DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8771 Posts

I still have mine. But I heard something about the PS3 losing support. Just wondering your opinion on the PS3.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Started off weak. The first two years or so I used it mainly to play PS1 and PS2 games. It gave me time to catch up so I guess that was cool. It was easier to manage saves for those games and it was nice to see them upscaled to my old 1080p TV. I also bought a 360 during that time because I felt that the PS3 wasn't enough for me. I hated the Sixaxis controller. The lack of rumble feature sucked. Felt like I could snap it like a twig. I didn't buy another controller until the DualShock 3 was released. Multiplats generally sucked, compared to 360, especially in the earlier years.

In the half and later half of its cycle, it felt like all those awesome PS3 games came out at once. It was a little too much for me. The DualShock 3s were out by then. Honestly, I would say it was worth the wait. I gave up on the 360 and started to get back into PC gaming again as well. It was a really good time for gaming for me and PS3 was part of it. Good memories. As much as it started off weak I miss the old 60GB model that could play PS2 games. I wish that they didn't discontinue that model. I eventually got the YLOD and had to get a new one, which didn't have that feature. The 60GB PS3 is one of my favourite consoles of all time. It looked awesome too, even with the Spider-Man font.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8771 Posts

@SOedipus: I used to have a fat PS3. It really was cool with the B/C. I also miss folding@Home and PlayStation Home.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

@SOedipus: I used to have a fat PS3. It really was cool with the B/C. I also miss folding@Home and PlayStation Home.

Oh right, I remember those. I would use Folding@home quite a bit. Not sure how much good it did. I like how it showed the globe with all the lights indicating PS3 users. There was that one light in North Korea. Me and my friends were like "Oh, that's Kim Jong-il"! I never got into Home. Tried it once and that was it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Cell was a dumb decision in hindsight.

Lot's of good Ratchet & Clank.

Shitty that they removed the other OS feature.

Would have been much less interesting without From Software.

DS3 was a great controller with awesome battery life.

Poor cooling killed many of the fat versions.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Great system with a few flaws. I have an 80 gig fat model from before ps2 BC was removed. Got ylod and fixed it myself once, only to get it again. Sent it in that time and it has worked since, but I still worry. Otherwise great sytem with and endless variety of fantastic games.

If Sony made a PS5 that played 1-3 games, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#7 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Started of slow when it came to games wise, as the years went by the line up of games were getting better & better with games like Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, The Last of Us and LittleBigPlanet. Plus not to mention the backward compatibility for the earlier models for playing PS2 games, but at least most PS3 consoles can let you use PS1 discs when it comes to games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It never clicked with me I was strictly a PC gamer back then I did pick it up but I returned it I wasn't ready to jump back into console then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58939 Posts

Collects dust on my desk.

Most of the stuff I play it on it PS1/PS2 titles from the store. Old JRPGs etc..

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

The OG Backwards compat PS3 was great built like a tank the super slim was horrible had nightmares about that slide disc drive. Overall a great system never really had opportunities outside of 1st party to fulfil its power.

Sahugani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 158

User Lists: 4

#11 Sahugani
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts

In terms of features/design I love it. Probably the best console. Better controller than PS4, XMB is way way better.

It's library isn't bad. I'm more of a retro guy. I'd say ps2 > ps1 > ps3 > ps4 in terms of what games they have.

I had the far model, got YLOD, have super slim now. I got custom firmware a few weeks ago (new exploit found in 2020 works on all models), and I'm loving playing SNES/Genesis/PS1 games on my CRT.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Estrowin
Member since 2018 • 66 Posts

I got one in 2013 and loved playing last of us

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Loved the PS3 when I had it. The PS3 had some great things about it, I like the fact it introduced Blu Ray, I think that was a great feature. The Resistance games were pretty good.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Great system, had a bit of a rough start but amazing nonetheless.

Vstpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vstpower
Member since 2021 • 12 Posts

The day I heard ps3 could be jailbroken with a usb dongle back in the day was unheard of, or use like a ti-84 calculator to run the mod.

It had hdmi support and I enjoyed many fps titles. Still one of my favorite consoles and it helped with my YouTube channel with ps3 modding. Still play it off and on to this day.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

2nd favorite console of all time after PS1....Snes would be my 3rd.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

One thing I absolutely love about PS3 is transfer game saves between profiles. Mostly used them in fighting games where I just sucks at it. usually I just download saves that unlock all characters for game nights with friends over at my place.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I still have the fat one I bought at launch, somehow it still runs and has never had over-heating issues. We use it from time to time to play Katamari: Forever, Terraria and Demon Souls. Overall, I thought it was okay. I used the 360 much more, but PS3 was strong enough to hold its own.

I will never understand why they abandoned backwards compatibility, and I have always disliked the Playstation controllers. The library I found to be okay.

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: I think you should be researching into installing custom firmware.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#20 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

It's a Metal Gear Solid 4 machine.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Honestly I kind of forget it existed. I can't even remember what years it was out. Like....2010 +/- a few years?

IIRC it got one of the best MGS games though right?

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bonuspanic
Member since 2022 • 19 Posts

i remember the OS was clunky as hell and I hated navigating the menus to access anything, so I primarily stuck with the 360 because EVERYONE I knew was on XBL and I found the Blades and overall ease of access way more appealing.

But I'm in the market for one now for 'retro' gaming purposes so I'm kinda excited to dive back into it!

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#25 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

The Ps3 itself is awesome. Very beautiful console that looked strong in the beginning with the fat.

It breaks easy and has trouble with frame rates. Slims are the worst.

Too bad it's library started that trend of being mature and cinematic as possible with little gameplay.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Had a couple ps3s, never really valued it for gaming was mainly used a Blu Ray player.

I don't like Sonys exclusives, Last of Us and uncharted were too movie gameish for me and I got bored fairly quick.

Add on the controller is awfull too made it very uncomfortable to play for any length of time.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I like it. Disappointed that it doesn’t have the memory card slots like it does in the PS1 and PS2, though.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Disappointed all the online features are completely gone.

P2P was mocked on the Xbox 360 back in the day, but most games are still online and the store is still there.

Also, the DS4 was the first Playstation pad I really liked.

This makes getting into the PS3, less easy for me.

But for me, I consider myself a retro gamer first, I don't consider 7th gen onwards retro gaming myself. It doesn't feel like. For me, retro gaming is 6th gen and older.