What's your favorite Mega Man series?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll What's your favorite Mega Man series? (16 votes)

Mega Man Classic 19%
Mega Man X 69%
Mega Man Zero 0%
Mega Man ZX 0%
Mega Man Legends 6%
Mega Man Battle Network 6%
Mega Man Star Force 0%

I love the Mega Man games, and one of the best parts about them is that there are so many. For me, ranking my favorites by series goes:

1. X
  2. Classic
  3. ZX
  4. Legends
  5. Zero

I feel like the classic games are consistently great, but the X series has higher highs, even if it also consists of some the worst Mega Man games, *cough* X6 and X7 *cough.* X1, X2, and X4, however, are just too ridiculously good, and I find myself going back to them all of the time. I also prefer the tighter gameplay of the X series over the classic's, specifically the dashing and wall jumping.

The ZX series I feel is very underrated, and if there was a third game that finished the saga, I'd be tempted to put them above the classics too. The gameplay is just as good as X's, and arguably even better because biometal ZX gives you the best both of both worlds by combing X's and Zero's combat styles. The other cool feature is the other biometals that you earn by beating bosses provide their own unique playing styles rather than just giving simple weapon upgrades. The music, especially in the first game, is amazing. I mean, just listen to this:

I know that's the OST version, but it's such a joy to listen to both variations of the whole soundtrack. Again, I think the ZX games are so underrated.

The Legends games are bittersweet to play, because like the ZX series, they end on a cliffhanger. Still, they're such fun rides as all of the games are packed with such personality. The Bonne family are my favorite villains out of all the Mega Man games, because of how funny and likable they are. Gameplay wise, the Legends series has aged, but if you can get past that, they provide a similar experience to Zelda. Not too long ago Capcom put up Legends 1 and the Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN, and I'm hoping that Legends 2 is soon to follow.

Now finally comes the Zero series. Gameplay wise, they're as good as X and ZX, but I seriously wish I could customize the controls. The GBA didn't have enough buttons, so playing them always felt awkward to me, and unfortunately they still do on the DS collection since no new options were added. My other gameplay related issue is the whole cyber elf thing. There's so many of them to collect, and yet the games punish you for using them, even going as far as to deny you weapon upgrades. It's just kind of a mess of a system, because a player with any sort of pride is going to end up ignoring all of the cyber elves despite the clear amount of effort the designers put into them. My last problem with the Zero series has to do with the story and theme, because they're just so dark, like really, really over the top dark. So many people die, including X and Zero, and so the whole experience comes off as too "try-hard" for me. It also doesn't help that Zero's personality has been downgraded to that of a rock's (no pun intended). Honestly, the Zero series to me is the equivalent of the Shadow the Hedgehog of the Mega Man games, except that they're actually good.

So anyway, that's how my rankings go, so how about yours?

• 
suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I'll be honest, I have MM 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, X, Legends, Legends 2 and one or two others, and I have never played any of them. :(

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
@suicidesn0wman said:

I'll be honest, I have MM 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, X, Legends, Legends 2 and one or two others, and I have never played any of them. :(

You're missing out! I'd give at least X and MM 2 & 3 a try since they're probably the most popular Mega Man games in general.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

I'd put the X and Zero series towards the top for me. I never got to get hands-on time with the ZX games (which is something I do want to do when I return to DS games). You point out one thing about the franchise I've always held as true, every Mega Man series has some fantastic tracks. Whether it be the classics, the X series (geez I love the X series OSTs), or so on, they've always had some really good VGM.

I'm looking forward to the 3DS Legacy Collection next week (though I wish it stacked up more to the old GC/PS2/XB Collection), I do wish there was a true portable X Collection as well though.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@Exceed20XX said:

I'd put the X and Zero series towards the top for me. I never got to get hands-on time with the ZX games (which is something I do want to do when I return to DS games). You point out one thing about the franchise I've always held as true, every Mega Man series has some fantastic tracks. Whether it be the classics, the X series (geez I love the X series OSTs), or so on, they've always had some really good VGM.

I'm looking forward to the 3DS Legacy Collection next week (though I wish it stacked up more to the old GC/PS2/XB Collection), I do wish there was a true portable X Collection as well though.

Yeah, MM consistently has good music. Heck, even X6 has a great soundtrack.

I'd love for Capcom to make a new X collection too. Hopefully, they get on that since the Legacy Collection seemed to do reasonably well even if it was missing all of the post NES games.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I love Classic, X, and Legends. Not going to rank them but if I had to pick one as my favorite I think I would go with X. I enjoyed titles in both Zero and Battle Network as well but neither of those would rank close to the others. I need to go back and play ZX, I tried either one or both of them but don't remember it very well.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

X or the Gameboy pocket game.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

X baby!

allissasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 allissasaurus
Member since 2016 • 32 Posts

This was a tough question, but I voted Mega Man X series. I have to say that I love the classic games (II was my fave) and Mega Man Legends as well.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Mega Man X probably. My favorite of the series is X8. I played that one that more than any other Mega Man game. I did play a number of the Battle Network games on GBA, which were pretty fun.