What is your favorite retro year in gaming?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Looking back If you can pick only one year in gaming that is your favorite what would it be? it has to be retro of course so 10 years old at least.

Mind would have to be 2005 so many great memories and games came out that year that I still look back on with extreme nostalgia here are the games of that year that I love.

• Resident Evil 4
  • SWAT 4
  • Battlefield 2
  • Indigo Prophecy
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Condemned criminal origins

Also another why I love that year in gaming is because that's when I first got into PC gaming which was really exciting at the time. I started playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault MP and joined a clan it was so much fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The N64 had just released and was quickly starting to deliver the best multiplayer experiences ever! I had so much fun playing Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64, and WCW vs. nWo World Tour with my friends nearly every day after school. And on the single player side, I had a lot of fun with Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and Crash Bandicoot 2 that year as well.

1997 is not just my favorite year in gaming, it's my favorite year of my entire life in general. If I had the ability to go back in time and relive one year of my life, it would be 1997.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

You consider 2005 retro?

I'd go with 1988 as my favorite year for video games because...

Super Mario Bros 3

Contra

Megaman 2

Dragon Quest 3

The Gaurdian Legend

Bionic Commando

Ninja Gaiden

Blaster master

Jackal

The New Zealand story

Galaxy Force ii

Avatar image for battlefront2remaster
Battlefront2Remaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Battlefront2Remaster
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

@warmblur: definitely 2005 ! when the original Star Wars Battlefront 2 came out <3

Anthony11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Anthony11
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

Contra and Super Mario Bros 3 games are my favourite one.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

A fantastic year for PCs and Consoles, an exciting time in game news with the 3D revolution right around the corner, experimentation was at a high point even among large companies. Yet it also saw a masterful flourishing of the mature 16-Bit generation, a time of refinement juxtaposed with the promises of tomorrow. The Arcade Era was ebbing into twilight, but was fittingly going out with some of its flashiest and loudest experiences. After this year, I went on a long gaming hiatus.

A pinnacle year of sorts for the P&C Adventure Genre for many years...(10 samples)

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC), The Secret of Monkey Island (PC), Sam & Max: Hit the Road (PC), Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father (PC), Myst (MAC), Simon the Sorcerer (PC), Quest for Glory IV (PC), Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (PC), Space Quest V (PC), Star Trek: Judgment Rites (PC)

A year of new quests and old haunts for RPGs (10 Samples)

Lunar: The Silver Star (SCD), The Secret of Mana (SNES), Ultima 7 Part 2 + Expansion (PC), Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds (PC), Shadowrun (SNES), Betrayal at Krondor (PC), Might & Magic V (PC), Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES), Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC), Dungeon Explorer II (TG16)

In strategy & sim games, it was a year to lose yourself in for a lifetime (10 Samples)

Star Control 2 (3DO), Shining Force (GEN), Dune II (GEN, AMI), SimCity 2000 (PC), Syndicate (PC), Warlords II (PC), Metal Marines (SNES), Frontier: Elite II (PC), Strike Commander (PC), Wing Commander: Privateer (PC)

At the Arcades, Faster, Louder, Stronger (10 Samples)

Saturday Night Slam Masters, Mortal Kombat II, Super Street Fighter II, Samurai Shodown!, Batsugun, Fatal Fury Special, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Metamorphic Force, Star Wars Arcade, The Punisher

In Sports and Racing, the genres where entries are likely to be forgotten the minute a sequel hits, 1993 was the rare exception wherein some games stood the test of time (and it took EA decades to squander the goodwill earned with some of the following...)(10 Samples)

NHL 94 (GEN), Mutant League Football (GEN), Top Gear II (SNES), Rock and Roll Racing (SNES), Madden 94 (GEN), Bill Walsh Football (GEN), Lotus III (PC), Road Rash II (GEN), NBA Jam (ARC), Tecmo Super Bowl (SNES)

Did I forget to mention, last but not least...(20 other samples)

DOOM (PC), Gunstar Heroes (GEN), Super Mario All-Stars (SNES), The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB), Castlevania Rondo of Blood (TG16), Landstalker (GEN), Actraiser (SNES), Cybernator (SNES), Lords of Thunder (TG16), Kirby's Adventure (NES), Star Fox (SNES), World of Illusion (GEN), Toe Jam & Earl II (GEN), Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN), Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (GEN), Sunset Riders (SNES), Robo Aleste (SCD), Sonic CD (SCD), Flashback: The Quest for Identity (PC, GEN), Zombies Ate my Neighbors (SNES)

I've managed to at least try most of these over the years, but 1993 began a lifelong backlog.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

1993? I don't know... a lot of memories also... but just seems like a bbig year in general...

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8  Edited By BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Unreal

Starcraft

Baldur's Gate

Metal Gear Solid

Battlezone

Vigilante 8

Medievil

Grim Fandango

Gran Turismo

Thief: The Dark Project

Resident Evil 2

Need for Speed 3

Turok 2

Spyro the Dragon

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Falcon 4

Half-Life

And that's without even looking at Nintendo releases!

Generally though, 1995-2005 is the greatest decade in gaming IMO.

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
ADingoAteMyBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ADingoAteMyBaby
Member since 2016 • 63 Posts

GTA III
Silent Hill 2
Max Payne
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Burnout
Luigi's Mansion
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Halo 1
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Red Faction
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Super Smash Bros. Melee

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I don't think I can put a year on it, but an era, perhaps. UT99, Q3 and the games made with it, SC and Diablo 2... Just so many hours of goodness.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

1998 was a really solid year for games.

Avatar image for superretrogamer
SuperRetroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperRetroGamer
Member since 2018 • 65 Posts

1984 - 1996 is the real retro gaming age :)