What do you think of the British Royal family.

#1 Posted by Mercenary848 (11185 posts) -

I know we tend to focus on US politics, but I am interested in knowing what the general opinion of the royal family is. I know even in Canada they are revered, so its weird to me as American picturing living under a monarchy.

#2 Edited by madrocketeer (5001 posts) -

In all the time I've lived in the UK, very few people even talked about them much. There were indeed some hardcore monarchists and republicans who get worked up and get more involved in this kind of stuff, but for the overwhelming majority of people, it was just "meh, they exist, so what?"

When I lived in New Zealand, another country that shares the same Queen, it was the same.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (25661 posts) -

They are for show now basically, a tourist attraction that brings in money. Contrary to what people think, they actually bring in more money than they use.

From a personal standpoint, I find them quite boring compared to their ancestors. Things aren't as turbulent as they were, back then people were forged by fire, now they go round schools and shake peoples hands, that's not interesting.

#4 Posted by DaBrainz (7908 posts) -

Kind of like the Kardashians except with more money and less talent.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (6233 posts) -

Heredity appointments are incompatible with democracy, I accept the Queen does actually run the country, however she still considerable powers to sign treaties, dissolve government etc.

There doesnt seem to be any danger of Queen Elizabeth throwing her weight around, the problem with heredity succession is you have no idea what you will actually get.

Only reason I see for not abolishing the royal family is potential income to the country from them, I'm sure they create a lot of tourism, however the money spent on the royals life style and security is probably in excess of what they bring to country.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (25661 posts) -

Off topic, quite surprised by how pretty she was, so use to her looking like an old bag.

#7 Posted by Master_Live (18821 posts) -

^^^Lets say she was of a fair complexion.

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (12392 posts) -

@Mercenary848 said:

I know we tend to focus on US politics, but I am interested in knowing what the general opinion of the royal family is. I know even in Canada they are revered, so its weird to me as American picturing living under a monarchy.

Royal families are a thing of the past that should be abolished, just think of all the money from the uk taxpayers that could be spent on better things than on a spoiled little family who are no different than anyone else in the uk,

#9 Posted by toast_burner (24801 posts) -

Workshy scroungers.

#10 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9318 posts) -

I think it would be a lot better if all of the dukes/duchesses had their own standing armies that partake in live action role playing games to acquire land and titles. That would make for great television. Also, every country gets their own king or queen and WW3 (live action role play WW3, not real WW3) eventually crowns us a world emperor.

#11 Edited by LJS9502_basic (162518 posts) -

I don't get why royals still exist in any country TBH....as for the tourism argument.....people go to see the sights and not having royalty will not change that....though the attacks are worrisome and may put some people off visiting.

#12 Posted by Serraph105 (32028 posts) -

lol I really don't think about them at all.

#13 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30167 posts) -

I like our monarchy but wouldn't be upset if it was abolished. There are other things that annoy me more in Canadian politics such as the Senate.

#14 Posted by Jag85 (11189 posts) -

They're just symbolic figureheads, who mostly stay away from politics. So the UK is only a monarchy in name, but a parliamentary democracy in practice.

#15 Edited by Solaryellow (3941 posts) -

Frank Drebin said it best in The Naked Gun: "Protecting the safety of the Queen is a task that's gladly accepted by Police Squad. For no matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us. As Americans, we must be gracious and considerate hosts."

#16 Posted by mattbbpl (14933 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

lol I really don't think about them at all.

Yeah, sometimes I hear about them having a celebration or eating pudding or something, but other than that I don't pay any attention.

#17 Posted by SOedipus (10380 posts) -

Can't stand them. I can't get away from them either, 14,000km away in another country....

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (25661 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't get why royals still exist in any country TBH....as for the tourism argument.....people go to see the sights and not having royalty will not change that....though the attacks are worrisome and may put some people off visiting.

Disagree. A good example being William Wallace, before the 1995 movie, most people, including Scottish, never heard of him. When Mel Gibson put a historically incorrect face to it making Blind Harry's poem contemporary, tourism boomed. Even though it was all bullshit the romanticized idea attracted people, it wasn't ye old times when you had to read obscure history books, it was now, in an easily digestible format.

Remove the modern Royal Family who have been tabloid heavy to point of practically killing Princess Diana, you have older figureheads. Certain people will have heard of Elizabeth I or Henry VIII and his bunch of dead wife's, but nowhere near to the extent of Elizabeth II, Diana, Prince e.t.c... Someone said they were basically the Kardashians, and it's a pretty apt description. Even if we hate the Kardashians as an entity, people are clearly interested in them enough to generate income.

#19 Posted by Emmanuel_lll (6 posts) -

The Royal Family provides an example for people to live up to as representative of the nation as well as a non-partisan political entity that can moderate things in the name of what is good for the kingdom and it's people regardless of the partisan politics.The house of Windsor plays an important part in the UK and deserves respect it has ruled well and done great service to the British people.

They help guard against the celebrities, self-serving politicians with their BS populism that the uncouth proletariat tends to gravitate towards if left to their own devices in a Democracy. Those who claim they are a waste of money should look at the US president's budget compared to the R0oyal Family lol.

In short, people need examples to follow.

#20 Posted by toast_burner (24801 posts) -

@emmanuel_lll said:

The Royal Family provides an example for people to live up to as representative of the nation as well as a non-partisan political entity that can moderate things in the name of what is good for the kingdom and it's people regardless of the partisan politics.The house of Windsor plays an important part in the UK and deserves respect it has ruled well and done great service to the British people.

They help guard against the celebrities, self-serving politicians with their BS populism that the uncouth proletariat tends to gravitate towards if left to their own devices in a Democracy. Those who claim they are a waste of money should look at the US president's budget compared to the R0oyal Family lol.

In short, people need examples to follow.

Give an example of them doing that.

#21 Posted by Emmanuel_lll (6 posts) -

@toast_burner:

Gladly in fact several:

1. They provide example of what an upstanding hard working family should look like.

2. They show how the good of the kingdom is above petty partisan politics.

3. They can moderate between the political factions and negotiate beyond some partisan nonsense.

4. They are a benefit to international relations being well educated in such things compared to randomly elected dolt.

#22 Posted by toast_burner (24801 posts) -

@emmanuel_lll said:

@toast_burner:

Gladly in fact several:

1. They provide example of what an upstanding hard working family should look like.

3. They can moderate between the political factions and negotiate beyond some partisan nonsense.

4. They are a benefit to international relations being well educated in such things compared to randomly elected dolt.

Those aren't examples.

Give an example of them ever moderating something, and of them ever doing hard work.

The queen just sits on her arse all day and once a year does a speech nobody listens to.

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (25661 posts) -
@emmanuel_lll said:

@toast_burner:

Gladly in fact several:

Basically, what you're saying here in an over-elaborate manner is that they are celebrity ambassadors.

#24 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14999 posts) -

Even though I live in a Commonwealth country, I'm indifferent to the Royal family. However, in general I think monarchies are outdated and no longer necessary... and would prefer my country become a republic. But I don't think it's a priority... we have more important issues.

#25 Posted by darklight4 (2051 posts) -

I don't really think about them.

#26 Edited by Emmanuel_lll (6 posts) -

@toast_burner: You think being the Royal Family is easy compared to your job at McDonald's? They moderate things on a daily basis you are just too uneducated to know better apparently. A simple google search should suffice for your examples the list is more than I care to post here.

#27 Edited by deeliman (3766 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well, I don't know much about the British royalty, but in The Netherlands the King and Queen often go on diplomatic missions on our government's behalve, they're basically diplomats who have been trained from a very young age to represent our country. The King's birthday also gives us all an excuse to get wasted for a day, so there's that.

#28 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9318 posts) -

@emmanuel_lll said:

@toast_burner: You think being the Royal Family is easy compared to your job at McDonald's? They moderate things on a daily basis you are just too uneducated to know better apparently. A simple google search should suffice for your examples the list is more than I care to post here.

It is absolutely easier than a job at McDonald's. It's a job you are born into and can't be fired from, with absolutely zero pressure and an exorbitant salary. There are no easier jobs.

#29 Posted by comp_atkins (34526 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Royal families are a thing of the past that should be abolished, just think of all the money from the uk taxpayers that could be spent on better things than on a spoiled little family who are no different than anyone else in the uk,

how much of it is taxpayer money vs. family wealth? i don't really know how their finances are broken down.

#30 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15177 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Off topic, quite surprised by how pretty she was, so use to her looking like an old bag.

She served in WW2. She been around for a bit.

But seriously, imagine all the change she's seen in the world. I wouldn't mind an hour of her time, I'm sure she's more world-wise and well-spoken than your average Jane.

#31 Edited by Nuck81 (6891 posts) -

They should pay taxes

#32 Posted by Jag85 (11189 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@uninspiredcup said:

She served in WW2. She been around for a bit.

But seriously, imagine all the change she's seen in the world. I wouldn't mind an hour of her time, I'm sure she's more world-wise and well-spoken than your average Jane.

She's been reigning since 1952, which is after WWII. But it was during her reign that the British Empire ended and the Commonwealth of Nations was founded in its place.

#33 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15177 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

She's been reigning since 1952, which is after WWII. But it was during her reign that the British Empire ended and the Commonwealth of Nations was founded in its place.

She served with the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service during WW2. I said nothing of being on the throne during that period.

#34 Edited by Jag85 (11189 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: I must've misunderstood. My bad.