Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Source1

Source2

I haven't seen anyone talking about this here, or really anywhere else either. China is suffering from over 2 month long heat wave where temperatures have been between 35 C / 95 F to 45 C / 113 F. All the records have been broken.

This has caused dozens of rivers to dry up. Factories have been closed. Farms are suffering which will not help with food prices in the future. Electricity has been rationed.

I haven't seen a death toll, but this kind of heat wave and drought will kill a lot of people.

This is pretty much why in the latest climate report the UN warned that if actions are not taken, total societal collapse may follow.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Most of the world have broken their own records.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

We really have to do something about climate change. It's getting worse and worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@zaryia said:

We really have to do something about climate change. It's getting worse and worse.

But l thought it was a Chinese hoax? at least that's what Daddy Donald told me he's so strong he can flush so many things.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

My solution:

• Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Fusion, maybe...I hear it is coming close to fruition.
  • Wind power
  • Solar power
  • Water power (tide, dam, etc)
  • I mean literally fucking ANYTHING other than fossil fuels.

How do we pay for it? Start selling more oil. Yes, might seem counterintuitive, but if we sell more oil to foreign markets while converting our own MASSIVE POLLUTION COMPLEX to nuclear, then build up our infrastructure with sustainable sources, encourage people to get electric vehicles, come down hard on corporations, I think we can do it in 20 years.

Meanwhile those foreign markets will build up their industry, creating better trade partners and then when we have our shit together we can help them convert to sustainable sources like we did.

Just have to get the NIMBY's on board, they don't want nuclear planets within 50 miles of where they live.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25
@mattbbpl said:

Yeah well according to that one former NFL player China's bad air is going to float over here eventually so...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15585 Posts

Guys this is fine I mean this hurts the CCP and no one likes them anyway right?

Also the world is cycles, and also global cooling in the 70's, and also windmills cause cancer, and Al Gore is a Pizzagate, and more sea means more swimming and everyone likes a good swim! And lets not forget New York is close to sea level and we'll dunk all the democrats!

In conclusion nothing's wrong and we love coal.

Thank you for coming to my Ted X.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Hey man what are you talking about. It snows here in the winter.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8330 Posts

@mrbojangles25: this is a time we agree. We can build out renewables but let's pump out all the natty gas and oil we can at max volume now. Drill drill drill

And yeah let's build up our Nuclear

The world won't be transitioning completely for like another 100 years. Pump everything we can now to pay for it. Use the infastructure we have in place to make as much money we can to develop alternatives. Makes no sense to just keep it it in the ground.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hey man what are you talking about. It snows here in the winter.

Ah yes, how could I forget, as that [in]famous clip from 2014 showed us

Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

My solution:

• Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Wind power
  • Solar power

How do we pay for it? Start selling more oil. Yes, might seem counterintuitive, but if we sell more oil to foreign markets while converting our own MASSIVE POLLUTION COMPLEX to nuclear, then build up our infrastructure with sustainable sources, encourage people to get electric vehicles, come down hard on corporations, I think we can do it in 20 years.

Meanwhile those foreign markets will build up their industry, creating better trade partners and then when we have our shit together we can help them convert to sustainable sources like we did.

Just have to get the NIMBY's on board, they don't want nuclear planets within 50 miles of where they live.

We also need to get a whole lot less addicted to electricity use. How about using solar thermal collectors for heating? Develop tech that consumes less power (which to be fair, is what we are doing a lot in europe), provide greater insulation and natural cooling systems (looking at you Gulf State countries*).

*Gulf State countries used to have a lot of natural cooling in their infrastructure, but this "high tech aesthetic" modernity delusion, meant they shifted it away for more modern, and unsustainable means.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maroxad
@sargentd said:

@mrbojangles25: this is a time we agree. We can build out renewables but let's pump out all the natty gas and oil we can at max volume now. Drill drill drill

And yeah let's build up our Nuclear

The world won't be transitioning completely for like another 100 years. Pump everything we can now to pay for it. Use the infastructure we have in place to make as much money we can to develop alternatives. Makes no sense to just keep it it in the ground.

Or how about instead of investing in increasingly cost inefficient energy sources, we invest in nuclear, solar, wind, geothermal and hydro? And other futures that actually have a future.

These are already more cost effective now than fossil fuels, why waste money?

And once again... the fossil fuel companies are the ones who decide how much to drill. And they are taking full advantage of the current crude oil shortage crisis.

Seriously, after the Arab Oil Embargo, Iranian Revolution, Iraq-Kuwait Invasion, OPEC cutbacks, Arab Spring, War in Iraq, Venzualian worker strike and now the Russian Invasion on Ukraine. It is time to realize we can not really rely on oil. We need to transition out of that resource ASAP.

On a side note, my country only uses fossil fuels for heating and transportation. If we can do it, several US states should be able to achieve the same results.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3472 Posts

My freezer has ice, I don't see how global warming can be real.

Anyway, it's funny to see how deep the ideological roots of the far right are directly fed from big oil that they went from "global warming is fake, we need to drill drill drill" to "global warming is real, we need to drill drill drill".

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1409 Posts

Everywhere the heat is on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_European_heat_waves

From 14 to 20 June, Germany saw 1,636 probable heat-related deaths attributed to temperatures reaching 39.2 °C (102.6 °F).

The draught that came with the heat wasn't a result of climate change alone. Mono culture is also a big contributer. The Forests are hit hard too. Next summer the devastation will be exponetial, because the weakend flora won't have enough time recuperate.

@zaryia said:

Who is we? People love to squabble amongst each other.

Have a quick look at a graph on the following webside.

https://ourworldindata.org/energy-production-consumption

Energy production and consumption 1800-2019. In the past 20 years was there anything done? What does it look like to you?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

@zaryia said:

Well there is no reversing it, there is only slowing it down.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

5 years from now.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zaryia
@palasta said:

@zaryia said:

Who is we?

Humans.

@palasta said:

Energy production and consumption 1800-2019. In the past 20 years was there anything done? What does it look like to you?

It looks to me we have to do something about this.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3741 Posts

Meh. We're in an interglacial period. Maybe we can stave it off with a little warming. Worst case scenario we cause mass flooding, killing millions, but hey, at least we'll get to properly explore Antarctica!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maroxad

Choquin has seen a rise of temperatures of 7 degrees celcius.

And while it isnt China. Over a 1000 Pakistanis have been killed and 30 million displaced.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/27/pakistan-floods-death-toll-nearing-1000-say-officials

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Aside from heat waves hitting all over world, floods too, read fires outside Las Vegas are contaminating drinking water and the town will no be without it. Mississippi also has a problem with their drinking water due to flooding. But I do find all these discoveries from doubts like dead bodies, old WW2 ships, that "Spanish Stonehenge", all pretty interesting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

Aside from heat waves hitting all over world, floods too, read fires outside Las Vegas are contaminating drinking water and the town will no be without it. Mississippi also has a problem with their drinking water due to flooding. But I do find all these discoveries from doubts like dead bodies, old WW2 ships, that "Spanish Stonehenge", all pretty interesting.

Spanish stonehenge?

Is this a way for them to draw more tourists?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

This is from around the 2nd world war, isn't it? How strangely fitting for these more modern times.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Is the IPCC still taking temperature readings next to air conditioner vents and off the pavement at nearby airports?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16587 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

My solution:

• Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Wind power
  • Solar power

im no fan of china because of how they fucked the world over with covid, but this isn't a good thing anyway. I agree with your post, keep selling the shit out of fossil fuels, and transition as fast as possible. We should not be using any kind of coal or natural gas, or gasoline. After we mostly get our shit together, we can help fund the rest of the world, because the truth is we are all in this together. Our pollution, chinese pollution, european, south american, indian, african, it doesn't matter where it came from, the outcome is the same at the end of the day.

Even though selling them our fossil fuels to transition might not make sense, the reality is, we along with china use the most energy in the world, so just going by numbers, us making the transition will do more good for the world than anything else.

I hope we can set the timeline at 20 years. Most left wing states should have transitioned by then. The right wing states will drag their feet but eventually they will transition too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

@tjandmia said:

Meh. We're in an interglacial period. Maybe we can stave it off with a little warming. Worst case scenario we cause mass flooding, killing millions, but hey, at least we'll get to properly explore Antarctica!

I think the Predators have a temple down there where they hunt Aliens, so that'd be cool to see.

@horgen said:
@mattbbpl said:

This is from around the 2nd world war, isn't it? How strangely fitting for these more modern times.

Funny, that. And concerning.

We seem doomed to repeat history, or at least stumble over the same mistakes.

Another funny thing is the whole "people don't want to work anymore" criticism thrown at the current working class. People been saying that since the 19th century, as shown in this article.

Memes are funny to a point but when they get to a few decades/centuries old and we still encounter them, might be time to change our ways.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 palasta

@zaryia said:
@palasta said:
@zaryia said:

Who is we?

Humans.

@palasta said:

Nothing is being done. Well, not nothing. There is always something being done...

https://katoikos.world/analysis/how-the-war-in-ukraine-affects-the-fight-against-climate-change.html

In the wake of the Russia-Ukraine war, though, the urgent need for energy has led the EU to march in the opposite direction of green. Gas in the eurozone becameat least six times more expensivethan it was before the pandemic due to energy shortages. The high prices have forced European countries to turn back to coal, which is cheaper and not monopolized by Russia, despite the fact that its combustion emits significantly more greenhouse gases. Just a few months after the Glasgow Climate Conference (COP26), European countries that had been pushing forthe “coal phase-out” proposalare restarting their coal power plants to protect valuable natural gas reserves:Germany, Austria, and the Netherlandsannounced the lifting of restrictions on fossil-fuel power plants and extend the lives of dozens of coal plants that were scheduled to close by 2030. At the same time,Franceis also actively considering restarting its Saint-Avold coal-fired power plant, which was closed this March, to meet the demand for winter heating. The surge in European demand for coal is putting additional pressure on coal-producing countries, such asAustralia and Indonesia, which are about to reach their export peaks.

Since the outbreak of war on February 24, the US has provided approximately$9.1 billion in security assistanceto Ukraine. Somehow this squeezes out climate finance that could have been used for energy transition and international assistance. Despite the Biden Administration’s promise of$11.4 billion a yearin international climate financing by 2024, the US Congress has only approved a mere$1 billion for 2022. According to calculations by the Overseas Development Institute, the US should provide$45-50 billion a yearin international climate finance for fairness, and the $1 billion voted by Congress is only 2% of its fair share.

Just a small section. I didn't want to c&p a wall of text.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia

@palasta said:
@zaryia said:
@palasta said:
@zaryia said:

Who is we?

Humans.

@palasta said:

Nothing is being done. Well, not nothing. There is always something being done...

https://katoikos.world/analysis/how-the-war-in-ukraine-affects-the-fight-against-climate-change.html

Ouch that sucks.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 palasta

@zaryia:

I didn't even include China. You prbly can guess what they are doing...

joementia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 joementia
Member since 2022 • 193 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

My solution:

• Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Nuclear power
  • Wind power
  • Solar power

I'm with you on nuclear power. Its not the solution, but its a bridge. But guess who is against it. Not who you would think.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@zaryia said:

Like that will ever happen. Corporations have successfully brainwashed people into thinking it doesn't exist and they have successfully greenwashed those who do believe it.