sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Today, on Nintendo Direct, it was revealed that there will be another Mario and Sonic game.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Bloody eff, can't they just make a bloody crossover platformer and stop with the gimmicky mini-game tripe?
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#3 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Bloody eff, can't they just make a bloody crossover platformer and stop with the gimmicky mini-game tripe?demoman_chaos

Well Sega claims they met with Nintendo and didn't think they 2 gameplay styles would "mesh" properly. Still why not an RPG or fighting game or something.

Though this recent announcement has pretty much ensured Sonic's in the next Smash Bros.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demoman_chaos
I call horseapples on that. Sonic Adventure style would meld very very well with Mario's style. SA wasn't really that fast, like the Genesis games it was just fluid. Make it like SA2, Sonic path and a Mario path.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I think that the health system (rings versus a meter), the difference in physics (and physics engines), and the fact that most everything Mario did Sonic did differently (item boxes, wall jumping, attacking) means that the systems overall just would not provide a good single system. The option to do both in the same game is available, but then it's really just Mario and Sonic in their own games with a similar story, which is really a waste.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 demoman_chaos
They had no troubles with that in SA2, remember the health meter for Tails and Robotnik? I really don't see any complications, especially with the machines of today.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
I do. It's called Mario is slow. If I know SEGA, they'll blend the world's together Sonic Rush style, and there's no way Mario can go up loops. On top of that, as of Sonic Unleashed, Sonic can do everything Mario can, but 5 times faster. He can wall jump very fast, his stomp attack doesn't delay like Mario's ground-pound and hits the ground mere milliseconds later, and he has a boost.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 demoman_chaos
Fun Fact: Mario in SMB1 is faster than Sonic.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Soniczero1993
Fun Fact: Not in the modern games.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbaily

Well honestly I was expecting to see this, just a matter of when. Though I wonder if they'll bother adding anything new like new playable characters or you know ONLINE PLAY. Seriously everyone makes these mini game collections and none of them are online. But will be interesting to see what Sega does with the Gamepad/Wiimote multiplayer setup.

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 DocEggmanNega
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

[QUOTE="demoman_chaos"]Bloody eff, can't they just make a bloody crossover platformer and stop with the gimmicky mini-game tripe?kbaily

Well Sega claims they met with Nintendo and didn't think they 2 gameplay styles would "mesh" properly. Still why not an RPG or fighting game or something.

Though this recent announcement has pretty much ensured Sonic's in the next Smash Bros.

I remember reading that. Itr was a load of crap since they could easily mesh two types of platformers and have them compliment one another. We may see a different type of rivalry game soon. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kbaily

My idea for a great Mario/Sonic Crossover

Paper Mario: The Sonic Chronicles

While I don't think Sticker Star is the horrid thing, some are making it out to be, I am quite ready for Nintendo to get back to making a more traditional Mario RPG. Paper Mario was the series that tended to break Mario out of his complacent "Bowser kidnaps the Princess" straightforward storyline of the platformers and more importantly the Mario RPGs in general poked fun at the clichés of the series and for me Thousand Year Door was the peak of that series and one of my favorite Mario games with a surprisingly dark story.

Since Sega and Nintendo think the two platforming styles wouldn't gel, an RPG would be a nice alternative. Plus I want to see cute, chibi paper versions of the Sonic characters.

The story goes that Mario and Luigi hear that Bowser has kidnapped Peach so they rush to Bowser's castle to save her only to have Bowser trap them with his newest plan, with the help of Kammy and Kameck, they attempt to suck Mario and Luigi into a parallel dimension but it goes wrong and they all get sucked in. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and all his troops. Mario crash lands in Mobius Yes I still say Sonic lives in Mobius and if you try to correct me YOU ARE WRONG!! Sonic finds Mario lying there and takes him back to his village where some of his friends are. Eventually they learn about what happens and Sonic tells Mario that the way to get him home is to find the Chaos Emeralds. So instead of looking for Mario's plot Maguffins, we're looking for Sonic's plot maguffins. Stars. Emeralds. They're both like the Tessarac which basically can do whatever the writers want it to.

So Mario's sidekicks for this outing are, Sonic and friends who each use their special powers to assist Mario both traveling and in battle. Soanyone who played the first 2 Paper Marios knows exactly how this would work. Sonic could carry Mario quickly like the baby Yoshi in Thousand year door. Tails fly Mario over gaps. Amy uses her hammer to smash switches and such. You get the idea. You get to fight both Eggman robots and Mario baddies. Mario traverses Sonic themed levels like Green Hill, etc.

Meanwhile Bowser meets up with Eggman and they decide they can team up and conquer both worlds. Peach is still captured but maybe we can get back to her getting to do something like send messages to Mario. Even better I figured out a great part for Luigi. Those who played Super Paper Mario will love this. Mr. L returns!! Luigi after landing in Mobius, loses his memory and is found by Eggman robots, Bowser realizes this can work to his advantage, they convince Luigi he's Mr. L, Eggman makes him a new mech and he sets out to stop Mario and Sonic.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kbaily

Jim of Jimquisition and Yahtzee are doing their new show which they do poems. This one was about Sonic and Mario.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular/7351-Because-I-Could-Not-Stop-For-Loading-Times

Yahtzee's was rather profound taking from Mario's POV of a famous man growing tired in his old age where Jim's is mostly taking a jab at the Sonic fans who whined about everything in Sonic 4.

These weren't bad but their more recent "Xbox One Flew over the Cucco's Nest" takes the cake.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kbaily
Also I was rather surprised there was no footage of this game at E3 whatsoever. I know it's not one of the ones anyone's making a big deal over but you'd think Sega would've had it at their demo booth.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Well, I don't think there was anything new to show. The played the whole E3 demo a week in advance for IGN, and we've watched that already.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

Well here's some screens just to keep this thread relevant.

715774_20130611_790screen006.jpg

Hockey on a tropical island. Makes perfect sense given the last Dream Hockey was in Bowser's castle.

715774_20130611_790screen007.jpg

You do see the HD jump well here. More textures on the snow. Smoother shading on Shadow. Nicer draw distance but as I said in a blog, while seeing the nicer shading and textures and lighting effects is nice, Nintendo's jump to HD doesn't seem that big given Mario and Sonic characters have always had a simplistic design showing that maybe graphical capabilities have hit the plateau where the changes aren't that noticeable as they once were.

715774_20130611_790screen001.jpg

This kinda makes sense when you think about it. Sonic's the young, hip teenager so he snowboards while Mario's the middle aged rich guy who skis.

715774_20130611_790screen002.jpg

Villians unite! Though I wonder if there will be some silly story about Bowser and Eggman stealing snow again like in the DS game?

715774_20130517_790screen002.jpg

Aaaaan do we have to discuss what's wrong with this picture? OMG Peach IS Bowser Jr.'s mom after all!!

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Soniczero1993
Can't really upgrade graphics-wise with character who aren't supposed to look realistic. Yeah you can give them more detail, but unless you want a really screwed up looking Mario or another Sonic 06, you can't go any farther.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts
New Trailer that shows some features of the game: http://youtu.be/TWnmi0JL5h0#aid=P8bQlnQg8fg
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kbaily

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]New Trailer that shows some features of the game: http://youtu.be/TWnmi0JL5h0#aid=P8bQlnQg8fg[/QUOTE]

Oh my God they FINALLY put online multiplayer in this. Bout damn time! Now I'm moderately interested. We could do a Sonicspot tournament though that involves us actually wanting to get this title. I think we'll all be more interested in Sonic Lost World.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]New Trailer that shows some features of the game: http://youtu.be/TWnmi0JL5h0#aid=P8bQlnQg8fg[/QUOTE]

Oh my God they FINALLY put online multiplayer in this. Bout damn time! Now I'm moderately interested. We could do a Sonicspot tournament though that involves us actually wanting to get this title. I think we'll all be more interested in Sonic Lost World.

kbaily
Also involves us organizing after the union shuts down, but I'd be game... if I end up picking up the title. MASATSOWG (these acronyms keep getting better) doesn't look super appealing when I already own the first two.