Why is JFK considered among the best presidents?

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

So, I never understood his achievements. I know he was glamorous, youthful and embodied 1960's America. But I really can't name something extraordinary he did. The Cuban missle crisis... meh.

If anything I think LBJ was superior - of course I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, I just feel like other than the bad Vietnam war his civil rights achievements, especially the hugely important new society was really underrated. Shame that he made that really horrible mistake of going to war.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Cuban missile crisis wasn't really "meh". That was a pretty scary time for the world. Ultimately, there was a lot more pressure on Khrushchev, but it's still admirable that Kennedy talked him down as an adversary, while Castro, an ally, was frothing at the mouth to go to war.

Conservatives tend to like the fact that he created the Israeli-American military alliance that still exists today. There is also the 24th amendment, which eliminated poll taxes, as well as the Revenue Act of 1964, which cut the top tax bracket from 91% to 70% and cut corporate taxes (signed by Johnson, but it was drafted by Kennedy.)

Liberals like to pretend he took the Democratic Party in a new civil rights direction, but that's a lie. A higher percentage of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in both the house and senate, and Democrats in the south continued to pander to racists for votes until '68.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Cuban missile crisis wasn't really "meh". That was a pretty scary time for the world. Ultimately, there was a lot more pressure on Khrushchev, but it's still admirable that Kennedy talked him down as an adversary, while Castro, an ally, was frothing at the mouth to go to war.

Conservatives tend to like the fact that he created the Israeli-American military alliance that still exists today. There is also the 24th amendment, which eliminated poll taxes, as well as the Revenue Act of 1964, which cut the top tax bracket from 91% to 70% and cut corporate taxes (signed by Johnson, but it was drafted by Kennedy.)

Liberals like to pretend he took the Democratic Party in a new civil rights direction, but that's a lie. A higher percentage of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in both the house and senate, and Democrats in the south continued to pander to racists for votes until '68.

Nonetheless his administration was pro civil rights.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

LBJ didn't go to war. In fact he was extremely reluctant to have anything to do with Vietnam. He was left with a no win situation after Kennedy's murder, seeing as JFK had already authorised covert action against the Viet Minh, and deployed military advisors as well as supporting the S. Vietnamese dictatorship with huge funds.

JFK had a rough start. There was the failure to stop the Soviets from erecting the Berlin wall as well as the Bay of Pigs episode. He couldn't be seen to let communism win another chapter in Vietnam after the French were kicked out, and LBJ made the mistake of escalating the conflict, and officially putting attack troops on the ground.

Describing the Cuban missile crisis as "meh" means you haven't done any research on the subject. We were literally minutes away from full blown war with the Soviet Union, and JFK called their bluff knowing that if he failed, he would bring the planet into nuclear conflict. It was a pivotal moment in history.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic

@sealionact said:

LBJ didn't go to war. In fact he was extremely reluctant to have anything to do with Vietnam. He was left with a no win situation after Kennedy's murder, seeing as JFK had already authorised covert action against the Viet Minh, and deployed military advisors as well as supporting the S. Vietnamese dictatorship with huge funds.

JFK had a rough start. There was the failure to stop the Soviets from erecting the Berlin wall as well as the Bay of Pigs episode. He couldn't be seen to let communism win another chapter in Vietnam after the French were kicked out, and LBJ made the mistake of escalating the conflict, and officially putting attack troops on the ground.

Describing the Cuban missile crisis as "meh" means you haven't done any research on the subject. We were literally minutes away from full blown war with the Soviet Union, and JFK called their bluff knowing that if he failed, he would bring the planet into nuclear conflict. It was a pivotal moment in history.

We were in Viet Nam pre Kennedy.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sealionact

@LJS9502_basic: Indeed. Truman etc, and before that the OSS backed Hi Chi Minh against the Japanese.....just meant that saying "LBJ went to war" was ignoring the facts.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

The Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Act.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@JimB said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

The act was sent to Congress by a Democratic president and pushed for by a second Democratic president. The top Democrat in the Senate pushed for its passage, and the top Democrat on the House judiciary committee strengthened its provisions. 46 Democrats voted in favor of its passage, compared to 21 who voted against it. Six Republicans voted against ending the filibuster against it, and against its passage. 153 House Democrats voted for its passage. Overall, 199 Democrats voted for it and only 163 Republicans voted for it. Your logic, as always, is patently idiotic.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@blackballs said:

So, I never understood his achievements. I know he was glamorous, youthful and embodied 1960's America. But I really can't name something extraordinary he did. The Cuban missle crisis... meh.

If anything I think LBJ was superior - of course I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, I just feel like other than the bad Vietnam war his civil rights achievements, especially the hugely important new society was really underrated. Shame that he made that really horrible mistake of going to war.

Well, for one he steered the world safe through the biggest nuclear crises there has ever been, but I think most of his fame comes from the fact that his term was cut short by an insane individual.

And Lyndon is among the top presidents and is higher on most historians than even Obama.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JimB

@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

The act was sent to Congress by a Democratic president and pushed for by a second Democratic president. The top Democrat in the Senate pushed for its passage, and the top Democrat on the House judiciary committee strengthened its provisions. 46 Democrats voted in favor of its passage, compared to 21 who voted against it. Six Republicans voted against ending the filibuster against it, and against its passage. 153 House Democrats voted for its passage. Overall, 199 Democrats voted for it and only 163 Republicans voted for it. Your logic, as always, is patently idiotic.

The Civil Rights bill was filibustered by Byrd, Fulbright, and Al Gore Sr. Johnson needed the Republicans to break the filibuster.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@blackballs: because space.

Lbj down fall was the war he started.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@sealionact: but JFK started the Cuban crisis in the first place when he first put nukes pointing at Moscow.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sealionact

@dreman999: I never suggested otherwise, though the tit for tat actions started as soon as ww2 ended, and quickly escalated.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

People tend to be rather generous when it comes to giving Kennedy credit for the C.M.C. but in all actuality both leaders had terms they wanted met and both nations had their opponent's missiles removed from certain places. We tend to make Nikki the bad guy yet Uncle Sam is morphed into innocent and pure when our people were doing the very same things. The impression I get when people go crazy over JFK is how his assassination plays into the fray. It's almost as if sympathy outweighs everything else of merit.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

The Civil Rights bill was filibustered by Byrd, Fulbright, and Al Gore Sr. Johnson needed the Republicans to break the filibuster.

Are you ignoring what I said because it hurts your false narrative, or because you don't know how to read? I find both scenarios equally plausible.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JimB

@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Are you ignoring what I said because it hurts your false narrative, or because you don't know how to read? I find both scenarios equally plausible.

The three senators I mentioned filibustered the Civil Rights Act. What false narrative the Democrats filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. I those days it took 70 votes to end a filibuster. The Democrats did not have enough votes to end the filibuster. The bill vote in favor was Democrats 61% Republicans 80%. Those are the facts.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theone86
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

The three senators I mentioned filibustered the Civil Rights Act. What false narrative the Democrats filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. I those days it took 70 votes to end a filibuster. The Democrats did not have enough votes to end the filibuster. The bill vote in favor was Democrats 61% Republicans 80%. Those are the facts.

Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. They filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. Those are the facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

JFK is often lauded for his cool head during the cuban missle crisis. But what these same pundits forget to mention, is that the cuban missle crisis was essentially created by him. He placed nukes in Turkey which led to russia reciprocating by putting them in Cuba. He then issued an ultimatum for their removal leading to the dangerous showdown. Now granted, I'd rather have had JFK than Trump in the white house at that time,

JFK also initiated the Vietnam war. That's a black mark in my book.

Now he was on the right side of history for civil rights and deserves much credit for promoting that at a time when the country was not as for it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@theone86 said:

Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. They filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. Those are the facrs.

You can say the same thing a thousand times, it doesn't make it true. It was filibustered by Democrats.

The Republican Party was not so badly split as the Democrats by the civil rights issue. Only one Republican senator participated in the filibuster against the bill. In fact, since 1933, Republicans had a more positive record on civil rights than the Democrats. In the twenty-six major civil rights votes since 1933, a majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80% of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96% of the votes.

Source

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theone86
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@theone86 said:

Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. They filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. Those are the facrs.

You can say the same thing a thousand times, it doesn't make it true. It was filibustered by Democrats.

The Republican Party was not so badly split as the Democrats by the civil rights issue. Only one Republican senator participated in the filibuster against the bill. In fact, since 1933, Republicans had a more positive record on civil rights than the Democrats. In the twenty-six major civil rights votes since 1933, a majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80% of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96% of the votes.

Source

It was filibustered by Republicans. This is an objectively true statement. It's also true that it was sent to Congress by a Democratic president, advocated for by a second Democratic president, pushed forward by Democratic committee members in Congress, and supported by the majority of Democrats in Congress. The Civil Rights Act never would have existed, much less passed, if not for Democrats. Your blatantly false narrative is blatantly false. Not surprising, seeing as how you are a known fabricator.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

He made out with Marilyn Monroe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts
@blackballs said:

I'm not an American or an particularly knowledgeable about American history. But from what I can tell LBJ was one of the best domestic policy presidents of all time.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackBalls

@sonicare said:

JFK is often lauded for his cool head during the cuban missle crisis. But what these same pundits forget to mention, is that the cuban missle crisis was essentially created by him. He placed nukes in Turkey which led to russia reciprocating by putting them in Cuba. He then issued an ultimatum for their removal leading to the dangerous showdown. Now granted, I'd rather have had JFK than Trump in the white house at that time,

JFK also initiated the Vietnam war. That's a black mark in my book.

Now he was on the right side of history for civil rights and deserves much credit for promoting that at a time when the country was not as for it.

Exactly. Some one on top said "You haven't studied the subject yet." Holy crap, I'm a history junky. Even took a course in American History, I know a lot. The Cuban Misle Crisis is "meh" in my mind, because Kennedy essentially created the conflict in the first place. He basically prevented an all nuclear showdown with something he helped create. So in that sense, I really don't think his policy was godly. He was brave to stand up to the Soviet Union, but that alone should not make him one of the top 5 presidents like I see on so many lists. That's inane.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlackBalls

@lordlobster said:
@blackballs said:

I'm not an American or an particularly knowledgeable about American history. But from what I can tell LBJ was one of the best domestic policy presidents of all time.

Honestly, LBJ was so stupid. He could have been one of the greatest presidents of all time. His domestic policy's would make him up there with Lincoln. But he made that stupid mistake...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@dreman999 said:

@sealionact: but JFK started the Cuban crisis in the first place when he first put nukes pointing at Moscow.

Probably why the CIA pulled a "turd in the punchbowl" operation.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JimB

@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. They filibustered the bill for 54 days before it was ended by a vote of 71 to 29. Those are the facts.

That is it rewrite history because it makes the Democrats look bad. Remember the Democrats are the party of slavery.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:

That is it rewrite history because it makes the Democrats look bad. Remember the Democrats are the party of slavery.

It's not re-writing history, it's a fact. Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. That is a stone cold fact. Democrats introduced the Civil Rights Act and got it through Congress. That is a fact. The only trying to re-write history here is you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

The Republican party of Lincoln morphed into the Democrat ideology. Republicans get no credit for ending slavery when the ideology shifted between the parties. Educate yourself.........not with far right sources either.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@blackballs said:

for me the best is Teddy Roosevelt

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JimB

@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

It's not re-writing history, it's a fact. Republicans filibustered the Civil Rights Act. That is a stone cold fact. Democrats introduced the Civil Rights Act and got it through Congress. That is a fact. The only trying to re-write history here is you.

You are so brainwashed you can't even research what happened. If you can't do that you are not worth my time.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

The Republican party of Lincoln morphed into the Democrat ideology. Republicans get no credit for ending slavery when the ideology shifted between the parties. Educate yourself.........not with far right sources either.

Slavery was ended with the 13th amendment in which not one Democrat voted for. The Republican party never morphed is a lie perpetrated by the Democrats to change their history of slavery and civil rights abuse.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:
@JimB said:

You are so brainwashed you can't even research what happened. If you can't do that you are not worth my time.

Says the Fox News drone. Projection, dude, look it up.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theone86
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@theone86 said:

Slavery was ended with the 13th amendment in which not one Democrat voted for. The Republican party never morphed is a lie perpetrated by the Democrats to change their history of slavery and civil rights abuse.

Again, Democrats wrote the Civil Rights Act and pushed it through Congress. Lyndon Johnson openly admitted that it would cause them to "lose the south for a generation," which they objectively did, and they went ahead with it anyway. Republicans, since then, have been increasingly hostile to civil rights. Reagan openly used racist dog whistles, including insinuating that black people were wasting welfare on Cadillacs. Reagan nominated a Supreme Court justice who said the Civil Rights Act was "a principle of unsurpassed ugliness," and Republicans today are STILL defending that man and insisting that the fact that Democrats blocked his nomination to the highest court in the land is a grave injustice. Republican-appointed judges struck down the Voting Rights Act, leading to Republican legislation that has restricted voting rights and has been disproportionately targeted at, wait for it, black voters. Republicans led a smear campaign against the first black president, calling him uppity, and endorsed racist conspiracy theories about him like the birther theory. Republicans defend Donald Trump when he calls WHITE SUPREMACISTS "very good people." Republicans are the ones defending police who shoot and kill black citizens without a second thought. And you're sitting here telling me that all of the racist shit that Republicans do on a daily basis and have been doing since Richard Nixon cynically used the Voting Rights Act as a cudgel against Democrats (read: he punished them politically for supporting it) doesn't matter because 150 years ago Democrats supported slavery, don't pay attention to the fact that anti-slavery factions took over the party in the intervening century and a half? You're a joke, dude.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

In other news you don't understand what you read.