What was your favourite arcade game?

#1 Edited by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

So arcades are largely a thing of the past, at least here in the west. However they were a pretty big deal even as recently as the late 90s and early 2000s.

I have fond memories of playing the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade while stuck on P&O and Stena Line ferry trips as a kid. A 3D on-rails shooter released in 1998 which probably captured the feel of the original films better than any Star Wars game made since.

Never managed to complete it of course since it cost £1 a go, but you basically had three stages covering A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. You got to take part in the battle of Yavin and the climactic trench run, the battle of Hoth, the speeder bike chase through the forests of Endor as well as lightsaber boss battles against Boba Fett and Darth Vader!

How about you folks, which arcade game did you like the best?

#2 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4778 posts) -

Galaga has always been my go to.

Honorable mentions: Magic Sword and Bust-a-Move

#3 Posted by VagrantSnow (272 posts) -

Hot Rod. Brother and I used to play it all the time. Had a really novel 4 player top down arcade cabinet with pedals and wheels.

#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (32827 posts) -

Yie Ar Kung-Fu I played on the C64, and a club house at a caravan site. It was cheaper than other arcade machines because it was an older game, and the place was always empty so I had it to myself.

#5 Posted by Sevenizz (3657 posts) -

PacMan Jr.

#6 Posted by raugutcon (5484 posts) -

Arcade like you mean games I played at the Arcade ? if that so I spent so many quarters that I could have purchased the machine in PacMan, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Galaga, Joust, Punch Out and Tempest so you can say those were my favorite Arcade games at the Arcade, I miss those days and even though the place still exist the "atmosphere" is no longer there nor most of the machines, the newer Arcade machines are multigames machines with hundreds of "oldies" from which to choose ( not exactly bad at all ).

#7 Edited by warmblur (2169 posts) -

Mortal Kombat 2 I use to go to my local my mall that is sadly gone now and played it back in the spring of 94. I still can picture what the arcade place looked like and where the MK2 machine was. That game was such a huge leap from the original MK. The colors where vibrant the gameplay felt faster and better and it had the best fatalities of the old 2D games I was never so hyped to play that machine. No other video game ever got me so much excited to play. It hit me at the right time and age.

#8 Posted by judaspete (2907 posts) -

If I had to pick one, maybe Bust-a-Move. Sunk many hours into various iterations of that game, and it just doesn't seem to get old. But I don't want to pick one, so here's a list:

• Blitz
  • NBA Jam
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Area 51
  • Capcom vs SNK
  • Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate

God I miss Midway.

#9 Posted by npiet1 (2104 posts) -

I only really played the claw machines and time crisis 2. We only have a few machines at the cinema here. Arcades aren't really a thing here and havn't been for a long time. There's timezone but there all tiny (have about 30 machines, except for the gold coast which is pretty big for us.

#10 Posted by robert_sparkes (2951 posts) -

House of the the dead and virtua cop.

#11 Posted by Cooperino217 (16 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON: Galaga my favorite too

#12 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

Lots of good stuff in these posts. I was always a fan of Time Crisis also, or any light gun games really. +1 for House of the Dead.

#13 Edited by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

@raugutcon: Yup, that's what I meant to say, games which you used to go to arcade halls to play on arcade machines. I should have been a bit clearer d'oh.

It's a real shame that the era is now over, consoles mostly killed them off. As great as it is having your own 'arcade' in your living room nowadays, the magic has been lost a bit in the transition I would say.

#14 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20506 posts) -

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead 2, and Marvel vs. Capcom.

#15 Edited by lensflare15 (6652 posts) -

I didn't play games in arcades all that often growing up since they were quickly fading away during the early 2000s (when I was a kid). However, I've played lots of fighting games on arcade machines over the years like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Killer instinct, King of Fighters, etc. There's a bowling alley near me with arcade machines, and I play MK 4 and Street Fighter 3 whenever I go there with my brother. MK4 is probably my favorite arcade game of all time, as well as my favorite MK overall.

#16 Posted by Byrdyin (24 posts) -

Some of my favorites:

Galaga

Mantigames’ Mutilate A Doll 2

Cat Simulator: Kitty Craft

Skate Hooligans

Bloody Archers

Tunnel Rush

#17 Posted by DaVillain- (36092 posts) -
  • House of the Dead
  • Jurassic Park
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Pacman
  • Killer Instinct
  • Donkey Kong
  • Time Crisis

While it's true the Arcade era is dead, but where I live, we have a Arcade like called Dave & Busters. It's like Chuck E Cheese for adults (and teens of course) and we have lots of Arcade games but I haven't been to Dave & Busters for 9 years now. PC gaming just spoiled me lol.

#18 Posted by MyRainware (8 posts) -

My best Arcarde classic is Metal Slug today and as a child. No matter what part. I loved playing them all. When the Neo Geo came, I had no reason to stop.

I still think the Pixel Art Style is awesome.

#19 Posted by Archangel3371 (27598 posts) -

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game is my all time favourite arcade game closely followed by Lethal Enforcers. I pumped so many quarters into those two games.

#20 Posted by l34052 (3902 posts) -

I always loved the original Star Wars arcade game with its vector graphics and sampled voices.

To this day whenever I hear 'Red five standing by' I smile.

#21 Posted by Bond007uk (916 posts) -

80's and early 90's favourites, no particular order.

Pacman

Time Pilot

Track & Field

Shinobi

Contra

Double Dragon

Outrun

Afterburner

Super Hang-On

Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja

Gunsmoke

R-Type

Kung-Fu Master

Chase HQ

Final Fight

Operation Wolf

Operation Thunderbolt

I had some favourites in the middle to late 90's, then Arcades faded away

Sega Rally

Ridge Racer

Scud Race

Crusin' USA

Virtua Fighter 2

Rush the Rock

Area 51

#22 Posted by jeezers (2672 posts) -

Galaga

Marvel vs xmen

Tekken 3

Blitz 2000

Turtles in time

#23 Posted by VFighter (4807 posts) -

Outrun

Chase HQ

Smash TV

#24 Posted by robert_sparkes (2951 posts) -

I really enjoyed the Simpsons beat em up game. Spent many coins on the metal slug machine at my local take away.

#25 Posted by DoomNukem3D (176 posts) -

A lot of my favorite games I've played are arcade games I play on Mame. Lately I've been addicted to Robotron, Smash TV, and Total Carnage. I also really love Irem schmups like R Type, Dragon Breed, and X Multiply. Jackal, Mercs, Desert Assault, Stun Runner, After Burner, Strider, Final Fight, Gun Force ii, Metal Slug games, and just about anything developed by Taito are really excellent. Wish a lot of these would get more attention.

#26 Posted by coolkid125 (2 posts) -

@Sevenizz: I loved the Simpsons arcade game

#28 Posted by gcfreak898 (1991 posts) -

X-Men the arcade game