Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Supersheepmam12

Poll n64 or GameCube (40 votes)

n64 43%
Gamecube 58%

I have been thinking of either getting a n64 or GameCube. Problem is there are both pros and cons to both and I can't decide. They both have good games on each system. But the n64 controller isn't too good. I can only get one now and possibly the other one in a few months. Which one do you recommend? Also, do they need memory cards?

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

Get the N64. The controller is fine. I believe memory packs are used for certain games. I remember using one for Turok. Other than that I had the rumble pack in.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3211 Posts

For me I liked the N64. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but sadly I found that the Gamecube is my least favorite Nintendo console and I never owned one. Buy anyways which types of games do you enjoy the most? Like for example If you like 3D platformers (Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64) then get the N64 or if you like horror games (Resident Evil Remake/0/4 and Eternal Darkness) and then get the Gamecube. Make sure which genre of games you like the most and see if any of those two consoles have what you are looking for.

As for memory cards you need one for the Gamecube since you have to use it save every Gamecube games. The N64 though had something called a controller pak and is used for most third party games. All Nintendo's first party games which also includes Rare's games since they use to be with Nintendo contains a battery save that can save the files in the game cartridges but most third party games did not have battery saves so that forces you to use the controller pak.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

N64 all the way.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Gamecube needs a memory card and I would recommend the official black 251mb one.

For N64 many games save to the cartridge(all 1st/2nd party and some 3rd party) but others do need a memory pak(most/many 3rd party).

If it's affordable might want to get a backwards compatible Wii instead of a Gamecube.

As for which to buy, I like many games on both so can't really pick one over the other.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19378 Posts

GameCube is better than N64 in almost every genre. The only genres where the N64 has the edge are 3D platformers, FPS, and action-adventures, but otherwise, the GameCube is better in almost every other genre, from fighters, racers, 2D platformers and puzzle-platformers to RPGs, TPS and survival horror. GameCube has more quality in a greater variety of genres.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@AcidTango said:

For me I liked the N64. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but sadly I found that the Gamecube is my least favorite Nintendo console and I never owned one. Buy anyways which types of games do you enjoy the most? Like for example If you like 3D platformers (Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64) then get the N64 or if you like horror games (Resident Evil Remake/0/4 and Eternal Darkness) and then get the Gamecube. Make sure which genre of games you like the most and see if any of those two consoles have what you are looking for.

As for memory cards you need one for the Gamecube since you have to use it save every Gamecube games. The N64 though had something called a controller pak and is used for most third party games. All Nintendo's first party games which also includes Rare's games since they use to be with Nintendo contains a battery save that can save the files in the game cartridges but most third party games did not have battery saves so that forces you to use the controller pak.

Pac-Man VS doesn't require a memory card.

Avatar image for supersheepmam12
Supersheepmam12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Supersheepmam12
Member since 2016 • 19 Posts

@AcidTango: yea I think I might like n64 games better. Only GameCube games I was looking at was luigis mansion and melee

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Gamecube or Nintendo 64. The Nintendo 64 by an small margin since the games are more fondly remembered, The N64 games were more ground breaking for their time, thus give a more playable experience than Gamecube, Which are not as good as their Xbox and PS2 counterparts. N64 made the most of it's 64-bit and limited cartridges which developers made the most of the N64 limited tech. Thus making for games that remain fun even in 2016.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

@supersheepmam12 said:

@AcidTango: yea I think I might like n64 games better. Only GameCube games I was looking at was luigis mansion and melee

You may as well get a 64 then. You might regret buying the Gamecube and all its equipment and then shelling out 60+ bucks for just those two games. I'd have at least four or five games in mind before getting either the 64 or Gamecube though.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

GameCube probably has the best library on any game console.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AcidTango

@nintendoboy16 said:
@AcidTango said:

Really?

So how do you save then?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

Gamecube. It has a wider variety of games that have better stood the test of time. Both are good consoles but many N64 titles have loose controls and choppy frame rates that were easier to overlook back in the day.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@AcidTango said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@AcidTango said:

Really?

So how do you save then?

That's the thing, you don't. Likely due to the fact that it's a party game take on classic Pac-Man (developed by Shigeru Miyamoto's team in fact).

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidTango

@nintendoboy16 said:
@AcidTango said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Really?

So how do you save then?

That's the thing, you don't. Likely due to the fact that it's a party game take on classic Pac-Man (developed by Shigeru Miyamoto's team in fact).

Ok thanks.

I was just talking about Gamecube games where you are able to save a file but that you need a memory card in order to save.

NakedHeadcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By NakedHeadcrab
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

N64 is a classic console. GameCube is almost forgettable.

Make your choice.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I never understood the N64 love. I do think it was much more revolutionary when it came out than the Gamecube was, but that is irrelevant to us now (especially if you are new to the systems and don't have nostalgia influencing your choice) - neither system is remotely revolutionary to the 2016 gamer. So as a retrogamer it comes down to the experiences to be had even though they are aged systems and games. And I think the Gamecube is a better choice, both for the controller and for the range of games

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

There are a handful of n64 titles that are still tops in the genre. Mario 64, Wave Race, and FzeroX. In addition to that there are genres which generally don't exist anymore, present on the platform. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Rogue Squadron, NFL Blitz, Banjo...

However, if you can't decide if almost reco.mend getting a backwards compatible Wii. Many of the best 64 games are on the eshop. The games are presented very well--fzerox has so.e frame drops for example. The only issue is controller support. Gamecube controllers work pretty well, but you occasionally run into issues because of the analog triggers. The z trigger for Mario 64 is placed as the L trigger and z button on the gamecube pad. Thus can make the game a little more difficult for some. Cstick doesn't work as well for camera switches, either. I personally find FzeroX almost unplayable because of this analog triggers--the twitch l/r presses the game requires can be frustrating at times.

The bonus is that it will be easier to get a component image on the Wii, as gamecube cables can be rather expensive. The other positive is that the wiiu gamecube controller is easily found d and works quite well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I feel that gamecube games have aged better. Fzero GX, Ikaruga, Mario sunshine all still look great. I never play my n64 anymore, but still come back to gamecube.

Oi_Oi_Spanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oi_Oi_Spanky
Member since 2015 • 301 Posts

Still have my N64, never bothered with the GameCube. I think that says it all.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

GC because you can play all the important Zelda games up to Twilight Princess, all the core Resident Evil games up to 4 (including Code Veronica X), a superior version of DC's Skies of Arcadia and most importantly......

The GC has Metroid Prime, the best game of that generation. Prime 2 was also excellent. Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Thousand Year Door, and several others were fun to have.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I'd start with GameCube, and then grab N64 later. The primary reason in my view is related to the controller - honestly, finding a second-hand controller that is in good condition is a non-trivial exercise.

The controller itself feels great when it's in good condition, but when the stick is wonky and the housing around it is worn down...it feels like washing yourself with soap covered in sandpaper (or some such terrible analogy...) :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@djura:

Yeah. I haven't tried any replacements. Recently finally opened up the brand new one I had. I wonder if any true replacements will surface with 3D printing expanding.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@Heirren: I really hope 3D printing expands the options in this area. I've been hunting around to see if there are any mystical "brand new" N64 controllers out there - I'd be willing to pay a large premium to buy one. But alas, I haven't seen anything.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

Gamecube is such an underrated console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Gamecube since N64 stuff is too damn expensive right now

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

You bring back a fond...and disappointing memory with Turok; more specifically, Turok 2. I cannot remember why I played them in reverse; Turok 2 and then Turok 1. I actually did the same thing with the SOCOM: US Navy Seals games. Hmm. Yet, the memory I remember is when I played Turok 2, I was unaware of the need for a memory card. I was used to the SNES where everything saved on the cartridge, and at the time the PlayStation 1 was still new and we did not own it.

I remember playing for hours on the weekend playing Turok 2 and the frustration of the system overheating and shutting off, or the game would randomly freeze for one reason or another and losing EVERYTHING. For some odd reason, my friends told me to buy the expansion pack. Somehow it was believed this would rectify the situation. Please remember, most of us did not have access to the internet back then and I had to rely upon and trust their judgment.

I had to save up enough money over a few months before I could buy the actual memory card and play. By that time, I never went back to finished it. I actually never beat Turok 2 until over 20 years later after I built my retro game room and my oldest daughter asked me to play it. It took a few days, because, you know.....responsibilties, but I finally did.

@SOedipus said:

Get the N64. The controller is fine. I believe memory packs are used for certain games. I remember using one for Turok. Other than that I had the rumble pack in.

Thank you for the random memory!

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#28 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I've always preferred the GameCube. I'm not a big fan of the N64, to be honest. It hasn't aged very well.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2074 Posts

The only game I enjoyed on the GameCube was Metroid Prime.