Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

White House backs bill to expand voting rights, curb gerrymandering

White House backs bill to expand voting rights, curb gerrymandering | TheHill

The White House on Monday formally threw its backing behind a massive voting rights bill that seeks to shore up voting rights and limit gerrymandering ahead of the 2021 redistricting cycle.

“In the wake of an unprecedented assault on our democracy, a never before seen effort to ignore, undermine, and undo the will of the people, and a newly aggressive attack on voting rights taking place right now all across the country, this landmark legislation is urgently needed to protect the right to vote and the integrity of our elections, and to repair and strengthen American democracy,” the White House said in a statement of administrative policy.

The For the People Act, also called H.R. 1, was introduced by Democrats in 2019 and passed the House later that year, but it was never taken up by the GOP-led Senate.

About time. Hopefully this helps curb the upcoming flood of GOP cheating.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@zaryia: both sides gerrymander. This is a victory for all though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

A lot of really good, awesome stuff in this bill. I especially like the automatic voter registration because, outside of showing up, registering to vote is one of the biggest hurdles.

For those wanting to read the whole thing, here is the official bill via the Congress.gov website.

And here is an article that says some bad things about it, for balance. Although it's no surprise the article was written by a Republican representative from New York.

GOP is concerned, but I guess they should be since this means they'll have to be a bit more honest now.

This bill addresses voter access, election integrity and security, campaign finance, and ethics for the three branches of government.

Specifically, the bill expands voter registration (e.g., automatic and same-day registration) and voting access (e.g., vote-by-mail and early voting). It also limits removing voters from voter rolls.

The bill requires states to establish independent redistricting commissions to carry out congressional redistricting.

Additionally, the bill sets forth provisions related to election security, including sharing intelligence information with state election officials, supporting states in securing their election systems, developing a national strategy to protect U.S. democratic institutions, establishing in the legislative branch the National Commission to Protect United States Democratic Institutions, and other provisions to improve the cybersecurity of election systems.

Further, the bill addresses campaign finance, including by expanding the prohibition on campaign spending by foreign nationals, requiring additional disclosure of campaign-related fundraising and spending, requiring additional disclaimers regarding certain political advertising, and establishing an alternative campaign funding system for certain federal offices.

The bill addresses ethics in all three branches of government, including by requiring a code of conduct for Supreme Court Justices, prohibiting Members of the House from serving on the board of a for-profit entity, and establishing additional conflict-of-interest and ethics provisions for federal employees and the White House.

I'm liking everything I see here. Been wanting to get the money out of politics for a long time and this is a start.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SheevPalpamemes

At a time when we need to restore faith in our elections, H.R. 1 is an unconstitutional federal power grab that will pave the way for a system rife with errors and abuse. Here’s how.

First, H.R. 1 would prevent election officials from maintaining accurate voter lists and make it harder for them to determine if voters are registered in multiple jurisdictions. This increases the likelihood that voter rolls are outdated and inaccurate or contain ineligible voters.

Second, the bill would dramatically expand automatic voter registration. People who never even provide their consent could be added to voter rolls. H.R. 1 goes so far as designating colleges as automatic voter registration agencies and making it easier to harvest ballots.

Third, H.R. 1 would make same-day voter registration the national standard. Ballots would be cast and counted before officials even have time to verify a voter is eligible or the information provided by them is accurate. The majority of states do not have same-day voter registration, but H.R. 1 would overrule them and mandate it anyway.

Some of the negatives.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zaryia

@sheevpalpamemes said:

@zaryia: both sides gerrymander. This is a victory for all though.

Agreed, although to be fair the right does it far more.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SheevPalpamemes

@zaryia: no disagreements there.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

It's a bill that everyone should support.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

Voting should always be encouraged. And if a party fears the vote then they need to readjust their priorities.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

Why should it be easy to vote?

Apparently its too much to ask that you get off your lazy ass and go register ahead of the election.

Apparently its too much to ask that you get off your lazy ass and go vote (traditional absentee exceptions allowed of course)

It is not wrong to expect each person eligible to vote, to put some god damn effort in to exercising that right.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23050 Posts

@comeonman said:

Apparently its too much to ask that you get off your lazy ass and go register ahead of the election.

Apparently its too much to ask that you get off your lazy ass and go vote (traditional absentee exceptions allowed of course)

It is not wrong to expect each person eligible to vote, to put some god damn effort in to exercising that right.

WTF. Seriously.

Self governance should not require extra effort. It shouldn't need to be earned. This is, obviously, because you're subjected to the governance whether or not you've been deemed worthy of having a voice in it.

Republicans should never utter the phrase, "no taxation without representation," again unironically.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl:

I disagree. Self governance should require effort. Nothing that gets handed to you holds as much value to you as the things you have to work for.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zaryia

@comeonman said:

Butwhy make it harder than it currently is? That's what many of the GOP bills do.

Can you give a real reason? Because the studies and data show there is no reason to make it harder. Facts over feelings.

@comeonman said:

I disagree with your opinions. We should make it easier not harder, as long as fraud stays at the current extreme low. We live in a democracy and that's the best way to express democracy, hell it's easier to vote in other countries.

Scared of more people voting due to your less popular party? I only ask because this is the reason your party politicians are doing it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl

@zaryia: @comeonman: Can we just restrict voting to a single day and in person?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl said:

@zaryia: @comeonman: Can we just restrict voting to a single day and in person?

I would not have a problem with having an election week, instead of an election day. But if we do that, no exit polling, no reporting partial results. Everybody has to wait for the official count to know who won.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-610a70a317506

@zaryia:

Voting now is easier than it has ever been in my lifetime.

I'm not looking to make it harder. I just think its reasonable to expect each person to put out a little effort.

As for your assumptions about "my" political party: I hate them all. All politicians are scum. We have allowed a political class to take root in this country and it will be our doom.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl

@comeonman: That doesn't answer the question. If the goal is to make it harder, why not one day in person?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl said:

@comeonman: That doesn't answer the question. If the goal is to make it harder, why not one day in person?

I see allowing a week to get to the polls as making it more convenient, not easier. You still have to care enough to get registered. And you still have to care enough to get off your ass and go vote.

I never said I want to make it harder. I said I don't see why it needs to be easier. At the risk of repeating myself, I just don't understand why we shouldn't expect people to be willing to put a little effort in to selecting our leaders.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zaryia

@comeonman said:

@zaryia:

I'm not looking to make it harder.

Yeah, the issue is the GOP have introduced 200+ bills to make it harder, specifically ways in which Democrats won in 2020. Cheaters.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@comeonman: they've made it pretty damn difficult in Indiana in recent years man. Along with requiring photo ID I've seen voting booths close up shop at 6pm making it pretty damn difficult to get to a voting place after work when just about everything is at least a half hour away. Not to mention the lines last time I went (this was in the middle of the day) meant having to wait a good hour to hour and a half. I've had to leave a few times and come back a different day on multiple occasions making a chore more of a committed task that might take up a decent part of the week.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HoolaHoopMan

@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

I disagree. Self governance should require effort*. Nothing that gets handed to you holds as much value to you as the things you have to work for.

*Effort required varies by race and socioeconomic status*

Just institute poll taxes and literacy tests again why you're at it. Requires some effort, right?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl

@comeonman said:
@mattbbpl said:

I see allowing a week to get to the polls as making it more convenient, not easier. You still have to care enough to get registered. And you still have to care enough to get off your ass and go vote.

I never said I want to make it harder. I said I don't see why it needs to be easier. At the risk of repeating myself, I just don't understand why we shouldn't expect people to be willing to put a little effort in to selecting our leaders.

See below:

@zaryia said:
@comeonman said:

@zaryia:

I'm not looking to make it harder.

Yeah, the issue is the GOP have introduced 200+ bills to make it harder, specifically ways in which Democrats won in 2020. Cheaters.

The reality is that making harder vs making it easier is two sides of the same coin - it's just a matter of what your baseline is.

Hoola pointed out, the preferred baseline of the party is generally one which benefits it's ingroups and punishes it's outgroups:

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

I disagree. Self governance should require effort*. Nothing that gets handed to you holds as much value to you as the things you have to work for.

Just institute poll taxes and literacy tests again why you're at it. Requires some effort, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-610a70a317506

@Serraph105 said:

@comeonman: they've made it pretty damn difficult in Indiana in recent years man. Along with requiring photo ID I've seen voting booths close up shop at 6pm making it pretty damn difficult to get to a voting place after work when just about everything is at least a half hour away. Not to mention the lines last time I went (this was in the middle of the day) meant having to wait a good hour to hour and a half. I've had to leave a few times and come back a different day on multiple occasions making a chore more of a committed task that might take up a decent part of the week.

I have no problem expanding the time we allow for voting. It still takes the same effort to go and vote, but it makes it more convenient to work in to your schedule.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-610a70a317506

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

The steps to registering and voting are the exact same, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. Therefore the effort required is also the same.

What varies is the ability of the individual to accomplish those steps.

But of course you have to resort to implying I am in favor of racist shit like poll taxes and literacy tests because I have a different viewpoint.

Now run along and report me to the Thought Police. I am obviously in need of re-education. Maybe a camp of some sort.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl:

I'm not here to defend one party over the other. They both suck.

All I am saying is, voting should take some effort. It shouldn't be as easy as taking a piss.

Casting your vote is not just a right, its a duty. And I believe that fulfilling that duty, partaking of that right, is worth the effort it takes to register and go vote.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zaryia

@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

All I am saying is, voting should take some effort. It shouldn't be as easy as taking a piss.

Casting your vote is not just a right, its a duty. And I believe that fulfilling that duty, partaking of that right, is worth the effort it takes to register and go vote.

I disagree. It's easier in other countries all while USA is supposed to be bastion of Democracy. Voting and Democracy has nothing to do with who wants to go through the most phony physical or bureaucratic obstacles planted by unpopular politicians. It's should simply about voting for who you find best suited to do the job.

Voting should be as easy as humanly possible without sacrificing it's security(which it currently is).

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HoolaHoopMan

@comeonman said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

The steps to registering and voting are the exact same, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. Therefore the effort required is also the same.

But of course you have to resort to implying I am in favor of racist shit like poll taxes and literacy tests because I have a different viewpoint.

Now run along and report me to the Thought Police. I am obviously in need of re-education. Maybe a camp of some sort.

Dude, the GOP wants to routinely purge voter rolls which is a barrier via registration itself. Don't tell me that automatic, and often targeted, voter purges are equal across demographics. History has shown this not to be the case. Plus there's more to voting than simple registration.

How about we walk into some heavy Trump leaning counties and shut down 90% of polling places for election day? Because that's exactly what has happened to urban districts. Now we're seeing hundreds of bills being passed to limit voting access with no logical reasoning behind it. These are the same assholes that cry fraud but can't provide any evidence in front of a judge or court of law.

Your narrative is simply a pompous charade, and relies on some self indulgent belief that the right to vote is 'earned' through your own limited worldview of responsibility and ethics.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zaryia

If any conservative here still had doubts what their bills are about,

Asked by right-wing Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett to explain the Arizona GOP’s interest in upholding a state law that disqualifies ballots cast in the wrong precinct — a restriction that voting rights advocates say discriminates against people of color, an assessment backed up last year by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals — Republican lawyer Michael Carvin responded that striking down the regulation would put “us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats.”

“Politics is a zero-sum game,” Carvin added.

Individual responsibility touchy feely mumbo jumbo kinda' fails in the face of this and many other quotes like it.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I just laugh at anyone who acts like registering to vote was hard in the first place. ROFLMAO!

gamefan606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 gamefan606
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts

@Xabiss: Not hard, but definitely more tedious than it needs to be in some places. I don't understand why I can update my Texas drivers' license or renew my vehicle registration online but can't register to vote online. Is the current process difficult? Nope, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it could be easier.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl

@gamefan606: It's also about statistical margins. If it prevents just a percent or two from voting (or works in conjunction with other hindrances to prevent a percent or two from voting), that's enough to swing elections.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

would you favor making election day a national holiday?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-610a70a317506

@comp_atkins said:
@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

would you favor making election day a national holiday?

I'm not opposed to the idea. But I think having an election week, instead of an election day is a better alternative.

Like Serraph said, long lines are a problem. Allowing it to spread out over a week would alleviate that a lot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-610a70a317506
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@comeonman said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@comeonman said:

@mattbbpl:

Dude, the GOP wants to routinely purge voter rolls which is a barrier via registration itself. Don't tell me that automatic, and often targeted, voter purges are equal across demographics. History has shown this not to be the case. Plus there's more to voting than simple registration.

How about we walk into some heavy Trump leaning counties and shut down 90% of polling places for election day? Because that's exactly what has happened to urban districts. Now we're seeing hundreds of bills being passed to limit voting access with no logical reasoning behind it. These are the same assholes that cry fraud but can't provide any evidence in front of a judge or court of law.

Your narrative is simply a pompous charade, and relies on some self indulgent belief that the right to vote is 'earned' through your own limited worldview of responsibility and ethics.

I have made no comment for or against purging of voter rolls.

I have made no comment about closings of polling places.

Given your obviously hyper-partisan viewpoint, I'm not sure you have much credibility calling me out as having a limited worldview.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl

@comeonman: Because those are things actually being done now to make voting harder and less convenient. You can't ignore them because they are your position in actuality. They are how politicians realize what you advocate for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl said:

@comeonman: Because those are things actually being done now to make voting harder and less convenient. You can't ignore them because they are your position in actuality. They are how politicians realize what you advocate for.

You're looking for a fight where none exists.

I don't want anyone taken off the voter roles that has a right to be there.

I want more polling places, not less.

I want more opportunity for people to go vote. See my position on election week versus election day.

I just don't understand why the existing system of registering to vote and voting in person is considered exclusionary. I mean FFS, if you can't be bothered to expend that little effort to exercise your franchise, then I have no pity for you. Hell, my 84 year old mother moved a couple of years ago, and without any help from me, she managed to get herself registered at her new address and got herself to the polls on election day.

If an 82 year old woman can pull it off, how tough can it be?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@comeonman: The current system is exclusionary because it's designed to be exclusionary. The intent and methods to do so were well documented and later made public by an heir.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl said:

@comeonman: The current system is exclusionary because it's designed to be exclusionary. The intent and methods to do so were well documented and later made public by an heir.

It seems we are talking past each other.

You want to associate me with some boogey man effort to suppress voting by poor people and minorities.

I'm simply saying we shouldn't treat grown ass adults like helpless children that have to been taken by the hand and led to the polls. Show people how easy it is to navigate the system. Then encourage them to see themselves as strong enough to not let anything or anyone stop them from exercising their franchise, instead of encouraging them to see themselves as victims.

Of course, if you convince people they are helpless victims that must rely on you, then you can count on their support.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl

@comeonman: We aren't talking past each other, you are just refusing to acknowledge your stances for what they are and the effects they have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-610a70a317506

@mattbbpl said:

@comeonman: We aren't talking past each other, you are just refusing to acknowledge your stances for what they are and the effects they have.

Oh, so I am the boogey man.

Gotcha.

Gotta go. The Klan rally is tonight, and I'm in charge of bringing the desserts.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaryia

@comeonman said:
@mattbbpl said:

boogey man effort to suppress voting by poor people and minorities.

Typically the boogyman doesn't record his intentions on camera or make internal studies (that get leaked) on how to do what he's going to do. Typically we don't have dozens of court cases on what the boogyman did, with the boogyman being shown in the wrong by the Judge.

But please keep trying to suggest it's made up when we have court cases, studies, or even when your own party admits it's not. It's funny and shows how misinformed, clueless, or dishonest you are.

I mean I even quoted the latest one ITT, you clearly ignored it so here it is again:

Asked by right-wing Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett to explain the Arizona GOP’s interest in upholding a state law that disqualifies ballots cast in the wrong precinct — a restriction that voting rights advocates say discriminates against people of color, an assessment backed up last year by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals — Republican lawyer Michael Carvin responded that striking down the regulation would put “us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats.” “Politics is a zero-sum game,” Carvin added.

@Xabiss said:

I just laugh at anyone who acts like registering to vote was hard in the first place. ROFLMAO!

But why curb mail in voting and early voting?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl

@zaryia: Based on his last post, I think he's had an epiphany and is in agreement with us. There's no need to drag out the discussion any further, let the man grab his hood and make the desserts for his rally.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zaryia

Biden signs executive order expanding voting access - CNNPolitics

Awesome!