Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

I know kbaily has brought this up before, so we've discussed this, but playing some Sonic recently I noticed something.

In the HD version of both Unleashed and Generations, the boost function oftentimes makes Sonic TOO FAST. I've had numerous moments where I boosted into what would be my death because Sonic was going just too fast and I couldn't see what was coming at me. This is especially true for Unleashed where the level design, although great on its own, becomes full of nothing but deathtraps when you are boosting.

What's more, is in Unleashed HD, unless you boost, you likely will not S-rank. It's more generous in Generations where while sometimes you kinda just need to use it but you can still S-rank without it since while you do get a score at the end of all stages, your rank is time-determinant, and that S-rank is very easily within reach without boosting.

I personally prefer how Colors Wii handled it. The boosting in that game was far more restrictive, forcing you to kill certain enemies in order to gain boost as opposed to doing damn near anything in the other two games, and boosting didn't seem to obsure your vision too much and everything was still usually easier to see. I noticed while it's a slight difference, boosting in Colors also does not propel Sonic NEARLY as fast as in Unleashed and in Generations.

This brings up another topic I touched upon in a comment on one of the updates I made. What if the next platforming Sonic game did without the boost? What if it just ouright said "We're giving you the level design on par with other recent Sonic titles, but you're going to play them more like the Adventure games, so no boosting." While I admit the level design of recent 3D Sonic titles (namely day-stage Unleashed, Colors, and Generations) has improved, it'd be nice to know I don't have to boost through these levels, like in Colors where exploring a level is actually HOW you get an S-rank. Maybe I want to play a level without the feeling of "If I don't press that button I'm doomed". It'd be an interesting twist to add to the next Sonic game to remove the boost from it, I'd think.

Thoughts?

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
I never played Unleashed, I've yet to play Generations, and I've never played the Adventure games. However, I've played Sonic Rush. And I don't know about Unleashed boosting, but I do know of an untold number of incidents where you run downhill, grind a rail, launch on a ramp, start spinning in circles, and then if you're not boosting, hit an enemy that takes every last one of your 150 rings away. And if you do boost, you boost off the cliff a few seconds later, after hitting the entirely redundant laser above the pit itself. I've wanted no boost just since that, I just want Spin Dash.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_765
By like the Adventure games I mean before the invention of the boost gauge. Maybe through a boarding segment in there once every few stages like the original Sonic Adventure did. It's a shame, too, I just noticed by replaying Apotos without boosting that the levels look so amazing and level design is pretty clever, but I wouldn't have known this before since all a player is supposed to do is boost all the time. I noticed even a few segments where if you don't boost, you don't have the momentum the game wants you to have, and you end up on a different route, often more platforming-focused and more difficult.
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

I never really use the boost unless if there's a line of enemies I want to get them out of my way. I like to take my time through the stages anyways. I'm not that much of a "quickster." :P

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
Honestly, in both Unleashed and Generations, as soon as it says go, I go BOOST! I will just blast off with due haste and only stop when there's platforming to do. Normally my reflexes in certain games is a few seconds off, but in Sonic games, I almost never miss a jump while boosting. I S-ranked Eggmanland while boosting once.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well this is a mixed bag, on one had the boost adds something to the gameplay of Sonic as we saw in the Rush games but at times espeically with the HD console games, the series has gotten away from being a platformer to being more of a "spam the dash button" as much as you can. Sega loves the motion blur effects but in reality Colors felt way more like the Genesis games reimagined in a modern light. And Colors had plenty of high speed moments but wasn't afraid to slow down from time to time and let gamers explore.

And Sonicphc pointed out in a blue blur of his own about how Unleashed would penalize you for not blasting through the stage in a certain amount of time whereas Color's score was based on the time you finished the level, rings collected, power ups used and so on. Getting S ranks in Colors felt more rewarding and challenging IMO than in Unleashed where it was "spam the dash power as much as you can." In a weird way and probably not Sega's intent, the limits of the Wii hardware meant they couldn't stick in their hedgehog engine to make Sonic dash his way through the stage at breakneck speed.

The old Genesis Sonic games were fast but weren't afraid to slow it down and let gamers explore, find the hidden goodies, alternate paths as opposed to just running like hell to the finish and sadly what I've seen of Generations modern stages seem to be going back to full on races though it still seems to have some branching paths and exploration but not as much as the cla$$ic Sonic or Colors Sonic.

And I am really upset that we may not see another Colors platforming Sonic and just get more of Unleashed's run like hell Sonic. But at least it's not Adventure Sonic (flame shield).

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I'm going to disagree with this, actually. I LOVE the boost gauge. I usually don's use it on my first run of a level (as, well, I'm learning the level), and I find it's not required to beat the level almost ever. However, for time-attacking, speed-running type challenges the boost gauge adds another level of skill/challenge. Speed yourself up when you want, necessitating quicker reflexes and the like. That being said, I wish they hadn't gone backwards in exploratory focus from Colors. In Colors, if you want that S the boost gauge and blinding fast times are essential, as Time Bonus is a huge component of your score, but it's not the only significant component. *shrug* Generations levels are designed so well for speed-running, though, that I'm okay with everything being time based again, for now. :)
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts
I was fine with his speed in Generations,but I hated it in Unleashed..I don't know why,maybe its the level design,and how there are less times in Generations where you need to press*insert button here* or else you fall down and lose a life.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts
I am not a fan of the quick time events in a Sonic game or games in general even if it was Sega who first introduced it (Shenmue) and while occasionally they'd have those multiple button presses in a few Colors levels, I didn't like the Unleashed ones of "hit said buttons to get to that higher platform" at least in Colors if you use the Wiimote/nunchuck combo you just hit A over and over again. From what I played in the Generations demo, it goes more for the Rush idea of just hitting various button combos you want for extra trick points as opposed to "press X not to die."
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cloud_765

I'm going to disagree with this, actually. I LOVE the boost gauge. I usually don's use it on my first run of a level (as, well, I'm learning the level), and I find it's not required to beat the level almost ever. However, for time-attacking, speed-running type challenges the boost gauge adds another level of skill/challenge. Speed yourself up when you want, necessitating quicker reflexes and the like. That being said, I wish they hadn't gone backwards in exploratory focus from Colors. In Colors, if you want that S the boost gauge and blinding fast times are essential, as Time Bonus is a huge component of your score, but it's not the only significant component. *shrug* Generations levels are designed so well for speed-running, though, that I'm okay with everything being time based again, for now. :)sonicphc
Oh I'm okay with them being time-based, I quite like how S-ranks in those games work mostly in favor of speed-runners but you can still go for score. Also, it's funny you DISAGREE with this, since in the blue blur kbaily mentioned you actually AGREED with it, but I suppose 3 years can change a person's mind. :P Also in Colors, having S-ranked the entire game myself, the score is not that large a component. The Color Bonus is by and far the largest component of your score, and you can honestly S-rank some levels before the time bonus is even applied to your score at the results screen, and rings, depending on level (a lot of levels actually), due to the 200 points just for grabbing them and another 1,000 points for each one held at the end, can also constitute a large chunk of your score. So the time is actually not too important in Colors which is actually something I liked, like Kbaily said it put emphasis on exploring a level to get the high scores, much like the Genesis games did.

Also in response to kbaily's first post, the hedgehog engine was only implemented in the HD version, the Wii version was entirely without the engine and on top of that, the levels were even more focused on pure speed since not only was your rank determined entirely by time, but unlike Generations or even HD version of Unleashed, there wasn't even a score that game.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Also, it's funny you DISAGREE with this, since in the blue blur kbaily mentioned you actually AGREED with it, but I suppose 3 years can change a person's mind.Cloud_765
Heh. I'm not that inconsistent, Cloud. The message wasn't that I didn't like the boost gauge. It was that I didn't like the "FAST FAST FAST" mantra and the pit-death being the primary killer.
Sure, both Sonic Rush games focus on going fast fast fast, and that tension gauge is a really awesome addition, but when almost every death comes from either misjudging a jump, not seeing a pit, or being knocked into a pit by an enemy, well, there's something wrong there.OldMe
[QUOTE="OldMeAgain"]Sega talks about how the old games were fast, so the fans talk about how the old games were fast, and the fact is that by today's standards the old games weren't that fast at all. However, this constant drive for "FAST FAST FAST" is forcing developers to think about ways of making it easier for players to go faster without turning Sonic into a mere racing game. Speed in the old games was a combination of fluid motion and knowing when to roll Sonic into a ball, leaving him at the mercy of physics going downhill. Speed in the new games is all about holding right and pushing a boost button. Cleverness in level design and platforming has been dropped for streamlining the ability to go fast.

Sonic Generations made the boost gauge work with the level design. There's more level design cleverness, the applications of the boost gauge are tactical, and enemy placement often actually can cause damage and the like rather than being a silly boost gauge top off and such. See: Planet Wisp.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cloud_765
Yes, but how does that "fast fast fast" mantra come about? While it was always there, you noticed it really got pushed when the games began using the boost function. :P
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

While I know some people either love or hate the boost, I don't think we should get rid of it completely.

Personally, I think they should replace the Slide with the Spin Dash, and make sliding something Sonic does when he tries to slow down.

Also, in Sonic Unleashed, trying to speed run a level will only give you a B Rank in the HD version.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Haven't I been saying this EXACT thing since Unleashed came around? There is a difference between raw speed and fluidity. The older games were more about fluidity rather than just the MPH. They weren't ridiculously fast, but they felt that way due to strong level design.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#15 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

I like the boost.

I like the single button spin dash.

[spoiler] I like the homing attack for retro sonic [/spoiler]

I like the S ranks being based on time and ring count rather than more score like in colors.

The levels are designed really well so that you can go fast AND do jumpy things.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
I don't think Generations is that fast, in fact it's just the right amount of speed. :D
zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts
Maybe the massive speed has it's drawbacks, but it's pros outweigh the cons, and it's what makes Sonic popular.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 macrules_640
No matter what, Sonic always has his speed, and that's what makes him unique among most other characters. :D
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mariostar0001
And that's likely why I still prefer Mario, I don't prefer the insane speed. /troll accusations :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Soniczero1993

You sir are the most evil troll to ever live, and for that, you shall go to Hell.

Because God is a Sonic fan.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mariostar0001
God looks down at the little Mario versus Sonic debate and laughs, because he knows how little it ultimately matters.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Soniczero1993

Yes, for he accepts that Sonic is better. Because Mario doesn't have Chaos Emeralds.

:3

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 macrules_640
And besides Sonic's invincible form is more useful that Mario's. :P
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 demoman_chaos
It also has better music. The Mario Land invincibility sounds extraordinarily familiar, does anyone know what the devil they ripped it from?
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 macrules_640
I don't know myself, but it does sound familiar. :P
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 demoman_chaos
After some research, it appears to be the Can-Can. The song showgirls dance to, with the leg kicking.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 macrules_640
Hmm, I wonder if the Super Sonic music is what people feel when they get a sugar rush? :P
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
Meh, Koji Kondo is better. :P
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 macrules_640
He's stayed with Mario and composed the music all the time. :P
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Soniczero1993

Meh, Koji Kondo is better. :Pwhite_kunoichi

F*** him, SEGA has always had better music.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#31 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts
He's stayed with Mario and composed the music all the time. :Pmacrules_640
and Zelda.Tingle is also based off of him,making him twice as more awesome.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Soniczero1993

Ew, Mario is related to Tingle?

RUINED FOREVER!

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 macrules_640
That makes Mario even more creepy now! :P
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_765
Are we talking about video game music? I could post a wall of music from ZUN and confuse you all right about now...