Would Biden be labelled a racist if he was a Republican?

• 53 results
Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Biden has made a huge number of rather colorful statements on race and I was wondering if Biden would be attacked as a racist and white supremacist if he was a Republican. For example, the students interviewed seem to think a lot of Biden's statements are proof of racism when they think Trump said them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijV8Xm2uRG0

Statements like:

For example, opposing busing in the 1970s saying it codifies the concept that a black is inferior to a white."

2006: You Can’t Go To a 711 or Dunkin’ Donuts In Delaware ‘Without A Slight Indian Accent’

https://youtu.be/sM19YOqs7hU?t=17

2007: Saying that Iowa school were better than those in Washington due to the lack of blacks and minorities

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/24/AR2007102402716.html?noredirect=on

Calling Obama "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”

2012: Told a black audience if Republican win“they gonna put y’all back in chains.”

2019: Said "Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids"

There are probably a whole bunch more. So why don't people recoil at the idea of voting or even supporting Biden since he's a racist the same way they do with Trump. I know a lot in the press also called Reagan, Bush 41 Bush 43, and Romney racist. Yet Biden is not dismissed as racist? What is the standard for labeling someone as racist? Is it just the letter next to their name?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

That 2006 quote was hilarious.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

yes he would, all republicans are labeled as racists by democrats for at least the last 25 years. Its kind of been the lefts go to talking point for a long time. Its honestly ridiculous how every 4 years whoever the republican is running, everyone on the left calls them racist.

If fuckin mr. Rodgers ran as a republican leftists would call him racist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@jeezers: Not the Democrats fault the Republicans keep nominating racists.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jeezers

@thegreatchomp: democrats pander to minorities with identity politics, claim the republicans are racist, then dont do shit for them when they win.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

A few of the podcasts I listen to do in fact call him a racist, straight up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@jeezers: Not even true. Democrats do way more for minorities than Republicans, who do nothing for anybody.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jeezers

@thegreatchomp: they dont do shit

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

@jeezers said:

@thegreatchomp: democrats pander to minorities with identity politics, claim the republicans are racist, then dont do shit for them when they win.

Republicans do this is as well. Literally all politics since the beginning of history is “identity politics“ when it comes down to it. You haven’t been paying close enough attention.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@leicam6: Don’t bother. He doesn’t care.

@jeezers: You’re right, Republicans don’t do shit. Social Security and other safety nets are Democrat back. Republicans block all safety nets and then claim Democrats don’t do anything.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jeezers

@thegreatchomp: welfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@jeezers: Ugh. Read what I said, now go look at the history of the two parties and please stop talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Biden is labelled racist by a lot of Democrats already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@phbz: Liberals as well. Progressives don’t like him.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@phbz said:

Biden is labelled racist by a lot of Democrats already.

Yeah, pretty much this...

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@jeezers said:

@thegreatchomp: welfare

Yes we are aware Red states and counties are welfare queens that mooch off of blue states and counties. What is your point?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:

yes he would, all republicans are labeled as racists by democrats for at least the last 25 years. Its kind of been the lefts go to talking point for a long time. Its honestly ridiculous how every 4 years whoever the republican is running, everyone on the left calls them racist.

If fuckin mr. Rodgers ran as a republican leftists would call him racist.

Nah, just the ones who are literally racist or do/say racist things.

You are aware of what the Southern Strategy was right?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

People lack the awareness to understand the terms racist and racism mean absolutely nothing these days because both are tossed around quite liberally and without consideration. Saying something looked upon as offensive by others does not necessarily mean racism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@zaryia: His point is he is saying republicans created welfare. Think dude.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

@thegreatchomp said:

@zaryia: His point is he is saying republicans created welfare. Think dude.

Created?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

@jeezers: I don’t really recall the race card being so often jumped to nearly as much as before Trump came to prominence. Are you sure you’re not conflating political affiliations for personal attribute?

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maxpowers_32

@Solaryellow said:

People lack the awareness to understand the terms racist and racism mean absolutely nothing these days because both are tossed around quite liberally and without consideration. Saying something looked upon as offensive by others does not necessarily mean racism.

Exactly!

You know the song from the Lego movie "everything is awesome"? You could make a parody song saying "Everything is racist". Milk, math, trees, etc are all called racist these days.

It seems like saying "racist" is just an excuse now to try to attack people and shut down basic facts. I am genuinely shocked that so many Democrats keep calling Trump "racist" and when I ask them they say things like "he just is" or point to things that he never said and have been taken out of context. His whole life he'd never been called racist, then the minute he puts an "R" next to his name suddenly he's considered to be this horrible racist.

If you take statements that Biden, Bloomberg, Warren, or any other Democrat said and tell people Trump said them they will say that it's proof that he's racist. Not only statements, but general policies as well.

Aside from all his gaffes Biden has many all kinds of potentially offensive statements and yet he's the Democratic parties nominee. So I'm really curious if you told people a Republican said or voted for a number of things he's said or done if they would say he's racist.

What exactly is the burden of proof for being able to determine how someone feels about different racial groups?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

@MirkoS77: The racist garbage came to a high point during the Obama years (No, not Obama's doing).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Solaryellow said:

It is thrown around sometimes unnecessarily...….but racists do exist and should not be tolerated.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

Well, yeah, obviously. Harris came within an inch of doing so in one of those early debates. I suspect the only reason she didn't is because you don't crap where you eat.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

He is racist, just like all 70+ year old white people are. Not that I am excusing it, but "different times" and all that.

With that said, if you are asking me if I am concerned he would be a racist leader, no...I don't think he would be.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic  Online

@mrbojangles25 said:

He is racist, just like all 70+ year old white people are. Not that I am excusing it, but "different times" and all that.

With that said, if you are asking me if I am concerned he would be a racist leader, no...I don't think he would be.

All seems a stretch.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maxpowers_32

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Solaryellow said:

It is thrown around sometimes unnecessarily...….but racists do exist and should not be tolerated.

What do you mean by racist? It gets thrown around so much I don't know what the word means anymore. Are all members of the Congressional Black Caucus racist, or La Raza (spanish for "the race"), the NAACP, or any group that works to promote a certain racial group?

I just don't understand why if so many Democrats just dismiss Trump and everything he does as "racist". Even if you take the Democratic party positions from 4+ years ago and tell them Trump proposed them they will say "that's proof Trump is racist". There are several things that Trump said that the media has misrepresented so people think he's said things he hasn't (such as calling Mexicans animals when he was talking about MS13), but even if he had said those things I don't see how they're any worse than was Biden has said or any other number of Democrats, including Obama or Sanders.

I know Kamala Harris called Biden out about busing, but she didn't call him a racist and you don't see democrats going on TV and in articles decrying him as a racist.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26080 Posts

Biden is labeled racist now. Don't share some fake narrative that Democrats ignore Biden's issues. They are harder on him than Republicans are.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Yes. To which he would reply, "I can't be racist. I had a black president".

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maxpowers_32

@Willy105 said:

Biden is labeled racist now. Don't share some fake narrative that Democrats ignore Biden's issues. They are harder on him than Republicans are.

Who has labeled Biden a racist? Can you give some examples of people in the press or mass groups of Democrats decrying him a racist?

Calling Trump a racist seems to be like a 1984 style slogan for Democrats. If you ask why and they say something false they don't want to hear the truth.

So I'm really curious if there are anchors on CNN saying "I hate to say it, but Democrats have nominated a racist as their party's nominee" or if there are groups of protesters saying they won't support a racist like Biden.

In my experience you could have a former KKK member like former Senator Robert Byrd or a guy who dressed in blackface next to a guy with a Klan outfit (current governor of Virginia) of Democrats will still support him as a long as it says "Democrat" next to his name.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@Maxpowers_32:

In my experience you could have a former KKK member like former Senator Robert Byrd or a guy who dressed in blackface next to a guy with a Klan outfit (current governor of Virginia) of Democrats will still support him as a long as it says "Democrat" next to his name.

As a former WV resident, no, not really. He was a long tenured senator elected in an all white state almost where few actually cared about race as an issue in 1959. In his later political career he was "reformed", but WV is mostly white, many Republican whom had no issue electing a Democrat "who was like them".

It would have been a substantial issue if he was elected this decade sure, but the difference between Trump racism and Dem racism is that Democrats come out and say "my bad", because they realize it's a pillar of the party right now. Trump and his company say he's not racist, bitch that they're being discriminated, than hire confirmed white supremacists like Stephen Miller and sponsor actual racially biased policy.

Which leaves Dems and "black face" or "the past" or whatever. Not really all that relevant to the voter base, more so to national media.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maxpowers_32

@wizard said:

@Maxpowers_32:

As a former WV resident, no, not really. He was a long tenured senator elected in an all white state almost where few actually cared about race as an issue in 1959. In his later political career he was "reformed", but WV is mostly white, many Republican whom had no issue electing a Democrat "who was like them".

It would have been a substantial issue if he was elected this decade sure, but the difference between Trump racism and Dem racism is that Democrats come out and say "my bad", because they realize it's a pillar of the party right now. Trump and his company say he's not racist, bitch that they're being discriminated, than hire confirmed white supremacists like Stephen Miller and sponsor actual racially biased policy.

Which leaves Dems and "black face" or "the past" or whatever. Not really all that relevant to the voter base, more so to national media.

Who confirmed that Stephen Miller is a racist? What racially biased policy has Trump ever supported? I know Democrats are in favor of all kinds of race based policies, but I haven't seen a single race based policy from the Trump administration.

Do you think statements like this are racist or indicate racist policy?

"But there are some areas that the federal government should not leave and should address and address strongly. One of these areas is the problem of illegal immigration. After years of neglect, this administration has taken a strong stand to stiffen the protection of our borders. We are increasing border controls by 50 percent. We are increasing inspections to prevent the hiring of illegal immigrants. And tonight, I announce I will sign an executive order to deny federal contracts to businesses that hire illegal immigrants.

Let me be very clear about this: We are still a nation of immigrants; we should be proud of it. We should honor every legal immigrant here, working hard to become a new citizen. But we are also a nation of laws."

Or

“When we use phases like ‘undocumented workers’ we convey a message to the American people that their government is not serious about combating illegal immigration...“People who enter the US without our permission are illegal aliens and illegal aliens should not be treated the same as people who entered the US legally"

You don't think it's at all racist for Democrats to praise a former Klansman in the senate? He was Hillary Clinton's mentor. She said he was "the heart of the senate". If Trump or any Republican governor or official was found dressed in blackface next to a KKK member you think the average Democratic voter would just say "it was in the past" and leave it alone? They went after Romney saying he pulled someone's hair in grade school.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@zaryia: We are also aware that Democrats are actually far more likely to use wellfare.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

And of the top 10 wellfare states 5 are deep blue two are swing states and three are red so no technically blue states are the wellfare queens.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/welfare-recipients-by-state/

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@r-gamer said:

@zaryia: We are also aware that Democrats are actually far more likely to use wellfare.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

And of the top 10 wellfare states 5 are deep blue two are swing states and three are red so no technically blue states are the wellfare queens.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/welfare-recipients-by-state/

But when the political lens shifts from partisanship to ideology, the participation gap vanishes. Self-described political conservatives were no more likely than liberals or moderates to have received food stamps (17% for each group), according to the survey.

And the top 10 list of welfare recipients is just the number of people, so not surprisingly states with larger populations will likely have more people

That list almost tracks the same as if you ranked the states by population

If you sort the list by recipients per 100k it puts New Mexico at the top, followed by Louisiana, West Virginia, DC , and Mississippi

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R-Gamer

@drlostrib:

"Of these, about one-in-five (22%) of Democrats say they had received food stamps compared with 10% of Republicans. About 17% of political independents say they have received food stamps."

So calling Red States wellfare queens and implying Republicans are more likely to use the program is in fact false!

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrLostRib

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib:

"Of these, about one-in-five (22%) of Democrats say they had received food stamps compared with 10% of Republicans. About 17% of political independents say they have received food stamps."

So calling Red States wellfare queens and implying Republicans are more likely to use the program is in fact false!

just pointing out that your own source indicates that food stamp usage seems pretty even across political ideology. Also, food stamps would be only one component of welfare

Further, didn't realize that pew survey is from 2012

And also, just pointing out that citing just that top 10 list is flawed

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zaryia

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib:

Those programs are less than 10% of Federal Assistance. I was talking about all of it, I used the general term "welfare" in a tongue and cheek manner as the GOP dies, my bad.

Now that I've cleared that up

The Most Conservative Counties Are the Ones That Get the Most Government Assistance

The 7 Biggest Deadbeat States Who Mooch Off Taxpayers All Vote Republican

https://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/15/7-biggest-deadbeat-states-federal-tax-dollars-voted-republican.html

AP FACT CHECK: Blue high-tax states fund red low-tax states

https://apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c/AP-FACT-CHECK:-Blue-high-tax-states-fund-red-low-tax-states

Most & Least Federally Dependent States

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Where Government Is a Dirty Word, but Its Checks Pay the Bills

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/business/economy/harlan-county-republican-welfare.html

It's amazing, we need to spend so much in Red States yet they still somehow manage to have trash HDI compared to Blue States.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts
@zaryia said:
@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib:

Those programs are less than 10% of Federal Assistance. I was talking about all of it, I used the general term "welfare" in a tongue and cheek manner as the GOP dies, my bad.

Now that I've cleared that up

The Most Conservative Counties Are the Ones That Get the Most Government Assistance

The 7 Biggest Deadbeat States Who Mooch Off Taxpayers All Vote Republican

https://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/15/7-biggest-deadbeat-states-federal-tax-dollars-voted-republican.html

AP FACT CHECK: Blue high-tax states fund red low-tax states

https://apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c/AP-FACT-CHECK:-Blue-high-tax-states-fund-red-low-tax-states

Most & Least Federally Dependent States

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Where Government Is a Dirty Word, but Its Checks Pay the Bills

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/business/economy/harlan-county-republican-welfare.html

It's amazing, we need to spend so much in Red States yet they still somehow manage to have trash HDI compared to Blue States.

Zaryia owning again, lol. Powned.

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#40 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 491 Posts

No, he wouldn't. Also, I'm a democrat and I don't automatically think every Republican is a racist.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By R-Gamer

@zaryia: Redherring!

You specifically said Wellfare queens. You were wrong when Democrats are in fact the wellfare queens. Go create another thread about government assistance and please stay off your alt accounts.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R-Gamer

@drlostrib: Just pointing out his statement is false. Any study we see shows on Average Democrats use more wellfare programs. This is no surprise because on average they make less money.

https://www.debt.org/faqs/americans-in-debt/economic-demographics-democrats/

He is now spinning government assistance programs ( which factors things like militarily benefits, infrastructure and farming) to spin the narrative.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrLostRib

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib: Just pointing out his statement is false. Any study we see shows on Average Democrats use more wellfare programs.

pretty sure your links did not show that

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R-Gamer

@drlostrib: Let's try one more time.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrLostRib

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib: Let's try one more time.

and as already noted:

That data is 8 years old.

It only notes usage of food stamps

And when divided by political ideology, shows no difference between the groups

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R-Gamer

@drlostrib: Pretty sure it did.. here's another

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/12/18/a-bipartisan-nation-of-beneficiaries/

I can't find One study that shows Republicans are more likely to use wellfare. That's why he was quick to spin it into government aid. Because states that spend the most defending and feeding our country are somehow equivalent to wellfare queens?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrLostRib

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib: Pretty sure it did.. here's another

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/12/18/a-bipartisan-nation-of-beneficiaries/

I can't find One study that shows Republicans are more likely to use wellfare. That's why he was quick to spin it into government aid. Because states that spend the most defending and feeding our country are somehow equivalent to wellfare queens?

Once again this is 8 years old and shows no difference between political ideologies.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By R-Gamer

@drlostrib: Other then Democrats use more. I also posted a financial study from 2016.. that those under the poverty line are more likely to be Democrats.

"An individual’s likelihood of being a Democrat decreases with every additional dollar he or she earns. Democrats have a huge advantage (63 percent) with voters earning less than $15,000 per year. This advantage carries forward for individuals earning up to $50,000 per year, and then turns in the Republicans’ favor — with just 36 percent of individuals earning more than $200,000 per year supporting Democrats.

Interestingly, the median household income in the United States is $49,777 — right near the point where the Democratic advantage disappears and the Republicans take over.

About half of Democrats express satisfaction with their personal financial situation, compared with 61 percent of Republicans and 52 percent of Independents."

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrLostRib

@r-gamer said:

@drlostrib: Other then Democrats use more. I also posted a financial study from 2016.. that those under the poverty line are more likely to be Democrats.

"An individual’s likelihood of being a Democrat decreases with every additional dollar he or she earns. Democrats have a huge advantage (63 percent) with voters earning less than $15,000 per year. This advantage carries forward for individuals earning up to $50,000 per year, and then turns in the Republicans’ favor — with just 36 percent of individuals earning more than $200,000 per year supporting Democrats.

Interestingly, the median household income in the United States is $49,777 — right near the point where the Democratic advantage disappears and the Republicans take over.

About half of Democrats express satisfaction with their personal financial situation, compared with 61 percent of Republicans and 52 percent of Independents."

Not sure what that all has to do with anything, but what you linked is not a financial study. And is once again using 8+ year old data

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zaryia
@r-gamer said:

@zaryia: Redherring!

You specifically said Wellfare queens

I was talking about all federal assistance, that was my mistake for using that term loosely. You're right I should have been more clear, and specifically stated by welfare I meant all assistance (as the GOP sometimes does). But I DID clear that up.

I just wish Red States would start giving their fair share one day. It's doubtful though, their economies and taxation simply can't allow that.