What was your top Retro Gaming Magazines?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56342 Posts

Now back then, gaming Magazines were still a thing in the 90s they were awesome since we didn't have Internet and what a great way to get all the information gaming on a magazine. Unfortunately most of the gaming mags have discontinue and now, they are a thing in the past. So with that, what was your favorite gaming magazine and what was your first mag? I started with Tips N Tricks follow by Gamers Republic. Note to Mods, I wasn't sure if discussing video game magazine is cool on this forum but if it doesn't meet it's rules, then I can understand.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I never really stuck to just one magazine or two, we had a few.

The ones I really remember are Game Informer, EGM, Gamerpro, and Nintendo Power.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14822 Posts

I only have a couple issues of Gamepro. I never really bothered with them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto: Those are all cool. I only had 3 Computer Gaming World mags but never subscribe to them.

@SOedipus said:

I only have a couple issues of Gamepro. I never really bothered with them.

I only had 8 Gamepro mags as well but they didn't offer that much information game details that much so yeah, I didn't bother with them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41571 Posts

Nintendo Power

Moonco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Moonco  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 3848 Posts

My elementary school teacher wanted us to read more (probably thought we were lazy lol) so she left a stack of GamePro #1 on the shelve that we could take home. I still have the first issue but the pages are all bent and the cover is torn off. This was probably my favorite magazine because of all the fighting game coverage.

Nintendo Power was another favorite. My parents subscribed so I could get the free copy of Dragon Warrior. I stayed with the magazine for one year (issues 19-30) until Santa bought me a Sega Genesis. All the issues are still on my bookshelf collecting dust lol. I liked the strategy guides that showed entire level maps and the comics.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

I never really stuck to just one magazine or two, we had a few.

The ones I really remember are Game Informer, EGM, Gamerpro, and Nintendo Power.

Keep in mind that some or most of those magazines have websites today. Try putting a .com after the names of these. Game Informer is still around and has a website today.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@davillain- said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Those are all cool. I only had 3 Computer Gaming World mags but never subscribe to them.

I subscribed only to Amiga World and Computer Gaming World. The rest were pretty common in magazine racks right up to their last issues.

I never kept any issue which I am now regretting. That can't be helped because I moved around a lot back then.

Although they were all my favorites, I have to cite PCXL for the sheer content the magazine discs contained.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#10 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Mine were both PlayStation Power and Official UK PS1 Magazine

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

GamePro is my Favorite Old School Videogame magazine. It was the best in the 80's and early 90's. It could be considered the Gamespot of it's time. But is now extinct. Along with Arcades. Atari and many others in the videogame universe

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Tips & Tricks was always my go-to magazine. The yearly cheat code book was great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Electronic Gaming Monthly. Man, that magazine was the size of a Sears catalogue every month back in the day.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Gamepro, Tips and Tricks, and Official PlayStation Magazine. Game Informer became my favorite and I still subscribe to that magazine.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

@davillain-: I need to track down some back issues of Gamers Republic. Looks like it was a good mag. Love the D2 cover.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@ChiefFreeman: Gamers Republic was really awesome to that regards and it introduce me to get a first look at the Dreamcast.

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nintendo Power

@Moonco said:

My elementary school teacher wanted us to read more (probably thought we were lazy lol) so she left a stack of GamePro #1 on the shelve that we could take home. I still have the first issue but the pages are all bent and the cover is torn off. This was probably my favorite magazine because of all the fighting game coverage.

Nintendo Power was another favorite. My parents subscribed so I could get the free copy of Dragon Warrior. I stayed with the magazine for one year (issues 19-30) until Santa bought me a Sega Genesis. All the issues are still on my bookshelf collecting dust lol. I liked the strategy guides that showed entire level maps and the comics.

Nintendo Power was really awesome and came in handy when I didn't know much on there exclusives guiding for help. Pokemon Red/Blue tips was totally worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Many were pretty good but if I had to pick my few favorites.

Had mountains of these things. About ten years of egm, a lot of the Game Players--the entire "Ultra" Game Players variant, and the entire Official Dreamcast Magazine run. I'd like to say I regret tossing them all as I'd like to flip through old game mags sometimes, but it was simply too much heavy clutter. I know there are preservation sites but I find the download process cumbersome for some reason.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

EGM was my bible for fighting games. Mainly Street Fighter though. I was hooked on that thing bad. I learned how to do a dragon punch thanks to this magazine. I lorded it over my cousin when I learned how to do it. He got mad.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41571 Posts

I just recently bought my first issue of Retro Gamer. They're a UK publication, but however, are available in the United States at Barnes and Noble.

Mark Bussler of CGR made me interested in picking one up one day and here it is.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#20 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

My two magazines I had to have every month were PSM (the Unofficial PS Magazine) and EGM.

pikachewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 pikachewbacca
Member since 2015 • 127 Posts

When I was a kid I used to look forward to going grocery shopping with my mum on a Friday after school so I could choose what food I wanted and get my game mag haha

I started getting gaming mags when I owned an N64. My favourite one was N64 Magazine and Gamesmaster is a fantastic multi platform magazine, still going strong.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Definitely EGM

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

EGM by a country mile.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

EGM. I had a subscription from their inception in 1989 until the early 2000s. Unfortunately my collection of mags has since bit the dust, but thankfully folks have scanned many of them for when nostalgia strikes.

To a lesser extent I was into Nintendo Power when I was younger (and before that, Nintendo Fun Club), and picked up the occasional Gamepro every now and again.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

egm and gamepro

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts