Things you hate when searching for retro games?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

One of my biggest pet peeves when searching for games on ebay is when someone puts the disc face down on a wooden table or hard surface and takes a picture. I hate scratched discs and to take a picture showing someone scratching it is even worse.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I hate walking into a retro store that has a strong smell of cigarette ash throughout the store and a shitty collection of games on display. It's usually a good indicator that a particular store is about to close, and it's kind of depressing feeling.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I understand, to a certain point, that not everyone is like me, I like my stuff to look pristine and in mint condition, I take care to the point of obsession, my games ( disc, manual, case ) look like if I just had purchased them and one thing I hate is seeing games without labels or with labels in bad condition, torn cases, no manuals, scratched discs ( in the case of discs ) or dirty cartridges, no box ( or torn box ), I think you guys know what I mean.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

@raugutcon: I totally agree. I try to always get a game in its complete form as well as in good condition. I actually just got a copy of Silent Hill for PS1 in its black case (not greatest hits) and it was in great condition except the seller placed a sticker on the disc referring to their business -__-. it isn't big and it doesn't ruin the game, but that annoyed me.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Ebay related I hate when people make the title to where it shows up in as many searches as possible.

For example I've seen stuff like "Super Mario 64 not World Bros 1 2 3 N64 not NES SNES Gamecube Wii

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I hate buying used things in general, but there's often not much of a choice when it comes to old games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

On Amazon, when someone offers a game or console cheap, but find out shipping is worth more than what they are selling.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I hate when they tag a game as rare, when it isnt

zenbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zenbone
Member since 2015 • 19 Posts

I hate looking on Craigslist... seems the retro market has been taken over by "flippers" that buy up everything then claim everything they are selling is rare and mint. The prices in general seem to be way off base from reality with retro stuff. Not sure if there truly is a shortage or just a shortage of savvy buyers?

theretroraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theretroraider
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

I do a lot of my shopping in store around my city so I would say that I absolutely hate that just because the game has to do with Pokemon it's automatically WAY over priced because they're just trying to make a quick buck.

VoodooRocker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VoodooRocker13
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

Mainly the idea just because some is old means it's automatically rare and that people on eBay attach that to every game on eBay. I'd have to say my biggest is a cd game being played data side down on a table no case and they go on how it' A or B condition. They show the case and it looks good, manual as well and then they show the game data side down not in the case. It get's better when they follow it up with that it has a few minor scratches. Really? the cd you've been probably laying on the table like a coaster has some scratches? No way, wonder how that happened. Waiting for some to list a game the dog chewed on, but it still works so it's ok.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

On Amazon, when someone offers a game or console cheap, but find out shipping is worth more than what they are selling.

Yes!

blandkiller666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blandkiller666
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

I hate old People. There a lot of old people looking to resell in my area. I don't do a lot of ebay shopping or internet shopping.I stick to store and garage sales.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I hate retro vendors that price gouge, when I go to buy a game I know its value, I research it and I can probably find it considerably cheaper than you're offering. The thing that pisses me off the most is how they get offended when you can show them as clear as day, hey, I can get this elsewhere RIGHT NOW for $X cheaper than you're trying to sell it for... They're a seller, they should try to outdo their competition, but the fucked thing is they'll be like "I can come down to this much" when the reality is that's still a higher price than I can get it for at these other places...

Do you not understand that you're not going to sell this shit and I am now leaving with money you could have had? It's like these assholes think they're going to get rich, they don't fucking care about retro games or games in general, they've just found a lucrative market sector and are trying to **** everyone in it...

@raugutcon said:

I understand, to a certain point, that not everyone is like me, I like my stuff to look pristine and in mint condition, I take care to the point of obsession, my games ( disc, manual, case ) look like if I just had purchased them and one thing I hate is seeing games without labels or with labels in bad condition, torn cases, no manuals, scratched discs ( in the case of discs ) or dirty cartridges, no box ( or torn box ), I think you guys know what I mean.

This is a fantastic way to go broke and not really amass much of anything.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

When you see something you could have bought not long ago (but didn't) and now see that it's worth double or triple what you would have paid.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#16 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Any store I go to that sells retro games usually smells like a horrible combination of BO and pizza.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

One thing that I always hated is when I lose out on an item to someone who is clearly a reseller. I hate those kind of people, buying up shit I want so they can profit from it and have absolutely no care in the world for the product they basically just stole from me. Sure, its fair game, but these are the people who lay the disc out on the counter for their pictures, toss everything in a bag and don't even care how damaged it gets from store to camera.

I'm willing to concede a few games to another collector because I know they love games as much or more as I do, but these resellers who only care to flip the $15 they just spent into $100 can all die of cancer and I'd still think they got off light.