Horrible N64 picture quality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

undeadninja125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 undeadninja125
Member since 2014 • 37 Posts

I bought an N64 from my local game store to play some of my childhood games, but I had to return the console and exchange it due to a faulty expansion pak. They give me a very nice looking N64 with an official Nintendo expansion pak installed. I get it home, and plug it in and boot up Ocarina of Time. Upon waking up at my house, I notice the hearts are very blurry. It was strange, but I play on. I go to the castle, and notice that all of the sprites that are not within a "visual range" are very blurry. I press start and boot into the menu, and the menu with all the text looks awful. The text is barely distinguishable. I start talking to some NPCs, and the text is pretty much unreadable. I thought that it was maybe the third party multi-output AV cable they included, so I went back to the exchange the cable with the one that I had with my previous console (which looked amazing, even on my 50 inch HDTV). It looked exactly the same, and even when playing on my CRT TV, text looks horrible, especially red text.

Side note: The console that I traded back looked really good. I traded it in due to constant freezing, especially in OoT. I had taken it apart before I returned it, and had discovered that the previous owner had spilled something in it, so while I could've just swapped out the expansion pak, I choose to swap out the whole console.

What could be the problem? Maybe the console is a refurbished one and the av port they put on the board is faulty or low quality? It's really upsetting me because I don't want to have to exchange for a third console, because I'd most likely get the old one back. The console I had before I exchanged looked really good on all of my TVs. I don't know why this one looks so bad.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@undeadninja125:

I ran into this with every old console I've tried to play from Xbox/ Ps2 and below. The picture quality is always blurry and fuzzy. I thought it was normal.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Try hooking it up to a TV from the 1990's?

undeadninja125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 undeadninja125
Member since 2014 • 37 Posts

@dr_vancouver: I did. The reds are horrible and text is almost too blurry to read. I've changed the AV cable three times and it looks the same.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@undeadninja125: I just want to say sorry for the late reply.

If your gaming Retro in under a HDTV, you may want to try one of those HD Video Converter (format signal to 720P/1080P HDMI signal output) and that should do the job. Click this red Link: HD Video Converter (format signal to 720P/1080P HDMI signal output) and give it a try, it might work on N64 games.

PixLakaRokuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By PixLakaRokuu
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Mordern TVs have a feature where you can turn up the sharpness of the image.

There is usually a Noise reducer too. So try and get a modern tv with some extra features and maybe that would make it look better. When I turn on my Gamecube, I always turn up my sharpness and noise reducer to get rid of nasty blurs.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/user/mylifeingaming/videos?disable_polymer=1

Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts