DeltaX_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DeltaX_basic
Member since 2003 • 203 Posts

I know the talk around town is the framemeister. I was even considering getting one even with the $550 Canadian or more price point on ebay. But thats for res below 480 i range and I hear it doesn't scale that well for 480i/p. So what is the best or better option for 480i/p for consoles like xbox, ps2, gamecube, wii.

Im only saying cuz I was looking at newer 4k tv's and some seem to miss the old inputs (component, composite and s-video) and that is the reason I made this topic.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Look for the OSSC (open source scan converter). It's not a scaler, but a classic linedoubler, which will take 480i signals and display them at 480p, or line triple 240p signals into 720p with compatible TV. A 4K TV will take the latter and scale it by 3, which may introduce some input lag, so consider those with great processors. However, the OSSC will only accept SCART, VGA and Component inputs, and display RGB with DVI (pre-assembled) and HDMI (DIY units). Audio must be carried separately even if it's possible to convert it into HDMI.

Personally, I use it because I live in Europe, and compatibility with PAL frequencies is a must, when most if not all consoles have SCART connections, whose cables are abundant without the need to clean sync.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@Valkeerie:A big downside is it's compatibility is limited, it's 3x scale mode doesn't work on all displays. IMO if you can't run the 3x mode, the OSSC looks really blurry.

@DeltaX_basic: It really depends on what games you play, if they're 480i then I would get a Framemeister as its de-interlacing is hard to beat. If you play mostly 480p then get an OSSC, just keep in mind it's component and RGB input only.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Wouldn't it be better to spend that money on a better TV with a good scaler ?

I recommend Panasonic, GameCube games look sweet on mine over Component

DeltaX_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeltaX_basic
Member since 2003 • 203 Posts

I ended up getting the framemister. I havn't really noticed anything but those guys from my life in gaming say it blotches the backgrounds or something like that. I think it's almost as good as a high end tv's scaler. But for 240i games it's top notch. Atleast I have something when my next upgrade, Maybe it won't have old school connections at all. There already taking them out.

That OSSC was looking good to me thou.

Maybe Ill sell my framemister and get a updated OSSC in the future since most of my retro systems are going to get replaced probably with fpga's in the future probably.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mylifeingaming/videos?disable_polymer=1

Loading Video...