Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 3DS) 

From Sonic Retro: "Another year, another insatiable urge for Sega to release a brand new iteration of Sonic 1. Launching May 15 in Japan, Sonic 1 joins Super Hang-On and Space Harrier as the first three 3D Classic Mega Drive remakes for the Nintendo 3DS. This is to commemorate the Mega Drives 25th Anniversary in Japan.

While this isnt particularly thrilling news, and especially on the toes that Christian The Taxman Whitehead is at work on a Sonic 1 remake for Sega along with the Sonic Scene enigmatic man known as Stealth, the game will follow the line of other 3D Classic series titles on the 3DS that uses the systems 3D features to add depth to the the games background.
As for whats included in this particular version of Sonic 1, expect exciting new features such as the never-been-added-before Spin Dash Attack and special animations on Green Hill Zones clouds and Labyrinth Zones rippled water. Oh, and some nonsense about customizable controls and CLASSIC display mode, which makes the game look like youre playing it right off a CRT TV running the Mega Drive via its RF Adapter.

For the audiophiles, a mode is also included to adjust the balance of  the PSG and FM audio. On top of that, players can choose Mega Drive 1 sounding balance or Mega Drive 2.

While the core Sonic 1 experience is still the same as ever, the added features for general Mega Drive 3D Classic remakes are actually pretty neat, and certainly better influenced than Nintendos own 3D Classic outings."

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
"never-been-added-before Spin Dash Attack" They never played the GBA version did they?
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
There are two kinds of Sonic fans - those that master sarcasm, and those that get wooshed. ;) In other news, why do we keep re-releasing Sonic 1? Why not give 2, 3, or K the same treatment? The level design and some of the boss fights in 1 really haven't aged as well as the others. I'm looking at you, Scrap Brain...
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I thought that was sarcasm myself, but it was hard to tell based on the overall weird grammar.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 demoman_chaos
Why does Knux Chaotix get ignored so much? It needs a rerelease.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Why does Knux Chaotix get ignored so much? It needs a rerelease.demoman_chaos

Seriously Sega? WTF? I mean yes having Sonic 1 on the 3DS (and I'm sure the sequels will follow) is nice but we all have 20 other versions of it on everything with a screen meanwhile we're all sitting around wondering why the hell Knuckles Chaotix is unavailable. I mean you brought Sonic the Fighters to the download services. And don't give us that "it's hard to emulate" crap. The Saturn was hard to emulate supposedly but Nights is there for download.

If not Chaotix then at least give WiiU owners Sonic Adventure 1, and 2.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Heh. I think I might go play Chaotix to cope with the drought... If there's one re-release I could see being enhanced by online play, chaotix would be it. Obviously it's best local, but playing remote with some voice chat would make for some darn fun times.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 demoman_chaos
I played through Chaotix with a friend, and it really lived up to its name. We beat the game (just 1 ring shy of the good ending, not bad for first timers I'd say), but didn't really see much of the level as we spent most of our time getting thrown around by the rubber band feature (single player means you really do have rubber band AI :P) while mainly just aiming the chaos in the general direction of up and to the right.
Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts
For the audiophiles, a mode is also included to adjust the balance of the PSG and FM audio. On top of that, players can choose Mega Drive 1 sounding balance or Mega Drive 2.sonictrainer

That settles it. This will be the definitive version of Sonic 1 for these features alone! :P

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 3D effect combined with the parallax scrolling. *thinks back to Mighty Switch Force* Hopefully it's not riddled with frame-rate issues though. Or bugs. Or the usual emulation inconsistencies that seem to always pop up in Genesis ports. This was only announced a week before its release, and that bothers me. :?

My guess is that Sega is waiting to release all of its 3D Genesis games in America next year, to coincide with the Genesis' 25th anniversary here. But hopefully we get them sooner, of course. I'll gladly buy all of them, as I did with Nintendo's 3D Classics series. In the meantime, Sega, put some freakin' Game Gear games on the US eShop. Even if it's Sonic Labyrinth. Just give us something. :(

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonictrainer

From the Sonicstadium:

"If you happen to have access to the Japanese Nintendo E-Shop, you might be interested to know that the 3DS version of Sonic 1 has just been released. The game costs 600 Yen (which is 6 US dollars) and can be found in the recent digital only section of the store.

As of yet theres no official screenshots but that hasnt stopped someone from uploading one or two screens of the game. According to one user the game has a few more breakable walls which are most likely included due to the spindash being in this version, as well as a fish eye lense feature.

There is one odd change to the game. You can start a game as normal which puts you in Green Hill Zone Act 1. Or you can pick DLC mode which brings you to a level select and sound test screen. Yes, the famous Sonic 1 level select is now a seperate option in the game as apposed to a code you input.

No sign of this version being released in the west just yet, although the Stealth-Tax versions of Sonic 1 & 2 are still headding our way."

-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -SpikyBlueHero-

Cool. Sounding more and more like Sega put a half-decent amount of effort into this. 

No sign of this version being released in the west just yet, although the Stealth-Tax versions of Sonic 1 & 2 are still headding our way."sonictrainer

An updated version of Sonic 2 is also coming to iOS along with the first game? This is news to me! :) Now watch as Sega passes up yet another opportunity to sell ports of 3/Knuckles on a portable device. Sonic Classic Collection doesn't seem like it did those two justice, although I admit I've never played it.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kbaily

Cool. Sounding more and more like Sega put a half-decent amount of effort into this.

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]No sign of this version being released in the west just yet, although the Stealth-Tax versions of Sonic 1 & 2 are still headding our way."-SpikyBlueHero-

An updated version of Sonic 2 is also coming to iOS along with the first game? This is news to me! :) Now watch as Sega passes up yet another opportunity to sell ports of 3/Knuckles on a portable device. Sonic Classic Collection doesn't seem like it did those two justice, although I admit I've never played it.

Sonic Classics Collection is not bad to have if you want the Genesis originals on the go on a device that has actual buttons, not crummy touch screen fake buttons. You get Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles plus the add ons of Knuckles with Sonic 3 and 2 (no blue spheres sorry) and unlike the Mega Collection you don't have to get all the emeralds in another game to play Sonic 2 as Knuckles as Sonic 3 + Knuckles. Though the only reason for owning this is if you absolutely have to have the Genesis Sonic on the go. Seriously we all probably have the original trilogy on some other device in our homes at this point. Give it time and I'm sure the originals will show up on the WiiU eshop as well.

-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -SpikyBlueHero-

Well, if I find it for cheap I might pick it up, thanks. :)

Now if only Sega would port Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection to the Vita. It's a no-brainer.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
No SEGA, don't do it! Flee from the Vita! It's trash.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 DocEggmanNega
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
"never-been-added-before Spin Dash Attack" They never played the GBA version did they? demoman_chaos
Or the Sonic Jam version, lol.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sonictrainer

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/07/18/sega-3d-classic-series-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/

The English Version is coming Soon 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kbaily

[QUOTE="demoman_chaos"]"never-been-added-before Spin Dash Attack" They never played the GBA version did they? DocEggmanNega
Or the Sonic Jam version, lol.

I think they were trying to remove memories of Sonic Genesis from our minds. Rightly so.