BN: Peyton Manning gets MVP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

W00t w00t! The future Hall of Famer bagged his third MVP(tied with only Brett Favre for most, though his were consecutive) today. Peyton received 32 of the 50 votes finishing above Pennington and Turner. Next up: another Super Bowl ring.

Link.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
No surprise here. They caught fire at the right moment and might be Super Bowl bound very soon, even though I would rather see the Giants and Ravens in the Super Bowl this year.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Harrison deserved it more for the season he had but Peyton is a nice guy so I don't mind it going to him
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 senses_fail_06
I would have a hard time giving it to anyone else. The Colts have won their last 9 games in a row because Peyton's 17 touchdowns and only 3 picks. He has had such little help in the rush game, and he has had to step up even more than usual. He makes his receivers awesome, no way is Gonzalez or Clark as good as they are without manning.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Harrison deserved it more for the season he had but Peyton is a nice guy so I don't mind it going to himJaysonguy

When you said Harrison, I first thought you meant Marvin Harrison and thought you've gone completely off the deep end...then I thought about it for a little while and realized you meant the linebacker from the Steelers. Oops.

And wait, Chad Pennington came in second? :| Sure he had a nice year...but second in MVP voting? Seriously?

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Harrison deserved it more for the season he had but Peyton is a nice guy so I don't mind it going to himJML897

When you said Harrison, I first thought you meant Marvin Harrison and thought you've gone completely off the deep end...then I thought about it for a little while and realized you meant the linebacker from the Steelers. Oops.

And wait, Chad Pennington came in second? :| Sure he had a nice year...but second in MVP voting? Seriously?

Because the Dolphins went from 1-15 a year ago to making the playoffs this year and he was the main reason. Had Pennington not been their QB, I doubt they would have even won 5-6 games this year. He really meant a lot to that team.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

tied with only Brett Favre for mostsenses_fail_06

Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas both have three.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 senses_fail_06

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]tied with only Brett Favre for mostOleg_Huzwog

Oh I honestly didn't look the stat up. I was just listening to ESPN on TV...interesting why the other two weren't even mentioned.
squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 squitsquat
Member since 2005 • 1990 Posts

i really don't think peyton should've gotten the mvp, i think chad pennington should've won it. to me going from 1-15 to 11-5 is more impressive than going from i think 4-4 to 12-4

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]tied with only Brett Favre for mostsenses_fail_06

Oh I honestly didn't look the stat up. I was just listening to ESPN on TV...interesting why the other two weren't even mentioned.

Perhaps they only count awards that came after the AFL-NFL merger?

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Peyton Manning is good. He will probably become one of the greatest QBs in history. He deserves it, well done.
hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hmac777
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts
Personally i would have thought that the runners-up, Pennington and Turner both deserved it more, having been instrumental in turnarounds of terrible teams, but i suppose as soon as Manning got healthy the Colts turned into a virtually unstoppable team after a floundering start
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Well deserved. They're my pick for the AFC.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
Good he deserved it over everyone. He overcame a 40+ stitches surgery, missing all of the preseason/training camp, to eventually deliever a 9 game winning streak in which he threw over 3x as many TD's as INT and threw for 73% completion
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

Correct. Favre and Manning are the only 2 players to win the NFL AP MVP award 3 times.

I really thought this year we were finally not going to see a QB win the award.

"O look guys, Manning threw touchdowns this year! Yea! MVP!"

Such a shallow award.

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
Pennington was in runnin for MVP? wow I didn't know he was having that good of a season, I never see Miami very much.
Avatar image for baseballboy6411
baseballboy6411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 baseballboy6411
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts
Peyton Manning is good. He will probably become one of the greatest QBs in history. He deserves it, well done.monkeytoes61
I agree.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
how does pennington deserve it more? sure the dolphins had a huge turnaround but joey porter, ronnie brown should deserve praise for this season, not to mention the entire dolphins team improved as a whole. The colts on the other hand have regressed IMO compared to the last couple of years - their running game was horrible, their defense was always injured and harrison is only getting older, yet manning led them in so many 4th quarter comeback/winning drives to keep the colts one of the best in the league. well deserved for manning
Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
I'm happy Peyton got it. It's a great thing for all Indy fans (including myself) but he did a lot to put this team in a position to win and make the playoffs after that horrible 3-4 start. I know that guys like Turner and Pennington helped turn their respective teams around, but this year Manning got the Colts to the Playoffs by doing everything himself. During the nine game wininng streak, with all the games before the Lions game they had won by a total of only 25 points. The defense wasn't great, and their was NO running game for him to build off of to fool with the play-action.
DarkElf2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 DarkElf2112
Member since 2008 • 892 Posts
Well deserved. He's had flashier years statistically but I think this season was his overall best work.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Good Choice, I hate Peyton Manning but he deserved it.
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
If he wasn't coming back from an injury, the Colts might be even better, and his stats might have been too. Either way, he definitely is deserving.
DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts

i really don't think peyton should've gotten the mvp, i think chad pennington should've won it. to me going from 1-15 to 11-5 is more impressive than going from i think 4-4 to 12-4

squitsquat
But he still has that terrible haircut...
Djdiddles77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 Djdiddles77
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts
Peyton deserved it! He pretty much carried the Colts this year!!!
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Oh I honestly didn't look the stat up. I was just listening to ESPN on TV...interesting why the other two weren't even mentioned.limpbizkit818

Correct. Favre and Manning are the only 2 players to win the NFL AP MVP award 3 times.

Such a shallow award.

Football is a sport where it's extremely hard for someone other than QB to win the MVP and justifiably so. QB is by far the most important position in the NFL. A great QB can impact a team much more than a great player in other positions. A non-QB player would have to play beyond superman caliber football to have the impact of a great QB. MVP is always a QB b/c the most valuable athlete in football is actually always a QB.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
No running game, a weak offensive line, having two knee surgeries during the off season, and missing the whole pre-season. Peyton deserved it.
Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
Yes! he deserved it after all the trouble this year... Go Colts...
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts
How's his O-line? If they are good, then he doesn't deserve all the praise, because if you have a good O line, it makes the QB position a lot easier. If his O-line was bad, then I guess he did do good? I don't know I haven't paid attention to the Colts.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

squitsquat
Pennington has a running game and defense manning has no running game Has no defense He threw 17 TDs and only 3 picks in that 9 game winning streak. I think Peyton was more impresive.
ganon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ganon546
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
As a Steeler fan I would have loved to see James Harrison win it, but hey congrats to Peyton, he's still one of the best players in the league.
Avatar image for StealthySniper1
StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StealthySniper1
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Oh I honestly didn't look the stat up. I was just listening to ESPN on TV...interesting why the other two weren't even mentioned.limpbizkit818

Such a shallow award.

I'm sorry what? Manning took a team that was next to last on running the football and a hurt O-Line and a banged up defense. If Manning was not playing QB, that team would have never been 12-4 or 9-7.
Avatar image for StealthySniper1
StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StealthySniper1
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
As a Steeler fan I would have loved to see James Harrison win it, but hey congrats to Peyton, he's still one of the best players in the league.ganon546
This is where people are missing on Harrison vs Manning. Manning had to do it himself. He had no running game, it was him and his wr's/te. Manning did what most can't do, teams prepared for the pass and couldn't stop, teams like Jags/Ravens couldn't stop his pass but dominated the run. Manning was that offense, he made the right calls to keep the chains moving and beat teams with his mind (short passes for the run and etc). Manning deserves it more because if they didn't have Manning they would have never been a playoff team. Where as Pitts has : Big Ben That back turned out great (moore or something) Hines Ward Holmes Sweed (growing rookie) Miller (one of the better te's) Not to mention your rookie rb with Parker for the future. Your defense is the main example, Harrison could be gone and your defense would still be OMG worthy. Harrison did have a break out season, but that defense is already great. He could have been gone and they most likely would have won. AKA when the Titans didn't have Haynesworth/KVB they still dominated on defense. 1 guy on those 2 defense wouldn't change the results, they help but not MVP worthy. Where as if Manning was not there, to be their to LEAD his team to wins (since the run game was crap.). That's why he won the award.