Current and Recently Retired NFL Players You Think Should be in the Hall of Fame

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Since Kurt Warner decided to retire, I thought a friendly debate about currently playing and recently retired players who you think should get a bust in Canton is in order.

Here's a list of 100% guarenteed, we all know they are getting in the day they retire/will be in players:

QB Peyton Manning, QB Tom Brady, QB Bret Favre, RBLaDanian Tomlinson, TE Tony Gonzalez, WR Marvin Harrison, LT Walter Jones, OG Steve Hutchinson, C Kevin Mawe, LB Ray Lewis, CB Champ Bailey.

But who else to you think should be in? Here's my list:

QB Kurt Warner, RB Fred Taylor, FB Lorenzo Neal(the best lead blocker of his generation... and also FB Mike Alstott should be in), WR Randy Moss, WR Terrell Owens, OG Alan Faneca, C Jeff Saturday, DT Casey Hampton, DT Pat Williams, LB Brian Urlacher, LB Zach Thomas, CB Nnamdi Ashomugah.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
Anybody? LaDainian Tomlinson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Asante Samuel, Jared Allen to name a few/
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 heysharpshooter

Anybody? LaDainian Tomlinson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Asante Samuel, Jared Allen to name a few/MoonMarvel

IMO, some of those guys are too early to call, but I agree they are on the path. Tomlinson is a first ballot hall of famer though.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Anybody? LaDainian Tomlinson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Asante Samuel, Jared Allen to name a few/heysharpshooter

IMO, some of those guys are too early to call, but I agree they are on the path. Tomlinson is a first ballot hall of famer though.

Wayne has 676 receptions, Samuel has only 11 less ints than Bailey. IMO Nnamdi Asomugah hasnt done enough to get in.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Maybe it's my Seahawks bias, but Cortez Kennedy should be in. He had a seaon with 14 sacks from the DT position, not to mention that he was double teamed alomost every play because of the 3-4 defenseSeattle ran.Very impressive. He didn't have the longest career, but was a great player, and a class act.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Shannon Sharpe should be in already...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Here's one no one mentioned yet

Adam Vinatieri

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

Kurt Warner, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Jerome Bettis

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Richard. Dent. Seriously.

I know he's not too recent, but I think the fact that he hasn't gotten in yet is just absurd.

Viginti_Tres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Viginti_Tres
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts

Tony Romo, Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Jason Witten, Eli Manning, Tim Tebow.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I know he's not too recent, but I think the fact that he hasn't gotten in yet is just absurd.

theone86

THIS. He'd better get in this time. :x

Brian Urlacher and Olin Kreutz will be Hall of Famers.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="theone86"]

JML897

I agree with Urlacher... there was a time in this league where he was the most dominate defensive player in the NFL.

Kruetz... no. He has never been the best center in the NFL.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
he's not recently retired, but dick lebeau deserves to make it as both a player and a coach
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

heysharpshooter

I agree with Urlacher... there was a time in this league where he was the most dominate defensive player in the NFL.

Well, Kruetz was just named to the all decade team, so you never know. But when I saw this topic, I immediately said Richard Dent. Glad others feel the same...I mean, come on...He's got a verse in a Grammy nominated song... The sackman's comin', I'm your man Dent. if the quarterback's slow, He's gonna get bent. We stop the run, we stop the pass, I like to dump guys on their @$$. We love to play for the world's best fans, You better start makin' Your Super Bowl plans. But don't get ready or go to any trouble Unless you practice The Super Bowl Shuffle.
Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blkthorne
Member since 2002 • 877 Posts

The one that isn't in the HoF yet, that really bothers me the most is Jerry Kramer, the OG of the Packers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d80999c60/Top-Ten-Not-in-HOF-Jerry-Kramer

He is listed in the 1960's all decade team and I believe when the NFL did the 150 greatest players in the history of the league, he is the only one of the 150 that isn't in the HoF. Many of the so-called voters claim that offensive lineman don't have stats to show how good they are, yet when you think of the Packer sweep he is the one leading that play. Plus I've heard that some voters don't like too many of one team in the Hall, which has got to be the dumbest reason I ever heard.

Ray Guy, the great punter for the Raiders is another one that is being kept out by the stupid voters for the Hall. Many claim that the punter isn't an actual football position cause they don't handle the football that many times in a game, but how many times do receivers actually handle the ball in a game?, about the same as a punter. Factor in that there is an award with his name on it handed out to the top punter in college and I can't understand why he isn't in the Hall.

LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LoseEagles1245
Member since 2007 • 1115 Posts
[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Anybody? LaDainian Tomlinson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Asante Samuel, Jared Allen to name a few/MoonMarvel

Wayne has 676 receptions, Samuel has only 11 less ints than Bailey. IMO Nnamdi Asomugah hasnt done enough to get in.

Yet, Asomugha is an infinitely better CB than Samuel is.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

LoseEagles1245

Yet, No he isn't. Asomugha is overrated, I'd take Samuel over him anyday of the week against any team.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Wayne has 676 receptions, Samuel has only 11 less ints than Bailey. IMO Nnamdi Asomugah hasnt done enough to get in.MoonMarvel

Yet, No he isn't. Asomugha is overrated, I'd take Samuel over him anyday of the week against any team.

Samuel isn't even the best CB on his team... Sheldon Brown is better, although he doesn't get as many picks.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

DJ_Magneto

Well, Kruetz was just named to the all decade team, so you never know. But when I saw this topic, I immediately said Richard Dent. Glad others feel the same...I mean, come on...He's got a verse in a Grammy nominated song... The sackman's comin', I'm your man Dent. if the quarterback's slow, He's gonna get bent. We stop the run, we stop the pass, I like to dump guys on their @$$. We love to play for the world's best fans, You better start makin' Your Super Bowl plans. But don't get ready or go to any trouble Unless you practice The Super Bowl Shuffle.

I agree that Kruetz was a dominant center and WAS one of the best in the league in his heyday, top three. The argument against him, though, and I think it's valid, is that offensive linemen never get in. It's usually a pretty elite group, and some of the guys that aren't there were pretty damn good linemen. Was he one of the best for his time? Yeah, but was his best good enough to be inducted? I dunno.

LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoseEagles1245

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Wayne has 676 receptions, Samuel has only 11 less ints than Bailey. IMO Nnamdi Asomugah hasnt done enough to get in.MoonMarvel

Ask anybody that knows football (besides you) and they'll tell you the three best corners in the league are Asmugha, Woodson, and Revis. Did you see Asante get blown away by Andre Johnson in the Pro Bowl? You can't use INT's as an excuse either because QB's don't throw to Asomugha's side of the field.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"]Yet, Asomugha is an infinitely better CB than Samuel is.LoseEagles1245

Ask anybody that knows football (besides you) and they'll tell you the three best corners in the league are Asmugha, Woodson, and Revis. Did you see Asante get blown away by Andre Johnson in the Pro Bowl? You can't use INT's as an excuse either because QB's don't throw to Asomugha's side of the field.

You really can't use the pro bowl as an example. All the defense EVER does in the pro bowl is just stand there.

LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoseEagles1245

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Yet, No he isn't. Asomugha is overrated, I'd take Samuel over him anyday of the week against any team.

JML897

You really can't use the pro bowl as an example. All the defense EVER does in the pro bowl is just stand there.

I did give other examples. Plus, don't forget that Asante refuses to tackle.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

Yet, Asomugha is an infinitely better CB than Samuel is.LoseEagles1245

And yet I never used Ints in regards to Asomguha vs Samuel. But you did use a meaningless game to defend you thinking Samuel isnt any good. And why does every spell ASOMUGHA wrong?
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="JML897"]

Ask anybody that knows football (besides you) and they'll tell you the three best corners in the league are Asmugha, Woodson, and Revis. Did you see Asante get blown away by Andre Johnson in the Pro Bowl? You can't use INT's as an excuse either because QB's don't throw to Asomugha's side of the field.LoseEagles1245

Really? Your example was the pro bowl, so where are your other examples? Dont say asking other people because that isnt an example.
LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LoseEagles1245

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"][QUOTE="JML897"]

MoonMarvel

Really? Your example was the pro bowl, so where are your other examples? Dont say asking other people because that isnt an example.

I spelled it right earlier, I just missed the "o" when typing it. You were using INT's to describe Champ and Asante. Most NFL analysts say that Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha are the best corners in the league. Asante bites way too often. If he doesn't get a pick its a huge gain for the other team. Also, Asante has shown an unwillingness to tackle. It's arguable whether Asante is even the best corner on his team. Asante could make the HOF one day, but based on his career so far no. Don't even try to put him as one of the top three corners in the league.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Darryl Johnston. He was the FB for Majority of Emmit's Yards. That's quite a bit of lead blocking yards for tis guy.
JustBeingFrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JustBeingFrank
Member since 2010 • 735 Posts
Here is my top 5 of the current NFL Players : 1. Peyton Manning 2. Bret Favre 3. Randy Moss 4. Jeff Saturday 5. Drew Brees
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MoonMarvel

You were using INT's to describe Champ and Asante.LoseEagles1245

This has nothing to do with this topic.

Most NFL analysts say that Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha are the best corners in the league.LoseEagles1245

Well I better change my mind then. Listen, just because they say so doesn't make it a fact so dont use it. The fact is Samuel only gave up .58 yards moreper attempt than Woodson, so I guess Woodson bites too much.

Asante bites way too often. If he doesn't get a pick its a huge gain for the other team.LoseEagles1245

Yeah, you have obviously never seen him play.

Also, Asante has shown an unwillingness to tackle.LoseEagles1245

Ummmm.....No. Samuel is a decent tackler.

It's arguable whether Asante is even the best corner on his team.LoseEagles1245

Only by people who dont follow football and put too much importance on stats. Samuel > Brown. Samuel usally plays the other teams #1 wide out, Brown usally doesnt.

Asante could make the HOF one day, but based on his career so far no.LoseEagles1245

You have given ZERO evidence to back this up.

Don't even try to put him as one of the top three corners in the league.LoseEagles1245

:lol: So you say I shouldnt while giving ZERO evidence to back any of your claims up, so I am supposed to back down in awe? Doesnt work that way buddy! You have no right to tell anybody here what to believe. Samuel > Asomugha, Honestly, Asomugha had 4 pass deflections all year, for the so called #1 corner on the team thats terrible. More so since Revis had 31 and people contest him less and fear him more. For good reason.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monkeytoes61
MoonMarvel, look at the user name, then look at who he is bashing. He won't back down, this is a lost cause.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MoonMarvel
MoonMarvel, look at the user name, then look at who he is bashing. He won't back down, this is a lost cause.monkeytoes61
I am aware of that. I wont continue much longer. I am just stubborn.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 monkeytoes61
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]MoonMarvel, look at the user name, then look at who he is bashing. He won't back down, this is a lost cause.MoonMarvel
I am aware of that. I wont continue much longer. I am just stubborn.

Haha, fair enough.
LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LoseEagles1245

[QUOTE="LoseEagles1245"]You were using INT's to describe Champ and Asante.MoonMarvel

This has nothing to do with this topic.

Most NFL analysts say that Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha are the best corners in the league.LoseEagles1245

Well I better change my mind then. Listen, just because they say so doesn't make it a fact so dont use it. The fact is Samuel only gave up .58 yards moreper attempt than Woodson, so I guess Woodson bites too much.

Asante bites way too often. If he doesn't get a pick its a huge gain for the other team.LoseEagles1245

Yeah, you have obviously never seen him play.

Also, Asante has shown an unwillingness to tackle.LoseEagles1245

Ummmm.....No. Samuel is a decent tackler.

It's arguable whether Asante is even the best corner on his team.LoseEagles1245

Only by people who dont follow football and put too much importance on stats. Samuel > Brown. Samuel usally plays the other teams #1 wide out, Brown usally doesnt.

Asante could make the HOF one day, but based on his career so far no.LoseEagles1245

You have given ZERO evidence to back this up.

Don't even try to put him as one of the top three corners in the league.LoseEagles1245

:lol: So you say I shouldnt while giving ZERO evidence to back any of your claims up, so I am supposed to back down in awe? Doesnt work that way buddy! You have no right to tell anybody here what to believe. Samuel > Asomugha, Honestly, Asomugha had 4 pass deflections all year, for the so called #1 corner on the team thats terrible. More so since Revis had 31 and people contest him less and fear him more. For good reason.

Ok then, I guess I'm a Cowboys fan who who nevers watches the Cowboys play the Eagles. Thus, me never seeing the Cowboys beat the crap out of Asante's ass this year.