Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41531 Posts

The Hill

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan last week presented the White House with a plan to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the event that Iran escalates tensions, according to a New York Times report.

The Times reports that National Security Adviser John Bolton issued an order for the plans and the proposal does not include a ground invasion that would require many more troops.

The plan was ordered to prepare in the event that Iran attacks American forces or accelerates the development of nuclear weapons, according to the Times, citing administration officials.

It is largely driven by national security advisor Bolton, who has pushed for more aggressive action against Iran under both Trump and former President George W. Bush.

It remained unclear whether President Trump has seen the plan or if he would support it given his frequent push for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan and Syria.

Two American national security officials told the Times they were concerned Trump’s announced Syria drawdown, as well as reduced U.S. naval presence in the region, had encouraged some Iranian leaders and given them the impression the U.S. will avoid a military confrontation if at all possible.

On Monday, when asked about the possibility of regime change in Iran during an appearance with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Trump responded, “We’ll see what happens with Iran. If they do anything, it would be a very bad mistake.”

It was also unclear whether Trump had been briefed about the number of troops the plan called for, which would be nearly the size of the initial American force that invaded Iraq in 2003, according to the Times.

European leaders have expressed concerns to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran, with British foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt saying, “We are very worried about the risk of a conflict happening by accident, with an escalation that is unintended really on either side,” according to the Times.

A series of moves in recent weeks has ratcheted up tensions between Iran and the United States.

On the anniversary of Trump’s announcement that the U.S. would withdraw from the Iranian nuclear deal, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Iran would scale back some of its commitments under the 2015 pact and last Sunday Bolton announced the U.S. would deploy a bomber task force and carrier strike group to the region in response to “a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” from Iran.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill.

I swear to the gods, if it further leads to armed conflict with Iran, then we've seriously learned nothing.

Also, this aged really well...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Seriously hope not. What possible reason and justification would we have for going there?

Edit: seems this is just if they attacked us for some reason.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

This is nuts, having two old people (one of them dodging a war) that never served playing Command and Conquer with real people lives.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendoboy16  Online
@daredevils2k said:

This is nuts, having two old people (one of them dodging a war) that never served playing Command and Conquer with real people lives.

I've had to write to my congressman this morning JUST in case something happens on this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Nice whataboutism at the end, which pretty much derails an otherwise serious thread about the rising tension between US and Iran.

But this is a pretty big step up in terms of tension but I doubt it will be a step towards war

Trump has until 2020 and most polls seem to throw a Democrat into the Whitehouse and we all know their stand on Iran so after 2020 it will be a bend the knee situation from a democratic president.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

It's not like this will suddenly end under democrats. They're better than republicans from a perspective of improving social programs being fiscally responsible enough to actually pay for them, and protecting individual rights, but they're not peacemakers any more than the republican party

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The United States has been in conflict with Iran for decades. Nothing has changed in case you weren't paying attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

What a non Intervention america first president

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

These are the wars that never end.

They go on and on, my friend.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16: Nice whataboutism at the end,

That wasn't a whataboutism.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16: Nice whataboutism at the end, which pretty much derails an otherwise serious thread about the rising tension between US and Iran.

But this is a pretty big step up in terms of tension but I doubt it will be a step towards war

Trump has until 2020 and most polls seem to throw a Democrat into the Whitehouse and we all know their stand on Iran so after 2020 it will be a bend the knee situation from a democratic president.

People having melt downs as usual because Orange Man bad.

Trump has more information than anybody in this thread, and probably the entire world. He's making a more informed decision then the NPC's argue on this side of the forum.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Is this going to be religious war or something?...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16  Online

@Serraph105: Maybe not, but I can't help but feel it's a major step down from Obama's accomplishments with Iran.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Of course, it was, but I do get why you think it was not because if you admit it was, then you would know 90% of your contributions to this forum is all pretty much whataboutisms.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Serraph105: Maybe not, but I can't help but feel it's a major step down from Obama's accomplishments with Iran.

What accomplishments? because what I and the rest of the world saw was a US president on the knee and making the world a more dangerous place.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Of course, it was

It factually wasn't a whataboutism. Do not attempt to alter the English language,

• https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whataboutism-origin-meaning
  • https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whataboutism
  • https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whataboutism

A whataboutism is deflecting by bringing up another person/party's misconduct or misdeeds. Never was there a deflection and never was another person/party's misconduct brought up by the TC. He talked about the Trump WH and then gave a poorly aging quote by Trump. Hence the proper usage of the "this aged really well"meme, which isn't really a whataboutism in the slightest.

Please do better research before posting improper usage of terminology.

@Jacanuk said:

90% of your contributions to this forum is all pretty much whataboutisms.

I want citation for this rather wild and contrarian claim. Given you did not know the definition of a whataboutism this is highly unlikely. Please show me 90% of my posts in this section being actual whataboutism. I want to see them, numbered and all. It should be reflected upon my total posts and a % given close to 90. If such data is not given, this post I just quoted was simply incorrect.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

What is the reason for sending troops there? I highly doubt anyone in gulf state appreciates american presences. It just makes for good propaganda news for terrorist and usurpers.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk
@sakaixx said:

What is the reason for sending troops there? I highly doubt anyone in gulf state appreciates american presences. It just makes for good propaganda news for terrorist and usurpers.

Did you read this

"last week presented the White House with a plan to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the event that Iran escalates tensions,"

If not then the reason is, if and when troops are sent over there, is because Iran has escalated the situation to a point, where it´s needed to respond with military presence.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

""Would I do that? Absolutely," Trump told reporters gathered Tuesday when asked about a New York Times report that his administration was considering a military build-up. "But we have not planned for that."

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@sakaixx said:

Did you read this

"last week presented the White House with a plan to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the event that Iran escalates tensions,"

If not then the reason is, if and when troops are sent over there, is because Iran has escalated the situation to a point, where it´s needed to respond with military presence.

I understand the "iran escalates tension part" I just dont understand why we would be bothered. I am against any invasions or war games, it just makes the region even more unstable and breeding grounds for terrorist. Many refugees has made it to Europe and other parts of the world, its not hard for them to sympathize with extreme ideology when we constantly shows agression. It will bit us in the long run.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@n64dd said:

Trump has more information than anybody in this thread, and probably the entire world. He's making a more informed decision then the NPC's argue on this side of the forum.

LOL pure comedy gold. Yes I'm sure they tried to brief trump but he doesn't pay attention to his briefings so I would not call him more informed. Probably those that tried to brief him........yes. trump........no.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16  Online
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

What accomplishments? because what I and the rest of the world saw was a US president on the knee and making the world a more dangerous place.

Um, the Iran Nuclear Deals? Paying back Iran for the money the US technically stole from them? Even some Democrats that otherwise can't stand Obama backed him on the Iran Nuke Deals.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@n64dd said:

Resulting to shitty memes and half-assed troll comments.

Boooooooring.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
@n64dd said:

He's making a more informed decision then the NPC's argue on this side of the forum.

Is that before or after 100s of experts including current and former heads of XYZ disagree with him on topic ABC? It's uninformed decisions that lead to this point:

Intelligence chiefs undercut Trump on Iran nuclear deal

https://www.axios.com/intelligence-chiefs-donald-trump-iran-nuclear-deal-0333ce3b-dd4e-4928-8753-447b98cedcc4.html

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@n64dd: since when does Trump defer to anything but his own gut to make decisions?

People have resigned over and our agencies and institutions whose job it is to provide Trump with information to help him make prudent choices have been flabbergasted by his rejection of it to do what he wants. Often completely contradictory to people who are actually informed in these matters.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@n64dd: since when does Trump defer to anything but his own gut to make decisions?

People have resigned over and our agencies and institutions whose job it is to provide Trump with information to help him make prudent choices have been flabbergasted by his rejection of it to do what he wants. Often completely contradictory to people who are actually informed in these matters.

Heresay.

Also, regarding people acting like the Iran deal was breakthrough.

Loading Video...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk
@sakaixx said:
@Jacanuk said:
@sakaixx said:

Did you read this

I understand the "iran escalates tension part" I just dont understand why we would be bothered. I am against any invasions or war games, it just makes the region even more unstable and breeding grounds for terrorist. Many refugees has made it to Europe and other parts of the world, its not hard for them to sympathize with extreme ideology when we constantly shows agression. It will bit us in the long run.

Well, that is a very good question, why do we bother being the world's police, but we do that because the foreign influence is important and also why we bother with Iran is because of Israel since Iran´s idea is to bomb Israel from existence if they knew they could.

So we have to protect our allies in the middle-east and also to be fair Iran is a very dangerous despot regime who would destroy the world if they could.

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Um, the Iran Nuclear Deals? Paying back Iran for the money the US technically stole from them? Even some Democrats that otherwise can't stand Obama backed him on the Iran Nuke Deals.

Oh you mean the "bend the knee deal" that only benefits Iran and makes the world an insanely more dangerous place. And what money? US did steal anything.

And Democrats love to bend the knee for despots so i am not that surprised they would back the Obama soft line. Why do you think under Obama Russia got Crimea and also had a few jets fly by a US ship in the middle-east?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

You don't think we're actually THAT dumb enough to preemptively strike Iran.....right? Right?

Phil_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Phil_Spencer
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

You don't think we're actually THAT dumb enough to preemptively strike Iran.....right? Right?

Yes.

Was that the answer you were looking for?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Jacanuk: The US is not the world police. The police upholds the law and protects the innocent.

US military adventurism has hardly upheld any laws nor has it protected innocent people.

It has however led to thousands of deaths directly (bombs from the air, bullets on the ground) and indirectly (refugees and opportunistic rivalries between locals).

Moreover, regarding Iran’s nuclear ambitions. I highly suspect they want a nuclear bomb, but I also believe they want it as deterrence (mainly from the US).

They are smart enough to realise if they used a nuclear bomb in Israel, it will be the end of the Islamic Republic.

Every country will halt all business with Iran and many countries (US and Europe for sure) will invade to change the government. Even it’s buddies (China & Russia) will turn against it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Hey guys you must trust Trump's judgement!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I'm curious. Invading Iran, are we looking at a repeat of Iraq in terms of fighting power, or Vietnam?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@horgen: they are just looking for a reelection strategy and to raise the price of oil

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator

@Nuck81 said:

@horgen: they are just looking for a reelection strategy and to raise the price of oil

Expensive plan.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@horgen: @Nuck81: "they are just looking for a reelection strategy"

Is that viable? I hope we're in a wiser (and more war weary state) due to our Iraqi misadventures

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: @Nuck81: "they are just looking for a reelection strategy"

Is that viable? I hope we're in a wiser (and more war weary state) due to our Iraqi misadventures

Bolton is still in the picture, isn't he?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@horgen: Yeah, and he's a warmonger, but that doesn't make it a viable reelection strategy.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: Yeah, and he's a warmonger, but that doesn't make it a viable reelection strategy.

Lies and deceit can make it a viable one.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mattbbpl

@horgen: Rats. I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@mattbbpl: it's not anymore. But Trump and his worshippers think it is.

At this point all Trump is really interested in is bolstering his base, when it is already at it max.

That's why Trump is pushing for impeachment. It's another opportunity for him to whine about being a victim and how the system is against him.

He's a master manipulator.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator

@Nuck81 said:

@mattbbpl: it's not anymore. But Trump and his worshippers think it is.

At this point all Trump is really interested in is bolstering his base, when it is already at it max.

That's why Trump is pushing for impeachment. It's another opportunity for him to whine about being a victim and how the system is against him.

He's a master manipulator.

The system was so rigged he could even win. D=