What single idea or policy pushed you to be a democrat?

• 106 results
N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@mattbbpl said:

If the Phillips curve is indeed dead as currently appears to be the case, then we need to rethink the very foundations of monetary and fiscal policy as soon as possible. The relationship (tradeoff) between unemployment and inflation is at the core of the Fed's thought processes. A strong and swift monetary policy is a powerful tool - but not if it's fundamentally wrong.

What would you suggest?

would corporate welfare be the answer?

I'm all for trimming the fat in regards to that.

even if corporate welfare in our current system is considerably larger than social welfare?

would you be for tackling that first? corporate that is.

Yup.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#102 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:

What would you suggest?

even if corporate welfare in our current system is considerably larger than social welfare?

Yup.

I look forward to reading posts of yours that advocate reducing corporate welfare and perhaps until that is better, less posts about social welfare.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 N64DD

@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:

Yup.

I look forward to reading posts of yours that advocate reducing corporate welfare and perhaps until that is better, less posts about social welfare.

I don't like either or really. I think our welfare system for the poor is needed though.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@n64dd said:

Yup.

I don't like either or really. I think our welfare system for the poor is needed though.

color me surprised

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@n64dd: If the Phillips Curve is dead then we need to find out why the disconnect exists and then either fix it or find out what substitute mechanisms we can use to blunt recessions and spur growth during downtimes.

The death of the curve implies that workers have little negotiating power even when labor is scarce. Work is still ongoing by very smart people to determine why that breakdown exists (or whether it actually exists at all), but if that's the case that power needs to be restored or a replacement mechanism for balance needs to be implemented.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106  Edited By MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Initially it was mainly LGBT rights. I saw absolutely no reason why same-sex marriage shouldn't be legalized and it really drove me against the Republicans pretty hard because they were just...wrong, and harming people. Later, I realized that harm extended far beyond LGBT people. Of course, that's extremely obvious nowadays. I also became a strong proponent of church-state separation, and thus want churches far away from the government. Same-sex marriage was the building block of that, but it extends far beyond that. I also accept science. Valuing public education is also important. Among other things.

Ultimately I came to realize that Republicans are against everything I am. Not just believe, but intrinsically am. Democrats aren't perfect, but I sure as heck am not voting for a party that is all about taking away my rights, and the rights of other groups as well. I was raised with a strong conviction against sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, religious discrimination (even if I despise the religions themselves, which I do), so to be quite blunt, the Republican party isn't even on the table in my mind.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 N64DD

@mattbbpl said:

@n64dd: If the Phillips Curve is dead then we need to find out why the disconnect exists and then either fix it or find out what substitute mechanisms we can use to blunt recessions and spur growth during downtimes.

The death of the curve implies that workers have little negotiating power even when labor is scarce. Work is still ongoing by very smart people to determine why that breakdown exists (or whether it actually exists at all), but if that's the case that power needs to be restored or a replacement mechanism for balance needs to be implemented.

Makes sense to me.