deal, yeah pitchers could just throw outside but then that might lead to more wild pitches.I don't have anything against pitch-outs, but you don't see catchers standing before the pitch is even made otherwise the runners would know there was a pitch-out coming.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DA_B0MB
[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]

metswonin69
That certainly would be an excellent way to destroy a sport. You also do realize that the playoffs are almost 100% luck right? So even the Yankees only have around a 15% chance of winning the World Series each year.

There is a tad of luck in winning, but your statistic is just flat out wrong. The Phillies didn't go to the World Series in back to back years out of luck, and the Yankees winning it all was no surprise to anyone. They were a 103 win juggernaut.
metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 metswonin69

[QUOTE="metswonin69"][QUOTE="Sonwhy"]

DA_B0MB

There is a tad of luck in winning, but your statistic is just flat out wrong. The Phillies didn't go to the World Series in back to back years out of luck, and the Yankees winning it all was no surprise to anyone. They were a 103 win juggernaut.

You do realize that in the past 22 World Series only twice has the team with the best record in baseball ended up winning?

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iowastate

A lot of us dislike the DH but the rules have changed a few times over the years when the owners voted to make alter them.

Nothing we can do about it. And yes the game went faster at one time but that was because they played them without putting around and wasting time.

ALSO they hardly ever used relief pitchers and just got out and threw the damn ball and did not all act like prima donasl.

Now that they are over paid and pampered and the managers are not longer in charge.

Back in those days the players did not have control of the teams - - even the stars wanted to play long enough to save enough money so they could afford to buy a farm on which to retire.....now they are do damn rich they can buy a small city during their first season so where is the incentive to play their best

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 waynehead895
[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Get rid of the DH, make the pitcher hit. That's what I'd change. CleanPlayer

I agree, DH is a disgrace! There is no need for it, it limits some players to only being a single tool which is hitting...and that depresses me

It also makes the Manager's job a little easier not having to worry about PH as much. Sounds like I'm against DH but I'm for making the Manger's job a little tougher.
metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metswonin69

A lot of us dislike the DH but the rules have changed a few times over the years when the owners voted to make alter them.

Nothing we can do about it. And yes the game went faster at one time but that was because they played them without putting around and wasting time.

ALSO they hardly ever used relief pitchers and just got out and threw the damn ball and did not all act like prima donasl.

Now that they are over paid and pampered and the managers are not longer in charge.

Back in those days the players did not have control of the teams - - even the stars wanted to play long enough to save enough money so they could afford to buy a farm on which to retire.....now they are do damn rich they can buy a small city during their first season so where is the incentive to play their best

iowastate
I would be curious to know what city I could buy with $400,000
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 duxup
[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Get rid of the DH, make the pitcher hit. That's what I'd change. CleanPlayer

Yar. If you got say a Bonds on your team (well hopefully not an embarrassment himself kind of Bonds....) you should suffer him in the field as well if you want to play him. That always makes a game more interesting.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 iowastate
[QUOTE="iowastate"]

metswonin69
I would be curious to know what city I could buy with $400,000

so i exaggerate a bit but the minimum salary for the good players is in the millions, even a scrub will make half a million. I can find you half a dozen towns in North or South Dakota, Wyoming or Iowa that you can easily buy with the minimum Major League baseball salary and have plenty left over. A friend of mine retired to a North Dakota town he bought on a truckers salary.