psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

It's not underrated because it is critically acclaimed, so that wouldn't be the correct term. I don't get why it's always overshadowed by Final Fantasy VII when IX is more critically acclaimed (it's the highest rated PS1 Final Fantasy game on Gamerankings).

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

FFVII is the most well know game of the franchise but that doesn't make IX overlooked imo. Tons of people have played it and I've often seen it on best RPG lists.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

IX is my favorite Final Fantasy game. I think VII is so popular because it's had the most hype....I have no idea. It was on Nintendo for so long and the first to be in 3D. I guess it was a big deal.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Timing is an issue. It came out after the PS2 launched, so the masses missed out on it or just ignored it altogether. That and it didn't have the hype of FF7.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

FF IX is great.

But FF VII was a revolution.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

IX is my fav too.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

When FFVII came out, the cut scenes blew people's minds. Non-RPG fans bought it just because the trailers looked so good. It's funny to think because they are sooo dated now, but at the time we'd never seen anything like it. IX was probably the better game, but VII brought the whole genre from niche to mainstream. Hard to compete with that kind of hype.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

FFIX gets so much love that it might be time that we start calling FFVII under appreciated.

FFVIII is almost universally ignored now it seems which is a shame as I think it has the most interesting combat out of the three.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Every FF community I go on, people always claim that FFIX is the best game in the series while the game is not really that great.

Nobody rates it so low to begin with. How can something getting praised to the moon and being underrated at the same time? Doesn't make any sense. It clearly is more overrated than FFVII. I haven't heard many FFVII fans going around shouting it's the best in the series in a very long time. It used to be like that around 10 years ago but now it's FFIX fans replacing those people.