kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

So GT did a list of the worst ending of video games. In most cases, we try to avoid being hard on 8 and 16 bit games as there were limits to the technology of the time and after the Atari/arcade era the NES was big in that the games even had an ending.

But Sonic's had his share of lame endings. The sort of "fake out" endngs of the Adventure games in that after each charcter' story was complete you had to go back and do a "final story" which for me made those fake credits somewhat repetitive. And of course with the old school Sonic games you got a better ending for getting all the Emeralds.

So in no particular order, some of the lamest Sonic game endings.

Sonic Chaos (GG) Yeah it's kinda unfair to pick on the older Sonic games but while Sonic's other GG games had somewhat of a satisfying end, Chaos doesn't even bother. Never mind that the final Eggman encounter is super easy if you play as Tails, you beat him, you can fly and chase Eggman for a bit but all that happens after is a credit roll. If you beat with Sonic and all the Emeralds, you get the last Emerald and the credits roll.

Shadow the Hedgehog as with GT's list, there's an inherent problem with any game trying to do the moral choice thing in that all too often it really doesn't pay off. As Mass Effect fans will tell you. Despite the whole Hero/dark thing Shadow's solo outing was trying to do, in the end it doesn't pay off Why? Because once all stages are unlocked, there's a final story where Shadow saves the day anyway. So what was the point of those tedious Hero/dark missions that had you endlessly circling he stage finding the last baddie to kill? Honestly that game might have been better had they ditched the whole thing, made it a linear progression of levels leading to the ending. Plus it would've been coherent that way.

Sonic and the Secret Rings coming from the nuclear winter of Sonic 6, Rings was still in the "serious" mode unlike Black Knight which at least could poke fun at it's silliness and the banter between Sonic and Amy at the end of the credits. Secret Rings was still playing it serious. While Sharah and Sonics relationship wasn't nearly as vomit inducing as Princess Elise's the thing that kills it s "I wish for a Mountian of Hankies." What...the...f*&$?!

Sonic Chronciles: Never mind that despite the vast Sonic universe to work with, the best story Bioware could come up with was "Echidnas from Space" and the half assed attempt to mimic Mass Effect's dialouge tree or the fact that most fans thought the most interesting thing regarding the story was the idea that Amy might have a boyfriend which didn't pan out. Sonic's first true RPG ended abruptly in a cliffhanger with Eggman conquering Sonic's world while they were off in space engaging in the most anti-climatic final boss in the history of turn based RPGs. Note to devs: don't make a cliffhanger ending, unless you're certain the game will be a hit and garner sequel.

Ok, you're turn, which Sonic game had the lamest ending for you?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
Shadow the Hedgehog Sonic and the Black Knight
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#3 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sonic and the Secret Rings that was abysmal.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
How'd everyone forget Sonic '06? Never mind that it never happened, it, well, never happened...
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Sonic 2 on the GG got a Creepy Bad Ending video, just saying....
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#6 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Sonic 2 on the GG got a Creepy Bad Ending video, just saying....demoman_chaos
That has always crossed my mind but how could Robotnik manage to do something like that if Sonic has mo9re emeralds.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kbaily
Well I have a theory on the "Tails appearing before each act thing." I think Sega wanted to the GG/MS version of Sonic 2 to have Tails following Sonic around like the Genesis. This is seen with a fully rendered sprite of Tails that you see in the credits of the good ending. But my guess is the limits of the 8 bit hardware didn't allow for it. or even maybe they had considered a multiplayer mode with Tails. Just a thought. 2 things though. In the GG version, if you don't get all the Emeralds, you'll fight Metal Sonic, then go to the final world Crystal Egg Zone, play it's 2 acts, fight Robotnick, beat him where he'll run away leaving Tails in the transporter but you still get the bad ending. This is why I never thought of the "Tails dies" thing. It was only in the MS version of the same game that not getting all the Emeralds gave you the creepy death of Tails ending. Also that opening cinematic, only in the GG version.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Every last one of Shadow's endings was one of the cheesiest, most bull**** ways to end a story I've ever witnessed in a game. And I never wanna deal with them ever again. Even though I probably will get bored, masochistic, and buy the game for like 2 bucks and do it anyway.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I'm going to go on a bit of a limb and say Sonic Heroes.

1. It sets up the "death ambiguity" for Shadow that leads to his own game. 2. The fact that Sonic refers to his friends as "Sonic Heroes"... TWICE. 3. They don't solve any of the problems. Hell, what problems? Metal Sonic was mean to them, and Eggman was cloning some Shadows. Was there even any world threatening evil at all in that plot?
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cloud_765
Metal Sonic wanted to become the "ruler" of the world or something cliche like that.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kbaily

Given that compared to the 2 Adventure games that preceeded it, Sonic Heroes being multiplatform and figuring there were a lot of folks picking it up who either were unfamilar with the recent years of the Sonic universe like PS2 owning kids who this might have been their first console Sonic game or fans like myself who had stopped following the series as Sega slowly faded out of the console market. Honestly it wasn't until Heroes that I got into playing Sonic games again so I had no idea who half these new characters were. So I think Heroes was sort of a way to introduce folks to the extended cast as well as give the game a more Genesis like feel with the 2 act stage setup more familiar to the Genesis titles as well as minimal story.

What I gathered was Metal Sonic broke free from wherever Eggman keeps unused Robots but with his "destroy Sonic" programming so locks Eggman in that room. Eggman with only a communicator needs to radio for help because he knows Metal Sonic is somewhat uncontrollable because any machine with free will is eventually going to realize it doesn't have to take orders anymore (we all saw the Omnidroid in The Incredibles). I guess the only folks he could pick up were Team Chaotix though why he would have them gather hermit crabs and Chao is a mystery.

The rest of the plots involve Metal Sonic getting all of Sonic's friends to absorb their abilities to make himself stronger and some speculate this came from that magic orb you saw in Lost Labyrinth in Episode Metal of Sonic 4. Amy is just stalking Sonic and they made up a sibling for cheese and had Big lose Froggy again to give them some other motivation to tag along with Amy. While Shadow's story was a flimsy attempt to explain how he surved in SA2 and a clumsy setup for Shadow's solo outing.

That's what I gathered.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Otherwise known as, the best game ever.

I had a lot of fun with Heroes (well, except for Chaotix, but no one likes their missions). It had a more Adventure feel to me, the first one not the second one. The thing about Adventure is that essentially, that's what a 3-D classic Sonic game would look like. You have the fun looking levels, the checkered backgrounds, mostly every boss fight is Robotnik in some crazy machine, the works. That's what I always imagined a Sonic game breaking away from the Genesis would look like.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cloud_765
Bleck. Heroes was so dull when you weren't playing as Team Sonic or Team Shadow and let me tell you, Heroes was only structurally similar to the old games. Go back and play Heroes. IT HAD SO MANY INSTANT PITFALLS IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. That's nothing like the level design of the old games which were designed to simply give you a harder time on the lower paths due to them being punishment for not being skilled enough to maintain the upper path. That's clever design. Heroes was more like "Okay, so what should we put here?" "Deathtrap." "K." Remember Rail Canyon? ALMOST NO SOLID GROUND, WHATSOEVER. This is why I prefer Colors. You're not instant-killed because you can't maintain the upper path because of there being no lower path. In these non-linear levels, you have lower paths that are more punishing because you couldn't use your skills to maintain the upper path. That's clever design. Heroes lacked all sorts of clever design. Do I think Heroes is a bad game? Not at all, it's fun, and I enjoyed it. But is it a sign of what a Sonic game should be? Far from. It did nothing right that gives you that ideal Sonic game feel outside of structuring the levels in 2-act zones, that's all it did. The bosses were even more lacklustre than in Colors and that's saying something.
MagnaSonic3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MagnaSonic3000
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
Except you also hate Mario Kart Double Dash, you horriable baby killer. So I will say NEYA to your opinion of Heroes. NEYA I say.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kbaily

Hey look a troll. Hadn't seen one of those in a while. Maybe I'll make a trap and try to catch him. Quick what's a good bait for web trolls?

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
That's SonicZero's alt. :lol:
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points