raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

It is a brand new product with built-in games plus, compatible with original cartridges ( if I happen to find some games not available in those built in games ). Of course, from a strict purist point of view it´s an aberration but, well, all I want to do is play games.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

The audio and the controllers of those knock offs always suck, and looking at the game list for that thing, it doesn't look all that appealing either. My recommendation is just to get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection if getting a real model 1 is out of the question.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Getting a real genesis doesn't really break the bank. Most of the good games are very reasonably priced as well. I avoid emulation and this type of stuff at all costs.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I've never had trouble finding OG Genesis's on the market. That being said - IF the hardware is ok on that then it's an appealing package. If you want my advice: see if you can find a display model in BB&B (they sell them there) and decide if 1) it feels and sounds good enough for you and 2) if you actually want a lot of the bundled games.
- in my experience, many of the old Genesis/SNES games AREN'T worth playing any more - so make sure you aren't paying for 80 bundled games you don't actually want to play. I've had much more joy with my MK1 and a small hand-picked collection that I grow slowly based on games I actually want to play.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I would pass for physical copies of as many games as I can handle instead of emulation.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Just get an og Genesis and an Everdrive and you're good to go.

Didn't even know GS had a retro section. Is this new ?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I would just buy the real thing.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@bussinrounds said:

Didn't even know GS had a retro section. Is this new ?

Yup :-) They've introduced a number of new sections

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@bussinrounds: YUP, brand spankin' new.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#10 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I've played one of those things before. It kept resetting, for some reason. I'm not sure if all these things are that faulty or it was just that particular console. Thankfully, it wasn't mine.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Smell that brand spankin' new smell people, nothings better!

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

I would pass, TC. If you're determined to play the cartridges I would recommended just picking up an actual Genesis. Genesis collecting is not overly expensive at this time, thankfully. Otherwise there are better options if you're just looking for an emulated collection (like sonics gen collection mentioned earlier).

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Products like this--they lose a lot of what the system offers. The games tend to play differently and the sound is generally atrocious. Even within the official releases the genesis varied greatly, especially in terms of audio--something the genesis excelled at. Go with a Model 1 "hd graphics" version. Best version of the console.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

This should be fine. It is a rebadged Sega Genesis Fire Core, Sort of like when Brazil offered Sega Masters Systems after Sega released Sega Master System 1 and Sega Master system 2. In Brazil there was Sega Master System 3 and 4 later dropping the numbering system from these rebadged Systems. Which also came with Built in games.

So this is the same thing but with the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive. Sega only released the Sega Genesis 1 and Sega Genesis 2, Sega Genesis 3 was released by Magessco with Sega's blessing, Sega Genesis 4 Fire Core was released by Tec Toy and works with original Sega Genesis carts.

The downside is the light weight of the Fire Core which ends up in the console being yanked off the table/television stand and having the game reset or glitch freeze.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I was never a huge Genesis fan, and it looks like this includes most of the Sonic the Hedgehog games, and probably other first-party things like Vectorman and Golden Axe... Possibly some Phantasy Star... Probably most of the big hits. So IMO I'd just get this instead of shelling out for an old Genesis.

EDIT: They also have this:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Heirren said:

Products like this--they lose a lot of what the system offers. The games tend to play differently and the sound is generally atrocious. Even within the official releases the genesis varied greatly, especially in terms of audio--something the genesis excelled at. Go with a Model 1 "hd graphics" version. Best version of the console.

This, I have a Model 1 with HD and it sounds amazing!!! Also I don't trust these systems as well.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Agreed with the above, better to get the actual console. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection would also be a great pick up, can't go wrong with over 40 Sega games for around $20.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Honestly you far better off buying the Genesis collections on PS3/Xbox 360 or the PS4 collection