PS3 Netflix not streaming in HD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 testament1
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

Just got a PS3 today, set everything up with my TV...HDMI and what not. Took advantage of the free Netflix trial, but after getting that up and running, for some reason my videos aren't streaming in HD. When I hit the select button while watching a movie, it says that it's being viewed in SD/low quality.

So do I have to do something in the PS menu to allow HD streaming? Does the trial account not allow HD streaming?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
Some movies are HD, most are SD. You have to read the info on the movie to find out if its HD.
testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 testament1

Well, the movie I was watching said HD in the description, so I'm pretty sure it's an HD movie. Guess I'll try some more out, see if I can get one to come through.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gagit811

Well, the movie I was watching said HD in the description, so I'm pretty sure it's an HD movie. Guess I'll try some more out, see if I can get one to come through.

testament1
Netflix also detects your internet speed and gives you the best resolution for your net speed automatically. If the movie says HD but you're only getting SD, your net speed isn't fast enough.
testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 testament1

Hmm, well that's unfortunate. Is there anyway I can tell if my speed IS fast enough? Or what the speed requirements are for streaming HD?

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gagit811
The speed of your Internet connection affects instant watching

The video quality of the movies and television series you watch instantly on your PC will vary based on your actual Internet connection speed.

The faster your Internet connection, the better your video quality

Netflix automatically chooses the video quality to give you the best image possible based on the speed of your Internet connection. The faster your Internet connection, the higher the quality that we can deliver to you.

How the speed of your Internet connection can change

The speed of your Internet connection can change frequently based on network conditions in your residence and your Internet Service Provider's system.

If you are having problems with the speed of your connection, try the following.

Your residence
  • Check to see if others in your household are accessing the Internet while you are trying to watch a movie. Downloading music, streaming media, and online game playing can substantially reduce the amount of Internet connectivity available for watching instantly.
  • If your computer is using a wireless network connection, make sure you are close enough to your wireless LAN access point to ensure strong reception. In addition, keep in mind that use of cordless phones and microwave ovens can cause interference with wireless networks.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
  • Contact the ISP that provides your DSL, Cable, or other broadband network service and ask what speed you should be able to receive under your plan and whether you are actually receiving that speed.
Several levels of video quality

Instant watching titles are available in multiple levels of video quality. Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can't select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gagit811
To watch in HD on your TV via a Netflix Ready Device, you need the following: * An HD TV and component or HDMI connection from your Netflix ready device to your TV * A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher)
mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

I'm 20 down and 3 up - hardwired since my gigabit router is just above my PS3 on my rack - and still get SD on stuff that should be HD. It's a crap service, IMHO...

Serbo905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serbo905
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
A little late but on your computer access your Netflix account via Netflix.com then under manage account you will see > manage video qualtiy, choose the quality then next time you access via PS3 it will automatically stream in HD (Given the movie is offered in HD)
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
It may be your internet speed and it may also be the show you are watching. Try streaming the TV show Bones. That one is in HD. Also, I am assuming you did this but did you select the HD video options in the display setup?
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

I'm 20 down and 3 up - hardwired since my gigabit router is just above my PS3 on my rack - and still get SD on stuff that should be HD. It's a crap service, IMHO...

mindworm22
I have 40 down and 20 up with wifi and get HD just fine...plus before this I had 26 down 3 up and had the same quality streamed to my system.
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
A little late but on your computer access your Netflix account via Netflix.com then under manage account you will see > manage video qualtiy, choose the quality then next time you access via PS3 it will automatically stream in HD (Given the movie is offered in HD) Serbo905
I think "a little late" would be a bit of an understatement... This thread is almost a year old.
Agliolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Agliolo
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Might have been late, but it fixed the problem I was having. 25Mbps Up, 3 down and I was getting nothing but SD. The PS3 is limited by the fact it gets ZERO options. You have to adjust the setting on a PC but it worked! Thank you so much!

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

This thread just won't die! :P

vinnyw1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vinnyw1978
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
hi im havin the same problem and have tried going through my account but still plays in sd my ps3 says download speed is 445.2 kbps is that fast enough because i dont know alot about computers any help would be great thanks
wimow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wimow
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

This thread just won't die! :P

Vari3ty
Thanks to google