Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

Poll Arcade or Home Console? (38 votes)

Arcade FTW! 42%
Home Console master race! 58%

A fun question to you guys which one did you preffer back then?

(looking at gameplay, feel and quallity) Not at the cost!

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56029 Posts

OP added because dumb bugs are dumb ~DD
A fun question to you guys which one did you prefer back then? (looking at gameplay, feel and quality) Not at the cost!

My Answer still remains, Home Consoles were I can play for free. BTW, Poll threads are still a buggy mess which is why I ask the mods to lock my previous poll thread on OT.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

can't read OP(stupid bug's still there laying eggs)

I see you're a penny smelter,I prefer home console...rarely had arcade titles in it,but it's free on the second chance.

speaking of arcades..do you enjoy video arcade or prize,or kiddie rides sports?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@davillain-: But if we don't look at the cost: Ye olde consoles Vs Yo Olde Arcade?

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#4 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Despite being a fan of fighting games, I've always been more of a console person, even with fighting games. I never even got the chance to play the Arcades much back in the day anyway.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I grew up playing in Arcades, at that time consoles sucked, the console versions of arcade games were absolutely horrendous, besides THE ARCADE was a place where you met with friends, burned quarters like crazy and socialized with .... girls !!! ( oh yeah ! ), you may be young but at 16 it´s time when you begin looking at girls in a different way.

Didn´t begin playing on consoles until I purchased my PS1, but by that time I was already married and 35 years old, by that time Arcades were almost an extinct species. Actually, I have purchased several games I used to play at the arcades, I need a stick to play Pacman !!!! it´s hard to play it with a controller.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Smashbrossive50

if I am to chose arcade..then behold...the arcade that created my button-masher skills,it's meant for 3 to enjoy,but one is good enough

and this arcade machine is a 2-player compulsory machine(if you get my thing...one does not simplify,play this machine on your own)

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Smashbrossive50

@TAMKFan said:

Despite being a fan of fighting games, I've always been more of a console person, even with fighting games. I never even got the chance to play the Arcades much back in the day anyway.

I can feel the pain,and I imagine this might happen to you if you have your hands on them

skip to 0:17 of the video

Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Definitely home console - just never got into the arcade vibe

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Arcades. We used to have arcades up here, where you paid per hour, with all the machines set to infinite credits. Was such a blast to pay up 3 hours of mad goodness :D The home consoles did however have thier great advantages aswell.

The old JRPGs, most times I preferred platformers on the console (and still do).

But most games? Yeah I preferred the arcades for those.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Arcades for me. We used to have arcades everywhere even in restaurants so i kinda grew up with them

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Arcades were good when they were more powerful than consoles. Hard to compare them though...different experience.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Smashbrossive50

@n64dd: this is the table comparison as much as I can learn of

ArcadeHome Console
publicprivate (public for events outside home)
not portableportable
requires huge amount of energyrequires an average to high amount of energy
extremely difficult to maintaineasy to difficult maintenance
pioneer in motion capture*follower in motion capture*
one game for each machinemore than one type of game playable in a single machine
it pays to play a sessionobviously pay first,then play all you want
requires large amounts of spacerequires little space
exclusively found in arcade facilities,or amusement side of the mallself explanatory
peripherals includedperipherals included and extras sold separately
controllers are strapped and plugged to the machine at all timescontrollers are strapped and plugged to the machine at your own will
no fuss multiplayerlittle to big fuss multiplayer
changes in progress(high scores) made without notice(overwritten by a stranger)changes in progress made with notice(overwrite at your own risk)
doesn't save your progressprogress saved at will
no external saving devices (you can if you record it with a camera)external(internal as of now) saving devices used (extras sold separately)
certain machines give you prizes directlyprizes given during events involving the console
gives you tickets for additional prize in exchange at the gift exchange.........

it's hardly accurate as I don't go to arcades as often as I used to back then.

*=I might get this wrong too,

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

69,000 games loaded into a custom hand crafted Mame arcade machine for $2,500?

http://www.tinyarcademachines.com/

Yeah I'd take that over console any day of the week...

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

They are different experiences, should be a both option.

I guess if I had to pick one though it'd be console for price and convenience. (to above mentioning custom MAME machines that would be awesome but I'm good with maintenance for stuff like that, so still console)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It was always both.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I am a home console person. There was not many (or any really) arcades near me so when I got into gaming (around the era of the Nintendo 64/PlayStation One) then that was where my time was spent. However I did and still do enjoy having a go on arcade's when I am with friends. We have done a bit of the shooters (such as Time Crisis) and racing games like Crazy Taxi. Good times.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#17 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

For games that appeared on consoles later I'd prefer console, purely because it was less effort involved (and cheaper in the long run). My favourite games were mostly ones that appeared on consoles too, though there certainly were a few memorable arcade games that I wish I still had the option to play without having to waste over an hour on travel time and then additional money just to play. Consoles win out purely on the convenience factor in the end for me. Ignoring costs and convenience (where consoles win), honestly I couldn't choose - there was definitely something special about playing at an arcade instead of at home on a console, but ultimately my favourite games were still largely available on console sooner or later.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

home console.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Late 80s/Early 90s=Arcades>Consoles: I played over 40 arcade games so I know how awesome it was back then.

Consoles overall though.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

Consoles. As much as I liked the better power of arcade machines (especially during the earlier generations) I never grew to care for the control setup much surprisingly.

Moonco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Moonco  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 3848 Posts

I spent all day at the arcades (sometimes skipping school) as a kid. During our Disney World family vacation in the 90s, my parents gave me $20 to spend on souvenirs. Instead of buying a Mickey Mouse t-shirt or Pluto stuffed animal, I spend the whole amount playing Space Harrier. The moving cabinet gave me a very sore neck ache but I kept inserting quarters because the graphics and gameplay were so amazing. Flying around the Fantasy Zone all morning back when I was just a little kid still puts a big smile on my face.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#22 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I love arcades. I go with my daughter at least once a month. But even though I love going to arcades, I still think I like playing at home on a console.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I like both for different reasons. I always had a ton of home console games, but arcades were kind of like community hangouts back then.

nazurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nazurak
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

Home Console

skaertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By skaertus
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

Back then, I preferred arcade games. They came out first, and they were far more powerful. Ports to home consoles were always lacking something in quality. And some of them never made it. I just loved to play TMNT, The Simpsons, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, Captain Commando, Mortal Kombat, Cruisin' USA, and so on.

But now I realize that some games for home consoles are really great, and have much more depth than games developed for arcades.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

It was hard to top arcade machines back in the day, and I'm a huge console fan. But until the genesis and snes hit arcade games were miles beyond what home consoles could do and it felt truly special going to an arcade and playing them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Arcades before the SNES/Genesis era.

Home consoles after that.

skaertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skaertus

@vfighter said:

It was hard to top arcade machines back in the day, and I'm a huge console fan. But until the genesis and snes hit arcade games were miles beyond what home consoles could do and it felt truly special going to an arcade and playing them.

@pyro1245 said:

Arcades before the SNES/Genesis era.

Home consoles after that.

Even after Genesis and SNES were released, arcade machines were still better. The gap was seriously reduced, but both Genesis and SNES were inferior to the arcades at the time. Technical specifications were not on par, and the cost of ROM carts forced developers to "water down" many games. Neo Geo was the only videogame that could compete with arcades, but it was priced too high and had only SNK games, which were very expensive as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Arcades 80's to 1996 then console after.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7219 Posts

For me the mega drive was the first console to allow arcade quality on a home console. Since then it's been console.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@skaertus: Where did I say otherwise? Arcade games were better all the way up until arcades died, even the dreamcast couldn't compete with arcade games. But the Genesis and Snes closed the gap enough that most didn't care. Games like Golden Axe, SF2, etc all were slightly better at the arcade but the home versions were so close it didn'tt matter.

skaertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By skaertus
@vfighter said:

@skaertus: Where did I say otherwise? Arcade games were better all the way up until arcades died, even the dreamcast couldn't compete with arcade games. But the Genesis and Snes closed the gap enough that most didn't care. Games like Golden Axe, SF2, etc all were slightly better at the arcade but the home versions were so close it didn'tt matter.

Sorry, I had understood otherwise. Arcade games were better, and consoles slowly closed the gap. Genesis and SNES were far less powerful, but I never played Street Fighter 2 on arcades again after I bought the SNES version (I played the Champion Edition, though). So, it did not matter to me as well, I guess, although I recognize the arcade version was better.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I would have to pick consoles for one reason - Arcade to Home Console ports have always intrigued me, especially when they started becoming nearly perfect versions on the likes of the Dreamcast.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for MS DOS was fantastic. So was Sunset Riders on the SNES. And who could forget Crazy Taxi and Golden Axe for the Sega systems, among others.

Of course there were many other ports that didn't quite hit the mark, but it has always intrigued me when developers were able to faithfully recreate something ambitious on inferior hardware.