Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Again, I am bored and felt like asking the union what they believe is Sonic's best rival. A poll is included however I'm sure someone may have an outside-the-box choice so there's an Other there. Who do you think? Personally I always liked Shadow or Metal Sonic as the rival, but that's just how I grew up on the series.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#2 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Metal Sonic feels like the idea "rival" as he was created to be a rival. Also it shows Eggman the problem of creating a robot that's too intelligent because any machine with free will, will eventually get the idea that he doesn't need to be taking orders and at times Metal Sonic does go against Eggman.

Also he's the only consistent villain in the series besides Eggman since Knuckles and Shadow both turned into good guys.

Plus we all got annoyed with Knuckles being reduced to "Sonic's thug." Now he's just some idiot who goes around punching things.

While Shadow was toned back, he basically epitomized what stupid 12 year olds think is cool.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Tails should be on there, as there were debates about if he was the better one to play as or if Sonic was. I always picked Tails when I was young, before I knew about Super Sonic (I avoided the special stages because I lost all my rings).
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Tails should be on there, as there were debates about if he was the better one to play as or if Sonic was. I always picked Tails when I was young, before I knew about Super Sonic (I avoided the special stages because I lost all my rings).demoman_chaos

But Tails was never seen as a "rival" to Sonic. He was always promoted by Sega in fact as a sidekick. That's like saying Robin is Batman's rival. Sorry. He's not.

A rival has to be someone Sonic fought against in the main story of a Sonic game (no one counts Rivals on the PSP). When Sonic first encountered Knuckles, Knuckles was trying to stop what he thought was a threat to his island. Metal Sonic was designed by Eggman to be the mechanical equal to Sonic in order to stop him. Shadow looked like Sonic and was more powerful than him and originally wanted to destroy the planet and would fight anyone who tried to stop him including Sonic. Also with Shadow we learned that Sonic wasn't the only one with the ability to use the Emeralds to turn super (given Sega seems to disregard the hyper Knuckles and Tails thing).

Silver was originally sent into the past to kill Sonic with the idea that Sonic was responsible for destroying the future.

In order for a character to be a "rival" to Sonic, they have to have the motivation to beat Sonic. Tails has been motivated to not only help Sonic when he can but aspires to be like him. I don't recall a single "main" Sonic game that had Tails willingly wanting to beat Sonic and prove he was better. Spinoffs and multiplayer modes don't count.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
CRASH BANDICOOT (or, you know, Metal Sonic. Hyper intelligent, and physically competitive with Sonoc by design. This is no more perfect a rival than that)
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
I take it you forget the Tails Levels in Sonic Adventure where your objective was to beat Sonic in a race.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Oh. I didn't notice Silver option. I should have voted that... [spoiler] ...Just to annoy Cloud. :P [/spoiler]
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

I take it you forget the Tails Levels in Sonic Adventure where your objective was to beat Sonic in a race.demoman_chaos

That was gameplay padding, that wasn't really anything to do with Tails wanting to beat Sonic. SEGA probably thought Tails needed to have a different gameplay from Sonic even though he's just as fast and goes through pretty much the same levels barring a few like Emerald Coast. They made it a race because they wanted to incorporate Tails' flying in some way.

So no, I don't consider that counting. 

Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts
Metal Sonic, of course!