Classics revived! Old friends finally returning at E3, are you excited to see them?

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Classics revived! Old friends finally returning at E3, are you excited to see them? (10 votes)

Doom (4) 40%
Earthbound Beginnings 0%
Final Fantasy VII Remake 30%
Shenmue III 30%
Other? 0%

I'm actually surprised we're seeing some solid classic series returning in various ways. Anybody excited to see any of these titles? Maybe revisiting prior entries again in anticipation? I'd like to hear what people think of these announcements and what they and their predecessors may mean to you. For me finally seeing Doom again is great and I'm actually astonished Shenmue III is finally happening (that Kickstarter's soaring even faster than Bloodstained's it seems!)

Doom (4) - After a decade passing since Doom 3 and a tumultuous development history, Doom has finally re-emerged.

Earthbound Beginnings - An official localization of the original Mother, the predecessor to Earthbound (Mother 2.)

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Almost a decade of rumors, teasing, and jokes. It's now an official thing at last.

Shenmue III - After 14 long years since Shenmue II's cliffhanger, Yu Suzuki's finally taking the helm to continue the Dreamcast legend proper.

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Very excited for Doom and Final Fantasy VII. I wasn't really into Shenmue and I never played Earthbound (my friends give me shit for that).

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

Have you ever played Brutal Doom? It looks like the new Doom is taking cues from the mod.

Meanwhile Shenmue 3 has already reached its initial funding goal. It looks like Bloodstain's kickstarter records will be challenged fast.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Don't forget the Rare Replay collection! 30 games for $30 and it has Battletoads Arcade playable on home console for the first time. (which is way better than NES Battletoads) More exciting than Earthbound Beginnings imo.

My vote goes to Shenmue III though. I'm glad that story will finally be given the chance to close.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The Last Guardian has finally resurfaced. This game was announced in 2007 and was supposed to have come out for PS3. It'll be the first proper game from that team since Ico and SotC on PS2, not counting remasters.

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Shenmue III, but more so for my friends that are big fans of the series. I'm also hoping seeing it shatter kickstarter records gets SEGA to start thinking about reinvesting in their older IP's.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eikichi-Onizuka

I think Super Mario Maker would also fit this thread with the SMB/SMB3/SMW styles.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I am a bit more excited for Rare replay, Final Fantasy 7 remake, and Doom so having old series return is great. I even like that the Last Guardian is finally getting released in 2016. Almost 10 years after it was announced. Taking control of a giant Hyena/bird thing is a strange premise for a game. But I kinda like it. Plus old school Doom looks good

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

Also, I am extremely excited for the new star fox game being made by platinum games. I am cautiously optimistic about Doom 4 as well. I sort of liked Doom 3, but it was all just jump scares and felt completely different from the old Doom games.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Exceed20XX

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Both are valid choices indeed, though my initial post was more honing in on the more mythical/vaporware. I mean how long have FF fans gone back and forth over the existence of a VII Remake? Doom hit a long development hell, Shenmue III hit....hell. Earthbound's been consistently ignored by Western Nintendo til recently. Star Fox Zero definitely qualifies as return from MIA (along with the seemingly contended 3DS Metroid.) The Last Guardian as a continuation of Ico/SotC is another definite vaporware qualifier, even Sony internals thought it was dead. Then we can also lump the new Star Wars Battlefront, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy XV (formerly the vaporware Versus XIII) into the real and present category.

This E3 felt like it addressed a lot of long missing follow ups for many different fan bases. Aside of Half-Life 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2 could anybody else think of a prominent game that vanished from the public eye a while back and hasn't returned yet? It feels like a lot of bases have been cover this year.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

The Sony and Square Enix conferences were awesome.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - I've always thought that SE would use this as their "Get out of Jail Free" card when they mess up and are financially almost at a dead end. Don't care though; I really love Final Fantasy VII. Now if they'd just remake IX too...

Shenmue 3 - I played the previous titles back when I was in grade 10 (15 y/o at the time). I felt pretty gutted the second game ended in a cliff hanger. A couple of days before E3, a pic of Ryo's Jacket along with 3 petals was leaked. I had high hopes about Shenmue 3 announcement, but then Shenmuedojo confirmed its fake. I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that the third game is actually being made.

The Last Guardian - Was a PS3 game when it was first announced so should be allowed... The gameplay section they showed was amazing. Especially the last bit where the kid misses the creature and falls down. Did not expect the creature to use its tail to catch him. Thought that was very cool.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Exceed20XX

@fend_oblivion: That final part got me as well! xD I was like uh-oh whoever demonstrated goofed. Thankfully so many series have just proven too tough for development hell to contain (yes, a random Doom quote) so I'm hoping they all fair well and do their predecessors some justice.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

@Exceed20XX said:

@fend_oblivion: That final part got me as well! xD I was like uh-oh whoever demonstrated goofed. Thankfully so many series have just proven too tough for development hell to contain (yes, a random Doom quote) so I'm hoping they all fair well and do their predecessors some justice.

Yeah :D I really liked how they made the creature hesitant. It reminded me of my Labrador fuzz bucket, Cinna, when she was a puppy and near stairs :P Bonus points for Team ICO.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eikichi-Onizuka

@Exceed20XX said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Both are valid choices indeed, though my initial post was more honing in on the more mythical/vaporware. I mean how long have FF fans gone back and forth over the existence of a VII Remake? Doom hit a long development hell, Shenmue III hit....hell. Earthbound's been consistently ignored by Western Nintendo til recently. Star Fox Zero definitely qualifies as return from MIA (along with the seemingly contended 3DS Metroid.) The Last Guardian as a continuation of Ico/SotC is another definite vaporware qualifier, even Sony internals thought it was dead. Then we can also lump the new Star Wars Battlefront, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy XV (formerly the vaporware Versus XIII) into the real and present category.

This E3 felt like it addressed a lot of long missing follow ups for many different fan bases. Aside of Half-Life 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2 could anybody else think of a prominent game that vanished from the public eye a while back and hasn't returned yet? It feels like a lot of bases have been cover this year.

Yeah I gotcha. I think Rare Replay still counts because of Battletoads Arcade, awesome to finally get it on home console after all this time(exclusive to arcade since 1994).

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Exceed20XX

@Eikichi-Onizuka: Well some hint of Battletoads was teased a while back, I didn't expect it in this format but hey. Makes me think about the SNES one now...

@fend_oblivion: Yeah it's like an evolution of Agro where the AI is intended to be portrayed realistically and not be 100% predictable and controlled by the player.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Excited about every one of them to be honest. Doom 4 really tickles my fancy out of all of them. I will pick them all up if they're good.