sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 56894 Posts

The NBA or Southpark? Recently, the general manager of the Houston Rockets made a tweet stating his support of democracy and the protesters in Hong Kong. China responded by banning any coverage of the rockets and threatening the growing NBA market in China. The NBA responded by immediately apologizing and trying to distance itself from the tweet. Interestingly, in the recent past the NBA has been on the front grounds of social justice and reform, but seems to shrink away from this conflict. Such a stance, has upset US politicians on both the right and the left - a rare thing they agree on.

South park has also been critical of China, comparing their president to Winnie the poo. They had this response to being banned in China.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/us/south-park-apology-chinese-internet-trnd/index.html

Who handled it better?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 11000 Posts

If the NBA is willing to take a stand against injustices in the US (which they have) they should do so against China as well. It's a business decision to pander. South Park did good on this.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 19747 Posts

Don't know about South Park, but I have been following the Morey mess closely. The Rockets' owner response was so weak. I get it that Morey put you in a difficult position and you had to disavow the tweet, but yikes.

Glad to see the NBA take it on the mouth, always so high and mighty and they bend the knee when profits are on the line. I see you Silver.

LeicaM6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4 LeicaM6
Member since 2019 • 132 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

If the NBA is willing to take a stand against injustices in the US (which they have) they should do so against China as well. It's a business decision to pander. South Park did good on this.

This is a really solid point.

As a fan of the NBA, their response to this is very disappointing. They like to paint themselves as the “woke” league but this situation has shown they are merely pretenders who only speak on issues if it’s politically and economically popular. Making fun and “taking a stand” on Trump in the US now comes off as fake as does not deserve praise from the NBA. Their willingness to throw Morey under the bus to save their support from China is very upsetting.

This is a worldwide trend of the PRC exporting its views and narratives internationally and imposing itself economically on western firms. This is a direct consequence of the west, led by the US, in their gross mistake of supporting the PRC and letting it become as rich and powerful as it is today. There needs to be a global push against the PRC that such bullying tactics are wrong and won’t be tolerated.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6211 Posts

Hong Kong handled China better

LeicaM6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 LeicaM6
Member since 2019 • 132 Posts

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 35928 Posts

money almost always wins

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 884 Posts

I see a lot of angry articles and comments asking what the NBA even stands for anymore. Talk about hyperbolic...

I've just checked WIkipedia and can put your minds at rest. It has always stood for Nanjing Basketball Association.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 45393 Posts

The south park episode was hilarious and their "apology" to China was even more on point.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44564 Posts

@sonicare said:

The NBA or Southpark? Recently, the general manager of the Houston Rockets made a tweet stating his support of democracy and the protesters in Hong Kong. China responded by banning any coverage of the rockets and threatening the growing NBA market in China. The NBA responded by immediately apologizing and trying to distance itself from the tweet.

I think an NBA GM has the right to comment on politics like a duck has a right to comment on civil rights, but I really loathe the NBA for not standing up for freedom of speech and being all about the dollar bill.

Let China ban them and distance them. You should not want to sell goods and entertainment to a country that oppresses and exploits billions of people. You can't make a profit with the rest of the free world? Well then, you suck.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Matt and Trey dont care what china thinks, thier response had me laughing, good on southpark

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 167380 Posts

The NBA didn't it handle it well at all...…….

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Volsung  Online
Member since 2019 • 372 Posts

i'm surprised there's been so mention of the Hearthstone Incident anywhere on the site.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 1964 Posts

Both handled it better than Blizzard, banning a tourney player for being pro Hong Kong, as well as two casters who didn't do anything. Same reason why the next Diablo game is some copy-paste mobile crap; China has money, so **** you, fans.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44785 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sonicare said:

The NBA or Southpark? Recently, the general manager of the Houston Rockets made a tweet stating his support of democracy and the protesters in Hong Kong. China responded by banning any coverage of the rockets and threatening the growing NBA market in China. The NBA responded by immediately apologizing and trying to distance itself from the tweet.

I think an NBA GM has the right to comment on politics like a duck has a right to comment on civil rights, but I really loathe the NBA for not standing up for freedom of speech and being all about the dollar bill.

Let China ban them and distance them. You should not want to sell goods and entertainment to a country that oppresses and exploits billions of people. You can't make a profit with the rest of the free world? Well then, you suck.

Players wouldn't want that at all since they are huge in China and make a whole lotta money. Salary cap would most likely decline by a large margin. They've proven themselves for what they are and like live said, "Glad to see the NBA take it on the mouth, always so high and mighty and they bend the knee when profits are on the line. I see you Silver."

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44785 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

Dude, your poor period button. Stop abusing it!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 35928 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sonicare said:

Let China ban them and distance them. You should not want to sell goods and entertainment to a country that oppresses and exploits billions of people. You can't make a profit with the rest of the free world?Well then, you suck.

no no no, you got it all wrong. you can't make MORE profit with the rest of the free world.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 7773 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The difference between China and the US is that Chinese authorities have the legal authority to silence anything that portrays them negatively at will within their borders while the U.S. has something called the First Amendment blocking U.S. authorities from doing that over here.

Activism over here will get you allies that will spend more on your product (see Nike) while activism over there makes you unable to get anybody to spend a dime on your product. The NBA would remain silent about social justice causes over here too if it resulted in them being banned in the U.S.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 167380 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The difference between China and the US is that Chinese authorities have the legal authority to silence anything that portrays them negatively at will within their borders while the U.S. has something called the First Amendment blocking U.S. authorities from doing that over here.

Activism over here will get you allies that will spend more on your product (see Nike) while activism over there makes you unable to get anybody to spend a dime on your product. The NBA would remain silent about social justice causes over here too if it resulted in them being banned in the U.S.

You're making excuses now. China is not necessary to the NBA. They have a choice to do the right thing or excuse what is going on there. Perhaps Americans should tune out of the NBA.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 7773 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

You're making excuses now. China is not necessary to the NBA. They have a choice to do the right thing or excuse what is going on there. Perhaps Americans should tune out of the NBA.

I'm not trying to excuse them, I'm just stating facts and we all know that the NBA doesn't want to lose that Chinese money. Why do you think Paramount took the Taiwanese and Japanese flags off of Maverick's jacket for next year's Top Gun sequel?

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 811 Posts

The NBA is sticking with their far left comrades.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 19038 Posts

NBA , you mean the one team and considering they are now standing to lose millions i will go with them.

South Park was good but cheap since they don´t stand to lose that much.

And as to the hearthstone player, well that was poor judgment from him and he should have known it would come, considering how big a part Tencent plays in the gaming world.

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 56894 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm with you on this. I think the NBA looked to be incredibly hypocritical and pandering. It's certainly easier to speak to social injustices in one's own neck of the woods, but turning a blind eye to incredibly oppressive policies and human rights violations is poor form.