emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I thought maybe we could create a list of some of the best NES games that don't break the bank. I would like to keep it at $20 or less.

- Super Mario Bros 1 - 2 - 3

- TMNT: The Arcade Game

- Kirby's Adventure

- Batman

- GunSmoke

- Disney's DuckTales

- Disney's Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers

- Excite Bike

- Kung Fu

- Blaster Master

- Tecmo Super Bowl

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 emgesp

Man, this forum must be dead.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Crystalis
Gradius
Journey to Silius
Lifeforce
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden 1-2
The Guardian Legend
Tiny Toon Adventures

Joe77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Joe77
Member since 2003 • 646 Posts

TMNT not the arcade game

Snake Rattle and Roll

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@emgesp: It's slowed down a bit.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emgesp

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

Crystalis

Gradius

Journey to Silius

Lifeforce

Little Nemo: The Dream Master

Metroid

Ninja Gaiden 1-2

The Guardian Legend

Tiny Toon Adventures

Actually just bought Journey to Silius. What an excellent game and the music is outstanding.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eikichi-Onizuka

@emgesp said:

Actually just bought Journey to Silius. What an excellent game and the music is outstanding.

Sweet, I just got it a few months or so ago. Been back into collecting for NES again lately. Haven't beaten it yet, seems harder than Batman(another Sunsoft game) so far but maybe I just haven't practiced enough.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I know this thread is sitting at 19 days since last touched, but if you want my personal list of "best under $20 loose NES games" you came to the right person :P

I own over half the entire NES collection and have played many more than that.

I will only list titles that haven't been listed previously and in no particular order.

1. The Lone Ranger = This is a great game that you can usually pick up for around $20 if you look hard enough. It is still worth the higher prices you see as well. Easily one of my top NES games under the category "hidden gems." You never hear anyone talking about it, but it's easily one of the best games out there that you don't hear about every day.

2. Adventures of Lolo 1 and 2 (I would list 3 but you wont get it for $20) These are some very fun puzzle games that feel truly rewarding for completing each level and especially when you finally finish the games.

3. The Battle of Olympus = Great game that plays a lot like Faxanadu, Castlevania 2, Zelda 2, etc. You can get it relatively cheap for around $10 or so. Also has a killer soundtrack (one of my favorites, although Journey to Silius is my favorite of all time).

4. Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers = Great platformer with nice graphics, easy to grasp gameplay, and another "hidden gem" if you will. Probably about $15.

5. Contra and Super C = both can be had for less than $20 and they are great games. Side scrolling shooters of the BEST KIND.

6. Double Dragon III = The best DD on the NES regardless of what you will hear. Some people knock the difficulty, but this game is a masterpiece. Should cost around $13-$20.

7. Dr. Mario = Great puzzle game, great soundtrack, and it's Mario. Should easily find this one for under $10.

8. Faxanadu = Another great side scroll/platformer with exploring elements, weapons, armor, shields, spells and dragons to boot. Did I mention ANOTHER killer soundtrack? Must buy... You can find this one DIRT cheap most of the time.

9. Jackal = Fun game that puts you in charge of a jeep with some firepower that must clear it's way down a long road ahead. Imagine an early jet fighter like 1942-1943 in a jeep. Cheap.

10. Kabuki Quantum Fighter = Imagine a Contra/Ninja Gaiden mix and there you go. Great game that goes as another "hidden gem."

11. RBI Baseball = Probably the best baseball series on the NES.. arguably. It is to me at least. You can get RBI 1, 2, or 3 for a decent price.

12. RC Pro AM = My favorite racing game on the NES by no short margin. Cheap.

I hope a few of those help. If not, I can fine tune a list for you if you have specific genres you are looking for. :)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: I remember Battle of Olympus really pissing me off when I was younger.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@emgesp said:

Man, this forum must be dead.

It's because they took it out of the menu, you have to know it exists in order to find it. :\

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

@WitIsWisdom: I remember Battle of Olympus really pissing me off when I was younger.

lol... yeah, it definitely has some hair pulling stressful moments.. probably even if you went back and played it now. Still a great under rated game with a killer soundtrack though.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eikichi-Onizuka

@WitIsWisdom The Contra games are getting harder and harder to come by for less than $20, good list though.

I would definitely recommend The Lone Ranger as well, only problem with it is really the long periods between checkpoints.
Kabuki Quantum Fighter and Jackal are ones I plan to get soon as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Super Mario Brothers 3 - $12.51

Super Mario Brothers 2 - $15.99

Tetris - 4.75