lanesmang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 lanesmang
Member since 2022 • 2 Posts

So, I am retro gaming collector. I am also a collection merit badge counselor in scouting. I have some questions.

1. Where does retro gaming end as of right know? I mean what is the newest systems that are considered retro gaming consoles. Please list all from that area.
  2. Do you use price charting for pricing how much items should cost?
  3. Do you over value your collection or do different for insurance purposes?
  4. Do you have limit on what you will spend?
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1108 Posts

1. Currently PS2 is the last retro generation. Perhaps the Wii is retro but I think, in spite of being old enough to be retro, PS3/360 are not retro simply because they cemented all the trends that we consider modern today.

Focus on online, digital distribution, standardization and homogenization of different genres to the same two-stick 3rd person control scheme (consider how before games like Metal Gear Solid would have a completely different control/camera than Halo, but now they both basically control the same way)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@lanesmang said:

So, I am retro gaming collector. I am also a collection merit badge counselor in scouting. I have some questions.

1. Where does retro gaming end as of right know? I mean what is the newest systems that are considered retro gaming consoles. Please list all from that area.
  2. Do you use price charting for pricing how much items should cost?
  3. Do you over value your collection or do different for insurance purposes?
  4. Do you have limit on what you will spend?

1. People will differ. For me, I don't consider 7th gen onward retro games.

4. I don't know, depends how much I want something. I'm not spending silly money on retro gaming, like over £100.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts
@Naylord said:

1. Currently PS2 is the last retro generation. Perhaps the Wii is retro but I think, in spite of being old enough to be retro, PS3/360 are not retro simply because they cemented all the trends that we consider modern today.

Focus on online, digital distribution, standardization and homogenization of different genres to the same two-stick 3rd person control scheme (consider how before games like Metal Gear Solid would have a completely different control/camera than Halo, but now they both basically control the same way)

Yeah, I agree with this. The Wii could count, it's pretty much a GameCube with widescreen and motion controls. So 6th gen+Wii, sounds about right.

7th gen games don't even feel old to me.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Ps2 is retro limit and may always be the limit of retro as the ps3 moved to digital and so collecting is impossible

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

The PS3/360 is the ABSOLUTE latest I'll consider retro, as they're two generations behind the current and emulation for the PS3 is starting to mature. I think most can agree that at the very least, everything from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube on down is retro.

@jeffbuckley1 Someone should tell that to the massive plastic box full of games that I have for the PS3... Or the one with my 360 games...