WiseAssGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WiseAssGamer
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

I’m posting my latest video around, getting it some views. Well hey, the 80’s and 90’s gave us a lot of cool shit.

https://youtu.be/H3s4ih45Yaw

Gamergurl98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gamergurl98
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

The 80s and 90s gave the best games

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@gamergurl98: I've been gaming since the 2600 era, I haven't seen a generation that hasn't given the "best" games.

Gamergurl98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gamergurl98
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

@vfighter: just my personal opinion really.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Yep, 40 years old here too. I love the fact that I got to grow up owning or playing on everything from a ZX81 to a PS4. I will probably never stop enjoying gaming.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I am a 50 year old gamer and I have been playing since 1980 but I think THIS is the best era of gaming ever.

I attribute that the explosion of indie titles like Space Engineers (for one example)

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I'm not sure if I would say an era specifically provides the best games, but different years within the era have a lot of classic releases all at once. For instance, I feel that 2017 is going to be looked back as a particularly phenomenal year just like 1991, 1998, 2001, and 2008 were.

vice86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vice86
Member since 2016 • 40 Posts

Been getting back into 90's gaming and remembering there sure were a lot of beat 'em ups.

EDIT: 45 year old gamer and finally built a bartop cabinet. Yay! My ex-gf used to tell me I'm too old to be playing video games. Key word "ex-gf"

wesall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wesall
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

i be 50 but mostly pc games these days..lol

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@gamergurl98 said:

The 80s and 90s gave the best games

completely disagree.

I am a 50 year old gamer and I think what is happening just in the past 3 years in what could be called the AA indie market is the best thing that has ever happened in my 37 years of gaming. Games like Ark, Rust, The Forest, Subnautica....are you kidding me? nothing REMOTELY as good as those games...EVER.

in my opinion

Gilgalad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gilgalad
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I'm 39 and my first machine was an old Atari. Every generation has had amazing games. Fundamentally it comes down to design and how much enjoyment you get out of the games. You can't really compare the size and immersive nature of modern games to those of the 80's and 90's but for their time they were amazing. Things move on graphically but the basics always remain the same. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. But if you play the original Mariokart for example now, do you get the same buzz as playing the lastest version? Probably for an hour, once you've completed it, as its so easy :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I'm 32 and been gaming since 1993 with the SNES as my first console and now, I'm a PC gamer since 2007 when Crysis release.

Edit: I kinda own just about every consoles from each gen, but Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 era was the best I have ever enjoy gaming on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I’m a 40 year old gamer, although from the UK so the spectrum 48k and the Atari ST are my retro. My first console was a SNES.

I recently picked up a SNES mini to relive all the classics. But to be far most didn’t hold my interest for as long as I thought they would. I had a quick go on all of them and soon went back to Modern games like Dark Souls and Odyssey

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

31 here. The NES was my first console but I picked up an Atari later.

I have to say the PS2, Xbox and GameCube generation was my favorite

jeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jeet
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

26 and still playing retro.

rtehrani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 rtehrani
Member since 2003 • 1485 Posts

34, been gaming since 5 years old and just going backwards in gaming. The new shit is too corporate. Playing a lot of dreamcast and GameCube and currently setting up a retro game room.

vgconline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vgconline
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

@rtehrani: sega satrun and sega cd have some cool rpg's that I couldn't afford as a kid... worth playing now, great pacing, not a ton of grinding like many modern turn based rpgs

Avatar image for superretrogamer
SuperRetroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperRetroGamer
Member since 2018 • 65 Posts

The 80's was golden age of video games. The best computer age ever!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

31 here SNES was my first console, best era of gaming for me was PS1 generation.

I can admit I think that because I was young though so nostalgia.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I'm in my mid 40s and grew up playing various 'consoles' and early 8bit computers from long gone manufacturers.

Obviously today's games are a quantum leap in terms of, well, everything but those old games do have a special place with me still.

I forget the name but if memory serves me correct it was a game on the commodore vic 20 and the whole idea was to go from one side of the screen to the other, that's it, sounds ridiculous now but back then it was state of the art.

Avatar image for superretrogamer
SuperRetroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperRetroGamer
Member since 2018 • 65 Posts

I agree, that The 80s and 90s gave the best games. Great times! I wish to return back to my childhood.

tdacey24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tdacey24
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Swag is what it is.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

I’ll be 40 in 4 years. I’ll never stop gaming unless VR takes over or something of that nature.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@vfighter: Yup. Each generation has its charm. However game design has improved vastly in the last ten years or so, and games are generally more accessible and user-friendly today. There were so many stupid design choices in the 8-bit era that frustrated the hell out of gamers. Just watch some Angry Video Game Nerd episodes and you know what I mean..,

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

39 and have been playing since 83\84. I love all eras of gaming but I specially love PC gaming from 91 to 97. I had consoles too but I think consoles nowadays offer a much more interesting and diverse line up of than back then.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts
@deactivated-5c18005f903a1 said:

I recently picked up a SNES mini to relive all the classics. But to be far most didn’t hold my interest for as long as I thought they would. I had a quick go on all of them and soon went back to Modern games like Dark Souls and Odyssey

That's because SNES is legit overhyped. Nintendo went all out on the BS that gen but those games don't hold up. Go play some Mega Drive games and realise what 16 bit consoles were all about.

@pmanden: However game design has improved vastly in the last ten years or so, and games are generally more accessible and user-friendly today.

'Improved' and 'accessible' are words you are using for easy and simple here.

They make a AAA spiderman game and it is almost completable by a paraplegic (no offense paraplegic's but your lack of limbs is objectively a hindrance to playing video games).

This has made almost no new genre's or mechanics outside crafting and usually take an old game and just recycle the character or world design or one mechanic from that game and just refine it down and apply it to the latest graphics engine.

Coding is now Unity and games run poorly in relation to the power of the current hardware.

Using engine's and asset libraries to build games has democratised development but at the cost of flooding the market and polarising it with A developers consistently flipping assets, AA dev's getting way too much hype for simple games and AAA dev's just oozing corporate greed from every pixel.

But the industry is bigger than ever and with MS and SONY came a more corporate philosophy underpinning hardware and software. More calculated, risk averse and less consumer friendly.

More mid level studios like Relic are who make the actually good games. But as game design takes a back seat to in game payment design, even your favourite studios fall prey to corporate/shareholder greed and game design suffers.

I blame Infograms for buying, squeezing then dissolving almost every development studio in Europe.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@jackamomo: In 2018, there are more Megadrive games that I want to play than SNES "classics". Currently playing Shining Force. However, the SNES does have some titles that hold up well today : Street Fighter 2 (though I prefer the arcade version), Super Mario World, Castlevania, and the brilliant Final Fantasy 5 and 6.

But games like Starfox, Final Fight, F-Zero and Super Tennis are probably only fun for about 10 minutes.

Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

Well, i'm 37 and I still game. Currently, I am playing classic pc games.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Nothing..

I'm half your age and don't think anything of it...

...Ok maybe not but younger and it makes no difference to me.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Keep it up the gaming. It’s good for you, me talking gaming is stimulating.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

39 here. My journey through gaming has been:

Collecovision - ZX Spectrum - PC 286/386/486 - Sega Saturn - SNES (yup, went back a gen) - Dreamcast - PS3 - PS4

My list of top games:

Chaos the Battle of Wizards (ZX), classic Doom (i play it on ps3 with my vr headset, yes it works!), Final Fight Double Impact, Megadrive/Genesis Collection (for online Streets of Rage 2), Valkyria Chronicles, XCOM Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Street Fighter V (as spectator only).

So Chaos is basically the only thing that has truly passed the test of time on the zx spectrum imo. I still play Chase HQ to be fair, but it hasnt aged quite so well. The two best retro brawlers, FF and SoR2, both have online functionality now which is immensely enjoyable (especially as i am very dominant in these games, after grinding for years trying and failing to be great at fighters). One annoying thing is that the PS4 version of Final Fight, on the beatemup collection, is vastly inferior to the PS3's Double Impact edition, but luckily you can play it on the ps4's streaming service psnow. Chaos creator Julian Gollop's X-COM received the ultimate reboot treatment and my only wish is that it was more popular so we had more XCOM games on the way (heres hoping for XCOM 3 at some point though). Valkyria Chronicles was a beautiful game which SEGA has sadly mangled to the point where VC4 has me raging and its RIDICULOUS "story" (meanwhile the gameplay and ui is entirely unchanged. Lazy). Everybody's Gone to the Rapture flexes this gen's INCREDIBLE visuals while not having any pewpew shooty nonsense, instead generating a very eery and creepy tone without resorting to jump scares. Again, I just wish it was more popular so we got more in this style.

Resident Evil 7 is also incredible on VR bit is too terrifying for me to finish.

So looking at my list, seems I prefer the older stuff but given a new spin through online functionality (id never play the two brawlers offline for too long, whats the fun with no partner to troll?!). I spent years playing Street Fighter but it gradually became a spectator sport for me, and now I know all the top players on the Capcom Pro Tour which i follow closely. The one instance where time has not helped is Doom... I dont especially like the new reboot, but no classic Doom is available on ps4 or PSNow, which means i cant stream it. I generally play it on ps3 with vr headset but yes i should be on pc. I guess even my laptop could handle it. Cant quite be bothered tho. And i wouldnt be able to use my headset. I think they deliberately wont give us ps4 classic so as not to interfere with the new Doom bc they secretly know the old one is better, which sucks.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

34 here and I been gaming since the early 90's during SNES era and still gaming today's standards. Gaming is my number 1 hobby.

Edit: Oh crap, I didn't notice this is a necro thread and I can see I already post here almost 2 years ago.